Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long is out

Started by OtterHog, November 15, 2017, 08:13:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HotlantaHog

If true -- and I am not a Long supporter -- it could be a barrier to hiring a top football coach. Most coaches would want to know who the AD is going to be before moving.

TrueBlue

Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 15, 2017, 08:42:08 am
If true -- and I am not a Long supporter -- it could be a barrier to hiring a top football coach. Most coaches would want to know who the AD is going to be before moving.

No worries. They already have their "short list" for replacements for AD, you can bank on that.

MissippHog

Maybe Long was the "barrier" to hiring another football coach?

The NewEra

Quote from: BigK_HogHeaven on November 15, 2017, 08:36:17 am
If it's that much of a problem wouldn't that be cause for termination without a buyout?

I'm no lawyer, but my interpretation of a moral clause would include any conduct regarding the use of alcohol where a employee was drunk in his office, around his players, etc., etc., would become a breach of that contract.  If an alcohol dependency issue were to be the case then it's unlikely a coach would want that to come out and they would be willing to negotiate down significantly their buyout so as not to defend that in the public eye.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: TrueBlue on November 15, 2017, 08:43:40 am
No worries. They already have their "short list" for replacements for AD, you can bank on that.
Exactly. If this is true it wasn't just sprung on them.

(notOM)Rebel123

If it is true that JL packed up his office, it should be pretty easy to find out.
Surely someone else in the athletic department has shown up for work already and just happened to walk by his office. Just knock on the door and if nobody answers, just sneak a peek....and then, of course, post an update on HV.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hogman_33

Would love if this is true. But wasn't he at the Playoff Rankings last night?

PorkRinds

No way in hell Long packs up his own office. Fake news.

The Hawg Marshal

If it's true, it won't take Long for it to get out.

hawgon

Quote from: Hogman_33 on November 15, 2017, 08:47:12 am

You don't think that Jeffry Augustus would deign to personally pack his office do you?

OtterHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 15, 2017, 08:47:35 am
No way in hell Long packs up his own office. Fake news.

Which is why this certain person was there. Like I said, I'll take the heat if false.

RME

Sad thing when grown men throw around more unsubstantiated gossip than small-town church women.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Hogman_33 on November 15, 2017, 08:47:12 am

The committee met Monday & Tuesday. He may not have been there when the ranking were released. He may have been on the plane home....cue ricepig with his plane tracking moxy. STAT

lakecityhog

Quote from: OtterHog™ on November 15, 2017, 08:19:06 am
Although not shocking, I was also told Bret currently has an alcohol problem that would drop the jaw of even his biggest detractor. This would be as much of a reason for his demise as any win-loss record.

These are the kind of things that truly piss-me-off more than anything! Why is it that we can have a coach for 2-5-8 years and this kind of stuff is swept under the rug? Yet, when it looks like he is gone it all starts to come out. If this stuff were made public as it happened maybe these guys would exert a little more self control.

Maybe if people had talked publicly more about Petrino being such a jerk the admins would have tried to control him a bit more. You know now that we all hear the Cotton Bowl ban type of crap. Maybe, just maybe if his bosses told him to clean up his act or THEY would make it public and can him he might have at least tried to be more civil.
And maybe he wouldn't have felt so bullet proof as to ride around with his mistress, hell, maybe he would never have gotten a mistress!

Could BB have been a decent coach if he wasn't a functioning alcoholic? Maybe if his boss tried to deal with that problem we wouldn't be such a laughing stock program. Plus, it is just the right thing to do for another human being. How many of us knowing that a friend had such a problem wouldn't even at least try to talk to them about it???

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 15, 2017, 08:49:01 am
Sad thing when grown men throw around more unsubstantiated gossip than small-town church women.

"Barney Fife shot himself in the chest."

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: OtterHog™ on November 15, 2017, 08:48:31 am
Which is why this certain person was there. Like I said, I'll take the heat if false.

So your source is the packer?  That would be a reliable source...unless the packing is for office renovations.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

onebadrubi

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 15, 2017, 08:49:17 am
The committee met Monday & Tuesday. He may not have been there when the ranking were released. He may have been on the plane home....due ricepig with his plane tracking most. STAT

There was a live shot of the room during the Duke/MICH st game.  Long was literally right in front of the camera, this was around 9pm est. 

I assume he has a private flight back home immediately after the meeting but still. 

southarkhog06

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 15, 2017, 08:49:42 am
These are the kind of things that truly piss-me-off more than anything! Why is it that we can have a coach for 2-5-8 years and this kind of stuff is swept under the rug? Yet, when it looks like he is gone it all starts to come out. If this stuff were made public as it happened maybe these guys would exert a little more self control.

Maybe if people had talked publicly more about Petrino being such a jerk the admins would have tried to control him a bit more. You know now that we all hear the Cotton Bowl ban type of crap. Maybe, just maybe if his bosses told him to clean up his act or THEY would make it public and can him he might have at least tried to be more civil.
And maybe he wouldn't have felt so bullet proof as to ride around with his mistress, hell, maybe he would never have gotten a mistress!

Could BB have been a decent coach if he wasn't a functioning alcoholic? Maybe if his boss tried to deal with that problem we wouldn't be such a laughing stock program. Plus, it is just the right thing to do for another human being. How many of us knowing that a friend had such a problem wouldn't even at least try to talk to them about it???
This is a very good post. +1 to you sir.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 15, 2017, 08:51:05 am
There was a live shot of the room during the Duke/MICH st game.  Long was literally right in front of the camera, this was around 9pm est. 

I assume he has a private flight back home immediately after the meeting but still. 

👍

OtterHog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 15, 2017, 08:51:01 am
So your source is the packer?  That would be a reliable source...unless the packing is for office renovations.

Wasn't just told he was packing, was told he was done.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 15, 2017, 08:14:20 am
If you are full of crap somebody really oughta whoop your ass.

That's how you modulate a forum ladies and gents. This fellow must be a Clinton School of Head Knocks graduate.

Classic lesson 1 ploy:
Don't threaten said a-hole directly.
Send perfectly telegraphed statement and when said ass whooping is delivered find out who did it.
Call them crazy.
Bant them and know that you just got OtterHog™'s undivided attention...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OtterHog

While I understand your sentiment, I have no reason to start crap like this. I don't troll during coaching/regime changes. Never have. But carry on.

tusksincolorado

All because we prefer Diet Coke instead of Pepsi with our "wickey"!.....funny  8) ;)
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Dirty

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 15, 2017, 08:51:05 am

Maybe he thought, ""I'm in no hurry...what do I have to get back for?"😀

Ex-Trumpet

The stories of Petrino being a dick were certainly out there when they happened, especially the Cotton Bowl crap.  Some just chose to ignore or trash those that said it because he was winning.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hawgon

Beyond what I've heard from a few people who have seen him out, I've no personal knowledge of his drinking.  But I will say the otherwise unexplained complete disintegration of this team and his apparent professional career is completely consistent with alcoholism.  I've never been a Bielema fan and I've never liked him as a coach, but he isn't THIS BAD of a coach.  SOMETHING  beyond football is going on behind the scenes.  The alcohol rumors make more sense than most other explanations.

rhames

Quote from: OtterHog™ on November 15, 2017, 08:52:35 am
While I understand your sentiment, I have no reason to start crap like this. I don't troll during coaching/regime changes. Never have. But carry on.

I have little doubt someone told you this.

The motivations of people "leaking" info is what I question

I suppose we will know within the hour if he already packed his office.

I think not having an AD will lead us to a Pelphrey type hire.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

RME

Quote from: OtterHog™ on November 15, 2017, 08:52:35 am

Forgive me for:

1. Not buying a speculative word from anyone (save for a select few) on an anonymous message board.
2. Not buying the words of someone who posts almost exclusively in the Tavern.
3. Bringing the Tavern into this discussion, because I lurk in there quite a bit and some of it is pretty hilarious.

MissippHog

Otter, did you post this on Twitter too?  If not, someone else posted practically the same thing this morning roughly the same time you posted. 

Tusks

Ding fricken ding.  I yelled this from the mountain top.  If the coach is being a jerk to the bowl officials then the fricken AD needs to step in an tell him NO.  if you're the boss then BE THE FRICKEN BOSS.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: hawgon on November 15, 2017, 08:54:28 am
Beyond what I've heard from a few people who have seen him out, I've no personal knowledge of his drinking.  But I will say the otherwise unexplained complete disintegration of this team and his apparent professional career is completely consistent with alcoholism.  I've never been a Bielema fan and I've never liked him as a coach, but he isn't THIS BAD of a coach.  SOMETHING  beyond football is going on behind the scenes.  The alcohol rumors make more sense than most other explanations.

You have expressed my thoughts exactly.  He wasn't this bad of a coach when he was hired.  Something caused such a downward spiral.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: MissippHog on November 15, 2017, 08:34:52 am
Dang man, I hope you're right.  Not because I care if Long stays or goes, but you're going to catch nine kinds of hell if you're wrong.

Not to mention two or 3 pretty good ass whoopings if I read correctly...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

RME

LRrazorback

Some rumblings going on in the athletic department today and Wally and other reporters are on it.
Just passing it along

EastexHawg

Don't you think anyone who has ascended to the point of being able to influence the termination of an Arkansas athletic director might have enough business sense to look before he leaps?  "Dang, Joe, I didn't realize that if we fire Long we're going to have to find his replacement."

MissippHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 15, 2017, 08:57:41 am
Nvm. Forget it.
Hahaha, nice edit.  Too early in the morning to go down that road?

DoubleReedHawgCaller

A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

OtterHog

Quote from: MissippHog on November 15, 2017, 08:56:24 am
Otter, did you post this on Twitter too?  If not, someone else posted practically the same thing this morning roughly the same time you posted. 

I did not.

The OTR

Boys I'm gonna vouch for Otter. He's good people. 

If he says it, it might very well be true. Might be a whopper. But one thing I know about Otter:

OTTER DON'T LIE!

So if he said it he believes it. 

OtterHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 15, 2017, 08:56:11 am
Forgive me for:

1. Not buying a speculative word from anyone (save for a select few) on an anonymous message board.
2. Not buying the words of someone who posts almost exclusively in the Tavern.
3. Bringing the Tavern into this discussion, because I lurk in there quite a bit and some of it is pretty hilarious.

I completely understand. I don't take it personally at all.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on November 15, 2017, 08:56:56 am
You have expressed my thoughts exactly.  He wasn't this bad of a coach when he was hired.  Something caused such a downward spiral.

I think he was exactly this bad. He just ain't a good coach.

PRJ

EastexHawg

You're going to go down with the ship, aren't you?

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Dirty

Maybe coach hooked CK up with a few or he took from him off the plane from Baton Rouge

RME

Quote from: MissippHog on November 15, 2017, 08:59:19 am
Hahaha, nice edit.  Too early in the morning to go down that road?

Haha, pretty much. "Some men you just can't reach."

PharmacistHog

Maybe he is releasing an arkansas/mississippi trophy just in time for the game against miss state.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

The OTR

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on November 15, 2017, 08:56:56 am

He doesn't look like someone with a problem. I mean his appearance hasn't changed that much. 

Dirty

hawgon

I wanted to post the same thing more or less the other day.  EVERYONE would be much better off if the media and the athletic department was t a minaturized version of Soviet Russia.