Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas/Ole Miss history

Started by Andre 3000, January 11, 2013, 03:49:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Andre 3000

Just something to give the fans to spark hate vs Ole Piss, who do you think has a better alltime history in football? Arkansas or Ole Miss?

huggerfrommanila

hogs. not even close. ole miss more or less punted the 30 years in between mannings.

good historic games between the teams with the old cotton bowls and the 7 ot game. glad hogs play in oxford every other year, short drive for me and always a good time.
"Welcome Razorback fans to another exciting day of SEC football, featuring Houston Nutt's Arkansas Razorbacks!"
If I had the wings of a sparrow, If I had the arse of a crow,I'd fly over Darrell K. Royal Stadium tomorrow, And **** on the bastards below.
Golf is like an 18-year-old girl with big boobs.  You know it's wrong but you can't keep away from her.  ~Val Doonican
Adding wrinkles:  good idea for football coaches, bad idea for the ladies.  ~my buddy Rick
James: What an absolutely beautiful day. Warm Sun, beautiful women...
Carl: And the air... is just right... for drinking.  ~Men at Work, 1990
Hank, dinner's almost ready.  I'm stirring in the cheese powder. ~Mrs. Peggy Hill

sowmonella

Ole Miss 628-492-35  55.9% :puke:
Hogs      682-464-40   59.2% :razorback:

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

oldfart

ole miss had a great program under johnny vaught, were ranked high for many years..  woulld be close to arkansas.  i wasnt around (at least around here) for the ole miss-arkansas rivalry games

Andre 3000

Quote from: sowmonella on January 11, 2013, 05:26:02 pm
Ole Miss 628-492-35  55.9% :puke:
Hogs      682-464-40   59.2% :razorback:

Haha true true. but here's another stat:
Ole Miss 22-12 bowl record, 63% winning percentage
Arkansas 13-23-3 bowl record 37% winning percentage

Andre 3000

Quote from: huggerfrommanila on January 11, 2013, 04:43:43 pm
hogs. not even close. ole miss more or less punted the 30 years in between mannings.

good historic games between the teams with the old cotton bowls and the 7 ot game. glad hogs play in oxford every other year, short drive for me and always a good time.

true that, but what if somebody brings up the 2-3 national titles that ole miss has, along with the nfl stars they produce?

3BoarsDown

What if someone brings up how many time Ole Mess has been to Atlanta?

I mean even MSU has an Atlanta trip under their belt.

The Boar War

Quote from: Andre 3000 on January 11, 2013, 05:41:01 pm
true that, but what if somebody brings up the 2-3 national titles that ole miss has, along with the nfl stars they produce?

Well then I guess you'd just have to go on head to head results.

Total Games Played

Win-Loss-Tie

32-27-1

Win Percentage

Conf Games Played

Win-Loss-Tie

13-9-0
Win Percentage

But I'm guessing there's a point to all this so why don't you go ahead with it?

HogWall Jackson

hogwild2882

So Andre3000 is your only purpose on these boards to go around touting that school in Jonesboro and trying to bring down the Razorbacks?  If so, why even peruse this site?

Also Arkansas and Ole Miss each have 21 players in the NFL right now

stchane

Ole Miss hasn't won a conference title since 1962, and hasn't won a division title ever.
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

The Hawg Marshal

Root66

January 11, 2013, 06:32:36 pm #12 Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:49:48 pm by Root66
Arkansas has 8 members in the College football Hall of Fame including Frank Broyles

Mississippi has 7 members, six players and Johnny Vaught.

Arkansas has two members in the Pro Football Hall of Fame

So does Ole Miss.

HAWGTILLTHEDIRT

Quote from: Andre 3000 on January 11, 2013, 05:37:57 pm
ha ha ha heres one more  stat  for you most ncaa titles all sports #1ucla #2stanford #3usc #4oklahoma state #5 arkansas
HAWG TILL THE DIRT!!!!

The Hawg Marshal

Is JFB not in the Hall? That surprises me.

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: Root66 on January 11, 2013, 06:32:36 pm
Arkansas has 7 members in the College football Hall of Fame...all players

So does Ole Miss.

Root, most people don't remember how good this Vaught Team's were in the 50s and 60s. They were tough.

Root66

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on January 11, 2013, 06:44:27 pm
Is JFB not in the Hall? That surprises me.

Yeah he is...they had him listed under Missouri, Arkansas rather than Arkansas, Missouri. Idiots.

The Boar War

Quote from: Root66 on January 11, 2013, 06:48:45 pm
Yeah he is...they had him listed under Missouri, Arkansas rather than Arkansas, Missouri. Idiots.

You've got to be kidding.

Andre 3000

Quote from: hogwild2882 on January 11, 2013, 06:00:20 pm
So Andre3000 is your only purpose on these boards to go around touting that school in Jonesboro and trying to bring down the Razorbacks?  If so, why even peruse this site?

Also Arkansas and Ole Miss each have 21 players in the NFL right now

No it's not. I just love to hear the people's voice on different topics. Im not even a red wolf fan. I just love sports arguments.

Doug

You know, you could have looked this up yourself. :)

http://gridironhistory.com/profile/Arkansas.html
http://gridironhistory.com/profile/Ole%20Miss.html
http://gridironhistory.com/versus/Arkansas/Ole%20Miss.html
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Shoat61

In the '40's and '50's, particularly the '50's, Ole Miss was a power nationally and particularly in the South.  Their two main rivals were LSU and Arkansas, both of which they basically dominated.  But, it was also very often a game of upsets.  Arkansas absolutely "hated" Ole Miss.  The number one cheer was "Go to Hell, Ole Miss, Go to Hell".  It could be yelled at any time, not just at the game.  That is one reason the 1954 Powder River Play game had so much significance in Arkansas.
It is also true that Broyles cancelled the Ole Miss series (which was played the week after Texas) because he realized that Arkansas would never concentrate on Texas and the SWC Championship as long as beating Ole Miss "made" a successful season no matter how many other games the Hogs won.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Root66 on January 11, 2013, 06:32:36 pm
Arkansas has 8 members in the College football Hall of Fame including Frank Broyles

So does Ole Miss.
Wasn't one of our HOFers from Mississippi?

Root66

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 12, 2013, 12:47:00 pm
Wasn't one of our HOFers from Mississippi?

Yes, Alworth. And one of their HOFers was from Arkansas.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Shoat61 on January 12, 2013, 12:13:24 pm
In the '40's and '50's, particularly the '50's, Ole Miss was a power nationally and particularly in the South.  Their two main rivals were LSU and Arkansas, both of which they basically dominated.  But, it was also very often a game of upsets.  Arkansas absolutely "hated" Ole Miss.  The number one cheer was "Go to Hell, Ole Miss, Go to Hell".  It could be yelled at any time, not just at the game.  That is one reason the 1954 Powder River Play game had so much significance in Arkansas.
It is also true that Broyles cancelled the Ole Miss series (which was played the week after Texas) because he realized that Arkansas would never concentrate on Texas and the SWC Championship as long as beating Ole Miss "made" a successful season no matter how many other games the Hogs won.

This is how my Grandparents felt;they hated Ole Miss more than TX.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Andre 3000

Quote from: wmemphisspider on January 11, 2013, 06:43:23 pm
ha ha ha heres one more  stat  for you most ncaa titles all sports #1ucla #2stanford #3usc #4oklahoma state #5 arkansas

Bro im talking about football, not all sports. Plus you had the top 4 right, but lsu and texas are tied for #5, but thats not the point.

go hogues

I hate OM way more than TX. (I'm 30)

Somehow, we're 2-3 against them the last five years...
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Arkansas Fan

I'm pretty sure that's not updated. I think we're up to 14 or 15 wins.

redeye

ESPN's prestige rankings are meant to answer this very question:

19. Arkansas
20. Texas A&M
21. Auburn
T22. Clemson
T22. Colorado
24. Ole Miss

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3846173

Ray Piggers

Quote from: Andre 3000 on January 11, 2013, 05:41:01 pm

Hogs can claim 4. ;)

I'm basically Darkwing Duck

Andre 3000

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on January 12, 2013, 10:26:48 pm
I'm pretty sure that's not updated. I think we're up to 14 or 15 wins.

T
01-01-1934
Centenary (LA)
Dixie Classic

T
01-01-1947
Louisiana St.
Cotton Bowl

W
01-01-1948
William & Mary (VA)
Dixie Bowl

L
01-01-1955
Georgia Tech
Cotton Bowl

W
01-02-1960
Georgia Tech
Gator Bowl

L
01-02-1961
Duke (NC)
Cotton Bowl

L
01-01-1962
Alabama
Sugar Bowl

L
01-01-1963
Mississippi
Sugar Bowl

W
01-01-1965
Nebraska
Cotton Bowl

L
01-01-1966
Louisiana St.
Cotton Bowl

W
01-01-1969
Georgia
Sugar Bowl

L
01-01-1970
Mississippi
Sugar Bowl

L
12-20-1971
Tennessee
Liberty Bowl

W
01-01-1976
Georgia
Cotton Bowl

W
01-02-1978
Oklahoma
Orange Bowl

T
12-25-1978
UCLA
Fiesta Bowl

L
01-01-1980
Alabama
Sugar Bowl

W
12-27-1980
Tulane (LA)
Hall of Fame Classic

L
12-28-1981
North Carolina
Gator Bowl

W
12-31-1982
Florida
Bluebonnet Bowl

L
12-27-1984
Auburn (AL)
Liberty Bowl

W
12-22-1985
Arizona St.
Holiday Bowl (1)

L
01-01-1987
Oklahoma
Orange Bowl

L
12-29-1987
Georgia
Liberty Bowl

L
01-02-1989
UCLA
Cotton Bowl

L
01-01-1990
Tennessee
Cotton Bowl

L
12-29-1991
Georgia
Independence Bowl

L
12-30-1995
North Carolina
Carquest Bowl

L
01-01-1999
Michigan
Florida Citrus Bowl

W
01-01-2000
Texas
Cotton Bowl

L
12-21-2000
Nevada-Las Vegas
Las Vegas Bowl

L
01-01-2002
Oklahoma
Cotton Bowl

L
12-30-2002
Minnesota
Music City Bowl

W
12-31-2003
Missouri
Independence Bowl

L
01-01-2007
Wisconsin
Capital One Bowl

L
01-01-2008
Missouri
Cotton Bowl

W
01-02-2010
East Carolina (NC)
Liberty Bowl

L
01-04-2011
Ohio St.
Sugar Bowl - Ohio St. Vacated Game

W
01-06-2012
Kansas S

oldfart

i grew up in the "Old" SEC in the 50s.  at that time and into the 60s under Vaught Ole Miss was one of the premier programs in the nation.  obviously has been a whipping boy in recent years but certainly was highly respected and feared in that era

Michael D Huff AIA

I've told my son that we will let him go to any college he wants to except Ole Miss, LSU, or Texas.  End of discussion.

NaturalStateReb

Arkansas and Ole Miss have a lot in common.  Before the league expanded to take in A&M, Arkansas played more games against Ole Miss than any other conference opponent, and the series is pretty close:  about 32-26-1 (there's a disputed 1914 game--Ole Miss won 14-7, but Arkansas claims Ole Miss used an ineligible player). 

Both have legendary, Hall of Fame coaches in Broyles and Vaught.  Both have claimed national titles.  Both have great traditions.

The big divergence in the programs happened in the 1970s.  Integration affected Ole Miss in ways that it didn't really affect Arkansas, and Arkansas handled its transition from Broyles to post-Broyles far better than Ole Miss handled its transition from Vaught to post-Vaught.  While Broyles kept his hand on the rudder as AD after leaving the HC's post, the Ole Miss program was basically hijaked and cratered by the Kinard brothers. 

When Tad Smith, who had been AD since 1946, retired in 1970 the university hired Frank Kinard to replace him.  Frank "Bruiser" Kinard was an Ole Miss football legend and NFL Hall of Famer.  Vaught retired after the 1970 season due to a heart attack, and Frank hired his younger brother Billy to replace Vaught.  Billy went 10-2 in 1971 but immediately began alienating Ole Miss alumni, going so far as a verbal showdown during an alumni dinner in Jackson where Billy Kinard informed those same alumni that he, and not they, were in charge at Ole Miss.

Alumni support took a nosedive, as did the Rebels' on-field success.  Ole Miss went a disappointing 5-5 in 1972, and after the team opened up 1-2 in 1973, including upset losses to Missouri and Memphis State, the Ole Miss fanbase had enough of the Kinards.  Alumni took out a full-page ad in the Jackson paper calling for Billy Kinard's resignation.  Ole Miss sacked both the Kinard brothers in September, 1973.  Vaught came back from retirement to coach the remainder of the season.  The kind of fan and alumni support Vaught had never really rematerialized in Oxford.

Ken Cooper and Steve Sloan both flamed out at Ole Miss in the 70s.  Billy Brewer had occasionally good teams through the 80s, then led Ole Miss to the worst NCAA sanctions in the early 90s since SMU's death penalty.  Ole Miss didn't really get its program on track again until Tommy Tuberville. 

During all of the Ole Miss turmoil, Arkansas continued to have success during the Holtz and Hatfield years.  Right now, you've got to say that Arkansas is ahead of Ole Miss.  The gap isn't as wide as some Hog fans would like to believe, but it definitely exists--the main place you can see it is in facilities.  Arkansas was able to move ahead because its program has been consistently managed better than Ole Miss' since 1970.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Fanofthegame

All this info in one place for one opponent in a nicely done thread. We as hogvillians had good discussion on this one. Lets do this for all our opponents, its cool to see it all in one place and compared directly with our team. Thanks guys good job.

oh and  ::hornsdown::
"He may not be in a class by himself, but it don't take long to call roll"

Root66

Quote from: oldfart on January 14, 2013, 05:17:43 am
i grew up in the "Old" SEC in the 50s.  at that time and into the 60s under Vaught Ole Miss was one of the premier programs in the nation.  obviously has been a whipping boy in recent years but certainly was highly respected and feared in that era

And were "screwed" out of a N.C. by the polls in, I believe, 1960 by Minnesota, a team that finished the season and bowl with two losses. Because of that stupid pre-bowl final poll.

Of course that is also the year that Alan Greene kicked his FG with a couple of seconds left only to have the refs decide it didn't count because someone had called time-out. So he got another chance and missed the second attempt by a couple of feet to a couple of yards...but Tommy Bell, the referee, called it good. We lost 10-7.

DeltaBoy

The First print I saw of a little Razorback boy peeing on a State it was the state of Mississippi.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

huggerfrommanila

i think its bad idea to play ole miss at wms. they had a ton of fans there last fall because its such a short drive from north miss. i talked to a big group of them at the flying saucer the night before the game and they were so happy the game was in little rock.
"Welcome Razorback fans to another exciting day of SEC football, featuring Houston Nutt's Arkansas Razorbacks!"
If I had the wings of a sparrow, If I had the arse of a crow,I'd fly over Darrell K. Royal Stadium tomorrow, And **** on the bastards below.
Golf is like an 18-year-old girl with big boobs.  You know it's wrong but you can't keep away from her.  ~Val Doonican
Adding wrinkles:  good idea for football coaches, bad idea for the ladies.  ~my buddy Rick
Hank, dinner's almost ready.  I'm stirring in the cheese powder. ~Mrs. Peggy Hill

Blue35

The 1960 game in LR was a wild event.

Dogtown Donkey

Basically, what I get from this is that the Razorback hatred linage goes Ole Miss --> Texas --> LSU.

I'm only 30, so I only feel it for LSU.

redeye

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 14, 2013, 08:55:56 am
Arkansas and Ole Miss have a lot in common.  Before the league expanded to take in A&M, Arkansas played more games against Ole Miss than any other conference opponent, and the series is pretty close:  about 32-26-1 (there's a disputed 1914 game--Ole Miss won 14-7, but Arkansas claims Ole Miss used an ineligible player). 

Both have legendary, Hall of Fame coaches in Broyles and Vaught.  Both have claimed national titles.  Both have great traditions.

The big divergence in the programs happened in the 1970s.  Integration affected Ole Miss in ways that it didn't really affect Arkansas, and Arkansas handled its transition from Broyles to post-Broyles far better than Ole Miss handled its transition from Vaught to post-Vaught.  While Broyles kept his hand on the rudder as AD after leaving the HC's post, the Ole Miss program was basically hijaked and cratered by the Kinard brothers. 

When Tad Smith, who had been AD since 1946, retired in 1970 the university hired Frank Kinard to replace him.  Frank "Bruiser" Kinard was an Ole Miss football legend and NFL Hall of Famer.  Vaught retired after the 1970 season due to a heart attack, and Frank hired his younger brother Billy to replace Vaught.  Billy went 10-2 in 1971 but immediately began alienating Ole Miss alumni, going so far as a verbal showdown during an alumni dinner in Jackson where Billy Kinard informed those same alumni that he, and not they, were in charge at Ole Miss.

Alumni support took a nosedive, as did the Rebels' on-field success.  Ole Miss went a disappointing 5-5 in 1972, and after the team opened up 1-2 in 1973, including upset losses to Missouri and Memphis State, the Ole Miss fanbase had enough of the Kinards.  Alumni took out a full-page ad in the Jackson paper calling for Billy Kinard's resignation.  Ole Miss sacked both the Kinard brothers in September, 1973.  Vaught came back from retirement to coach the remainder of the season.  The kind of fan and alumni support Vaught had never really rematerialized in Oxford.

Ken Cooper and Steve Sloan both flamed out at Ole Miss in the 70s.  Billy Brewer had occasionally good teams through the 80s, then led Ole Miss to the worst NCAA sanctions in the early 90s since SMU's death penalty.  Ole Miss didn't really get its program on track again until Tommy Tuberville. 

During all of the Ole Miss turmoil, Arkansas continued to have success during the Holtz and Hatfield years.  Right now, you've got to say that Arkansas is ahead of Ole Miss.  The gap isn't as wide as some Hog fans would like to believe, but it definitely exists--the main place you can see it is in facilities.  Arkansas was able to move ahead because its program has been consistently managed better than Ole Miss' since 1970.

Nice write-up!

The thing I find sad with Ole Miss fans is that they seem willing to accept what's happened to them, unless they're part of the problem in the first place. It seems like integration should have helped them, so I have to guess they caused that problem, right?

Nowadays, they sit in a talent-rich state and receive big money from SEC TV contracts. Yet, all their neighbors plunder the state for talent (I don't need to hear how they share it with MSU) and their athletic budget is just pathetic.

Unlike Ole Miss fans, I don't think it has to be that way, but they seem to think there's nothing they can do about it. I just feel sorry for them, but you reap what you sow.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: redeye on January 14, 2013, 05:03:02 pm
Nice write-up!

The thing I find sad with Ole Miss fans is that they seem willing to accept what's happened to them, unless they're part of the problem in the first place. It seems like integration should have helped them, so I have to guess they caused that problem, right?

Nowadays, they sit in a talent-rich state and receive big money from SEC TV contracts. Yet, all their neighbors plunder the state for talent (I don't need to hear how they share it with MSU) and their athletic budget is just pathetic.

Unlike Ole Miss fans, I don't think it has to be that way, but they seem to think there's nothing they can do about it. I just feel sorry for them, but you reap what you sow.

Ole Miss definitely caused its own problems on integration.  First off, we had a failure of leadership.  At Alabama, Bear Bryant helped lead the school into integration because it would help Bama win.  Vaught, for all the positive things he did, didn't do that at Ole Miss.  Mississippi was also more militantly anti-integration than Arkansas ever was.  There's always been a segement of the fanbase who have looked at Ole Miss like it's some kind of weird Confederate/Old South museum, rather than a changing, dynamic state university.  I think that Ole Miss has finally put enough daylight between it and the 60s that that's less of a factor all of the time.

I think there's been a major air of complacency in the Ole Miss fanbase for a very long time, and you're right, it's been pretty sad to witness.  There was a contingent of fans who thought, hey, we were national powers not long ago, let's just go win the party on the Grove.  These are the same fans who saw Billy Brewer's occasional trips to the Liberty Bowl as some sort of Silver Age of Rebel Football.  Then one day they woke up and 1962 was 50 years ago.

Fortunately, things have changed a lot recently.  Between State's resurgence and the 16-game conference losing streak, a lot of Rebel fans have had the rose-colored glasses pretty forcefully slapped off their faces.  Fan discontent got so strong that they forced both Nutt and AD Pete Boone out of their jobs.  That's one thing Nutt seems to be able to do--energize fan bases, although not necessarily in a positive way.  Freeze isn't a "let's just kick back and hope we can we win somtimes" guy, and the fanbase is finally hungry for a winner.

I can't tell you how many frustrating experiences I've had at Vaught-Hemingway.  I often sat in the stands and wondered, "Why the hell do we put with this?  No one else in the SEC would." 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

huggerfrommanila

the problem for ole miss and msu is each other (and southern miss). too many schools for poor low population state trying to play big time cfb. also location of the schools. people on the coast are lsu fans because it's closer than oxford or starkville. people in east ms are alabama fans for the same reason. hog fans are lucky we dont have to worry about that. need to keep playing in lr to make sure it doesnt become a problem going forward.

Root66

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 14, 2013, 08:55:56 am

During all of the Ole Miss turmoil, Arkansas continued to have success during the Holtz and Hatfield years (Until he pulled his disappearing act).  Right now, you've got to say that Arkansas is ahead of Ole Miss.  The gap isn't as wide as some Hog fans would like to believe, but it definitely exists--the main place you can see it is in facilities.  Arkansas was able to move ahead because its program has been consistently managed better than Ole Miss' since 1970.

You mean to tell me that Billy Kinard pulled a Kenny Hatfield? With the GOBN? Unbelievable...I didn't know that stuff happens anywhere except Arkansas! By the way, terrific post NSR.

SgtPepper

Quote from: Blue35 on January 14, 2013, 04:26:49 pm
The 1960 game in LR was a wild event.
Could you elaborate?

I believe that must be the game that I've heard my Father talk about before.  The game supposedly came down to a field goal at the end of the game.  Some people thought it was good and others didn't think it was.  Then immediately following the game there was a big fight.  At least that's the story my Dad told.

My Father always said that's the reason Ole Miss and Arkansas quit playing.
The stAte's University

jry04

What were the bowls? If we played in bowls vs 6-6 C-USA teams every time we made abowl than we would have a good record in bowl games, too. They haven't played in too many quality bowl games.

oldhawg

Quote from: SgtPepper on January 15, 2013, 01:13:14 pm
Could you elaborate?

I believe that must be the game that I've heard my Father talk about before.  The game supposedly came down to a field goal at the end of the game.  Some people thought it was good and others didn't think it was.  Then immediately following the game there was a big fight.  At least that's the story my Dad told.

My Father always said that's the reason Ole Miss and Arkansas quit playing.

"The 1960 contest between the teams was won by Ole Miss 10–7 at War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock, Arkansas, on their way to a final record of 10–0–1 for the 1960 season and the second of their three claimed national championships. Sometimes called the Tommy Bell game by Arkansas fans, he called a timeout in an attempt to quiet Razorback fans.[11] Rebel Allen Green did not hear the whistle and kicked the ball through the uprights. After the timeout, fans swear Bell signaled that the kick was good as soon as Green connected with the ball. Fans also swear that the kick was no good. Fighting broke out all around the stadium and because of this, the annual series between the two schools was played the next year in Jackson and then was canceled until the two teams renewed the series in 1981."

I am sure that I must have been among the 200,000 or so fans who claim to have been sitting in the South End Zone that night.  :)

SgtPepper

Quote from: oldhawg on January 15, 2013, 01:37:12 pm

"The 1960 contest between the teams was won by Ole Miss 10–7 at War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock, Arkansas, on their way to a final record of 10–0–1 for the 1960 season and the second of their three claimed national championships. Sometimes called the Tommy Bell game by Arkansas fans, he called a timeout in an attempt to quiet Razorback fans.[11] Rebel Allen Green did not hear the whistle and kicked the ball through the uprights. After the timeout, fans swear Bell signaled that the kick was good as soon as Green connected with the ball. Fans also swear that the kick was no good. Fighting broke out all around the stadium and because of this, the annual series between the two schools was played the next year in Jackson and then was canceled until the two teams renewed the series in 1981."

I am sure that I must have been among the 200,000 or so fans who claim to have been sitting in the South End Zone that night.  :)
Thanks for your answer!  I've always kinda wondered about that.
The stAte's University

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on January 15, 2013, 01:15:32 pm
What were the bowls? If we played in bowls vs 6-6 C-USA teams every time we made abowl than we would have a good record in bowl games, too. They haven't played in too many quality bowl games.

The bowl histories are fairly comparable, but the teams also played in different leagues with different tie-ins for a long time.

Arkansas Bowl Appearances
Cotton 11
Sugar 6
Liberty 3
Gator 2
Dixie 2
Independence 2
Orange 1
Fiesta 1
Hall of Fame 1
Bluebonnet 1
Carquest 1
Citrus 1
Las Vegas 1
Capital One 1
Music City 1

Ole Miss Bowl Appearances
Sugar 8
Cotton 5
Independence 5
Gator 3
Liberty 3
Bluebonnet 2
Orange 1
Delta 1
Sun 1
Peach 1
Motor City 1
Music City 1
Compass 1