Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Players Returning in 2018-2019 vs. Kentucky

Started by The_Iceman, February 21, 2018, 10:12:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Of the players that played last night against Kentucky, only 4 are coming back next year. Here is their production:

Darious Hall: 17 minutes, 0-3 shooting, 0 points

CJ Jones: 9 minutes, 0-4 shooting, 0 points

Gabe Osabuohien: 10 minutes, 1-2 shooting, 2 points

Daniel Gafford: 23 minutes, 2-6 shooting, 9 points, 5 rebs and 4 blks. (Possibly Not Returning)

It is going to be a rough year next year. We are not even a lock for the NCAA Tournament this year yet. We could still choke like we did in 2014. The future of this program is on very shaky ground.

razorback1829

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 21, 2018, 10:12:05 am
Of the players that played last night against Kentucky, only 4 are coming back next year. Here is their production:

Daniel Gafford: 23 minutes, 2-6 shooting, 9 points, 5 rebs and 4 blks. (Possibly Not Returning)

It is going to be a rough year next year. We are not even a lock for the NCAA Tournament this year yet. We could still choke like we did in 2014. The future of this program is on very shaky ground.

7-8 newcomers, mostly freshman, we definitely are gonna take our lumps anyway. You expected to be a contender next year?? Lol man you are lost. You know nothing about the game.

The_Iceman

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 21, 2018, 10:13:46 am
7-8 newcomers, mostly freshman, we definitely are gonna take our lumps anyway. You expected to be a contender next year?? Lol man you are lost. You know nothing about the game.

No, but you buy yourself a rebuilding year when you do well the year before. Mike isn't going to have any equity if he misses the NCAA Tournament this year. And that is still a very strong possibility.

txkhog

In CMA upcoming 8th year why should we not expect a contender? Good programs contend every year.

RazorWest

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 21, 2018, 10:14:59 am
No, but you buy yourself a rebuilding year when you do well the year before. Mike isn't going to have any equity if he misses the NCAA Tournament this year. And that is still a very strong possibility.

Exactly, Same thing happened with Coach B in football.  He didn't win enough in the previous years to get a pass for rebuilding this year and it cost him his job. 

razorback1829

No he's not in danger of missing the tournament. You might as well count it now.

Kevin

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 21, 2018, 10:18:16 am
No he's not in danger of missing the tournament. You might as well count it now.

probable no
danger yes
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

redleg

Arkansas will not have enough size to have a good season next year, especially if Gafford leaves early.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

The_Iceman

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 21, 2018, 10:18:16 am

You are living in some other reality if you think we aren't in danger of missing it. We have 3 games left, 2 on the road, and then the SEC Tournament. Our players are wearing down because we don't have the depth to run Mike's "system."

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 21, 2018, 10:12:05 am

Freshmen got killed last night. I think it was a good wake-up call for them. They got some real good minutes against inferior teams, and then last night against a really good team, they were helpless. That was definitely a lesson for them in their development. I think Hall and Osabuohien are going to be real good. If Gafford comes back, that's a solid group of sophomores. Side note: Please come back, Daniel.
Let's be real, though, projections say we're like 80% going to make the tournament, so I'm not terribly concerned. Don't lose the next 4 and we're most likely in.
I'm not assuming we're going to suck next year, because there will be a lot of talent on the roster, but I suspect we're going to have a couple of bad losses non-conference that will require a really strong conference showing.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

bhogs05

Next year is going to be rough..the fact is we SHOULD have been a contender this year with all the seniors and Gafford.  If Gafford leaves early we will be totally screwed and Mike will have no plan to replace him. 

Hogz87

Quote from: txkhog on February 21, 2018, 10:16:56 am
In CMA upcoming 8th year why should we not expect a contender? Good programs contend every year.
One barely-above-.500 season in year a coach's eighth season where we take some lumps and miss the NCAA Tournament would definitely be semi-acceptable if Mike had made the tournament more than two (possibly three) times in his first seven seasons.

I wouldn't love it in the moment, but I'd still accept a year where we return very little production and bring in 5+ newcomers to end in an NIT bid if in Mike's first seven seasons we had been to 4-5 NCAA Tournaments and past the first weekend once.

HawgTrough

missing the tournament is a possibility, but far from very strong possibility
WPS

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: RazorWest on February 21, 2018, 10:17:54 am
Exactly, Same thing happened with Coach B in football.  He didn't win enough in the previous years to get a pass for rebuilding this year and it cost him his job. 
I'm unhappy with the level of success as well, but the biggest reason I wanted Coach B gone is that there was no hope for improvement. With 2018's class, MA will have had 3 solid classes in a row, albeit 2016 was full of JUCOs. I think there is reason for optimism with the future of this program because the talent level is improving. That was not the case with football.

hogsanity

Quote from: txkhog on February 21, 2018, 10:16:56 am

Cause , you know, ummm, Nolan err I mean Mike
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

razorback1829

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 21, 2018, 10:20:50 am
You are living in some other reality if you think we aren't in danger of missing it. We have 3 games left, 2 on the road, and then the SEC Tournament. Our players are wearing down because we don't have the depth to run Mike's "system."

We just came off a 4 game winning streak in which we won by double digits. A loss was probable. And we lost to Kentucky, not Ole Miss.  But we will regroup and be ready for our next game, and the games after that. All this whining is moot at this point. We will be in the tournament, and hopefully this will be the year to make real damage. But we are still in the crux of what will end up a good season.

Atlhogfan1

Too much could happen in offseason to know.

Positives:
-Gafford may stay - may not be a positive for him IMO if he is a projected mid first round pick

-Could get a grad transfer who will consistently contribute

-Hall and Jones could take a big leap in their development

-The PG transfer has improved and is ready to contribute

-Garland is cleared

Negatives which could happen:
-Gafford leaves

-Potential returnee transfers - college basketball is so transient now it is hard not to expect someone to leave

-Garland not cleared

-No grad tr frontcourt player wants to play in this system leaving no added help for Gafford leaving

We won't get an idea for next season for a while.  Hold out hope this one ends well. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on February 21, 2018, 10:24:27 am
I think there is reason for optimism with the future of this program because the talent level is improving.

Yet they keep having the same ho hum seasons. At some point better talent has to equate to better than 20 wins and being a 9 or 10 seed in the ncaat.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

razorback1829

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 21, 2018, 10:25:40 am
Too much could happen in offseason to know.

Positives:
-Gafford may stay - may not be a positive for him IMO if he is a projected mid first round pick

-Could get a grad transfer who will consistently contribute

-Hall and Jones could take a big leap in their development

-The PG transfer has improved and is ready to contribute

-Garland is cleared

Negatives which could happen:
-Gafford leaves

-Potential returnee transfers - college basketball is so transient now it is hard not to expect someone to leave

-Garland not cleared

-No grad tr frontcourt player wants to play in this system leaving no added help for Gafford leaving

We won't get an idea for next season for a while.  Hold out hope this one ends well.

We will be fine. We'll get what we need, or work with what we get.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: Hogz87 on February 21, 2018, 10:22:48 am
One barely-above-.500 season in year a coach's eighth season where we take some lumps and miss the NCAA Tournament would definitely be semi-acceptable if Mike had made the tournament more than two (possibly three) times in his first seven seasons.

I wouldn't love it in the moment, but I'd still accept a year where we return very little production and bring in 5+ newcomers to end in an NIT bid if in Mike's first seven seasons we had been to 4-5 NCAA Tournaments and past the first weekend once.
I think that's a reasonable comment. It's not ideal but it would be 3 in 4 years. 3 in 4 sounds good; 3 in 7 sounds bad. The way you frame it changes everything. I'm okay with NIT next year as long as the team looks good heading into 2019. Collapse this year, though, would make that awfully hard to stomach.

Kevin

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on February 21, 2018, 10:24:27 am
I'm unhappy with the level of success as well, but the biggest reason I wanted Coach B gone is that there was no hope for improvement. With 2018's class, MA will have had 3 solid classes in a row, albeit 2016 was full of JUCOs. I think there is reason for optimism with the future of this program because the talent level is improving. That was not the case with football.

this years team has no true point guard. next year's team will lack quality depth at bigs.
roster management is also an issue.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

razorback1829

Quote from: Kevin on February 21, 2018, 10:27:50 am
this years team has no true point guard. next year's team will lack quality depth at bigs.

Name one team in the nation that just has it all please.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Kevin on February 21, 2018, 10:27:50 am

Has become Mike's biggest issue.  Not so much building teams but taking what is available willing to come and plugging holes best as possible in reaction to players leaving. 

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 21, 2018, 10:27:15 am
work with what we get.

Not a good option. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

razorback1829

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 21, 2018, 10:31:32 am
Has become Mike's biggest issue.  Not so much building teams but taking what is available willing to come and plugging holes best as possible in reaction to players leaving. 

Not a good option.

I just have an idea that the coaches have more people on their recruiting radar than you do. And you have to wait for grad transfers anyways, so just enjoy the ride. It's crazy all of sudden MA can't recruit when he goes and signs a hell of a class already. You think he's just sitting on his damn hands dude? lol y'all aren't as smart as you think you are.

Mo_Better_Hogs

I still don't know what to think about the Tournament. But I agree with the how we'll look at this year vs next year. Next year will clearly be down, which is why it's critical we do something THIS year.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on February 21, 2018, 10:39:03 am
I still don't know what to think about the Tournament. But I agree with the how we'll look at this year vs next year. Next year will clearly be down, which is why it's critical we do something THIS year.

You can't sell a rebuilding year after and NIT year. Because what in the hell are you rebuilding back to?

cram224

Quote from: redleg on February 21, 2018, 10:20:13 am
Arkansas will not have enough size to have a good season next year, especially if Gafford leaves early.
Who are we recruiting to give us size year after next?

The_Iceman

Quote from: cram224 on February 21, 2018, 10:57:11 am
Who are we recruiting to give us size year after next?

No one. More guards and undersized 4's.

1highhog

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 21, 2018, 10:13:46 am

I know that in year 8 we shouldn't have to be taking our lumps as you say, we're not going to contend every year in the SEC, those days are long gone and this program has fallen to far.  But here Mike is in his 7th year with a senior lead team and still we're not contending for a SEC title, something is wrong there my friend.

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 21, 2018, 10:31:32 am

Not a good option. 

What is funny is some will say " Well Nolan never had a PG either " Yea well, Mayberry and Beck say hello.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on February 21, 2018, 11:08:44 am
What is funny is some will say " Well Nolan never had a PG either " Yea well, Mayberry and Beck say hello.

Kareem

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 21, 2018, 11:08:44 am

Mayberry was that unique guy who excelled either at PG or SG, depending on what the situation required. 

Man, I miss that guy....
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

razorback1829

Quote from: 1highhog on February 21, 2018, 11:05:07 am
I know that in year 8 we shouldn't have to be taking our lumps as you say, we're not going to contend every year in the SEC, those days are long gone and this program has fallen to far.  But here Mike is in his 7th year with a senior lead team and still we're not contending for a SEC title, something is wrong there my friend.

Young talented team that needs time to gel, surely doesn't happen to other coaches years into their career. lol you know nothing.

hogsanity

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 21, 2018, 11:50:50 am
Mayberry was that unique guy who excelled either at PG or SG, depending on what the situation required. 

Man, I miss that guy....

He was a PG that could shoot.

1highhog

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 21, 2018, 11:54:23 am
Young talented team that needs time to gel, surely doesn't happen to other coaches years into their career. lol you know nothing.

I know more than you do, lol.  What SEC school has held on to their coach as Arkansas has held onto Anderson, with only 2 trips to the Tournament?  While other schools in the SEC continue to try and improve their basketball programs, we're still stuck with Mike who struggles in recruiting, in game adjustments, and a coaching philosophy/style that no longer works.

LumberBacks

Master Plan ... sign the big class, CMA will not make the NIT, he gone, keep players, get X's and O's coach.

steveaustin69

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 21, 2018, 10:28:34 am
Name one team in the nation that just has it all please.

Your dismissal of every single point is laughable. You can still think Mike is the right coach, and admit he has had his fair share of shortcomings.

steveaustin69

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 21, 2018, 10:35:28 am
I just have an idea that the coaches have more people on their recruiting radar than you do. And you have to wait for grad transfers anyways, so just enjoy the ride. It's crazy all of sudden MA can't recruit when he goes and signs a hell of a class already. You think he's just sitting on his damn hands dude? lol y'all aren't as smart as you think you are.

We are currently sitting at 6th in the SEC for 2018 recruiting rankings which is inflated by having 6 commits. Vanderbilt, yes Vandy, has two five star commits.  How many do we have? You're not as smart as you think you are.

Tigaman

Quote from: 1highhog on February 21, 2018, 05:36:03 pm
I know more than you do, lol.  What SEC school has held on to their coach as Arkansas has held onto Anderson, with only 2 trips to the Tournament?  While other schools in the SEC continue to try and improve their basketball programs, we're still stuck with Mike who struggles in recruiting, in game adjustments, and a coaching philosophy/style that no longer works.

Ole Miss held on to Andy Kennedy for 12 years for 2 NCAA appearances and he had some off the field issues. However, Ole Miss doesn't have near the history and doesn't really care about basketball. Outside of Ole Miss there isn't a team in the SEC that would keep him with 2 NCAA appearances in 7 years.