Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noticed something.

Started by Hogindasticks, March 18, 2018, 10:43:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogindasticks

I was looking at the offers Arkansas had for 2018 and also the teams that picked up guys that we offered this year.  The guys that they are offering are being picked up by top schools....top talent...i am very impressed with thd quality they are pursuing.  178 offers already for 2019....gonna be a great year for the hogs recruiting next year. 

Flrazrback

Totally agree, Coaches are getting the attention of some really talented players. The kids are coming to visit our facilities and liking what they see, our staff is doing a great job.

blu

There needs to be some progress and at least modest success next season on the field. Gonna be vital in the task of convincing the better players to give the Hogs a shot.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Hawgboy64

I love that Chad Morris is our coach but, this is going to be a process.
It's going to take some time for him to get his system installed and players to fit it.
I hated the Bret Bielema hire but I gave him time hoping it would work out.
I hope they have the same patience with Chad.
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

Dwight_K_Shrute

March 19, 2018, 02:40:50 pm #4 Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:21:08 am by Dwight_K_Shrute
Quote from: blu on March 19, 2018, 06:01:56 am
There needs to be some progress and at least modest success next season on the field. Gonna be vital in the task of convincing the better players to give the Hogs a shot.

Yep if he could just scrape together a bowl win that would be it.  Pundits would point to that as positive momentum.  You do that plus show a little exciting offensive identity and defensive competency on the field and will definitely help.  May end up being a blessing in disguise that Michigan dropped us and we picked up CSU.  Makes getting 4 non-conf wins much more realistic.  Then you just need to win 2 in conference which may be tough but definitely doable. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

theFlyingHog

How many offers per class was the last regime putting out?

I never really thought about how many people a coaching staff has to maintain contact with.

Dark Helmet Hog

Great to see we are trying.

The pretty girl won't dance with you if you don't ask.

farmhawg

The difference is in the offers. Only a few of the kids Bert was recruiting was offered by the big boys. Not this staff, they are at least swinging for the fence.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

ricepig

Quote from: farmhawg on March 20, 2018, 07:31:05 pm
The difference is in the offers. Only a few of the kids Bert was recruiting was offered by the big boys. Not this staff, they are at least swinging for the fence.

Well, not exactly, just didn't sign too many of them.

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Season/2017-Football/Offers

WaltonCollege

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on March 20, 2018, 07:17:44 pm
Great to see we are trying.

The pretty girl won't dance with you if you don't ask.

Haha We need to start going to a lot of dances and start talking to a lot of pretty girls

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on March 20, 2018, 07:36:35 pm
Well, not exactly, just didn't sign too many of them.

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Season/2017-Football/Offers
you cant overcome the arkansas stigma AND the fatass coach stigma , too. Maybe one or the other... Not with the Big Dogs anyway.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hawg1221

Quote from: blu on March 19, 2018, 06:01:56 am

Bingo!  That's so important. It really is. We need to get all the breaks this season and come away with a decent record. We need to play well and have exciting highlights of Morris' high octane offense and we MUST show a vast improvement on defense.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hawg1221 on March 21, 2018, 10:21:48 am
Bingo!  That's so important. It really is. We need to get all the breaks this season and come away with a decent record. We need to play well and have exciting highlights of Morris' high octane offense and we MUST show a vast improvement on defense.
pretty easy to improve on the all time worst defense I'd guess. "Vastly improve" is a different matter.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Richard Davenport

Quote from: farmhawg on March 20, 2018, 07:31:05 pm

Totally false.

Petrino and Bielema went after the big boys. They both swung for the fence.

farmhawg

Quote from: Richard Davenport on March 22, 2018, 09:03:58 am
Totally false.

Petrino and Bielema went after the big boys. They both swung for the fence.
Not the point, the point is the players we got did not have big offers. I probably worded it wrong but posted a couple of years ago with our signees and how most of them had a low offer list.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

FrozenHam

We mustn't forget the excitement on these boards and around the state when Bielema signed Alex Collins to the very first class of his tenure at UofA.  We believed that we had found a better recruiter than we'd had, and we may have been right.  An analysis by 247 Sports makes a compelling case for Bielema as a national recruiter, if not within the conference:

Bielema has been Arkansas' best recruiter, by far, during the recruiting-rankings era.

His five classes have an average 247Sports Composite national ranking of 25.2, which is more than two spots better than Petrino (27.6) and more than six spots better than Nutt (31.4).

The 2013, 2015 and 2016 classes each checked in at No. 23, giving Bielema three top-25 classes.

Petrino and Nutt had only two top-25 classes apiece, but it is worth mentioning that Petrino's were the top two classes of the last 15 years at Arkansas. His 2009 and 2011 classes were both No. 21 in the country.

All of Bielema's classes have cracked the top 30, which wasn't always the case under the last two coaches. Petrino's third class – 2010 – was 41st nationally. Nutt's final class in 2007 was 38th, while his 2003 class was 42nd, the Razorbacks' worst of the last decade and a half.

...One of the complaints about Bielema has been in alleged inability to recruit high-profile players or develop the ones he signs.

However, the numbers say otherwise.

In five classes, Bielema has signed 25 four- or five-star recruits. That is two more than Petrino signed during his tenure and 14 more than Nutt signed over his final five years...

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Article/Five-years-in-Examining-Bret-Bielema-as-a-recruiter-51166403

Again, I am excited by Coach Morris' enthusiasm and pursuit of dynamic players.  We can remain hopeful without diminishing previous staffs' accomplishments.  Go Hogs!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: FrozenHam on March 22, 2018, 10:43:51 am
We mustn't forget the excitement on these boards and around the state when Bielema signed Alex Collins to the very first class of his tenure at UofA.  We believed that we had found a better recruiter than we'd had, and we may have been right.  An analysis by 247 Sports makes a compelling case for Bielema as a national recruiter, if not within the conference:

Bielema has been Arkansas' best recruiter, by far, during the recruiting-rankings era.

His five classes have an average 247Sports Composite national ranking of 25.2, which is more than two spots better than Petrino (27.6) and more than six spots better than Nutt (31.4).

The 2013, 2015 and 2016 classes each checked in at No. 23, giving Bielema three top-25 classes.

Petrino and Nutt had only two top-25 classes apiece, but it is worth mentioning that Petrino's were the top two classes of the last 15 years at Arkansas. His 2009 and 2011 classes were both No. 21 in the country.

All of Bielema's classes have cracked the top 30, which wasn't always the case under the last two coaches. Petrino's third class – 2010 – was 41st nationally. Nutt's final class in 2007 was 38th, while his 2003 class was 42nd, the Razorbacks' worst of the last decade and a half.

...One of the complaints about Bielema has been in alleged inability to recruit high-profile players or develop the ones he signs.

In five classes, Bielema has signed 25 four- or five-star recruits. That is two more than Petrino signed during his tenure and 14 more than Nutt signed over his final five years...

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Article/Five-years-in-Examining-Bret-Bielema-as-a-recruiter-51166403

Again, I am excited by Coach Morris' enthusiasm and pursuit of dynamic players.  We can remain hopeful without diminishing previous staffs' accomplishments.  Go Hogs!

Point is, got to know what to do with them once they get here.  Also means Bert left these guys some talent to work with.  I'm hoping for a Danny Ford type situation where the coach had to go but left talent to be successful right away.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: farmhawg on March 22, 2018, 10:35:44 am
Not the point, the point is the players we got did not have big offers. I probably worded it wrong but posted a couple of years ago with our signees and how most of them had a low offer list.
Still not true, does your hatred for CBB keep you from believing or knowing what is true and what is made up in your mind?

rtr

Quote from: FrozenHam on March 22, 2018, 10:43:51 am

This may say more about the recruiting services than it does about a coaches ability to recruit.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: farmhawg on March 22, 2018, 10:35:44 am

Again false.

I might have missed one or two here or there but you get the idea.

Nutt beat out elite programs for Ugoh in 2002, none in 2003, Michael Grant, Fred Beldsoe and Hillis in 2004, Felix Jones and Darren in 2005. Three out-of -state recruits with elite offers.

Petrino beat out elites for Joe Adams in 2008, Ronnie Wingo, Knile Davis, Darius Winston and David Gordon in 2009, none in 2010, Tevin Mitchel, Brey Cook, Mitch Smothers, Lonnie Gosha, Quinta Funderburke and Andrew Peterson in 2011 and none in 2012. Seven out-of-state recruits with elite offers.

Bielema beat out elites for Hunter Henry, Alex Collins, Denver Kirkland, Dan Skipper and Reeve Koehler in 2013, Frank Ragnow, Brian Wallace, Bijhon Jackson and Rafe Peavey in 2014, Jalen Merrick, Will Gragg, CJ O'Grady, Hjalte Froholdt, Zach Rogers, Ty Storey in 2015, Devwah Whaley, McTelvin Agim, Briston Guidry in 2016, Montaric Brown, Chevin Calloway, Kam Curl, Jeremy Patton, Brandon Martin, Chase Hayden, Jarques McClellion in 2017. That makes 18 out-of-state kids with elite offers in five years. The list above has five classes for Petrinio and four for Nutt.

I classify elite programs as Bama, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma, LSU and Texas.

I pointed out the out-of state prospects because at Arkansas you have to recruit 2/3 of your class from outside of the state.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Richard Davenport on March 26, 2018, 11:33:08 am
Again false.

Nutt beat out elite programs for Ugoh in 2002, none in 2003, Michael Grant, Fred Beldsoe and Hillis in 2004, Felix Jones and Darren in 2005. Three out-of -state recruits with elite offers.

Petrino beat out elites for Joe Adams in 2008, Ronnie Wingo, Knile Davis, Darius Winston and David Gordon in 2009, none in 2010, Tevin Mitchel, Brey Cook, Mitch Smothers, Lonnie Gosha, Quinta Funderburke and Andrew Peterson in 2011 and none in 2012. Seven out-of-state recruits with elite offers.

Bielema beat out elites for Hunter Henry, Alex Collins, Denver Kirkland, Dan Skipper and Reeve Koehler in 2013, Frank Ragnow, Brian Wallace, Bijhon Jackson and Rafe Peavey in 2014, Jalen Merrick, Will Gragg, CJ O'Grady, Hjalte Froholdt, Zach Rogers, Ty Storey in 2015, Devwah Whaley, McTelvin Agim, Briston Guidry in 2016, Montaric Brown, Chevin Calloway, Kam Curl, Jeremy Patton, Brandon Martin, Chase Hayden, Jarques McClellion in 2017. That makes 18 out-of-state kids with elite offers in five years. The list above has five classes for Petrinio and four for Nutt.

I classify elite programs as Bama, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma, LSU and Texas.

I pointed out the out-of state prospects because at Arkansas you have to recruit 2/3 of your class from outside of the state.

If I counted correctly, 16 of those we beat elite schools for are still on the roster, which is why I think Arkansas will be better than most think in 2018.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: WaltonCollege on March 20, 2018, 11:41:19 pm
Haha We need to start going to a lot of dances and start talking to a lot of pretty girls
Worse the pretty girl can do is say no. While it may not help the ego, in the event she does accept you're likely going to be in hog heaven. ;) 8)

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Richard Davenport on March 26, 2018, 11:33:08 am
Again false.

Thanks RD. you proved out succinctly what I have been saying in multiple threads for a few years. CBB failed as the head coach, but he didn't fail at every aspect. This roster is the most talented top to bottom that Arkansas has ever had in the modern era. It is uneven in a few spots mostly interior DL and OT, so it's not perfect and it's not GA., Bama, etc. The other part is they are seemingly almost all high character individuals. Morris is sitting on a gold mine, it's too bad CBB failed at the coaching and staffing part of his job, he could have become a legend. You know other than the legendary amounts of money he got per victory!

Cale

Admittedly I haven't been extremely stoked about the Morris hire. However, so far he seems very meticulous in everything he does, and being like that myself, I respect that. I'm excited to give him a chance. My biggest concern is the defensive side of the ball. I have no doubt our offense will be nasty in 1-3 years. Excited to see how it plays out.
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

Pig in the Pokey

not sure why you dont have any faith in the SEC's greatest modern times DC, but, He WILL get it done, too. Our defense will be sick af soon.