Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A look back.

Started by PoormansRobbyHampton, March 21, 2015, 11:27:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PoormansRobbyHampton

This was a fun season. Obviously, it didn't end where we wanted it to, but it was nothing to hang our heads about either. I enjoyed this team and am looking forward.

Tonight, as I nurse my third (maybe fourth) Yuengling of the night, I'm forced to think back to another game against North Carolina in the NCAA Tournament.

The year was 1993 and "Richardson's Runts" had overachieved all year, making it to the Sweet 16 against the Tar Heels.

We lost the game 80-74. It sucked.

However, just over a year later, we were celebrating a national championship.

Now, those things are hard to come by. If you offered me an Elite Eight next year right now, I'd sign up quickly.

But, if Bobby Portis does indeed decide to return. And Michael Qualls has one season left in the tank, we have a lot to look forward to.

Gang, I'm as disappointed as anyone. But I'm excited for the possibilities of the future.

pigbacon

PonderinHog

Yeah, I remember that year and that team.  We played Carolina closer than any team they faced throughout the tourney.  We had our chance to beat them that year, just like we did tonight, but you have to learn to crawl before you walk before you run.  It's a process.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 21, 2015, 11:43:55 pm
Yeah, I remember that year and that team.  We played Carolina closer than any team they faced throughout the tourney.  We had our chance to beat them that year, just like we did tonight, but you have to learn to crawl before you walk before you run.  It's a process.

That's exactly right. I want to say we were tied with under five minutes and they just outexecuted us. We knew that we had a good team, but we simply weren't ready and they were.

I don't think that this year's Carolina team is any great shakes, but they were the better team tonight and they certainly have more than their fair share of players as well.

I feel like we'll be better because of this loss in 8-9 months.