Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BREAKING: Hogs add Gabe Osabuohien to '17 class ...

Started by Kevin McPherson, May 24, 2017, 04:33:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

NWAHog479

tophawg19

i would have preferred  another big man because i feel Gafford needs time to fill out a bit and get SEC strong . hopefully he is a good multi purpose player with an outside shot. he has over a 7 foot wingspan so maybe he can play bigger than 6'7/6'8 . either that or maybe we can stretch 2 or 3 inches out of him.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

FineAsSwine

tophawg19

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 24, 2017, 05:52:11 pm
I think he is a big man. I see him playing primarily at the 4. Not sure who Gafford's backup will be after next year, if Perry will slide to play the 5 when DG is out or if Gabe has the ability to do so. But he's able to go up for rebounds and finish cutbacks very well, as well as decently drive to the basket from the wing. He's got a nice frame.
over a 7 foot wingspan so he can play big . but not sure he can be a 5 and that is the area we need help in

Hawg Red

Not a bad get. Obviously he was not a priorty recruit as he got a very late offer, but there are definitely positives.

- 6'7, long combo forward
- staff has evaluated him for months and months
- gets Hogs' foot in the door with SWCA
- the kid has a high ceiling

This is one of the higher upside late signings under Anderson. He's not there yet, but there's just something when watching him that leaves me feeling like he could explode as a player. Not saying he will but I can see that potential.

chiti66

I would have preferred a true big, but I really like this kid!  Definite 4, with good size and frame.  CMA is getting it done!

ShadowHawg

Some of the best teams our there don't have a 5 playing big minutes.

This is a very good late period signing. This system was built with guys like him in mind. The bigs are on the way and we will be stocked with versatile, long, athletic guys when they get here.

Future looking bright.

hdturner

He ranked like no 313 player  on 247 recruiting. He will take few years to develop.  Most top 50 players are ready from day one. I wish we could get more top 100 players. He's rank about same spot as Hazen. 

hawkhawg

Quote from: hdturner on May 24, 2017, 06:28:38 pm
He ranked like no 313 player  on 247 recruiting. He will take few years to develop.  Most top 50 players are ready from day one. I wish we could get more top 100 players. He's rank about same spot as Hazen. 

The recruiting services are not for kids like Gabe.  He is from Toronto, Canada and has moved around.  He has always played on Elite teams so he does not get the inflated stats.   I can promise you there are not 312 kids better then him. 

hawkhawg

Quote from: Hogfan991 on May 24, 2017, 04:40:06 pm
What's his play style like?

He is a lot like Pippen.  Im not saying he is anywhere near as good as Pippen but that is who he reminds me of.  He is about Pippen's size 6-8, 220, Great Defender and ball handler for his size.  He can go down low or bring the ball down the court. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 24, 2017, 06:01:22 pm
Yea I agree. But gotta think coaches are okay with this move. I think he has a higher ceiling than Hazen. They also must have felt better about him playing than Armus, who would have filled that 5 spot role. He's also been described as a program fit, so that's a plus. I'm excited to see his progression and hope he can become a great player!

Armus was not an option. Signed with East Tennessee State while we did not have an open scholarship.

BossHog12

I'm actually pretty excited about this pickup.i like this kid's potential as a game changer with his length and athleticism. Whenever you pick up a plus athlete that knows how to be on a good team and wants to be a Hog, you have to feel happy as coach. I think this is a safe choice and a very smart one. Feel good about him being a solid SEC player late in year two and year three.

The_Iceman

Would have rather had a big man, or a grad transfer. But he is a talented forward.

The_Iceman

Hollywood_HOGan45

I like it. Not bad.

Probably won't play big minutes next year but we lose a lot of low post players next year. He will play a major role in the future.

JIHawg

How is his shooting touch/accuracy on 5 to 15 footers?

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 24, 2017, 08:15:51 pm
I like it. Not bad.

Probably won't play big minutes next year but we lose a lot of low post players next year. He will play a major role in the future.
i mean, we got him for Hazen. Seems fine.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

HOGINTENNESSEE

Hogimus Prime

A big would've been nice but IMO MA and staff will sign one next class.  This kid has some good upside.

ArkansasI

Happy that this young man is accepting the challenge. Otherwise, not surprised he chose the Hogs from his list of offers.

BentonvilleJeff

We can always use athletic wings with size. Glad he's a Hog!

gogamer

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 24, 2017, 05:59:30 pm
Not a bad get. Obviously he was not a priorty recruit as he got a very late offer, but there are definitely positives.

- 6'7, long combo forward
- staff has evaluated him for months and months
- gets Hogs' foot in the door with SWCA
- the kid has a high ceiling

This is one of the higher upside late signings under Anderson. He's not there yet, but there's just something when watching him that leaves me feeling like he could explode as a player. Not saying he will but I can see that potential.

Agree. I've only seen him in person once and it was at the Real Deal. It was an all star practice/scrimmage and he was the most dominant imposing presence on the court. Both Garland and Hall were on the team too. Not saying he's better than those two but in that tiny sample-size moment I was most impressed with GO.  I LOVE this get. Way to go MA.

Arkamedes

Coach Charles Baker appears to be pretty high on Gabe and Coach Baker has seen a lot of talented players pass through his programs. Welcome to the family, Mr. Osabuohien! Woo Pig!
"The time is always right to do what is right." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Rise above oneself and grasp the world." ~ Archimedes

FineAsSwine

Gonna need a pronunciation guide for that last name and a nickname name to forestall the Hogville spelling butchery.

RazorPiggie

Maybe we can actually get one of these late signees to make an impact on our team.  I cant remember the last one that did. Maybe Coty Clarke back in 2012?

Letsroll1200

Seem that Arkansas coaches are taking a chance on Osa. If he is able to develop as a Razorback they are getting a steal in the late period.

The_Iceman

Even if he doesnt contribute until 2019, that is a win for us.

NWAHog479

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 25, 2017, 07:56:02 am
Gonna need a pronunciation guide for that last name and a nickname name to forestall the Hogville spelling butchery.

Yeah I have no idea on where to start with his name... Watched some film on him and I think he'll be fun to watch progress. Definitely a 4 year guy which is always nice to have and he's athletic enough to play inside and on the wing.

Hawg Red

hawginbigd1

Boom Upgraded! MA keep it up and 2014-2015 will be a distant memory ;D

NinoHogUNIA

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 25, 2017, 07:56:02 am

If you can say Kristaps Porzingis or
roethlisberger you dont need one for this young fella
BIE

hogwood

I like the addition. TBD is if he will become the next Hazen/Jenkins and ride the line and transfer or will we get a kid who is committed to getting developed. I'm glad we'll have 12 to play next year though.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hogwood on May 26, 2017, 12:05:17 pm
I like the addition. TBD is if he will become the next Hazen/Jenkins and ride the line and transfer or will we get a kid who is committed to getting developed. I'm glad we'll have 12 to play next year though.

We have had around 4 kids leave after their Freshman year under Mike. I don't know how good these guys will be with their new schools after sitting a year but why don't we red shirt them and develop them instead of playing them 30 minutese of mop up minutes and letting their new home develop them.

I am curious if we had red shirted all of those who transferred after their freshman year what would happened?  I think most kids when have an option of setting out another year with a new school and only having 3 to play or staying here and have 4 years with us would have stayed here.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 26, 2017, 03:21:54 pm
We have had around 4 kids leave after their Freshman year under Mike. I don't know how good these guys will be with their new schools after sitting a year but why don't we red shirt them and develop them instead of playing them 30 minutese of mop up minutes and letting their new home develop them.

I am curious if we had red shirted all of those who transferred after their freshman year what would happened?  I think most kids when have an option of setting out another year with a new school and only having 3 to play or staying here and have 4 years with us would have stayed here.

Most would be grad transfers. Which means you don't even get them for what would be their most productive season.

You redshirt guys do know that the player has to agree to be redshirted? Not sure that you get that part. Most basketball players that redshirt do so at their own request rather than a recommendation from their coach.

hawgfan4life

Too bad coaches in the profession can't figure out what posters on this site know.

HardingHog

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 26, 2017, 04:38:26 pm
Some really good programs best guys have been redshirted. It's what a program like Arkansas needs, so I don't know why Mike doesn't believe in it.

I'd probably disagree with this. Most recent big time guys for most big programs didn't redshirt:
Draymond Green and Valentine at Michigan State.
Derrick Walton at Michigan.
Kaminsky and Dekker at Wisconsin.
Frank Mason at Kansas
Josh Hart at Villanova
Buddy Hield at Oklahoma
Doug McDermott at Creighton
None of the best players at UK or Duke or UCLA  or UNC redshirt
Karnowski or Pangos at Gonzaga. Williams-Goss and Jonathan Williams and Kyle Wiltjer did by default of transferring there

There's obvious big names that are in your favor off the top of my head like Kelly Olynyk at Gonzaga, Ethan Happ at Wisconsin, Patton at Creighton, and Ron Baker (walked on) at Wichita State. However, I feel like most schools don't redshirt many guys nowadays that end up being the big time players in college basketball

The_Iceman

I think players need to consider redshirting more their first year if they know they won't play much. Get a bunch of classes out of the way and set yourself up to grad transfer after your redshirt sophomore year. Leaving you with 2 to play at the school of your choice without sitting out.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 27, 2017, 06:03:01 am
I think players need to consider redshirting more their first year if they know they won't play much. Get a bunch of classes out of the way and set yourself up to grad transfer after your redshirt sophomore year. Leaving you with 2 to play at the school of your choice without sitting out.

I agree but lots of bb players only think of going pro and making money so coaches need to convince freshman that red shirting is best for them.  Like I said before I am not sure redshirted freshmen players are so quick to sit another year which makes them lose a year of playing.

Most lower ranked 3 star players are role players and need development. So why not develop them and get that 5th year.  Unless Gabe is good enough  to take minutes away from Thomas or Cook he probable needs to set a year and gain weight and strength.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 27, 2017, 07:35:10 am
I agree but lots of bb players only think of going pro and making money so coaches need to convince freshman that red shirting is best for them.  Like I said before I am not sure redshirted freshmen players are so quick to sit another year which makes them lose a year of playing.

Most lower ranked 3 star players are role players and need development. So why not develop them and get that 5th year.  Unless Gabe is good enough  to take minutes away from Thomas or Cook he probable needs to set a year and gain weight and strength.

Let him play is what I say. So many more good players coming down the pike in the coming years. He has four years to make his mark. Should be enough. As the team continues to improve and become a more attractive destination to out of state recruits, we are going to need that scholarship to add some more highly rated talent.

So go ahead and dangle that carrot of possible playing time, no matter how slight. A possible reward makes one push just that much harder and fight through fatigue in practice just a little more and even if he doesn't get the minutes, he will be farther along the next year than he would have been if he knew he wasn't going to have any opportunity to see the floor.

elvis26

;D welcome to the razorback family gabe!!!!!! we are glad you chose the razorbacks!!!!!!!!!

tophawg19

i keep looking at him and thinking Derrick Hood pt 2 , anyone else think that is a good comparison ?