Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can you name me a coach

Started by jdunhog, January 11, 2017, 02:28:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 12, 2017, 10:30:57 am
Exactly this.  Until we start scheduling teams like we used to, our non-conference play is meaningless.

problem is scheduling tougher teams likely means that by the time the sec season starts they Hogs are pretty much out of the ncaat. Think about i, if they hit conf play with 3 or 4 losses, and even go 11-7 in  conf play, that still is about 19-11 for the season and the only way they make the ncaat with that is to win the sect.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

upperdeck_hawg

This sounds like the Mickelson, Madden class that was supposed to save John Pelphrey. Let's move on from a coach that cannot get it done.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

HogBreath

Quote from: jdunhog on January 11, 2017, 02:28:31 pm
that would have 8  4 star players committed to arkansas for the next three years. And we are 12-4 right now! I think new coach talk is a little premature!
Nick Saban
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

lunchbox72703

porkinsons disease

This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

East TN HAWG

I disagree to the firing the coach every four year crowd.  We've been doing it since Richardson, and it hasn't got us anywhere.  Keep doing the same failed process over and over is the definition of insanity.  We are not going to get anyone with a better resume than what Mike has. The MS State loss was very disappointing,  but not the end of the world. 

To say the recruits only commited because of Hog ties is not correct either.  James Anderson, Archie, Walton and Monk all had "ties.". I believe they commited because we now have an ace recruiter named Scotty Thurman.

RaisinHog

I do think you would loose alot of these kids if we fire him although if we do not make the tourny I still think you have too .. and I love mike but damn u gotta win .. I am still holding out hope we keep improving and make it

rzrbackramsfan

Who cares if they have Arkansas ties or whatever. It's the results that matter. Missouri hardly EVER gets their top 4 players to go to mizzou. So if they did get those players to go, it would be a big deal. It shouldn't be diminished by, oh they have Missouri ties.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: porkinsons disease on January 15, 2017, 09:50:25 am

You're probably one of d riding on howland too who couldn't win it with russel Westbrook, Kevin love and Darren collison

porkinsons disease

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 15, 2017, 10:50:40 am
You're probably one of d riding on howland too who couldn't win it with russel Westbrook, Kevin love and Darren collison
It's your ringleader FCJ's quote, not mine. Somehow it was appropriate in 2011, but not now? So if 6 years is not enough, will 8 be? 10 years? Lifetime contract? 6 years is a large sample size. Are we just hoping to catch Lightning in a bottle sometime?

hog.goblin

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 15, 2017, 10:19:45 am
I disagree to the firing the coach every four year crowd.  We've been doing it since Richardson, and it hasn't got us anywhere.  Keep doing the same failed process over and over is the definition of insanity.  We are not going to get anyone with a better resume than what Mike has. The MS State loss was very disappointing,  but not the end of the world. 

To say the recruits only commited because of Hog ties is not correct either.  James Anderson, Archie, Walton and Monk all had "ties.". I believe they commited because we now have an ace recruiter named Scotty Thurman.

I'm not advocating for a firing just yet, but it will be year 6, not year 4.  If I was AD I would require the NCAAT this year for him to keep his job.  If we won 23 or 24 games and got hosed I would likely give home another year.

realistichog

For the life of me I can't understand FCJ's optimism and love for MA's coaching. Does he not watch the damn games?

donbro

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 11, 2017, 02:32:35 pm
most of those players have Arkansas ties and likely are more committed to Arkansas than MA because they know coaches can be gone in a year
This statement  is total BS

donbro

Quote from: realistichog on January 15, 2017, 02:37:24 pm
For the life of me I can't understand FCJ's optimism and love for MA's coaching. Does he not watch the damn games?
With your coaching expertise you should be coaching the Duke Blue Devils instead of posting on this form

ballinhog

To answer the original question, I've wondered about a guy like Sam Mitchell. I don't think he's ever coached in college and has no ties to Arkansas or anyone here that I'm aware of but he's been NBA coach of the year at one time, and I think the Timberwolves may have jumped the gun by not giving him a chance this year. He's an uptempo type of coach offensively, and from what I know very demanding and hard nosed defensively.

He's been around the NBA for a long time and we all know most of these kids #1 goal is to reach the NBA. This guy knows the NBA game and knows what it takes to get there.

Now I'm not suggesting we fire Mike right now and hire Sam Mitchell. I'm only saying if Mike does get fired, I think he is a guy that's definitely worth a look. I think he's got all the makings of an excellent college coach. Maybe he keeps Scotty on staff to help keep the in state class together, maybe even bring Corliss in, I'm sure they've crossed paths a few times. And being that this is year 6, I don't think just making the tournament is enough for Mike this year, I think he needs to make it and win at least 1 game. This is year 6 it's time to show something

rljjr

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 07:17:50 pm
Keep dreaming. you fire Mike,you sit this program back years.keep right on fooling yourselves.

Like we would notice?

Slater

People are just not real big picture, I read on one thread someone wanted Richard Pitino (66-55 total at Minnesota and a sizzling 19-41 in Big 10 games) to replace Mike. Again be careful what you wish for people.
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: porkinsons disease on January 15, 2017, 11:01:19 am
It's your ringleader FCJ's quote, not mine. Somehow it was appropriate in 2011, but not now? So if 6 years is not enough, will 8 be? 10 years? Lifetime contract? 6 years is a large sample size. Are we just hoping to catch Lightning in a bottle sometime?

It sucks that we haven't been in the tourney like we wanted but he gets a pass year the first two years.  The third was close, fourth was a big winner, fifth was a disaster.  So it's more like he's made it 1 out of 3 and this year is looking close. 

But I honestly feel great about us in the coming years.  Since he's been here, he's ranked higher in the conference than he's recruited in the conference by about 2 spots.  So I expect us to finish between fourth or fifth in the conference this year, third next year, and first the next.

mjsphd

Still don't get the 2 year pass.  Most coaches, who take over for a fired coach, are taking over a program that is down and struggling.  Pelphrey was 18-13 (mediocre, but not awful) the year before.  He left a very highly rated recruiting class.  How was his situation worse than any other newly hired coach?

rzrbackramsfan

one decent recruiting class doesn't do it.  And it was one good class that came out of nowhere.  You need to at least give year 1 a pass for Marshawn going down.