Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A question for the "Mike must stay" posters

Started by Karma, January 12, 2017, 12:48:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

I know there aren't many, but for those of you that say that Mike must get at least 2 more years, what would need to happen for you to change your mind?  What if we lost out or only won a few games? What if several of the 18 commits decommitted?

Is there any scenario in which you agree that Mike should be let go at the end of this season, or do you believe he should get 2 more years no matter what?

The_Iceman

Quote from: Karma on January 12, 2017, 12:48:49 pm
I know there aren't many, but for those of you that say that Mike must get at least 2 more years, what would need to happen for you to change your mind?  What if we lost out or only won a few games? What if several of the 18 commits decommitted?

Is there any scenario in which you agree that Mike should be let go at the end of this season, or do you believe he should get 2 more years no matter what?

There undying love for Mike Anderson has no limits.

311Hog

I am not sure i am a "mike must stay" poster, but for me the list is as follows.

1. if you fire Mike you better damn well have a 5 star replacement we are talking can't miss hire.
2. If he were to lose the incoming 2 recruiting classes, and fail to make the big dance in spectacular fashion (lose out as you say). Then our hand maybe forced on the change.

So then we are talking probability and availability right?  what are the chances we can make a big time hire? what are the chances the kids Mike has committed back out?

To me it seems like the next 2 years at least are destined, as we will likely come in 4th or 5th in the SEC this year and probably just miss the dance, but not bad enough to force a change considering the possible future.

hogsanity

Imo, the Mike must stay people are just trolls, they can not possibly believe the garbage they post.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Next1_04

Kevin

nothing because, all those in state recruits will go elsewhere if he gets fired.  it is not about the on court performance anymore.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Biggus Piggus

If Arkansas completely melts down from here to the end of this season + then Jeff Long pulls off some kind of miracle hire, then the U of A can retain these recruits.
[CENSORED]!

Hawg Red

Breaking down the recruits:

2017: Where is Darious Hall going to go? Arkansas, it appears, was the only school to seriously recruit him. Does he have a school to fallback on? Daniel Gafford committed to the Hogs a year and a half ago. He never really got seriously recruited by schools. So now he's going to make a rushed decision in a short period of time? Garland was previously committed to another school, so, to me, he's the real threat to go somewhere else because he actually has.

2018: The Arkansas Hawks. 4/5ths of the starting 5. Something tells me they want to play together and that they picked Arkansas tells me there is some in-state loyalty + maybe they want to do their own thing and not just be another recruit for a bigger program. Players like Joe and Sills were receiving decent interest, but would they really rather play for Tulsa, Missouri, or Alabama (seem to remember those being the kind of schools recruiting them)? Fair to assume they've probably upped their visibility just committing to an SEC school. Hard to say how sought after they'd be. Perry would be in high demand. I would worry about losing him, but I remember that announcement letter and him saying playing for Arkansas was his dream and Arkansas is his Kentucky. Pretty strong desire, IMO. Henderson might look around, and definitely received some legit interest elsewhere before committing. His comments on where he wanted to play seemed much more pragmatic to me. I'd say he and Perry would be the most likely to leave out of the players committed to this class, but again, how badly do these kids all want to play together. Seems like that's what they want to do and Arkansas is the only school where they can do that.

2019: I think if we hire a coach that carries some class and is respectable, Fitz and Justice Hill will remain on board. And remember, he's tied heavily to the 2018 recruits.

Long would have to make a good hire, no doubt. But we can only assume that these kids want very badly to be Hogs. No reason to assume they're gone if we hire Mike. I'm sure Mike was a big reason why they committed, but there are other strong factors at playing helping Arkansas. Consider how early on a lot of these kids committed to Arkansas. Usually when that happens, it's a university thing. Just my two cents. Garland, Henderson, and Perry would be my concerns. Garland moreso than anyone else and Perry less so than those 3 I mentioned. Again, just my gut using the reasoning I've laid out above. I think any coach with a pulse can keep these kids committed.

hogsanity

All the angst over Hill is hilarious. A 2019 class guy, which means he is still almost 3 years away from being a FR, we are supposed to keep a coach because of who MIGHT come here to play in 3 years.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

cardsNhogs

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 12, 2017, 02:05:09 pm
Breaking down the recruits:

2017: Where is Darious Hall going to go? Arkansas, it appears, was the only school to seriously recruit him. Does he have a school to fallback on? Daniel Gafford committed to the Hogs a year and a half ago. He never really got seriously recruited by schools. So now he's going to make a rushed decision in a short period of time? Garland was previously committed to another school, so, to me, he's the real threat to go somewhere else because he actually has.

2018: The Arkansas Hawks. 4/5ths of the starting 5. Something tells me they want to play together and that they picked Arkansas tells me there is some in-state loyalty + maybe they want to do their own thing and not just be another recruit for a bigger program. Players like Joe and Sills were receiving decent interest, but would they really rather play for Tulsa, Missouri, or Alabama (seem to remember those being the kind of schools recruiting them)? Fair to assume they've probably upped their visibility just committing to an SEC school. Hard to say how sought after they'd be. Perry would be in high demand. I would worry about losing him, but I remember that announcement letter and him saying playing for Arkansas was his dream and Arkansas is his Kentucky. Pretty strong desire, IMO. Henderson might look around, and definitely received some legit interest elsewhere before committing. His comments on where he wanted to play seemed much more pragmatic to me. I'd say he and Perry would be the most likely to leave out of the players committed to this class, but again, how badly do these kids all want to play together. Seems like that's what they want to do and Arkansas is the only school where they can do that.

2019: I think if we hire a coach that carries some class and is respectable, Fitz and Justice Hill will remain on board. And remember, he's tied heavily to the 2018 recruits.

Long would have to make a good hire, no doubt. But we can only assume that these kids want very badly to be Hogs. No reason to assume they're gone if we hire Mike. I'm sure Mike was a big reason why they committed, but there are other strong factors at playing helping Arkansas. Consider how early on a lot of these kids committed to Arkansas. Usually when that happens, it's a university thing. Just my two cents. Garland, Henderson, and Perry would be my concerns. Garland moreso than anyone else and Perry less so than those 3 I mentioned. Again, just my gut using the reasoning I've laid out above. I think any coach with a pulse can keep these kids committed.
Very Good Post! Even if they all leave(which they won't) a change has to be made

cardsNhogs

Quote from: hogsanity on January 12, 2017, 02:09:49 pm
All the angst over Hill is hilarious. A 2019 class guy, which means he is still almost 3 years away from being a FR, we are supposed to keep a coach because of who MIGHT come here to play in 3 years.
As of right now he isn't even a top 100 player either

hogsanity

Quote from: cardsNhogs on January 12, 2017, 02:10:29 pm
As of right now he isn't even a top 100 player either

If his daddy was not Fitz Hill no one would care.

tophawg19

Quote from: 311Hog on January 12, 2017, 12:53:09 pm
I am not sure i am a "mike must stay" poster, but for me the list is as follows.

1. if you fire Mike you better damn well have a 5 star replacement we are talking can't miss hire.
2. If he were to lose the incoming 2 recruiting classes, and fail to make the big dance in spectacular fashion (lose out as you say). Then our hand maybe forced on the change.

So then we are talking probability and availability right?  what are the chances we can make a big time hire? what are the chances the kids Mike has committed back out?

To me it seems like the next 2 years at least are destined, as we will likely come in 4th or 5th in the SEC this year and probably just miss the dance, but not bad enough to force a change considering the possible future.
so you are satisfied with another NIT Bid and a promise of next year? this is why our team is in such bad shape. everyone keeps ''waiting on next year'' . the good teams don't put up with this crap and we used to be one of them and can be again, but it starts with cleaning house . Long waits till most of the better coaches have jobs and then scrambles to get someone .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Letsroll1200

Mike has this season to show improvement regardless. Outside of losing the rest of the SEC games or a Bobby Petrino type situation I can not see Mike Anderson being replaced as the coach of the Razorbacks. I'm at the point that Mike gets next season regardless. I want to see what Mike is able to do with next year class. 

1. He has the recruits coming to Fayetteville. If Mike is fired Arkansas will not hire a top level coach. Mike Anderson is very respected among the coaching fraternity.

2. Barford, Macon, Garland, Hall, Jones and Bailey will be a team that can get up and down. MA will be able to play his system with these guys. Gafford will be the best big since Portis.

3. Jeff Long has already said the first 2 years where for Mike to clean up the program. It's tough to recruit to Fayetteville!! 

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 12, 2017, 02:36:53 pm
Mike has this season to show improvement regardless. Outside of losing the rest of the SEC games or a Bobby Petrino type situation I can not see Mike Anderson being replaced as the coach of the Razorbacks. I'm at the point that Mike gets next season regardless. I want to see what Mike is able to do with next year class. 

1. He has the recruits coming to Fayetteville. If Mike is fired Arkansas will not hire a top level coach. Mike Anderson is very respected among the coaching fraternity.

2. Barford, Macon, Garland, Hall, Jones and Bailey will be a team that can get up and down. MA will be able to play his system with these guys. Gafford will be the best big since Portis.

3. Jeff Long has already said the first 2 years where for Mike to clean up the program. It's tough to recruit to Fayetteville!!

I agree that I do not see him being let go after the season unless the team is just a complete and utter embarrassment the rest of the way. I do not think Long will look to make a move after this season, but I'd imagine he'd be out of chances after that.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 12, 2017, 02:38:55 pm
I agree that I do not see him being let go after the season unless the team is just a complete and utter embarrassment the rest of the way. I do not think Long will look to make a move after this season, but I'd imagine he'd be out of chances after that.

Next season is make or break!!

Sivad

Little Lady Back

Quote from: hogsanity on January 12, 2017, 02:14:24 pm
If his daddy was not Fitz Hill no one would care.

Sure hope that he nor his dad read this. Bet they would care!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

rude1

Let me ask you a serious question and I believe this has a high probability of happening. What if Mike misses the tourney this year and next, would you still be in favor of "another year" in hopes that the 2018 recruits will be the magic number even though that would mean 1 tourney visit in 7 years heading into year 8?

hogsanity

porkinsons disease

Quote from: hogsanity on January 12, 2017, 03:02:49 pm
that is what people said after last season.
Yes, because of that great Juco class coming in. Now they are holding us hostage over the '18 class.

there are no guarantees how good a recruit will be
a good coach could probably keep the class intact
What we have now is not working (the true definition of insanity)

My sig line shows fcj plays both sides depending on his agenda
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Kevin

Quote from: porkinsons disease on January 12, 2017, 03:09:07 pm
Yes, because of that great Juco class coming in. Now they are holding us hostage over the '18 class.

there are no guarantees how good a recruit will be
a good coach could probably keep the class intact
What we have now is not working (the true definition of insanity)

My sig line shows fcj plays both sides depending on his agenda

nice job finding the fcj quote
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Kevin on January 12, 2017, 03:12:12 pm
nice job finding the fcj quote
haha...thanks. There are so many to choose from. Maybe I'll do one of his "pearls of wisdom" every week. I've tried to get him to address it, but no luck yet.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

DeltaBoy

Nolan said on Bo's show just relax and what what happens.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bvillepig

Quote from: 311Hog on January 12, 2017, 12:53:09 pm

Well said.  I am in this group with the only addition is I think the SEC gets 4 or 5 in this year.
if you fire Mike you better damn well have a 5 star replacement

He is as good a fit or better than 85% of all the other coaches out there for Arkansas.  You better get one of the top 15 in the country or we will be a Missouri pretty fast.

tophawg19

he didn't need 2 years to clean up anything . Pel did most of that. Recruiting to Fayetteville is easier in basketball because of our AAU programs . where is the link where Long gave 2 years? the only place I've heard that was FCJ . Mike doesn't command enough respect to stop coaches when they know his work here is subpar . 20 % of your years end in NCaa bids and only 40 % in the NIT if we get in this year . otherwise he is 1 for 6 in each
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hogwood

I am a CMA supporter although not a "Mike must stay" regardless guy. But I think if this team fails to reach the tournament there is no way I can logically support him. I do think he will get another year from Long. But we will only be a bit better next year, so if we can't get in this year then in 17-18' we get in and get to the 2nd round?? Not worth it. If it was up to me I'd put the pressure on right now and tell him it's this year or bust, and I would start the coaching search right now to find a stellar hire. What has been said is right, if we let Mike go we really need to get it right this time.

Biggus Piggus

When MA went to UAB and Missouri, he fixed the roster with a combination of freshmen and junior college players. His juco guards were important, and the juco forwards added valuable depth. He used juco recruiting to boost the talent level faster than he could have done with only freshmen.

At Arkansas, MA ran into the SEC's restrictions on junior college transfers. Some of his intended targets could not get SEC-eligible. Some didn't have the transcript, and a couple violated the number-of-previous-schools rule.

Stan Heath had the same problem when he took over. Like Heath, MA was not aware of how much SEC rules would limit him until he got to Fayetteville.

Both Heath and Anderson came in with a plan for rejiggering the roster, and both were unable to implement their plans.

Anderson learned that Arkansas was in a precarious APR position (because of the poor academic progress in Heath's time + Pelphrey's first full recruiting class - Clarke, Fortson, Henry, Moore, McDonald, Clark).

Anderson's first roster at Arkansas:

G Rashad Madden - freshman
G Julysses Nobles - junior
G Rickey Scott - sophomore
G Mardracus Wade - sophomore
G B.J. Young - freshman

F Devonta Abron - freshman
F Hunter Mickelson - freshman
F Marshawn Powell - junior (got hurt two games in and missed the season)
F Michael Sanchez - senior
F Marvell Waithe - senior

Also playing were footballer Brandon Mitchell (10 games) and walk-on Kikko Haydar (soph).

You would have thought these guards fit into MA's system. Wade and Haydar were the best defenders, and nobody else was that good on D. Wade and Young shot over 40% from 3-pt range, and everybody thought the team would be "there" when Powell got healthy again.

Both guys' 3-pt shooting went totally to hell the next season. Both under 30%, Young down at 23%. It was freaky. Young maintained his 15 ppg but on far more shots, and Wade slid from 11 ppg to 6.5.

The guards in year two were

Bell - freshman
Gulley - junior transfer from Oklahoma State
Haydar - junior
Madden - sophomore
Qualls - freshman
Scott - junior
Wade - junior
Wagner - freshman
Young - sophomore (left after this season)

The team shot 30% from 3-pt range, gave up 36%, and that was why the Hogs finished 19-13. Bad defense.

In year three the guards were

Bell - sophomore
Gulley - senior
Haydar - senior
Madden - junior
Qualls - sophomore
Scott - senior
Wade - senior
Wagner - sophomore
Watkins - freshman

Scott played in 23 of the Hogs' 34 games, shot 49% at the line and was generally unusable. Wade was eighth on the team in minutes and scored 3.9 ppg - remember he had 11 ppg as a sophomore. Wade was an accurate shooter, just would not shoot. It's a mystery why Wagner came back for another season.

Qualls made massive improvement from frosh to sophomore season. Madden became a deadeye outside shooter, though he still was the worst ballhandler on the team. Qualls was the only guard in the top seven defenders on the team, though Haydar was scrappy. That team was all set to make the NCAAT but closed with two bad losses and ended up in the NIT.

With Gulley, Haydar, Scott, Wade and Wagner going out, the next year Arkansas added Nick Babb (gone), Anton Beard and Jabril Durham (two and done).

Maybe you begin to get a picture of why MA has never quite gotten the backcourt right at Arkansas.
[CENSORED]!

311Hog

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 12, 2017, 02:19:48 pm
so you are satisfied with another NIT Bid and a promise of next year? this is why our team is in such bad shape. everyone keeps ''waiting on next year'' . the good teams don't put up with this crap and we used to be one of them and can be again, but it starts with cleaning house . Long waits till most of the better coaches have jobs and then scrambles to get someone .

Of course I am not satisfied with NIT, but here is the thing we have already "cleaned house" twice and this would be the third time.  Who do you think is walking through that door?  Right now things are in "good" shape. What I mean is that our APR is good, our future recruiting classes are good/could be great, a lot of that is thanks to Mike and some hinges on him being here, but you are right and I agree the play has been lackluster at times on DEFENSE the one end I did not expect the Hogs to struggle.

I dunno I feel if we get in the big dance and I feel like we "should" then things could go up from there.  I just feel it is to soon and could very well be extremely damaging to blow it all up on a no name assistant hire. Like I said if Long some how secured Mark Few for 4 mil a year I would gladly welcome him lol.

Big Boi

Quote from: hogsanity on January 12, 2017, 02:09:49 pm
Ky Madden was a top 20 prospect by some as a freshman. A lot can change in three years.

hogwood

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 12, 2017, 05:42:16 pm

Maybe you begin to get a picture of why MA has never quite gotten the backcourt right at Arkansas.

I mean the leftovers weren't that great but they were serviceable. It seems like you've just admitted that CMA was a poor recruiter during that time without knowing...

We had 6 guys come onboard in 2012 and the only real guard he got was Bell unless you count Wagner. The year after that the only one was Watkins. I mean, did he just not recognize that he needed guards or perhaps he believed that these leftover guards were sufficient? To me it seems you're saying he needed guards and that's why he didn't succeed. But then he didn't get any? So he either failed recruiting guards or he made a poor decision to not bring any in, according to your logic.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogwood on January 12, 2017, 06:24:34 pm
I mean the leftovers weren't that great but they were serviceable. It seems like you've just admitted that CMA was a poor recruiter during that time without knowing...

We had 6 guys come onboard in 2012 and the only real guard he got was Bell unless you count Wagner. The year after that the only one was Watkins. I mean, did he just not recognize that he needed guards or perhaps he believed that these leftover guards were sufficient? To me it seems you're saying he needed guards and that's why he didn't succeed. But then he didn't get any? So he either failed recruiting guards or he made a poor decision to not bring any in, according to your logic.

Of course he was a freaking poor recruiter, at least in those years. What did you think I was saying? And most of his inherited players failed to develop too.
[CENSORED]!

hogwood

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 12, 2017, 06:26:26 pm
Of course he was a freaking poor recruiter, at least in those years. What did you think I was saying? And most of his inherited players failed to develop too.

Your last sentence made it seem like you weren't allocating the blame to Mike but rather to the leftover guards plaguing the roster.

realistichog

Face it folks, Anderson was a highly overpaid bad hire. I was confused at the time why there was so much support for his hiring. There were those who said we should open the check book and hire him at all cost. Where are those people now? Being a hog fan I hoped he would be successful but at this point I'm sick of trying to watch ugly losing basketball. I have vowed not to watch another game live. My wife is tired of me screaming at the tv. I have zero faith that it will ever get any better under Anderson.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 12, 2017, 01:31:44 pm
If Arkansas completely melts down from here to the end of this season + then Jeff Long pulls off some kind of miracle hire, then the U of A can retain these recruits.
You are wrong on this one.if Anderson is fired.these recruits are gone no matter who he hires. listen to them when they talk about coming here.almost to a man they bring up playing for Mike. sorry but you are flat out wrong on this one.

Knot2brite

I keep hearing about losing these recruits...have any of these children signed a LOI? If not....then they could still be lost. If so, then they would have the option of being released from their LOI. I guess what I am asking is IF there is a change...are these the ONLY recruits in America and are they the absolute best recruits in America? Maybe IF a new coach is was hired he might be able to get better...no one knows...just like no one knows if these children that are signed for two, three or how ever many years from now will actually sign with the hogs or pan out if they do...being afraid of losing recruits is the same thing people said when talking about getting rid of Nutt. Has MA become HDN?
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Big Boi

Quote from: realistichog on January 12, 2017, 06:49:26 pm
Face it folks, Anderson was a highly overpaid bad hire. I was confused at the time why there was so much support for his hiring. There were those who said we should open the check book and hire him at all cost. Where are those people now? Being a hog fan I hoped he would be successful but at this point I'm sick of trying to watch ugly losing basketball. I have vowed not to watch another game live. My wife is tired of me screaming at the tv. I have zero faith that it will ever get any better under Anderson.
???

hobhog

1. Very debatable. We can hire better coach. The recruits may stay. What does respect have to do with anything?
2. Counting on several guys with low/no experience to save he day.
3. Give him the 2 year pass then this is year 4. Fanbase is in full revolt.

He dances he lives (not sure that would be good with his historic low approval rating) and if not he should be fired.

sadhogfan

I like Mike. I think he is a good guy, and a better than average coach, all things considered. I do NOT think he is great.

I wouldn't say that MA "must get at least two more years"; it is clear that he has struggled to replicate the same level of success here that he did at UAB and Missouri, despite the fact that I thought it would be easier to do so here (though Biggus made some good points about SEC requirements above).

I am not also incredibly concerned about the recruits—I think a good coach will be able to keep at least most of them.

I AM concerned about our ability to successfully hire a better coach than MA. Based on recent hires (Altman fiasco, Pelphrey, John L., Bielema, Jimmy Dykes), I am not sure what gives people confidence that we will be able to bring in a great coach, or even a marginal improvement. I would hate to reboot the system with someone who is no better than Mike or even worse.

Perhaps that attitude betrays a fear to make a move that guarantees we never achieve greatness again, but I do think it is a reasonable concern based on what we have seen recently with coaching hires.

rzrbackramsfan

I'm one of those guys.  I have a lot of hope for the future classes and i guess I'd just have to see how I felt at seasons end. 

To answer your question though, I'd say 8th in the conference.

Etowah

yall are talking about firing MA, and I am worried Cal will retire and Kentucky will throw a ton of money at him or Coach K doesn't recover from back surgery and he becomes a Dukie.

OperationRestoreHawgBall

Quote from: Kevin on January 12, 2017, 01:25:27 pm
nothing because, all those in state recruits will go elsewhere if he gets fired.  it is not about the on court performance anymore.

This is a joke right?

hamARchy in the USA

It would be throwing away those recruiting classes to allow MA to coach them.

RedRock

Opposing coaches respect MA because he is not feared.  I always hated the teams and coaches that beat my teams growing up and felt warm fuzzy respect / a sense of empathy for teams that sucked.