Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 6, 2011

Started by WilsonHog, January 11, 2017, 09:16:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

If you would have told me on April 6, 2011 that in his first five years Mike Anderson's Razorbacks would only go to ONE NCAA Tournament, I would have said you were outside of your damn mind.

It is amazing to me that with our lack of tourney appearances and our start in SEC play this year, we STILL have people saying, "Just wait, just wait..."

I'd eat sh*t with a broken spoon right now if Ben Howland was our coach. He could have shown up three sheets to the wind last night and coached circles around the guy on our bench.

Despite what some think, in-game coaching matters. "THEY PUNKIN' YOU!" ain't getting the job done.

rude1

I wasn't thrilled with the hire, but the resume was good enough to warrant a shot. I didn't have high hopes, but I certainly thought he would at least build a consistent tourney team, even if they never won anything. He has underachieved even the low expectations I had for him.

hogwood

Definitely hard to have imagined that back then. From the beginning my expectations weren't that high as I knew it would be quite the task. I've always said it would take about 6-7 years for this thing to get rolling. But still 1/5 years was not what I was thinking. In my mind it was more like 3 years of not much/NIT/gradual growth, then 2 years in a row of NCAAT appearances with modest results. After that I would've thought we'd be getting on to that rolling stage by now, but it appears that is still a ways off as we haven't even gotten to the 2 NCAAT in a row "phase" yet.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogwood on January 11, 2017, 09:25:47 pm
Definitely hard to have imagined that back then. From the beginning my expectations weren't that high as I knew it would be quite the task. I've always said it would take about 6-7 years for this thing to get rolling. But still 1/5 years was not what I was thinking. In my mind it was more like 3 years of not much/NIT/gradual growth, then 2 years in a row of NCAAT appearances with modest results. After that I would've thought we'd be getting on to that rolling stage by now, but it appears that is still a ways off as we haven't even gotten to the 2 NCAAT in a row "phase" yet.

I was hardcore to hire Mike, but if I knew these were the results we would get I wouldn't have been.

lynbug

I actually kinda kept up with him during his construction/renovation/(whatever you want to call it)projects at UAB and Missouri and in retrospect he seemed more focused and involved.  I expected that and much more at Arkansas but it's been anything but that.  What do you guys think happened?  It seems that he has taken his foot off the gas pedal and shifted into neutral.... or park.

forrest city joe

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 11, 2017, 09:16:38 pm
If you would have told me on April 6, 2011 that in his first five years Mike Anderson's Razorbacks would only go to ONE NCAA Tournament, I would have said you were outside of your damn mind.

It is amazing to me that with our lack of tourney appearances and our start in SEC play this year, we STILL have people saying, "Just wait, just wait..."

I'd eat sh*t with a broken spoon right now if Ben Howland was our coach. He could have shown up three sheets to the wind last night and coached circles around the guy on our bench.

Despite what some think, in-game coaching matters. "THEY PUNKIN' YOU!" ain't getting the job done.
Let me try again.Jeff Long said the program was in such bad shap that he does not even count Mike's first 2  years. then Portis and Qualls happen and that set the program back. there are reasons for where we are. and it's not Mike's coaching.he is building it the right way.

McKdaddy

It was startlingly bad watching his coaching moments during the timeouts.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

WilsonHog

Quote from: lynbug on January 11, 2017, 09:39:27 pm
I actually kinda kept up with him during his construction/renovation/(whatever you want to call it)projects at UAB and Missouri and in retrospect he seemed more focused and involved.  I expected that and much more at Arkansas but it's been anything but that.  What do you guys think happened?  It seems that he has taken his foot off the gas pedal and shifted into neutral.... or park.

guys think

I think that when he was at UAB and Missouri he had something to prove - that he should have gotten the Arkansas job after Nolan. Now that he has it, he's at the one job he always wanted, he doesn't have much left to prove.

Of course, it doesn't help that he doesn't appear to be much of a bench coach.

forrest city joe

Quote from: McKdaddy on January 11, 2017, 09:41:38 pm
It was startlingly bad watching his coaching moments during the timeouts.
It's funny reading all you coaching experts. Mike is making 2 million to coach.yet all you experts know more than he does.give me a break.

cosmodrum

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 09:43:54 pm
It's funny reading all you coaching experts. Mike is making 2 million to coach.yet all you experts know more than he does.give me a break.

They punkin you
Go away, batin'

elksnort

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 11, 2017, 09:16:38 pm

I almost started laughing my butt off and then I realized you are serious

forrest city joe

Quote from: cosmodrum on January 11, 2017, 09:44:42 pm
They punkin you
Mike Anderson is an outstanding basketball coach. i hope Jeff Long will hold strong and not fire him.don't let some of these fansforce you to make a mistake Jeff.

McKdaddy

So defensive.

forrest city joe

McKdaddy

I'm still holding out hope it will work out for CMA at the UA, just discouraged over 5.5 years of repeated shortcomings, akin to what we are witnessing via CBB's program.

McKdaddy

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 09:48:57 pm
Nope. just keeping it real.

As I've said several times on here, I hope ultimately you will be correct, just seeing few reasons to keep my hopes up.

BigHog396

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 09:40:22 pm
Let me try again.Jeff Long said the program was in such bad shap that he does not even count Mike's first 2  years. then Portis and Qualls happen and that set the program back. there are reasons for where we are. and it's not Mike's coaching.he is building it the right way.
It IS Mike's coaching... it's the lack of any coaching ability.

This program was not a dumpster fire when Mike got here.

Portis and Qualls hurt ONE season... they have NOTHING to do with how poor our fundamentals are this year.

A good coach turns basically any college program around in about 3 years.  Hell, look at what Howland has done at MSU in two for cryin' out loud!  Guess you're telling us that Howland is just that much better than Mike... because Howland DID take over a dumpster fire.

Ironhawg

If lack of major college coaching experience invalidates the opinions of posters who are done with Mike, it invalidates your opinion as well.

elksnort

When people get too comfortable, meaning they don't suspect they'll lose their job, then you're not going to get the best performance out of them

forrest city joe

Quote from: BigHog396 on January 11, 2017, 09:52:10 pm

Portis and Qualls hurt ONE season... they have NOTHING to do with how poor our fundamentals are this year.

A good coach turns basically any college program around in about 3 years.  Hell, look at what Howland has done at MSU in two for cryin' out loud!  Guess you're telling us that Howland is just that much better than Mike... because Howland DID take over a dumpster fire.
A.D. Jeff Long does not agree with you that
This program was not a dumpster fire when Mike got here. in fact he said it was. and i agree with Jeff on that.

forrest city joe

Quote from: elksnort on January 11, 2017, 09:56:10 pm
When people get too comfortable, meaning they don't suspect they'll lose their job, then you're not going to get the best performance out of them
You mean like coach B with his big buyout?

hamsam

So Jeff Long is smart for keeping MA but stupid for keeping BB? Is that what you're saying Joe? He's smart...yet stupid??

NOTHING ON THAT CAPMUS was as broken as the football program when CBB got here. NOTHING!!

See the problem here?? Probably not...
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

VirginiaHog

He did turn it around in 3 years. Went to the tourney. Would have last year too if Portis and Qualls returned. Then this year we would be attempting to go for a third straight year.

elksnort

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 09:58:33 pm
THIS, we agree on. Good call on your part but it's not the topic

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 09:57:41 pm
This program was not a dumpster fire when Mike got here. in fact he said it was. and i agree with Jeff on that.

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

McKdaddy

Quote from: Ironhawg on January 11, 2017, 09:53:49 pm
If lack of major college coaching experience invalidates the opinions of posters who are done with Mike, it invalidates your opinion as well.

^^^^^

onebadrubi

Lol you are a joke!  You say this but turn around and bash the hell out of Bielema.  You are literally using your bashes against Bielema and using them as pros for Mike.

BigHog396

Jeff Long has said nothing of the sort.

Even if he did, and said the first two years didn't count...  That just means that Mike couldn't make it over .500 in his third year, and will be struggling to even make the dance in his fourth.

We can go either way you want with this.  Either way should end with Mike getting fired if he can't coach well enough to get to the dance this year.

We have seen the same COMPLETE lack of any coaching ability out of Mike for nearly six full seasons now.  He can't recruit at the level he needs to.  He can't coach defense.  He can't coach rebounding.  He can't coach any type of offensive system.  Basically, the guy can't coach anything that has anything to do with the basic fundamentals of the game of basketball.  The only area that we have seen any improvement is in free throw percentage... and that went to hell last night.

BigHog396

Quote from: VirginiaHog on January 11, 2017, 10:04:03 pm
He did turn it around in 3 years. Went to the tourney. Would have last year too if Portis and Qualls returned. Then this year we would be attempting to go for a third straight year.

He didn't turn anything around.  The program was already on the up-swing when he got here.  He barely improved on what was already there his first two seasons, and had a good year in his third.  His recruiting had been so poor that he BARELY managed to finish at .500 in his fifth season, and there was no way anyone could have possibly expected Portis to come back for another year.

Hogs958

it's ok. We only lost to Kentucky by 26...at least that's an argument some will choose to make.

porkinsons disease

Wilson we disagree on this one. it does not take 4 or 5 years to build a basketball program. im not saying Pel should be fired. i like him and hope he is the man for this job. but i am not seeing it in recruiting right now.that is what worries me.---Guess who Jan 24,2009
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: lynbug on January 11, 2017, 09:39:27 pm

It doesn't appear to me that much about MA has changed.  He's the same.  The poor fundamentals, lack of discipline, and inconsistent effort of his teams were always a problem.  He only had one decent year at each of his two previous stops.  His program at Mizzou was not competitive at the top of the Big 12 when Jeff Long gave him a raise and a long term contract to come to Arkansas.

What is different now is the perspective of those who thought he was a good coach when he was hired.  The mini-mania has run its course and reality is setting in in the sixth year of futility.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one. Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds.

hawganatic

Can you provide the quote where Long said this?  Can you explain to us how the program was in such bad shape in 2011 when Anderson took the job, other than just claiming Long said it?

The program, under no definition of bad shape, was in bad shape.  Anderson inherited what was suppose to be the class that was going to pull us back into the elite.  Portis and Qualls didn't "happen."  Every program has players leave early.  That's why you recruit EVERY year to cover it.

If anything Portis and Qualls "happening" is another argument to replace Anderson.  One of the all time great Razorbacks, and another very talented, coupled with the class he was given in 2011 should have been enough to win consistently.  Nothing really came of it though.

So again, please produce the quote where Long gave Anderson a two year pass.  I've never been on the fire Long bandwagon, but might join in if he really said that.

Letsroll1200

I guess Greg Marshall is not a good coach if that's the case

hog47

Well, I have coached at the high school level and I supported CA but his coaching is suspect and his coaching on the sidelines is proof he is weak in directing his players on what plays he wants and how. Look, I typically don't respond but it's obviously becoming a major problem in player development and it's telling how our players are responding to game situations.

colbs

Football was in bad shape when but you are all about firing BB.  He's been here 2 less years than MA.  Plus it's a lot easier to build a basketball program.  Neither coach has got it done here yet, but you make excuses for MA.

majp51

So Joe does this mean you believe Phillip Morris back in the day when they smoking wasn't harmful to your health?

I mean Jeff Long has the same amount of "conflict of interest"  and credibility with regards to CMA as Phillip Morris has to with cigarette safety.

Hawg Red

I wasn't exactly against the hire, though he was not my preference. But even then, I didn't really expect to miss the postseason. I was thinking NIT first season (remember that we had Powell and Rotnei returning plus the great 2011 class). I expected to be in the NCAAT by Year 2. He has wildly underperformed by even the most modest of expectations.

That said, while I'm not too confident in our rest-of-season prospects right now, he's got the rest of the season to earn it back with me. I'm mostly afraid of another coaching change but nothing has worked since we fired Nolan. Why couldn't they just promote Mike from the jump? He actually could have had some success here back in the early 2000s and the program might not have fallen into disarray. It's not like his style/system of basketball just sucks. It's that the game and the way the game is officiated have made it much less effective that it used to be, and he has not adapted or adjusted one bit. We all like to act like that 2014-2015 season was so great, but we only won one game in the NCAAT (beating a Southern Conference school by 3 points). It was only great by comparison.

Off the court, Mike has done great work to stabilize the program. There is no doubt about that. He restored some order there and cleaned up the image of what an Arkansas basketball player is. I greatly appreciate that. He's a genuinely good person who most people that are familiar with him feel compelled to respect. But I think his time has passed as a high-major basketball coach.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 09:47:19 pm
Mike Anderson is an outstanding basketball coach. i hope Jeff Long will hold strong and not fire him.don't let some of these fansforce you to make a mistake Jeff.
Mike Anderson is an average coach. Outstanding is wrong as fast as 40 minutes to nowhere

Kevin

I don't believe half the stuff the ad or coaches say for public consumption. if you follow along closely most of it turns out to be false.
most of the stuff they put out is propaganda.

another thought:

portis is to Anderson, as McFadden was to nutt.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

RagingHawgOn

You throw this crap out like you know everything. You tell me one area in which MA is an outstanding coach.  Just one. I have a good idea what you will say....if you choose to answer. 

LRHawg

Quote from: Kevin on January 12, 2017, 07:52:20 am
I don't believe half the stuff the ad or coaches say for public consumption. if you follow along closely most of it turns out to be false.
most of the stuff they put out is propaganda.

another thought:

portis is to Anderson, as McFadden was to nutt.

Pretty much. Portis has bought Mike another few years, because without him, Mike has 0 tournament appearances. 0.

pigroots

If the NCAA would just go to 128 teams I believe we might have made the tournament at least half of CMA years.I mean come on its only been 6 years. If the fans would just fill up BWA they'd play better. We don't have a history of good basketball...well never mind. One excuse is as good as another but the bottom line is he's not getting the job done and he is the guy who has to take responsibility for it.

PonderinHog

My mistake was not realizing that Razorback basketball was a lot deader than I thought in 2011.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 12, 2017, 07:39:53 am
He has wildly underperformed by even the most modest of expectations.

Agreed.

The_Iceman

If Mike is an outstanding basketball coach, than what are Heath and Pelphrey?

Stan Heath
1- No NCAA
2- No NCAA
3- No NCAA
4- NCAA 1st Round
5- NCAA 1st Round

John Pelphrey
1- NCAA 2nd Round
2- No NCAA
3- No NCAA
4- No NCAA

Mike Anderson
1- No NCAA
2- No NCAA
3- NIT 2nd Round
4- NCAA 2nd Round
5- No NCAA
6- TBD

cardsNhogs

Will not make the dance this year so make it 1 in 6 for CMA. Terrible coach and needs fired at season's end.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 12, 2017, 07:39:53 am
I wasn't exactly against the hire, though he was not my preference. But even then, I didn't really expect to miss the postseason. I was thinking NIT first season (remember that we had Powell and Rotnei returning plus the great 2011 class). I expected to be in the NCAAT by Year 2. He has wildly underperformed by even the most modest of expectations.

The ACL injury to Powell set Mike back at the beginning. Then not landing Stokes. But from year 2 on, the only year he didn't understand achieve was year 4. Some would argue with Madden, Qualls, Portis, and Kingsley...that he did underachieve.

Mike will always underachieve here. He is content and lost his fire. He has his dream job and is no longer waking up every day fighting for something better. Fighting to prove someone wrong. Nolan had that everyday because of his life experience and race issues. Mike does not.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 09:58:33 pm

So...would you be okay with CBB making only 1 bowl game in his first 5 years?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 12, 2017, 08:13:28 am
If Mike is an outstanding basketball coach, than what are Heath and Pelphrey?

Stan Heath
1- No NCAA
2- No NCAA
3- No NCAA
4- NCAA 1st Round
5- NCAA 1st Round

John Pelphrey
1- NCAA 2nd Round
2- No NCAA
3- No NCAA
4- No NCAA

Mike Anderson