Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ok Ok Let's Get Back to Business....

Started by hawgsalot, January 12, 2017, 09:10:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgsalot

First I really thought MA would have a big turnaround but the Fl and MSU losses have these team spiraling down quicker than the mallard I shot this morning.  So what is it going to take TODAY to get to the tournament and complete this comeback season.  I'm over the hire fire talk it'll take care of itself.  What I want to know is how can we overcome the MSU loss to  realistically make the dance before the SEC tournament?

Razorod

Have to make up for it with large quantity of wins. Best way is to beat Fla and/or S Carolina at their places.

Realistically,
1. Absolutely can not lose another home game.
2. Go at least 4-5 on the road in conference. Should get wins at Mizzou and LSU rather easily, have to win another one--most likely candidates are Auburn, A&M and Vandy. Fla and SC tougher games.
3. Be really nice to beat Ok St as well.

That would make us 7-2 home + 4-5 on the road = 11-7. If we beat Ok St. 12-1 non-conf for 23-8. + 1 SEC tourney win should get us in at 24-9.

I think to fall below these numbers, we're probably on the outside looking in.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

tophawg19

Do we have enough good RPI wins to help by the end of season ?
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Razorod

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 12, 2017, 09:30:06 am

That could be the rub. Really could use a win against USCe or Fla. Just don't see it happening right now.

Wisco Pig

I agree that the Hogs need to go at least 24-9.   If that total doesn't include a couple of quality wins, however, it still might not be enough.

cardsNhogs

NO. We have to win at Oklahoma St. and At Florida in my opinion to have any good quality wins on the resume. The SEC is weak and Hogs RPI will not be top 50 at seasons end IMO. We will make the NIT. SAD!

Hawg Red

We needed to win out at home before losing to MSU, so we really need to now. No way around needing to beat Florida and/or South Carolina on the road, and probably A&M, too. That, of course, combined with road wins vs Missouri, LSU and probably a couple more teams. Oklahoma State might be a must-win as well. Work to be done. Not dead yet but the light is dimming.

Knot2brite

Must win out at home and 4 of 7 on the road...that is tough but not impossible if they play better defense and improve their offensive assertiveness
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

hogsanity

based on how things are now, the best win the Hogs have is UT-Arlington, and that was at home. If they do not win at SC or at FLA, UTA will be the best win of the season.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wisco Pig

Arkansas also has home games with Georgia and Ole Miss.   Georgia won at Ole Miss last night and is currently #38 in the RPI.    Ole Miss is sitting at #50.    Who knows whether wins over both or either will be considered quality wins by the end of the season.

hogsanity

Quote from: Wisco Pig on January 12, 2017, 10:20:45 am
Arkansas also has home games with Georgia and Ole Miss.   Georgia won at Ole Miss last night and is currently #38 in the RPI.    Ole Miss is sitting at #50.    Who knows whether wins over both or either will be considered quality wins by the end of the season.

old misses will not be a good win by season end. GA might be, I do not know what the rest of their schedule looks like.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wisco Pig

Quote from: hogsanity on January 12, 2017, 10:57:20 am
old misses will not be a good win by season end. GA might be, I do not know what the rest of their schedule looks like.

I tend to agree with you on Ole Miss.   Georgia's remaining schedule has real upside in terms of potentially scoring some big wins and maintaining a decent RPI:  Two games left vs. Florida, two games vs. Kentucky, and only two SEC games left against teams currently with +100 RPIs -- LSU and Mississippi State.  (Georgia's already played their one game against Missouri.)   Georgia's Big 12 challenge game is in Athens vs. Texas; a win in that game doesn't help them much.

hogwood

Quote from: Razorod on January 12, 2017, 09:20:09 am
Have to make up for it with large quantity of wins. Best way is to beat Fla and/or S Carolina at their places.

Realistically,
1. Absolutely can not lose another home game.
2. Go at least 4-5 on the road in conference. Should get wins at Mizzou and LSU rather easily, have to win another one--most likely candidates are Auburn, A&M and Vandy. Fla and SC tougher games.
3. Be really nice to beat Ok St as well.

That would make us 7-2 home + 4-5 on the road = 11-7. If we beat Ok St. 12-1 non-conf for 23-8. + 1 SEC tourney win should get us in at 24-9.

I think to fall below these numbers, we're probably on the outside looking in.

This.

hogsanity

Quote from: Wisco Pig on January 12, 2017, 11:34:18 am
I tend to agree with you on Ole Miss.   Georgia's remaining schedule has real upside in terms of potentially scoring some big wins and maintaining a decent RPI:  Two games left vs. Florida, two games vs. Kentucky, and only two SEC games left against teams currently with +100 RPIs -- LSU and Mississippi State.  (Georgia's already played their one game against Missouri.)   Georgia's Big 12 challenge game is in Athens vs. Texas; a win in that game doesn't help them much.

this of course only matters if the Hogs beat Ga at home.

Atlhogfan1

Ok St is 0-4 in the Big 12

Next 4 games
at KU who is 5 in kenpom's latest
#28 K St at home
at #30 TT
#32 TCU at home

Then they host the Hogs. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hollywood_HOGan45

JUST WIN!!

We will need to really start racking up wins to make our record look better than we actually are.
Prob need a win at fla or South Carolina to go along with a win in Stillwater in order to make up for losing at home.

Mike better be feeling some heat and get his crap in gear.

LR_Matt

No, we play no one in non-conf and the SEC is weak which is partly the hogs fault.

tophawg19

so what RPI do we have to have to really get considered

bvillepig

We have to finish in the top 4 of the SEC.

tophawg19

well Kentucky and Florida have two spots , Georgia , tenn, So carolina , Arkansas and  Miss st  are all fighting for two spots ? not comforting . forgot about Auburn in the mix too

rude1

The schedule has been better than some think, if it wasn't we wouldn't have never made it to a 25 rpi. Now what has to happen is we have to win all the winnable games. The ones I think the chances are slim to none are Fl., SC away, toss  up I say SC home, that is potentially 2-3 more losses or 13-5 to 12-6. Anything less than that I don't believe there's a chance at all other than winning the SEC tourney and that's no chance. Just don't see this erratic team and coach able to do it. They might do like the Portis freshman team did, make a run to get on the bubble then fall on their faces at the end.

Razorod

Quote from: rude1 on January 13, 2017, 11:36:19 pm
The schedule has been better than some think, if it wasn't we wouldn't have never made it to a 25 rpi. Now what has to happen is we have to win all the winnable games. The ones I think the chances are slim to none are Fl., SC away, toss  up I say SC home, that is potentially 2-3 more losses or 13-5 to 12-6. Anything less than that I don't believe there's a chance at all other than winning the SEC tourney and that's no chance. Just don't see this erratic team and coach able to do it. They might do like the Portis freshman team did, make a run to get on the bubble then fall on their faces at the end.
I believe we'll know if we have a chance by end of the Ok St game. Three road games in the next five may well determine this team's fate.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hawgsalot on January 12, 2017, 09:10:57 am
First I really thought MA would have a big turnaround but the Fl and MSU losses have these team spiraling down quicker than the mallard I shot this morning.  So what is it going to take TODAY to get to the tournament and complete this comeback season.  I'm over the hire fire talk it'll take care of itself.  What I want to know is how can we overcome the MSU loss to  realistically make the dance before the SEC tournament?

Doesn't matter how you do it, we need to win 24 games or the SECT.  That's all!

realistichog