Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Irwin on the Forum Podcast w/John Nabors

Started by The NewEra, January 06, 2017, 10:37:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Oh, and FWIW, I have zero problem with the "good ol' boy" network. Never have.

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 08, 2017, 12:37:36 pm
Oh, and FWIW, I have zero problem with the "good ol' boy" network. Never have.

There's a fine line, and truthfully, the "good ol' boy" network still exists, it's just spread out amongst more "boys" and not as influential. There opinions and money still matters, but with other avenues of money available, it's diluted. I'm sure if a couple of major donors made their thoughts known to Long about a certain subject, it would carry much weight. It only took a couple of middle weight donors in women's basketball to stop the kneeling.

lakecityhog

I listened to the pod cast and have to wonder what BB was thinking all season? Has the pressure to win gotten to him? Has he reached a point where he is willing to sacrifice his principles for wins? and did he forget that those principles are what got him here?

What changed him to allow certain players to cause problems in the locker room? Didn't he know that those problems would carry over to the field?

LZH

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 08, 2017, 01:41:58 pm
I listened to the pod cast and have to wonder what BB was thinking all season? Has the pressure to win gotten to him? Has he reached a point where he is willing to sacrifice his principles for wins? and did he forget that those principles are what got him here?

What changed him to allow certain players to cause problems in the locker room? Didn't he know that those problems would carry over to the field?

Nope. He's just overrated as a coach.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on January 08, 2017, 12:47:32 pm
There's a fine line, and truthfully, the "good ol' boy" network still exists, it's just spread out amongst more "boys" and not as influential. There opinions and money still matters, but with other avenues of money available, it's diluted. I'm sure if a couple of major donors made their thoughts known to Long about a certain subject, it would carry much weight. It only took a couple of middle weight donors in women's basketball to stop the kneeling.

Yep. That "cause" came to an abrupt halt.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

John Nabors

Thank you for all plays on the name folks. I actually got a kick out of it ha. Thanks for listening as well
Twitter: @RushJohnNabors

www.hitthatline.com

prattville pig

John Nabors won awards for singing, not swimming.
Life's too short to last long.

1highhog

Quote from: prattville pig on January 06, 2017, 11:06:43 am
Who is John Nabors?

He was Goobers cousin on the Andy Griffith Show.  He went on to have a show of his own.  He also had a wonderful singing voice and even had and album, and sang on the Andy Griffith Show, they used him one time to show up Barney, who couldn't sing a lick.  I didn't know he was in anyway associated with Arkansas or the Razorbacks though.

Mike Irwin

One of the best insights I ever got on how to run a successful athetic team came from John McDonnell. This guy won national championships at an incredible rate. He told me it was all about developing team leaders and letting them set the tone in the locker-room.

By the time he got his program winning at a high level McDonnell said he rarely had to say squat to his athletes. When they came in as freshmen they were told how it was going to be by the upperclassmen. Long before a problem got back to the head coach the problem had been dealt with by the guys running the locker-room.

His first three seasons at Arkansas Bielema had that kind of a thing going on. This past year was different. He thought the locker-room was running on auto pilot and it wasn't. He's admitted that he saw some warning signs as far back at last spring but didn't think it was a problem.

I think the man knows he screwed up. I think he's determined to make sure that next year's seniors in particular take their job as team leaders a lot more seriously.

At any rate it will become obvious if they're not. I can't see this football program improving if Bielema doesn't get this issue turned around. Hopefully it's already happening because they've got a large group spring enrollees that need to be shown right off the bat what is expected of them.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 15, 2017, 10:17:00 am
One of the best insights I ever got on how to run a successful athetic team came from John McDonnell. This guy won national championships at an incredible rate. He told me it was all about developing team leaders and letting them set the tone in the locker-room.

By the time he got his program winning at a high level McDonnell said he rarely had to say squat to his athletes. When they came in as freshmen they were told how it was going to be by the upperclassmen. Long before a problem got back to the head coach the problem had been dealt with by the guys running the locker-room.

His first three seasons at Arkansas Bielema had that kind of a thing going on. This past year was different. He thought the locker-room was running on auto pilot and it wasn't. He's admitted that he saw some warning signs as far back at last spring but didn't think it was a problem.

I think the man knows he screwed up. I think he's determined to make sure that next year's seniors in particular take their job as team leaders a lot more seriously.

At any rate it will become obvious if they're not. I can't see this football program improving if Bielema doesn't get this issue turned around. Hopefully it's already happening because they've got a large group spring enrollees that need to be shown right off the bat what is expected of them.

Good info Mike. A team needs leadership within the locker room and not just from the staff.
Go Hogs Go!

jgphillips3

Let's hope.  The only thing close to a leader I saw on the field this year was Skipper and he is gone. 

LRHawg

Thanks Mike. Hope we get it turned around and some real leaders emerge. I think that RWIII and Agim can be those leaders.

Big Boi

What happens in the locker has a way of translating to the field. One thing this team showed was a lack of concentration.

ur

Mike Irwin