Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Portis Said He's Coming Back Next Year

Started by collins4heisman, March 21, 2015, 10:48:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

collins4heisman

In the post game press conference (according to Dudley Dawson)

texas tush hog

Quote from: collins4heisman on March 21, 2015, 10:48:20 pm
In the post game press conference (according to Dudley Dawson)

I hope he means it, I think he realizes now that he is not NBA ready and he will be giving up a ton of money if he leaves now. Hopefully he gets some sage advice from Sidney and Corliss and not some of these yehus on Hogville.

Pigonometry

Could be just emotion talking after losing.  I remember Corliss saying the same thing after 1995 title game loss. We will have to wait and see.
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Pigonometry on March 21, 2015, 11:14:17 pm
Could be just emotion talking after losing.  I remember Corliss saying the same thing after 1995 title game loss. We will have to wait and see.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

lefty08

Quote from: Pigonometry on March 21, 2015, 11:14:17 pm

Corliss had his title, Bobby wants one of his own
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

McKdaddy

Quote from: lefty08 on March 21, 2015, 11:25:17 pm

Perhaps so. I'll believe he's leaving until the draft deadline passes....hoping of course to be dead wrong.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: McKdaddy on March 22, 2015, 12:24:36 am
Perhaps so. I'll believe he's leaving until the draft deadline passes....hoping of course to be dead wrong.
This is my stance, also. I guess we'll find out no later than April 16th.

cosmodrum

If we get him and Qualls back, then we will see something pretty special next year.
Go away, batin'

Westcoasthog

Bobby Portis  I hope that you are a mind of your word.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: Westcoasthog on March 22, 2015, 01:16:18 am
    Bobby Portis  I hope that you are a mind of your word.
Bobby Portis has already proven he is a man of his word when he said he was going to be a Hog his 10th grade year & then he became one when he could have gone anywhere he wanted. Bobby owes nothing to us as fans. Do not hold him for what he said after a very emotional time in his young adult life. If Bobby comes back I will be as happy as anyone. If he decides to leave I will remember him as one the best!
I love off season Football!!

gmarv

so april the 16th. is D-day.if he goes pro I,ll be very happy for him.if he comes back I,ll just be happy.

nchogg

It's his choice and I will be behind him either way.

Hogz87

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 22, 2015, 12:40:56 am
If we get him and Qualls back, then we will see something pretty special next year.
Yeah, next year we'd actually have pretty high quality depth with the addition of Whitt and Tabita, and the natural progression in players like Beard, Babb, and Kingsley, all three being players who have fairly high ceilings as college players.

Hawg Red

Happens all the time. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist said the same thing. I think Bobby does come back, but not because he said so after an emotional loss. We'll just have to sweat it out until the deadline passes and he hasn't declared.

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: sooeey pig pig pig on March 22, 2015, 01:04:42 am
Portis is not the answer.

Question:  Which current Hog is not capable of leading us to the Final Four next year?

You are correct. Portis is not the answer.

latrops

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 22, 2015, 12:40:56 am

I'm not disagreeing, but need a little convincing.  We had Portis and Qualls this year and were good, but not great.  We lose Madden and Harris but pick up Whitt and Kapita.  I like the incoming guys, but how much impact do they have as freshemen?  Is Jacorey going to get 20ish minutes a game, and if so, isn't that a bad sign?

The real Hogules

Quote from: lefty08 on March 21, 2015, 11:25:17 pm

Bobby said a while back that he wanted to earn TWO SEC POTY awards, like Corliss had done while at the UofA.
Considering that he'd have to come back to accomplish his stated goal I was semi-confident at that time that Bobby would be returning to school for at least one more season, but it's great to know that is still his plan.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

jgphillips3

The difference here is there has been a LOT of chatter that Portis would come back to try and get his degree and lead Arkansas deep into the NCAA's.  MA has shown NO signs of trying to add another person to our roster and you think he would if HE thought Portis was gone.  Corliss was known to be going pro and only said he would come back in a moment of disappointment.  If he can get the big money, Portis may be smart to go but the way he said it sure sounds like he meant it, not just out of disappointment.

latrops

Quote from: McKdaddy on March 22, 2015, 12:24:36 am

I wonder if his draft stock has been affected any by the last couple of weeks.  He was already projected as a mid first round pick.  If his stock starts trending in the wrong direction, even just slightly, he at least might have to give greater consideration to his options. 

At least there is a fair chance that he comes back....where it looked very unlikely earlier in the season.

770john111

If Portis and Qualls come back it will set Arkansas up to be very good for many years imo.

johnnytkb

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on March 22, 2015, 01:44:49 am
Bobby Portis has already proven he is a man of his word when he said he was going to be a Hog his 10th grade year & then he became one when he could have gone anywhere he wanted. Bobby owes nothing to us as fans. Do not hold him for what he said after a very emotional time in his young adult life. If Bobby comes back I will be as happy as anyone. If he decides to leave I will remember him as one the best!
Quote from: FATHAWG08 on March 22, 2015, 01:44:49 am

Right on

bphi11ips

Quote from: The real Hogules on March 22, 2015, 08:31:15 am
Bobby said a while back that he wanted to earn TWO SEC POTY awards, like Corliss had done while at the UofA.

Bobby Portis is an uncommon man.  He's coming back because he wants to and because he knows there is life after the NBA.

One day 10 will be in the rafters.  Some things are priceless.  Few have the foresight to understand this.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: mrp on March 22, 2015, 01:31:32 am
And I'm still waiting on DGB to be a Hog based on his guarantee.

Dawson was quoting Portis. It was Portis words not Dawson.

Clearly Portis has every right to change his mind.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 22, 2015, 09:41:15 am
Dawson was quoting Portis. It was Portis words not Dawson.

Clearly Portis has every right to change his mind.

Dawson conveniently left out the word "if" before the rest of the quote. I'm not sure why he did it. You can watch the interview and see it for yourself.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Laughing Hog

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 22, 2015, 09:45:34 am
Dawson conveniently left out the word "if" before the rest of the quote. I'm not sure why he did it. You can watch the interview and see it for yourself.

I have noticed that more than once, our media has pulled that little trick recently.

I asked / challenged one of the writers on another media outlet on a 'quote' he wrote vs. what was on the interview and got ..................... silence.

Maybe he works nights at an car insurance company.

Omission, commission, and ............ are just another form of 'editing' and it really pisses me off when they do it, especially when it involves my razorpiggies........
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

hobhog

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 22, 2015, 11:30:21 am
So, I guess Dudley was JMSU?

That's what I think. Purposeful misinformation to excite the fan base.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

jry04

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 22, 2015, 09:45:34 am
Actually, the quote Dawson tweeted was never in the post game interviews. Not even with the word "if".

Dawson NEVER said it was in the post game interviews. He said Bobby said it after the game, never said it was during an interview. For all we know, Bobby was walking through the tunnel after the game and said it to some of the local media...or he could be making it up. 

aar0n

I just dont understand why he would CHOOSE to talk like he was coming back next year unless he ultimately meant it.  He could've said a million different things in that situation that didn't have to do with coming back, but he chose to say it the way he did for a reason.  He's not the type to lead on the fans, teammates, and coaches and the emotional charge of the situation isn't going to change that.  If anything the emotion would've led him to say he was leaving in a sense, not the other way around. 

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: jry04 on March 22, 2015, 11:39:43 am
Actually, the quote Dawson tweeted was never in the post game interviews. Not even with the word "if".

Dawson NEVER said it was in the post game interviews. He said Bobby said it after the game, never said it was during an interview. For all we know, Bobby was walking through the tunnel after the game and said it to some of the local media.

Uh, yeah it was.

Bobby "can't wait to get back next year, get better, and help Arkansas get deeper into the tournament."

Bobby said that, except for the part where it says "can't wait to get"

He said if he comes back, he wants to get better and take Arkansas deeper into the tournament. Why would Bobby say one thing to a reporter in private and then not in public when he's asked in front of the cameras? He's not an idiot. He knows everything he says will be quoted.

jry04

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 22, 2015, 11:45:13 am
Uh, yeah it was.

Bobby "can't wait to get back next year, get better, and help Arkansas get deeper into the tournament."

Bobby said that, except for the part where it says "can't wait to get"

He said if he comes back, he wants to get better and take Arkansas deeper into the tournament. Why would Bobby say one thing to a reporter in private and then not in public when he's asked in front of the cameras? He's not an idiot. He knows everything he says will be quoted.
I just watched it again...

The ONLY time he said "if I come back" was this: "If I come back next year, we could be a top 10 team."

McKdaddy

I have a bet w/ a friend for a bottle of Caymus Special Select. I'd love for BP to come back and lose this bet.

cosmodrum

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 22, 2015, 11:34:11 am
That's what I think. Purposeful misinformation to excite the fan base.

I doubt it was purposeful, probably just simple incompetence.
Go away, batin'