Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching Questions

Started by stevenjoec, March 21, 2015, 11:50:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

stevenjoec

I don't post a lot, but there are a couple of things that have driven me crazy this year.  So i'm hoping someone with more insight can share their thoughts with me.

1) Why is Jacori Williams playing so much, if at all?
2) Why do we not attempt to block out and rebound?  To me, its a basic fundamental.  Put a butt in their gut.  I understand we're trying to push the tempo but you have to have the ball.  We don't crash the boards at all!!

I'm super proud of this team and what they accomplished.  We were outmatched tonight and played sloppy, but I"m still super proud of what they did!  Can't wait until next year!!

Danny J

1...Because he is what we have at the 4 spot when Harris needed a rest. He has potential to be a good back up at that spot and you could see that early on with his mid range shot. That went away as soon as SEC play started. So next year we will have a legit 4 coming in that will be starting by SEC play if he is healthy.

2....We do try and block out but its hard when you are in a zone and its also hard when the primary ball handler is getting by his man leading to rotations and jumping to block shots. We do practice blocking out. I am not sure how the rebounding ended up but at half time we were ahead 28-24 on the boards and they had 14 second chance points and we had 13. Now....whenever we get a chance to run in transition that is what we want to do so we don't stand around looking for a man to block out if we can help it.

Our main problem tonight and other times this season were turnovers. That killed us tonight. What did we end up with? 22? You are not going to win many games committing more than 15 turnovers.

PoormansRobbyHampton

1.) Jacorey has had some moments this year. Admittedly, tonight wasn't really his night and we probably should have adjusted to that sooner. I thought that Anthlon had a good night, but Alandise wasn't a lot better.

2.) I'm not sure if that's an execution issue or what. It sure didn't help us tonight.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: Danny J on March 21, 2015, 11:57:28 pm

Our main problem tonight and other times this season were turnovers. That killed us tonight. What did we end up with? 22? You are not going to win many games committing more than 15 turnovers.

Right. Thought it was interesting that everyone (including myself) thought that we'd force the turnovers on defense and North Carolina would have no answer. It ended up being the opposite.

Danny J

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on March 22, 2015, 12:01:19 am
Right. Thought it was interesting that everyone (including myself) thought that we'd force the turnovers on defense and North Carolina would have no answer. It ended up being the opposite.
Yep...ended up playing too fast on offense for our own good. We just don't have the guards who can consistently score and handle the ball to make plays. The UNC length really caused us issues especially in the passing lane. I counted at least 5 turnovers that were a direct result of trying to throw around or over their length. Also the ball slipped out of our hands at least 6 times. I think Bell had 3 of them. Just playing faster than they are capable of playing. That will improve next season with more work in the gym and adding a guy like Whitt.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: Danny J on March 22, 2015, 12:07:39 am
Yep...ended up playing too fast on offense for our own good. We just don't have the guards who can consistently score and handle the ball to make plays. The UNC length really caused us issues especially in the passing lane. I counted at least 5 turnovers that were a direct result of trying to throw around or over their length. Also the ball slipped out of our hands at least 6 times. I think Bell had 3 of them. Just playing faster than they are capable of playing. That will improve next season with more work in the gym and adding a guy like Whitt.

The offense kinda reverted back to where it was before Beard was inserted into the lineup to play important minutes. I noticed the brace on his ankle, but he didnt seem to be moving THAT terribly bad. As hard as he goes, it hard to be effective when injured, though.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.