Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson Compared to Other SEC Coaches

Started by revolution, January 13, 2017, 09:56:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

revolution

January 13, 2017, 09:56:37 am Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 11:15:49 am by revolution
SEC Games Only - How does Mike Anderson compare with other SEC Coaches over the years?

John Calipari, KY                  99-25      .79
Rick Pitino, KY-GA              104-28      .78
Tubby Smith, KY                139-53      .72
Billy Donovan, Fla               202-109    .64
Nolan Richardson, ARK         173-98      .63
Billy Gillispie, KY                  20-12       .62
Mike White, Fla                  13-9         .59
Bruce Pearl, TN-Ala             75-61       .55
Rick Stansbury, Miss. St.      122-102    .54
Mike Anderson, ARK               49-43     .53            SEC only
Mike Anderson, ARK - MO       92-80     .53             SEC and Big 12
Johnny Jones, LSU                41-35      .53
Anthony Grant, Ala               56-50      .52
Andy Kennedy, Ole Miss         81-75      .51
Mark Fox, GA                       64-60      .51
Mark Gottfried, Ala                83-82      .50
Avery Johnson, Ala               10-10      .50
Kevin Stallings, Vandy          138-142    .49
Billy Kennedy, TAM                44-50      .46
Rob Evans, Ole Miss              43-53      .44
Ben Howland, Miss. St.          9-12        .42
John Pelphrey, ARK               25-39       .39
Stan Heath, ARK                  31-49       .38
Frank Martin, SC                  29-46       .38
Kim Anderson, Mizzou            6-33        .15

So what can be said about this?

1.  There have been a lot of mediocre coaches in the SEC.  And plenty who have struggled mightily.

2.  Only five coaches at three programs have won as much as 60% of their games in the SEC.  (KY-3, FLA-1, ARK-1)  I don't put Gillispie or Mike White (yet) in this category.

3.  Mike Anderson's record is most comparable to this bunch:
     Bruce Pearl      .55  (9 seasons)
     Rick Stansbury .54  (14 seasons)
     Mike Anderson  .53  (6 seasons SEC)
     Johnny Jones   .53  (5 seaons)
     Anthony Grant  .52  (6 seasons)
     Andy Kennedy  .51  (11 seasons)
     Mark Fox         .51  (7 seasons)
     Mark Gottfried  .50  (11 seasons)

revolution

Is Arkansas getting what it should be with our current coach or should we try to do better?  What makes you believe Anderson is going to begin winning a significantly higher percentage of his conference games? 

History suggests that winning 55% of your SEC games will not get you into the NCAA Tournament.  That's a damning statistic for Mike Anderson.

Biggus Piggus

Mike Anderson never coached an SEC game when he was at Missouri.
[CENSORED]!

revolution

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 13, 2017, 10:52:42 am
Mike Anderson never coached an SEC game when he was at Missouri.

That's a good catch!  Sorry I didn't think that through.  MA's conference winning percentage at Mizzou was 53.8%.  At Arkansas it's 53.3%.  Not a lot of difference.  Of course, the perception is that the Big 12 was a much tougher league, and I think that's accurate. 

So has Anderson performed worse at Arkansas or about the same as at Missouri?  Is he just about to do better in conference games than his historical record would predict? 

I did go back and make the corrections so the post is more accurate.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: revolution on January 13, 2017, 10:49:20 am
Is Arkansas getting what it should be with our current coach or should we try to do better?  What makes you believe Anderson is going to begin winning a significantly higher percentage of his conference games? 

History suggests that winning 55% of your SEC games will not get you into the NCAA Tournament.  That's a damning statistic for Mike Anderson.

His recruiting starting with last years class going out until 2019 duh.

I honestly think your analysis makes mike look good when you consider recruiting hasn't been there and some of the other .5 guys have recruited really well and haven't done much with it.

Also it dismisses some of the heath and pel vs mike arguments.

revolution

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 13, 2017, 11:25:16 am

I honestly think your analysis makes mike look good when you consider recruiting hasn't been there and some of the other .5 guys have recruited really well and haven't done much with it.

Good points, although MA is certainly responsible for his recruiting throughout his tenure at Arkansas. 

If this team responds well and gets into the NCAA, then the storyline looks like he built for year 4, didn't prepare for the losses that led to the dramatic downturn of year 5, but then righted the ship for year 6. 

If this team improves upon last year but falls short of the Tournament, then there still can be hope and belief that the future is going to be significantly better without any real historical evidence.  His future recruits give hope and belief validity for some.   

I do think the rest of this year will largely set the narrative.  The question is now front and center - can Anderson get Arkansas where the fans want to go?  While we might not all agree on exactly what the desired or expected destination is (NCAA bids or Sweet 16's or a National Championship), very few are satisfied with the state of the program at this present point.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: revolution on January 13, 2017, 11:38:53 am
Good points, although MA is certainly responsible for his recruiting throughout his tenure at Arkansas. 

If this team responds well and gets into the NCAA, then the storyline looks like he built for year 4, didn't prepare for the losses that led to the dramatic downturn of year 5, but then righted the ship for year 6. 

If this team improves upon last year but falls short of the Tournament, then there still can be hope and belief that the future is going to be significantly better without any real historical evidence.  His future recruits give hope and belief validity for some.   

I do think the rest of this year will largely set the narrative.  The question is now front and center - can Anderson get Arkansas where the fans want to go?  While we might not all agree on exactly what the desired or expected destination is (NCAA bids or Sweet 16's or a National Championship), very few are satisfied with the state of the program at this present point.

Good post.  I wouldn't say mike is solely responsible for recruiting, though, think the university, facilities, basketball prestige, etc.. are also to blame which are out of his control For the most part.  Recruiting hasn't been terrible though, but we can definitely see an uptick lately. 

upperdeck_hawg

more than won loss records in conference, the most important statistic is how many times has a coach made it to the dance and how they did in the dance. MA is batting 20% so far. About to be less than that after this year.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

revolution

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on January 13, 2017, 12:16:56 pm
more than won loss records in conference, the most important statistic is how many times has a coach made it to the dance and how they did in the dance. MA is batting 20% so far. About to be less than that after this year.

So let's add that metric to the comparison:  (NCAA bids in completed seasons in SEC)

Bruce Pearl       TN     65-31 SEC       .68     6 NCAA bids in 6 seasons
Mark Gottfried   AL      83-82 SEC      .51      5 NCAA bids in 11 seasons
Rick Stansbury  MS     122-102 SEC    .54     6 NCAA bids in 14 seasons
Kevin Stallings   VU     138-142 SEC    .49     7 NCAA bids in 17 seasons
Mark Fox          GA      64-60 SEC      .51     2 NCAA bids in 7 seasons
Johnny Jones    LSU     41-35 SEC     .53      1 NCAA bid in 3 seasons
Mike Anderson   AR      49-43 SEC     .53      1 NCAA bid in 5 seasons
Andy Kennedy   MS      81-75 SEC     .51      2 NCAA bids in 10 seasons
Anthony Grant   AL      56-50 SEC      .52     1 NCAA bid in 6 seasons
Bruce Pearl       AU      10-30 SEC      .25     0 NCAA bids in 2 seasons

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: revolution on January 13, 2017, 11:13:29 am
That's a good catch!  Sorry I didn't think that through.  MA's conference winning percentage at Mizzou was 53.8%.  At Arkansas it's 53.3%.  Not a lot of difference.  Of course, the perception is that the Big 12 was a much tougher league, and I think that's accurate. 

So has Anderson performed worse at Arkansas or about the same as at Missouri?  Is he just about to do better in conference games than his historical record would predict? 

MA has performed worse at Arkansas, undoubtedly.
[CENSORED]!

cityhog

Quote from: revolution on January 13, 2017, 11:13:29 am

I would argue he has been worse at Arkansas. Big12 is a much tougher conference than is the SEC, so wins are more precious in that conference.

Vandyhog4

Quote from: revolution on January 13, 2017, 09:56:37 am

Mike Anderson's record is most comparable to this bunch:
     Bruce Pearl      .55  (9 seasons)
     Rick Stansbury .54  (14 seasons)
     Mike Anderson  .53  (6 seasons SEC)
     Johnny Jones   .53  (5 seaons)
     Anthony Grant  .52  (6 seasons)
     Andy Kennedy  .51  (11 seasons)
     Mark Fox         .51  (7 seasons)
     Mark Gottfried  .50  (11 seasons)

Pretty telling.  Almost all of those coaches got fired, or will be fired, for lack of performance at schools that don't have near the history or expectation.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Vandyhog4 on January 13, 2017, 01:36:58 pm
Pretty telling.  Almost all of those coaches got fired, or will be fired, for lack of performance at schools that don't have near the history or expectation.

Pearl was fired for recruiting violations not W-L record. Rick Stansbury retired, was not fired. Under pressure, maybe. But the "mediocrity" label is accurate.
[CENSORED]!

tophawg19

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 13, 2017, 11:25:16 am

you can't count the upcoming classes because they haven't happened yet and may not. most of those with a like record got fired
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

PharmacistHog

Its hard to compare those older coaches to these now. The SEC is WAY weaker now.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 13, 2017, 03:58:18 pm
Its hard to compare those older coaches to these now. The SEC is WAY weaker now.

Conference is what it is, and if it's weak can weigh on you in terms of recruiting, perception of the league during bid time and either quality of play.

Other factors how many more D-1 BBall schools today compared to 30 or so years ago when the field expanded to 64.

It's all relative and is what it is.  Biggest takeaway from all the data:  Kim Anderson, yeesh.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

GoHogs1091

Huge difference in the coaching Tuesday night in Bud Walton, but not surprising considering that Ben Howland out-coaches a lot of opposing Coaches.

Rick Pitino, Billy Donovan, Nolan Richardson, and Ben Howland are the only high quality Head Coaches on that list.  The rest of the list is a bunch of mediocrity.