Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How much does the developmental basketball facility help recruiting and retaining NBA prospects?

Started by luke hawg, March 22, 2015, 11:54:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

luke hawg

How limited are our current players in regards to gym access for physical and skill development?

passinghog

aar0n

I wouldn't say they're "limited" at all by our current facilities, but they are by the NCAA practice rules.  They have all of the space to practice, work out, and have sit-downs that they need currently, it's just not all in one place.  That's where the NCAA time limits on team activities affect the overall product, having to leave the building to go somewhere else to work out or study film, then possibly come back to the practice court, then work out, etc. 

Plus the fancy lounges and locker rooms have a professional basketball feel to them that just screams "MONEY!!" and every 18 year old is influenced by it.  When I was playing football at a crappy (now shut down) school in NLR that literally had a shed for a field house and we would go play schools like PA or CAC that had nice facilities all around, myself and every other player couldn't help but think "man I WISH I either played here or our stuff was this nice!"  It's immediately in your head that these guys are brought up better than you, trained better than you, have more resources than you, and you're intimidated from the start.  You can't help but think "how much better would I be if I had this to work with?"  THAT is the point of the new facility.

luke hawg

Quote from: Showtimehog on March 22, 2015, 11:58:45 am
No building is going to help "retain NBA prospects..."
So if Michael Qualls wants to work on his pull up jumper during wal marts week long shareholders convention in Bud Walton or during girls practice time, where does he go?

Tusks

I think it helps with players that end up staying all 4 years because they are not a lock for NBA money.  With Mike's system if he can get players that are JR & SR to be 20% better then that might be the difference in a game like the UNC game.

It's not going to stop the crap 12 conference from $$$ players.....and right now they are but it will help even the playing field a little in recruiting.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

passinghog

Quote from: luke hawg on March 22, 2015, 12:16:01 pm

So if Michael Qualls wants to work on his pull up jumper during wal marts week long shareholders convention in Bud Walton or during girls practice time, where does he go?

My premise was that it's not going to be the reason he doesn't go to the draft. The building is a positive because our guys will have a place to go at any hour to work on their game. But if they're teady to go pro, they'll go.

luke hawg

Quote from: Showtimehog on March 22, 2015, 01:00:36 pm
My premise was that it's not going to be the reason he doesn't go to the draft. The building is a positive because our guys will have a place to go at any hour to work on their game. But if they're teady to go pro, they'll go.
So we have a different opinion on what is an NBA prospect. I appreciate the back track. I am not an expert on evaluating potential NBA talent or the daily routine of razorback basketball players. I was looking for an answer from someone with more knowledge on the subject matter. The affirmation of your initial response led me to believe that person was you. Thanks for clearing that up after my prompting.

(notOM)Rebel123

Hyper building. About a block north. Sadly.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

luke hawg

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 22, 2015, 01:17:49 pm
Hyper building. About a block north.

I went to the hyper occasionally from 02-06 and would occasionally see players on the first court. For a game that requires so much practice to improve if that is their best option staying an extra year vs leaving for unlimited access to facilities would be a no brainer. Where does the basketball team perform physical training?

snortman

One week and his game goes to s**t. Wow that would be an atrocity into it self. I guess Norman Dale was wrong, all goal are not the same.

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 22, 2015, 01:17:49 pm
Hyper building. About a block north. Sadly.

Men's Gym, wait, they're turning that into a concert hall. I doubt he could our team off the court, got to win you know........

luke hawg

Quote from: snortman on March 22, 2015, 01:30:52 pm
One week and his game goes to s**t. Wow that would be an atrocity into it self. I guess Norman Dale was wrong, all goal are not the same.
Is this sarcasm?

luke hawg

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2015, 01:33:40 pm
Men's Gym, wait, they're turning that into a concert hall. I doubt he could our team off the court, got to win you know........
Huh?

k.c.hawg

The facility is not built to retain NBA prospects. It is built to recruit. After building it, your hope is it attracts some NBA prospects and allows those that are not to improve their game year after year. The secondary benefit is the 90+% of your players that will never play any professional basketball get to utilize one of the best facilities in college basketball as a reward for being a Razorback. Razorback pride.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

passinghog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on March 22, 2015, 01:47:47 pm
The facility is not built to retain NBA prospects. It is built to recruit. After building it, your hope is it attracts some NBA prospects and allows those that are not to improve their game year after year. The secondary benefit is the 90+% of your players that will never play any professional basketball get to utilize one of the best facilities in college basketball as a reward for being a Razorback. Razorback pride.

Thank you. How can anyone not understand this?

PonderinHog

passinghog

Danny J

ricepig

Quote from: luke hawg on March 22, 2015, 01:36:25 pm
Huh?

The Men's Gym is where we used to play basketball in the 70's, once you got on a court, there were 2, it was make and take, and the winner's stayed up.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: snortman on March 22, 2015, 01:30:52 pm

Only reason Norman Dale won was because Jimmy Chitwood decided to play.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2015, 02:09:44 pm
The Men's Gym is where we used to play basketball in the 70's, once you got on a court, there were 2, it was make and take, and the winner's stayed up.

ricepig

lrcentral

I would guess his apartment complex, a school, a church, or any house with a 10 year old one. It only takes a hoop and a ball.

Larry Bird did it with a dirt patch and a rim attached to a barn. That facility isnt magically going to make players better or one and dones come to Arkansas.

Danny J

Quote from: lrcentral on March 22, 2015, 02:17:48 pm
I would guess his apartment complex, a school, a church, or any house with a 10 year old one. It only takes a hoop and a ball.

Larry Bird did it with a dirt patch and a rim attached to a barn. That facility isnt magically going to make players better or one and dones come to Arkansas.

Coach A...So Mr. Monk what do you think about coming to Arkansas?

Monk....Well it is close to home but where do I practice at 10pm when I can't sleep and want to work on my game?

Coach A...I think there is a church 5 miles down the road that has a hoop in their parking lot.

Monk...Sounds good!! Where do I sign?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2015, 02:16:48 pm
It also doubled where we registered, got your "cards" for classes. Man, I'm getting old, think I'll take a nap.

Ha! Yes it did.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Danny J on March 22, 2015, 02:23:36 pm
Coach A...So Mr. Monk what do you think about coming to Arkansas?

Monk....Well it is close to home but where do I practice at 10pm when I can't sleep and want to work on my game?

Coach A...I think there is a church 5 miles down the road that has a hoop in their parking lot.

Monk...Sounds good!! Where do I sign?

Coach A: You'll have your own key to BWA and we'll send over a car to pick you up.

Naw, seriously, he won't have to leave his  Fayetteville apartment......