Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC QB Rankings

Started by hoggusamoungus, July 01, 2013, 12:05:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AirForceHog

I stopped reading when I saw this.

Connor Shaw's abilities as a runner give Georgia an edge at quarterback in the SEC.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

Ugly Uncle

Having watched Casey Dick, Nathan Dick, Mitch Mustain, Ryan Mallett, Tyler Wilson and now Brandon Allen up close in practice I think we are better off than most believe we are.

Brandon is just as accurate as Tyler was at this point in his career and is more emotionally mature than Ryan was.  I don't think he will be as dynamic as Mallett was as a QB and he may not have the "it" factor that Tyler had, but he could.

Of course this is practice and not in game stuff.  Tyler knew the offense so well, and our receivers were so well drilled that Tyler threw the ball before the receivers got open or made their cuts.  He threw them open a lot.  Mallett held the ball a little longer but had such a gun on him he could get the ball in there as soon as the receiver broke open.

Brandon throws the ball very well but I haven't seen the anticipation that Tyler had.  Tyler didn't really have it either at Brandon's age though.  However, all those that are underestimating Brandon need only see what he can do in practice and how pin point accurate he is.  He just doesn't miss an open receiver.  Again, doing that in practice and doing that under the lights is two different things.

One thing that Brandon has that neither Tyler or Mallett had is the ability to make things happen with his feet.  BA is raw and last years coaching did not help him AT ALL. 

You will see this year...if he can take his performance from practices to the field...that he is in the top half of the conference as a QB right now and will really surprise people at just how good he can be and is.
Retired Radio Host

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: sportster365 on July 02, 2013, 04:39:00 pm
It wasn't really a point, more like just a thought. Besides I don't find it to be moot by any standards of this conversation considering the writer of the blog (Low) himself was the guy who factored Mitchell into his "equation"

Also note what he considered when basing these rankings: "we’ve based our 2013 rankings on having a true game-changer (or game-changers) at the position as well as having experience and depth. Past performance is weighted heavily, but we also take into account what help is on the way and project the impact newcomers will have."

If you take into consideration the potential of the other QB's that follow the starter, and let's face it evaluating the potential of second, third, fourth teamers...unless they already have experience, is a dicey proposition based solely in opinion anyway, then I think that we are in great shape. Better shape I might add than having a Brandon Mitchell type of player waiting in the wings.

Now of course, beauty (or talent in this case) is in the eye of the beholder, but if we are talking future potential I think we are as good at QB as any team in the SEC at this point.

If we are talking about starters, yeah, I am not surprised at all by this evaluation because as I said above, all they can go by is what they saw last year from BA and that wasn't pretty, and PP didn't help matters any.

Do I think that we might have been in better shape knowing that we had Mitchell here just in case BA went down? Absolutely. But he isn't here so Chaney better get on the stick and get someone prepared to step in, just in case lightning strikes.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

I still wish Reed was here. In the spring game he put more zip on his passes than Derby, seemed to have better instincts as a scrambler, was more accurate in his passes, and has actually started several games at qb before. If Allen went down for a quarter or a half a game, I would feel comfortable putting Reed in his place. Granted, if BA was knocked out for multiple games, I feel we would have no choice but to put in Austin, but we would at let have a chance to redshirt him. As it stands, come fall I expect Derby to be fighting with Duwop for third string.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 03, 2013, 10:45:50 am
I still wish Reed was here. In the spring game he put more zip on his passes than Derby, seemed to have better instincts as a scrambler, was more accurate in his passes, and has actually started several games at qb before. If Allen went down for a quarter or a half a game, I would feel comfortable putting Reed in his place. Granted, if BA was knocked out for multiple games, I feel we would have no choice but to put in Austin, but we would at let have a chance to redshirt him. As it stands, come fall I expect Derby to be fighting with Duwop for third string.

I am guessing that if our staff thought that either Reed or Mitchell would have added much to our situation, they would have done everything they possibly could to retain one or both of them.

Apparently their first hand evaluation of these players is different than that of those whose evaluation is second hand on Hogville, so I guess I am going to trust the coaching staff.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 03, 2013, 11:27:11 am
I am guessing that if our staff thought that either Reed or Mitchell would have added much to our situation, they would have done everything they possibly could to retain one or both of them.

Apparently their first hand evaluation of these players is different than that of those whose evaluation is second hand on Hogville, so I guess I am going to trust the coaching staff.

No question. As an out of state fan, all I have to go on are 3 drives a piece on just one day between Derby and Reed, that and their backgrounds beforehand. Derby could have easily just had a poorer showing that day, which still resulted in a td pass, and perhaps Reed was just having a very good day, or was only able to look good against the third string players, showing few signs of potential against the starters. A key part is that whenever Bielema mentioned qb's in his spring interviews, Derby was mostly the only one mentioned outside of the two Brandon's.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

daBoar

Quote from: The Kig on July 01, 2013, 03:00:13 pm
LOL...Yes, he has the win percentage, but have seen very little that would merit that statement.

From time to time, we get to read something really sophomoric on the board.  McCarron was the 2012 NCAA D1 #1 leader in Passing Efficiency.  Sure, he played behind a great Oline, but the young man made great decisions. 

bennyl08

Quote from: daBoar on July 03, 2013, 06:30:08 pm
From time to time, we get to read something really sophomoric on the board.  McCarron was the 2012 NCAA D1 #1 leader in Passing Efficiency.  Sure, he played behind a great Oline, but the young man made great decisions.

Couple that with the fact that only he and Murray return as top SEC qb's who consistently throw the ball down the field. Mettenberger, Russell, and Franklin did as well, but none of them are in the discussion. Manziel and Shaw rarely ever throw the ball more than 5 yards past the line, rather expecting the receivers to get yac.

HogInFlorida

People think back to Greg McElroy and assume Mccarron is just a copy of him no matter what he does to prove them otherwise. Mccarron is 10 times the passer McElroy ever was.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

jbcarol

Quote from: HogInFlorida on July 03, 2013, 07:02:39 pm
People think back to Greg McElroy and assume Mccarron is just a copy of him no matter what he does to prove them otherwise. Mccarron is 10 times the passer McElroy ever was.

How does he compare to John Parker?
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

bennyl08

Quote from: jbcarol on July 03, 2013, 07:04:15 pm
How does he compare to John Parker?

7 times the quarterback JPW was.

HogInFlorida

Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HogInFlorida on July 03, 2013, 07:02:39 pm

That's a bit of a stretch. Here are the career numbers of both players at Alabama. Of course McCarron has another season to play.

Player             Games      ATT     Compl      %      Yards     YPC    TD    INT      TD P/Att   INT P/Att
McElroy              35         658       436      66.3     5762     13.2   39     10         1:16.9     1:65.8
McCarron           39         690       460       66.7    5956      12.9   49      8          1:14.1     1:86.3

It's obvious that from a technical standpoint McCarron appears to be the better passer of the two QB's (to this point) though their completion percentages are nearly identical, but McCarron 10 times better than McElroy was? Eh, not exactly.
Go Hogs Go!

daBoar

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 04, 2013, 05:42:03 am
That's a bit of a stretch. Here are the career numbers of both players at Alabama. Of course McCarron has another season to play.

Player             Games      ATT     Compl      %      Yards     YPC    TD    INT      TD P/Att   INT P/Att
McElroy              35         658       436      66.3     5762     13.2   39     10         1:16.9     1:65.8
McCarron           39         690       460       66.7    5956      12.9   49      8          1:14.1     1:86.3

It's obvious that from a technical standpoint McCarron appears to be the better passer of the two QB's (to this point) though their completion percentages are nearly identical, but McCarron 10 times better than McElroy was? Eh, not exactly.
Very comparable total numbers.......however McCarron had a far superior season last year versus his career stats, from the perspectives of TDs and INTs.

bennyl08

222-313, 2987 yards, 20:5 td:int, Greg's best season
211-314, 2933 yards, 30:3td:int, AJ's best season.

So, first, wow, Gregg threw the ball a lot more than I remember. The stats are nearly identical, though AJ had an extra game to play in. The one key difference is the TD's. McCarron has a lot more td's than McElroy.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 04, 2013, 11:25:25 am
222-313, 2987 yards, 20:5 td:int, Greg's best season
211-314, 2933 yards, 30:3td:int, AJ's best season.

So, first, wow, Gregg threw the ball a lot more than I remember. The stats are nearly identical, though AJ had an extra game to play in. The one key difference is the TD's. McCarron has a lot more td's than McElroy.

But what about the entire body of work compared bewtween the two when Alabama was moving towards a more run dominant offense?
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 04, 2013, 11:51:33 am
But what about the entire body of work compared bewtween the two when Alabama was moving towards a more run dominant offense?

McElroy's best year happened to be with their weakest defense, they had more need to pass, and fewer total plays at all. They have actually been progressing to a more pass heavy offense compared to earlier seasons. The entire body of work between them was already posted.

sportster365

I'm really surprised to see that both McElroy and McCarrons stats are quite similar. On the surface of things I've always pictured AJ to be 10x better than McElroy was too.

I honestly still think AJ's alot better than he's showcased. It's obvious from looking at those stats that both were playing within the system. For McElroy that could have been a good thing, but for AJ, not so much.

sportster365

I'm really surprised to see that both McElroy and McCarrons stats are quite similar. On the surface of things I've always pictured AJ to be 10x better than McElroy was too.

I honestly still think AJ's alot better than he's showcased. It's obvious from looking at those stats that both were playing within the system. For McElroy that could have been a good thing, but for AJ, not so much.