Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Go to college or head to the minors -- which would you choose?

Started by Rey Pygsterio, May 31, 2011, 10:12:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rey Pygsterio

"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

ucahogfan

DVH made the argument that players who go to college will make the MLB at the same age as they would have if they went directly out of high school without facing the burnout you would get if you didn't go to college.  He was primarily disappointed that Ray and Lakind signed way below what they wanted on the last day this past year.

bsking

I have actually talked to several scouts about this issue.  It really depnds on the mental makeup of the particular kid.

Playing college baseball teaches you discipline.  Not only do you have practice most days and games on the weekends but you also have 15 hours of classes and that many hours over of studying.  A lot of players are required to go to drills and study sessions as well.  Mix in the fact that they leave on Thursday every other week and still have to keep up with their work, it is a huge test of character and discipline.

On the other hand, jumping straight to the Minors will allow you to focus a lot more time on baseball.  You will be around better coaches, players, and managers.  You learn how to be a big leaguer right off the bat.  It also gives you a lot more free time and sometimes 18-21 year olds can find less productive ways of spending it.

If a player is a mature, driven individual they can absolutely succeed by going straight to the minors.  If a player is still a highschooler more than physically, college can really benifit their career.  Not to mention the many other great life experiences and education that you get by going to college.

clutch

I played a little college baseball before an injury ended it for me. I would definitely recommend at least a year of college baseball before making the jump.

You think you know a lot about baseball and the way to play the game coming out of high school, but I learned more about baseball in my year of college ball than I had in my whole life. The amount of work that had to be put in was like nothing I had ever seen before. You really had to love baseball to want to put up with it all. Fortunately I did love it so it was a blast while it lasted.

I can only imagine that the minors is even more work. It would be a culture shock for sure just jumping into it.

Not only that, but it really helps having some experience against quality players for both pitchers and position players. You find out quickly that just because you hit over .400 in high school doesn't mean you can hit. Facing guys who can actually pitch everyday and have more than just a mediocre fastball and a change up with a few bad breaking balls sprinkled in is a lot different.

If you are ready talent wise, I would still say go to a JuCo for at least a year. Professional ball is a grind both mentally and physically. The seasons are loooong. There are very few guys who are ready for that grind straight out of high school. A year of college can do wonders for players both physically and mentally. 

DeltaBoy

I always say College so you can learn to do something after Baseball.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

clutch

Quote from: DeltaBoy on June 02, 2011, 11:23:26 am
I always say College so you can learn to do something after Baseball.

This is another good reason, but a lot of the guys don't need 4 years. But like I said, you can learn actual baseball and if you really do love it as much as you think you do.

HiggiePiggy

Isn't baseball set up if you go to College you must play 3 years before eligible for the draft?
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

ucahogfan

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 09, 2011, 02:08:52 pm
Isn't baseball set up if you go to College you must play 3 years before eligible for the draft?
That is the norm for most college students.  People who attend JUCO can get drafted either year they are there.  Also, there are certain people who can be drafted after their sophomore year because they are old enough.  Zack Cox and Ryne Stanek are two examples of people being old enough to get drafted.

ucahogfan

Quote from: JeanClaudeVanHam on June 09, 2011, 02:47:55 pm
Depends on who drafted me and where. And if I had an offer from Arkansas. Offer from Arkansas, I go college. The only thing that makes me think twice would be being drafted by the Mets.
Same here, except the Braves would make me think twice.  Two teams I would never sign for would be the Cards and Yankees.

clutch

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 09, 2011, 02:08:52 pm

That is why JuCo baseball is LOADED with talent.

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 09, 2011, 04:22:16 pm
Same here, except the Braves would make me think twice.  Two teams I would never sign for would be the Cards and Yankees.

I'd sign with any team that was willing to pay me to play a sport for a living.

hawkhawg

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 09, 2011, 04:22:16 pm

What you don't like winning World Series?

ucahogfan

Quote from: hawkhawg on June 18, 2011, 12:29:53 pm
What you don't like winning World Series?
Of course I do, I just don't want to sell my soul to the Evil Empire to win one and I have never really like the Cardinals.

spe450

The only issue I would have is that even half scholarships in collage baseball are extremely rare.  If you are drafted within the first two rounds and are offered good money, it may be financially better to go pro.  If you truly want a degree, you can always come back with the money you made and take classes.  You have to remember that these college ball players are having to pay their way.  Hopefully that will change soon with the rise in popularity of college baseball.

ucahogfan

Quote from: spe450 on June 18, 2011, 03:44:13 pm
The only issue I would have is that even half scholarships in collage baseball are extremely rare.  If you are drafted within the first two rounds and are offered good money, it may be financially better to go pro.  If you truly want a degree, you can always come back with the money you made and take classes.  You have to remember that these college ball players are having to pay their way.  Hopefully that will change soon with the rise in popularity of college baseball.
It probably won't change because of Title IX.  Things that really help baseball teams are smart players who can almost get a full ride academically or things like the lottery scholarship.  The lottery scholarship for Arkansans allows DVH to offer less scholly money to instate kids and bring in better talent from out of state.  The lotto scholly also allows the chance for instate kids to play for the Hogs when they might not have been able too because they would have had better money elsewhere.  The lotto scholly was truly a win-win for the Diamond Hogs.

spe450

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 19, 2011, 01:10:24 pm
It probably won't change because of Title IX.  Things that really help baseball teams are smart players who can almost get a full ride academically or things like the lottery scholarship.  The lottery scholarship for Arkansans allows DVH to offer less scholly money to instate kids and bring in better talent from out of state.  The lotto scholly also allows the chance for instate kids to play for the Hogs when they might not have been able too because they would have had better money elsewhere.  The lotto scholly was truly a win-win for the Diamond Hogs.

LSU has benefited from the Louisiana TOPS scholarship program for several years now.

ucahogfan

Quote from: spe450 on June 20, 2011, 12:59:22 am
LSU has benefited from the Louisiana TOPS scholarship program for several years now.
I know Georgia has a program similar to our lotto scholly and that helps both major instate programs.

hoglady

I've known a few kids who went directly to the minor leagues from high school. Didn't work out either time. They were not disciplined enough and neither stuck it out.
Look how long Torii Hunter was in the minors and the only reason he tuffed it out was his Mom encouraging him. Good thing he did.
It can be a hard adjustment with little support. Kid has to be mature beyond their years.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality