Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can you name me a coach

Started by jdunhog, January 11, 2017, 02:28:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jdunhog

that would have 8  4 star players committed to arkansas for the next three years. And we are 12-4 right now! I think new coach talk is a little premature!

tophawg19

most of those players have Arkansas ties and likely are more committed to Arkansas than MA because they know coaches can be gone in a year
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

jdunhog

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 11, 2017, 02:32:35 pm
most of those players have Arkansas ties and likely are more committed to Arkansas than MA because they know coaches can be gone in a year
You can't guarantee that!

rhog1

Quote from: jdunhog on January 11, 2017, 02:33:42 pm
I am to the point that I am willing to risk it.

hogcam

Who cares if we keep them if we don't have a coach that can coach them up and teach them how to play defense and rebound.  Mike can underperform with top talent or we can make a change for a good coach that can coach up talent.

Knot2brite

If he goes to the NCAA tourney this year then he doesn't have to worry about it...it is all up to him and his players...win and go to the dance and a lot of people will give him some slack...lose and don't then they will pull the plug..
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

rhog1

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 11, 2017, 02:36:13 pm
If he goes to the NCAA tourney this year then he doesn't have to worry about it...it is all up to him and his players...win and go to the dance and a lot of people will give him some slack...lose and don't then they will pull the plug..
This exactly. I like Mike Anderson a lot but it is time to start winning or it is time to give someone else a try.

HF#1

You cannot lose at home, to Mississippi State, in this league, and still expect to make the tournament.  I would bet my house we do not make the tournament this season.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

The_Iceman

Name a 4-star recruit that committed to Mike Anderson that did not have Arkansas or family ties?

code red

Quote from: jdunhog on January 11, 2017, 02:33:42 pm
Can you guarantee it will be any better with MA and those players???  MA is hanging his hat on a couple good season at Mizzou...since then its been less than impressive.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hogcam

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2017, 02:42:50 pm
Name a 4-star recruit that committed to Mike Anderson that did not have Arkansas or family ties?
This. Terrible and lazy recruiter. Only way he gets anyone is if he's known them since they were a baby or they have ties to Arkansas.

jdunhog

Reggie Perry, Michael Qualls, Jaylen Barford, Arlando Cook! You make a good point but give him the time to get the 4 stars that are committed now!

hogcam

Quote from: jdunhog on January 11, 2017, 02:45:45 pm
Reggie Perry, Michael Qualls, Jaylen Barford, Arlando Cook! You make a good point but give him the time to get the 4 stars that are committed now!
Perry - ties to AR, plays with Arkansas Hawks and all starting 5 committed.
Barford - Good job by MA. 
Qualls - 3 star project that turned out great.
Cook- Decent player, but nothing special. Definitely not type of player to become a winning program.

Razorod

Perry has Arkansas ties and Qualls was definitely not a consensus four star recruit:http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/michael-qualls
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

jdunhog

It is a problem in football but name me a coach that is hireable that can bring in 8 of 8 4 stars at arkansas!

3kgthog

We aren't talking about losing a LeBron James or Malik Monk here.

I'm with the others that are willing to risk it by bringing in a better teacher of real basketball. A good coach would have the program on the way up in year two.

Knot2brite

Quote from: jdunhog on January 11, 2017, 02:51:32 pm
It is a problem in football but name me a coach that is hireable that can bring in 8 of 8 4 stars at arkansas!
For me it isn't the FACT that he has the recruits...it is what he does with them when they are here...we have had enough talent to at least make the tourney some of the time and we didn't...like I said..if he wins and goes to the dance then no problem...if he doesn't with the talent he has...good bye...the welfare mentality has to stop...on my job it is perform or fired...why shouldn't that be the same with his
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

hogwood

All of them have said that CMA & staff and the style of play they execute were big factors to their commitment. That said I think that the right coach could keep them loyal to Arkansas, but it is a risk.

hogwood

Barford and Cook are the only ones...

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: jdunhog on January 11, 2017, 02:28:31 pm
that would have 8  4 star players committed to arkansas for the next three years. And we are 12-4 right now! I think new coach talk is a little premature!

Can you name me a coach who has 1 NCAAT in 6 years
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

The_Iceman

Quote from: jdunhog on January 11, 2017, 02:45:45 pm

Like others have said, Perry has strong Arkansas ties as he used to live here. Qualls was a diamond in the rough and wasn't rated 4-stars. Barford and Cook were good gets, but they are both JUCOs. No high school 4-star or better recruit has committed to Mike Anderson without strong Arkansas or family ties.

I haven't gone back to Mizzou.

majp51

Err, of those 8, the 2  that are coming Next year still put Arkansas 6th behind MSU, BAMA, AU, A&M, and Kentucky.

All the rest of those commitments don't count because they aren't locked in stone yet. But even if we could, the reason why 2018 looks so good is because none of the current big boy recruiters have landed anyone yet.

But eight 4 star players in 3 years? t MSU will have 9 Four Star Players and 1 Five Star Player on their 2017-2018 roster.  Kentucky gets more 5 Star players in 2 years than CMA gets 4 star Players in 3. Alabama is Going to have about as many 4 and 5 Star players as CMA, And Auburn will also outdo him, A&M is on track for 9 in the same time frame.

So Basically CMA has upped his recruiting game 2016-2018, and it will still project him for 6th best talent in the SEC. Which means effectively he is recruiting enough talent to still not make the NCAA's unless  the SEC gets a lot more bids that it has in a while.

Atlhogfan1

January 11, 2017, 03:17:05 pm #22 Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:25:36 pm by Atlhogfan1
Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2017, 03:01:20 pm
Like others have said, Perry has strong Arkansas ties as he used to live here. Qualls was a diamond in the rough and wasn't rated 4-stars. Barford and Cook were good gets, but they are both JUCOs. No high school 4-star or better recruit has committed to Mike Anderson without strong Arkansas or family ties.

I haven't gone back to Mizzou.

This is where my apathy turns to a little anger and frustration.  Not directed towards you Ice.  The situation.  We knew before we hired him what his recruiting ability and m.o. had shown to be.  Yet some either wanted to ignore or downplay it or reach for some recruit as an example of how what you said isn't true.  We knew who we were getting but had to do it anyway.   >:(
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

LRrazorback

Unfortunately, different players same results.  If there's no big dance this year then it's time to find a new coach.

cardsNhogs

The games are played on  SEC Network if you wanna watch one.

Hogs958

1-3 in the SEC. Losing to legitimate teams, and not getting by with the cupcakes we played earlier in the season. Again I say 1-3 in the SEC.

Breems

Never put a recruiting class above the program, especially when they're in-state and thus more likely to hang around with the new guy.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

tophawg19

Quote from: jdunhog on January 11, 2017, 02:51:32 pm
Coach steve Wojo at Marquette sees your 8 in 3 and raises you a 5 star and 5 4 stars in just 2 years
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Jonteviosk

We lose to Mizz next starting to remind me of Pels 2nd year we started 12-1 including wins over 2 top 10 teams in a week and then went 2-14 in conf play.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

MountieDawg

If you don't fire him for the recruits he misses on, can you keep him only because he has recruits coming in... The incoming recruits come in ranked about the same place as Beard and Kingsley and they are 3 and 4 years in with a sharp shooter and 3 Top 10 Jucos and they are 1 - 3 in the SEC.
SEC!

regi

Scotty Thurman can keep the classes together. He is a big reason they got on board to begin with,

latrops

Quote from: hogwood on January 11, 2017, 02:55:50 pm
All of them have said that CMA & staff and the style of play they execute were big factors to their commitment. That said I think that the right coach could keep them loyal to Arkansas, but it is a risk.

Style of play?  I can't imagine how we play is that attractive.  IMO it is a big part of why guys like Monk and Allen went elsewhere.

Explain to me what about our system is uniquely attractive to recruits?

forrest city joe

Bingo! love your post.

forrest city joe

That is not true. fMike is fired,those recruits are gone in my opinion.Fitz Hill told me when i talked to him on DTS. that Justice was coming to Arkansas because of coach Anderson.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 11, 2017, 02:36:13 pm
And how do you know they will pull the plug? have you talked to Jeff Long?fact is you or i don't know what Jeff Long will do.

forrest city joe

Jaylon Barford.any more questions.

forrest city joe

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 11, 2017, 02:52:16 pm
We aren't talking about losing a LeBron James or Malik Monk here.

I'm with the others that are willing to risk it by bringing in a better teacher of real basketball. A good coach would have the program on the way up in year two.
Keep dreaming. you fire Mike,you sit this program back years.keep right on fooling yourselves.

majp51

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 07:10:32 pm
That is not true. fMike is fired,those recruits are gone in my opinion.Fitz Hill told me when i talked to him on DTS. that Justice was coming to Arkansas because of coach Anderson.

Nice opinion, the fact though is not even the kids know what they would do if CMA was fired. It would all depend on who was hired. Not saying they would for sure stay, but unless  CMA is actually cheating with recruiting these next few classes, there is just no way anyone could say they wouldn't play here either. And I know you are a die hard supporter, but I would like to think everyone on this board , including FCJ, would support his firing if he was cheating in recruiting.

Biggus Piggus

That is for sure - you don't go firing anybody without a great replacement plan.
[CENSORED]!

jdunhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 07:17:50 pm
Keep dreaming. you fire Mike,you sit this program back years.keep right on fooling yourselves.
Joe, We have alot of fair weather fans! I'm a Mike man i just wish he would he would back off the press if it is not working and Have at least 3 scorers in the game at a time!

bhogs05

If he is cheating in recruiting then he is about as good at cheating as he is coaching

dsims2k3

You cannot have it both ways. Either the players  come because of the coach or the university recruits itself.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

rude1

Here is another concern IMO that must be entered into the equation. Mike has stunk at recruiting since he got here, he is now trying to ride a wave of in-state recruits to save his job. These things are cyclical, so what happens after this wave of good in-state talent dries up?  We are right back where we started is where we are, a coach who can't recruit outside his borders except for transfers and jucos, other than his vaunted 2 and 3* projects.

cardsNhogs

not 1 good quality win out of the 12. 12-4 means nothing if you have only played 3 good teams and lost all 3.

cardsNhogs

We can't keep a bad Coach because of kids coming 2018 and 2019. Justice Hill isn't even ranked top 100 as of right now and IMO Isaac McBride may be the one to offer out of the 2019 Arkansas kids.

majp51

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 07:17:50 pm

FCJ< we just could not half fill BUD WAlton Arena for a prime time Conference game and we only been to the NCAA 1 time over the past 5, possibly 6, years. ABout the only way we could set the program any further back would be if we self imposed the death penalty on the program

rude1

It's as simple as there just comes a time when there are no more chances, when all the opportunities have been exhausted, when the promises just haven't been met, and ultimately, when it is time to move on. No NCAA this year, we have reached that point and I don't care anything about his 6th rated SEC class he has lined up.

WorfHog

Quote from: rude1 on January 11, 2017, 08:19:50 pm
It's as simple as there just comes a time when there are no more chances, when all the opportunities have been exhausted, when the promises just haven't been met, and ultimately, when it is time to move on. No NCAA this year, we have reached that point and I don't care anything about his 6th rated SEC class he has lined up.

According to fcj the #Fastest40 is going to get even fasterer next year. Just wait...

Sivad

Fitz Hill told me when i talked to him on DTS. that Justice was coming to Arkansas because of coach Anderson.
So Justice Hill cares not a twit about the Razorbacks? Just Mike Anderson?
If that's true...

rude1

Quote from: WorfHog on January 11, 2017, 08:22:40 pm
According to fcj the #Fastest40 is going to get even fasterer next year. Just wait...
No NCAA this year, I want to see how fast they can get off the campus and how fast we can get a good staff in here to replace them.