Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UK Stuff

Started by Porked Tongue, October 03, 2017, 05:43:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Porked Tongue on October 03, 2017, 05:43:43 pm
Ref's sues radio guys.

https://theathletic.com/117389/2017/10/03/exclusive-referee-higgins-files-lawsuit-against-kentucky-based-media-company-over-fan-threats/

Governor getting out in front of looming trouble?

https://deadspin.com/kentucky-governor-on-ncaa-scandal-pay-the-players-alre-1819118806

The governor of KY is dead wrong when he says most of the athletes are there for athletics instead of academics. Maybe they are at crooked places like KY basketball and Louisville basketball but most players around the country know that VERY FEW actually make it to the pros. Heck I know a guy in the pro football hall of fame that had no clue he was going to be in the pros his first couple of years in college.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

FATHAWG08

Kentucky Governor is dead on. Kentucky recruits are One & Done players.Their players are there to play basketball. Their College experience is one semester. You want to get rid of the Money let the players go pro after High School. If they choose to go to college make them go until their Jr. Season or when they turn 21 just like baseball.
I love off season Football!!

onebadrubi

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on October 03, 2017, 06:19:31 pm
Kentucky Governor is dead on. Kentucky recruits are One & Done players.Their players are there to play basketball. Their College experience is one semester. You want to get rid of the Money let the players go pro after High School. If they choose to go to college make them go until their Jr. Season or when they turn 21 just like baseball.

While I agree completely, all of the money backing these kids from NBA, agents, NBAPA, apparel, marketing agents, etc all want them out sooner.  The NCAA is the small fish in all of that so what they want may not happen.  I also think it will take a major shift in the NCAA management to get any change.  I think the corruption starts at the top...

Porked Tongue

Regardless of what the Gov of Kentucky,Lexington thinks there is more at stake here with this FBI and soon to be IRS investigation.

This misuse and shifting of money is the trump card for trouble. 

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Porked Tongue on October 03, 2017, 07:26:42 pm
Regardless of what the Gov of Kentucky,Lexington thinks there is more at stake here with this FBI and soon to be IRS investigation.

This misuse and shifting of money is the trump card for trouble.

Fingers crossed.  I personally think the guy just says everything his voters want to hear. 

MountieDawg

When will you people get it...They have to finish 2 semesters or their APR would be awful and they would lose scholarships...
SEC!

ShadowHawg

The one and done guys are only active in terms of on campus student body participation for one semester. What about that don't YOU get?

They are finishing their "studies" per NCAA guidelines but they are working out for teams, traveling, and meeting with agents etc instead of enjoying the college life come Spring.

onebadrubi

Quote from: MountieDawg on October 04, 2017, 09:09:46 am
When will you people get it...They have to finish 2 semesters or their APR would be awful and they would lose scholarships...

When will you people get it.... that second semester is BS for the monk types.

3kgthog

A second semester of online time wasting classes. It's not hard to pass History of Board Games while sitting in your undies in that 4-star hotel they call a basketball dorm.

Pig in the Pokey

soooooo, you MAD b/c they dont get paid (they actually DO get paid, 8k per semester iirc- total cost of attendance) for a 6 month internship? LOTS of people do internships, especially seeking multi-million dollar contracts. Cry me a river.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

MountieDawg

No, you are wrong because you paint the picture that you want to believe is true to make you feel better... School is over in April at Kentucky, everyone at university of Kentucky... They usually play til April... The draft is not til much later, they have a great work out facility there and NBA players from many different teams go there to work out.  I know I am wasting my time, its like telling a person a gun does not shoot people, the person with the gun is the one shooting people.
SEC!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: MountieDawg on October 04, 2017, 02:59:31 pm
No, you are wrong because you paint the picture that you want to believe is true to make you feel better... School is over in April at Kentucky, everyone at university of Kentucky... They usually play til April... The draft is not til much later, they have a great work out facility there and NBA players from many different teams go there to work out.  I know I am wasting my time, its like telling a person a gun does not shoot people, the person with the gun is the one shooting people.

You just made the point that these guys don't interact with the rest of the student body beyond November through the end of the Spring semester. That is not participating in the college experience.

They will never participate in student government of any sort. They won't make it past being a pledge in Greek life.

They will only be athletes. You lose.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 03, 2017, 05:50:13 pm
The governor of KY is dead wrong when he says most of the athletes are there for athletics instead of academics.

If there is a worse governor in any of the other 50 states, I don't know who it is.  KY's gov. is a real doozy...

MountieDawg

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 04, 2017, 03:25:12 pm
You just made the point that these guys don't interact with the rest of the student body beyond November through the end of the Spring semester. That is not participating in the college experience.

They will never participate in student government of any sort. They won't make it past being a pledge in Greek life.

They will only be athletes. You lose.

You are right... What percentage of students in college participate in student government, greek life... They do have over a billion dollars in NBA contracts at the moment.  If college is supposed to prepare you for the rest of your life, I would say mission accomplished!
SEC!

sickboy

If you think most athletes these days are playing at a D1 SEC program and are there for the academics, you're living in a dream world.

Hoggish1

KY Governor is a miscreant.  Now he wants to pay KY players legally... LMAO

hogwood

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 04, 2017, 10:45:39 am
soooooo, you MAD b/c they dont get paid (they actually DO get paid, 8k per semester iirc- total cost of attendance) for a 6 month internship? LOTS of people do internships, especially seeking multi-million dollar contracts. Cry me a river.

Repost!

mbgrulz

Quote from: sickboy on October 06, 2017, 02:18:08 pm
If you think most athletes these days are playing at a D1 SEC program and are there for the academics, you're living in a dream world.
Who lives in a bigger dream world...the 90% of athletes who have no shot at the pros, or the people who think they should be satisfied with an all expenses paid education?

The Hogfather

October 14, 2017, 10:42:14 pm #19 Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 05:20:12 am by The Hogfather
Quote from: sickboy on October 06, 2017, 02:18:08 pm

Everyone knows that these guys are there as a "stepping stone to the pros" in their minds.  Problem is, most of them aren't pro material.  They SHOULD be there for the free tuition, room/board, coaching, marketing, training, fame, equipment, clothing, girls, books, tutors, etc.  These guys get $100k+ worth of stuff per year and act like it is nothing.  If they are not appreciating ALL of those things, they are the dumbasses, not the ones saying they should value such things.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 05, 2017, 07:36:05 am
If there is a worse governor in any of the other 50 states, I don't know who it is.  KY's gov. is a real doozy...
Do you live here?
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

parallaxpig

Quote from: MountieDawg on October 04, 2017, 09:09:46 am

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=3393470

Freshmen need to be eligible only from one semester to the next, and they can pass just six hours in the fall semester (in most cases, just two classes) and still be eligible. A freshman could skip classes entirely in the spring semester and declare for the NBA draft when the season ends.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

MountieDawg

Quote from: parallaxpig on October 15, 2017, 08:35:48 am
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=3393470

Freshmen need to be eligible only from one semester to the next, and they can pass just six hours in the fall semester (in most cases, just two classes) and still be eligible. A freshman could skip classes entirely in the spring semester and declare for the NBA draft when the season ends.

Nice up to date article from 2008, did you pull it out of your Encyclopedia.   Here is an article from this year destroying the fair news even from the NBA commish.  http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/why-adam-silvers-comments-on-the-one-and-done-rule-miss-the-mark-060117?utm_campaign=share_buttons&utm_medium=fscom&utm_content=return_visit&utm_source=share_em

For example, when John Calipari recruits a kid to Kentucky, one of the demands he places on him – even if that player is destined to be the first pick in the draft – is that he finishes the spring semester. His basic logic is, "We're going to do everything we can to help you make your dream come true (play in the NBA). But you've got to help us too."
SEC!

azhog10

Quote from: MountieDawg on October 15, 2017, 10:55:24 am
Nice up to date article from 2008, did you pull it out of your Encyclopedia.   Here is an article from this year destroying the fair news even from the NBA commish.  http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/why-adam-silvers-comments-on-the-one-and-done-rule-miss-the-mark-060117?utm_campaign=share_buttons&utm_medium=fscom&utm_content=return_visit&utm_source=share_em

For example, when John Calipari recruits a kid to Kentucky, one of the demands he places on him – even if that player is destined to be the first pick in the draft – is that he finishes the spring semester. His basic logic is, "We're going to do everything we can to help you make your dream come true (play in the NBA). But you've got to help us too."
Not bad if you want the rest of the contract Cal and the recruit agreed to.

rude1

Quote from: The Hogfather on October 14, 2017, 10:42:14 pm
Everyone knows that these guys are there as a "stepping stone to the pros" in their minds.  Problem is, most of them aren't pro material.  They SHOULD be there for the free tuition, room/board, coaching, marketing, training, fame, equipment, clothing, girls, books, tutors, etc.  These guys get $100k+ worth of stuff per year and act like it is nothing.  If they are not appreciating ALL of those things, they are the dumbasses, not the ones saying they should value such things.
Just curious, let's say you have a special skill, someone comes to you and say I will pay for your college education in exchange for the use of that special skill you possess. Because of the use of your skill they are making millions of dollars and you are getting a free  education, would you at any point question the deal or would you be satisfied that your skills was making them rich while getting you an education?

parallaxpig

Quote from: rude1 on October 15, 2017, 11:25:05 am
Just curious, let's say you have a special skill, someone comes to you and say I will pay for your college education in exchange for the use of that special skill you possess. Because of the use of your skill they are making millions of dollars and you are getting a free  education, would you at any point question the deal or would you be satisfied that your skills was making them rich while getting you an education?
Quote from: MountieDawg on October 15, 2017, 10:55:24 am
Nice up to date article from 2008, did you pull it out of your Encyclopedia.   

1 + 1 = 2. Not gonna change whether it's from a 2008 or 2017 text book.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

onebadrubi

Quote from: rude1 on October 15, 2017, 11:25:05 am

You are opening a big void for valuations