Started by Porked Tongue, August 20, 2016, 05:14:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

thebignasty

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on August 20, 2016, 07:06:34 pm
If Austin were to go down, our QB is a true freshman

If Austin stays healthy, that freshman will be redshirted

Doesn't seem that hard to figure out.

rude1

This makes perfect sense to me. Let's say you have a kid who is your best no. 2 but not by a lot and still could use a red-shirt, while he is your second best option at qb it would make perfect sense to not play him as your no. 2 to red-shirt him and get 4 solid seasons out of his talents and not waste a season doing mop up duty.

Adam Stokes

For some reason I read this thread with my EA Sports eyes.  So from what I can gather it seems that Austin is probably rated high 80's, then the rest of guys are low 80's at best.  Cole Kelley may be an 82, but the #3 guy may be an 81.  For me, it would still be worth having the 82 guy redshirt since there may not be that much of a difference between #2 & #3 and you get an extra year out of who may be starting next year.

Quote from: rude1 on August 20, 2016, 07:11:48 pm
This makes perfect sense to me. Let's say you have a kid who is your best no. 2 but not by a lot and still could use a red-shirt, while he is your second best option at qb it would make perfect sense to not play him as your no. 2 to red-shirt him and get 4 solid seasons out of his talents and not waste a season doing mop up duty.

Or what this guy said 13 seconds before me.

Bubba's Bruisers

Yes the perfect scenario would seemingly be for either Peavey or Storey barely winning the #2 spot over Kelley.  Then Kelley RS's.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 20, 2016, 07:38:44 pm
Yes the perfect scenario would seemingly be for either Peavey or Storey barely winning the #2 spot over Kelley.  Then Kelley RS's.

My guess, and that is all that it is, is that Kelley does get the R/S this year. If it is true that they view him as being the actual #2 in the future depth chart, we won't see his R/S burned unless the starter goes down and is out for 2 or more games. Otherwise it could be Storey or Peavey (assuming he gets well soon) if it is on a more temporary basis and that of course is assuming that all of the projection and speculation about Kelley is correct. That said, I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the meetings between Enos and Bielema regarding the QB's. I'm not that lucky. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

tophawg19

Peavey is still # 2 . everyone is reading too much into this . many of the '' walking wounded '' sat out the scrimmage . Coach gave the other guys some extra reps to see if they could handle the load. Storey didn't have a good practice , Kelley looks to have had a decent one , but again it was a limited defense . Unless Peavey just can't get healthy he is number 2. As coach said, they already know Peavey can do the job so they held him out
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hawginbigd1

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 20, 2016, 08:00:51 pm
Peavey is still # 2 . everyone is reading too much into this . many of the '' walking wounded '' sat out the scrimmage . Coach gave the other guys some extra reps to see if they could handle the load. Storey didn't have a good practice , Kelley looks to have had a decent one , but again it was a limited defense . Unless Peavey just can't get healthy he is number 2. As coach said, they already know Peavey can do the job so they held him out
You could be right, but then why give Peavey reps with the developmental players.

berryhog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 20, 2016, 08:08:12 pm
You could be right, but then why give Peavey reps with the developmental players.

Peavey sat out today.  Town got the developmental reps.

Bubba's Bruisers

I remember when Town transferred in.  The seemingly common consensus was that Town was the heir apparent and that Peavey would likely be the guy to transfer.  AA was barely even mentioned too.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

tophawg19

right now Peavey is resting the back . Like coach said , he knows what he has in Peavey . but if he gets hurt worse, then you have to go with Storey or Kelley . So you needed this to see if we have 3 ready to go. It's not unheard of to wind up having to use 4 in a season . Peaveys strength is Arm strength and mobility ,neither of which are great with a hurt back. He knows the offense so playing him today served no purpose he can get the back up reps as we prepare for the season. Same thing with others that were held out today

berryhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 20, 2016, 08:18:31 pm
I remember when Town transferred in.  The seemingly common consensus was that Town was the heir apparent and that Peavey would likely be the guy to transfer.  AA was barely even mentioned too.

I can think of one member in particular.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: berryhog on August 20, 2016, 08:15:02 pm
Peavey sat out today.  Town got the developmental reps.
Carter wrote Peavey was getting Town reps today so he clearly is out of the #2 mix. He was there I was not so......

berryhog

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: berryhog on August 20, 2016, 08:23:22 pm
I can think of one member in particular.

It was more than just one.  It was initialy Town mania in general around here.  I mean he was a freshmen transfer from USC.  No way we had anyone of his pedigree.  It would just be a matter of time before he took the helm with Peavey being the likely transfer.

Not even close so far.

tophawg19

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 20, 2016, 08:24:43 pm
Carter wrote Peavey was getting Town reps today so he clearly is out of the #2 mix. He was there I was not so......
Coach said they held Peavey out to rest . HE DID NOT WANT HIM WITH THE DEVELOPMENTAL TEAM . I don't know who carter is but I;m PRETTY SURE  CBB was at practice today

Bubba's Bruisers

hawginbigd1

Quote from: berryhog on August 20, 2016, 08:27:39 pm

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/aug/20/cole-kelley-shines-rafe-peavey-out-second-scrimmag/

Ok I didn't see this correction, I also don't see where he wrote the bit I posted earlier about Peavey clearly not in the mix either.

— Team actually moved to the indoor facility. Ricky Town is finally in, working now with the developmental group. CORRECTION: No Rafe Peavey today. He didn't dress out. An earlier report incorrectly listed Peavey as playing sparingly. — JC

berryhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 20, 2016, 08:28:56 pm
It was more than just one.  It was initialy Town mania in general around here.  I mean he was a freshmen transfer from USC.  No way we had anyone of his pedigree.  It would just be a matter of time before he took the helm with Peavey being the likely transfer.

Not even close so far.

Definitely more than one.  However, there is one that still bangs that drum very loudly...

tophawg19

that is a reporter who clearly writes without checking facts . He should have at least checked CBB's report and get a list of QB numbers

FreshHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 20, 2016, 06:03:11 pm
So how should we perceive our QB depth if the true Freshman wins the #2 spot?  I guess on one hand you could argue the positive that Kelley is just that good.  Or you could go the more negative route and that our backups aren't that good.

Im going with it just means he's that good.

The other 3 backup QB's were all considered fantastic prospects... The fact that Kelley has come in and seemingly passed most of em is nothing shy of remarkable.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 20, 2016, 08:36:48 pm
that is a reporter who clearly writes without checking facts . He should have at least checked CBB's report and get a list of QB numbers
Read this and it seems he is doubling down like Trump on his assessment of Peavey.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/aug/20/observations-notes-arkansas-second-fall-scrimmage/

tophawg19

Dude is just giving an opinion to hear himself talk . that clearly wasn't close to what CBB said . Just another hack writer trying to stir up conversation for attention. and puts his opinion above that of the coaches . then had to back track when proven wrong. Maybe we know R. SHIELDS OTHER NAME

BPsTheMan

Anway, per the OP title...

yes, Kelley is the real #2, and it's kind of by a mile

That's the story folks. A true freshman has relegated the Peavey-or-Ty-or-Town argument to the back of the line.

DiamondHogFan

So...Town is really #5 on the QB depth chart?  If you would have said 2 years ago that Ricky Town would be #5 on our depth chart for 2016 everyone would be thrilled...

BPsTheMan

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on August 20, 2016, 09:09:47 pm
So...Town is really #5 on the QB depth chart?  If you would have said 2 years ago that Ricky Town would be #5 on our depth chart for 2016 everyone would be thrilled...

No one can say that right now - he's a good QB, he will be heard from

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on August 20, 2016, 09:13:05 pm

No one can say that right now - he's a good QB, he will be heard from
Right, I was just going by that tweet posted earlier with him being on the developmental group.  Town has talent.  It may just be a systems thing and the others are adapting better.  From these limited reports,  it seems as if Kelley is comfortable in the Enos offense.  Will be interesting to see how it all plays out over the next few seasons, but I'm hoping we have no QB drama this year and AA is in the first team huddle all year.  The future seems to be in good hands though.

tophawg19

Sorry to disagree but there is no way CBB goes with a true freshmen who is throwing picks against our back up's,  backup's . Coach has said he is still making Harry High School mistakes .Peavey knows the whole offense and wouldn't require the changes in playbook a true freshmen would . It's one thing to look ok in scrimmage with the defense being held in check, quite another when an SEC defense is coming after you

BPsTheMan

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 20, 2016, 09:18:42 pm
Sorry to disagree but there is no way CBB goes with a true freshmen who is throwing picks against our back up's,  backup's . Coach has said he is still making Harry High School mistakes .Peavey knows the whole offense and wouldn't require the changes in playbook a true freshmen would . It's one thing to look ok in scrimmage with the defense being held in check, quite another when an SEC defense is coming after you

jabohog

I think Bielema is just trying to send Peavy a message. Peavy will be #2.

Porked Tongue

First, Jimmy Carter is a good writer and gives a lot of effort.  He'll let you know if it's his opinion. 

Secondly, I think from the quotes it's easy to see they know that Kelley walks the walk and talks the talk of a future big time QB.  But as we all know this is AA's baby.  I said it upfront and others have as well that the perfect scenario is he gets to redshirt.

The big picture here is we have potentially found us a jewel that appears to be ready sooner than later.  That is good news and not an indictment on who was already here.  If we're ever going to be really good and consistently good we need to get used to this kind of potential at skilled positions.

It's nice to have internal competition on a high level.

ricepig

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 20, 2016, 09:31:05 pm
First, Jimmy Carter is a good writer and gives a lot of effort.  He'll let you know if it's his opinion. 

Secondly, I think from the quotes it's easy to see they know that Kelley walks the walk and talks the talk of a future big time QB.  But as we all know this is AA's baby.  I said it upfront and others have as well that the perfect scenario is he gets to redshirt.

The big picture here is we have potentially found us a jewel that appears to be ready sooner than later.  That is good news and not an indictment on who was already here.  If we're ever going to be really good and consistently good we need to get used to this kind of potential at skilled positions.

It's nice to have internal competition on a high level.

Can't have that, it conflicts with those who are the various Presidents of the different back up QB fan clubs. I have no idea who the #2 is, nor do I care.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2016, 09:35:26 pm
Can't have that, it conflicts with those who are the various Presidents of the different back up QB fan clubs. I have no idea who the #2 is, nor do I care.
Can any of them play cornerback?

Porked Tongue

It's nice that we're not having this convo about who should be #1. :)

I see that as evolution amongst ourselves.   Next year, we'll argue about who will be the starting deep snapper.

BPsTheMan

I'm the new President of #2

>:(

ricepig

hamstring

Quote from: a0ashle on August 20, 2016, 05:55:11 pm
People are thinking too hard about this. it's not a hard concept. Basically OPis saying he'll be 3rd on official depth chart, but if AA were to be out multiple games, he'd be the one to take over.
Exactly! allot of overanalyzing going on.

gawntrail

Corndoggers must be galacticly bent.  They need a semi-accurate QB to hit the basic routes to take the heat off the running game.  And, we nabbed a LA kid who might just be a 3 yr starter for us....  This alone gets coaches fired.

Oklahawg

We have done this several times over the years - a player travels just in case but gets to redshirt. If a major ailment were to hit AA I bet Kelley gets the nod. But, short of that he'll RS.

This is amazing news.

And, it completely obscures even bigger news - how good AA has looked this fall.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 20, 2016, 11:16:18 pm
We have done this several times over the years - a player travels just in case but gets to redshirt. If a major ailment were to hit AA I bet Kelley gets the nod. But, short of that he'll RS.

This is amazing news.

And, it completely obscures even bigger news - how good AA has looked this fall.
I may not be taking your post exactly how you mean it, about how good AA has been this fall, but I agree with what I think you're saying. We have a bunch of highly regarded QBs battling for the backup job. We have a clear cut starter so he must be pretty dang good! As retarded as all this arguing over the backup spot is....WE'RE ARGUING OVER THE BACKUP. If AA stays healthy then we should be in a real nice spot with AA running the O.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

I know this type of information won't ever come out, but I'm dying to know how each QB is progressing.

Are they all of similar ability but one learns quicker?
Is one improving slowly?

This would explain a lot since they all came in as highly recruited QBs.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 20, 2016, 06:25:39 pm
Yes, you hope that, but it might be telling that a true freshman QB beat out say a RS sophomore QB.  Especially when we've pretty much been touting our supposed new-found QB talent and depth in Fayetteville prior to Kelley's arrival.  A month ago, I really don't think anyone even considered this posibility, because of the belief we were in good shape at the position.

I'm only attempting to consider the QB position, not others where this scenario is fairly common.

You could tell Enos was not impressed with the QBs on campus by all the transfers they tried to get to come here.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: ShadowHawg on August 21, 2016, 02:05:27 am
You could tell Enos was not impressed with the QBs on campus by all the transfers they tried to get to come here.

And this has worried me for a while......If true.

You're not the first person to write that on here though.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

The Great Hambino

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 20, 2016, 08:18:55 pm
right now Peavey is resting the back . Like coach said , he knows what he has in Peavey . but if he gets hurt worse, then you have to go with Storey or Kelley . So you needed this to see if we have 3 ready to go. It's not unheard of to wind up having to use 4 in a season . Peaveys strength is Arm strength and mobility ,neither of which are great with a hurt back. He knows the offense so playing him today served no purpose he can get the back up reps as we prepare for the season. Same thing with others that were held out today

We are more ready at QB than Baylor last year.

The NewEra

If the #2 Q.B. position were a stock, I would wait until September 3rd to buy or fold.  All these questions will be answered by then.  Patience folks!  We don't know what we don't know.

The_Iceman

As normal, I bet we dont see anything real substantive from our backup QB in the first game. They will play Austin Allen one or two more series than we really need to, then the backup will just hand the ball off.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 21, 2016, 08:57:53 am
As normal, I bet we dont see anything real substantive from our backup QB in the first game. They will play Austin Allen one or two more series than we really need to, then the backup will just hand the ball off.

I hope you're right!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 21, 2016, 08:57:53 am

I just want to see AA get pulled during victory time.

We need to have the backup get some game snaps.
It gives them experience.
It possibly saves AA from injury.
His response to me:

longpig

I disagree.  Like with every position of need, you don't redshirt a freshman who could compete for playing time sooner than the others.  Arkansas is thin at QB just like they are at MLB.  Scoota won't be redshirted and neither will Kelley, because we need them now.
Don't be scared, be smart.

ricepig

Quote from: longpig on August 21, 2016, 09:12:42 am
I disagree.  Like with every position of need, you don't redshirt a freshman who could compete for playing time sooner than the others.  Arkansas is thin at QB just like they are at MLB.  Scoota won't be redshirted and neither will Kelley, because we need them now.
Barring an injury to AA, Kelley won't play this year, IMO.