Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Don't Hire Another Mediocre Coach

Started by RazorbackAlways, September 19, 2017, 04:02:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 20, 2017, 08:35:58 am
Jeff Long made a great hire. It hasn't panned out. Can't blame Long for that. He went out and got the best possible coach.

And that happens in all professions. Corporate world sees it all the time. Guy runs business A, and it does great, so business B goes and hires him away and they do not do as well. Happens in pro sports with free agents. Guy tears it up for team A so team B pays big bucks to get him and for whatever reason he does not perform.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PonderinHog

Quote from: Foshodo on September 20, 2017, 04:44:56 am
even in the first year or two when it was rough with Petrino you could still see what he was doing. you could tell he had the ability and that his "style" worked, even when we lost. remember that game Mallett kept going back and forth with that Ginger from Georgia? that game was amazing even as a loss...

I cant say the same for BB. it's just boring and i see no edge that he has...
Remember Franklin getting ejected for bumping into a ref early in that game?  That really hurt our chances.

Razorbackers

Quote from: RazorbackAlways on September 19, 2017, 04:02:34 pm
Lets be real here. Bret Bielema wasnt a good choice. He was/is a mediocre coach who thought he could play ball with the big boys. Hence, his letter to Jeffrey. Let me remind you of the SEC landscape during the Bobby F'in Petrino era.

Alabama - Nick Saban
LSU - Les Miles
Florida - Urban Meyer
South Carolina - Steve Spurrier
Georgia - Mark Richt

Bobby F'in Petrino's name could be mentioned along side these greats. Even the media gave him credit, something that Arkansas has almost never been able to pull off. Though CBFP was an honorable mention, his name was mentioned! Arkansas was up there.

Lets do ourselves a favor. Get another big F'in name in here. Otherwise, its going to be 5 more years of mediocre bull@#%@. Lets play to win.

Never beat Saban
Never beat Meyer

And if you're going to include 3 sec east opponents on that list you should include the other coaches in the west and A&M at the time.

Chizik
TCTWF
Mullen pre-dak
TAMU had Sherman during CBP's time.

I can tell you right now, if/when we hire a new coach, he won't have a resume like Bret Bielema did when he came here. 3 BCS games, heisman finalists, and coaching awards and recognition for his time as a DC and a HC.

If the Bret Bielema expirement doesn't work out, then that's too bad. But it won't be because we hired a "mediocre" coach. We made an excellent hire, and this is a tough job.

hogsanity

Quote from: Foshodo on September 20, 2017, 04:44:56 am
even in the first year or two when it was rough with Petrino you could still see what he was doing. you could tell he had the ability and that his "style" worked, even when we lost. remember that game Mallett kept going back and forth with that Ginger from Georgia? that game was amazing even as a loss...

I cant say the same for BB. it's just boring and i see no edge that he has...

Yea the ole miss games the last 2 seasons have been boring. The Fl game last year was boring. The MSU games have been boring.

Why am I not surprised though, our fans wanted to run Hatfield off because he was boring too, only had 3 10 win seasons & the best win% of any Ar HC ever.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Redhogs

Quote from: RazorbackAlways on September 19, 2017, 04:36:10 pm
When Petrino was hired, you just knew. You just knew. I cant explain it, but you just knew.

I want to have that kind of confidence again.
Exactly.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Razorbackers

Quote from: RazorbackAlways on September 19, 2017, 04:36:10 pm
When Petrino was hired, you just knew. You just knew. I cant explain it, but you just knew.

I want to have that kind of confidence again.

Everyone from Kentucky and Georgia also told us he would hurt our program in the long run.

They knew, too.

I'm confident he'll do it to Louisville AGAIN as well.

Redhogs

Quote from: a0ashle on September 19, 2017, 11:22:42 pm
If we start playing the "up and comer" sweepstakes it's gonna bury our program into irrelevance. It's a dangerous game for a team/school in our position.
We are already there..no? A worse SEC than Vandy over the past 5 years and playing in Jerry World at 11 AM pretty much confirm that.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Redhogs on September 20, 2017, 08:56:26 am
We are already there..no? A worse SEC than Vandy over the past 5 years and playing in Jerry World at 11 AM pretty much confirm that.

Ask the folks in Lawrence what happens when you lose the up and comer sweepstakes.

Redhogs

Quote from: Razorbackers on September 20, 2017, 08:46:52 am
Never beat Saban
Never beat Meyer

And if you're going to include 3 sec east opponents on that list you should include the other coaches in the west and A&M at the time.

Chizik
TCTWF
Mullen pre-dak

I can tell you right now, if/when we hire a new coach, he won't have a resume like Bret Bielema did when he came here. 3 BCS games, heisman finalists, and coaching awards and recognition for his time as a DC and a HC.

If the Bret Bielema expirement doesn't work out, then that's too bad. But it won't be because we hired a "mediocre" coach. We made an excellent hire, and this is a tough job.
Excellent hires do not have 5 year records at one school like BB..they just don't. He may just be a bad fit, but nothing he has done on the football field here has been "excellent".

Redhogs

Quote from: Razorbackers on September 20, 2017, 08:59:31 am
Ask the folks in Lawrence what happens when you lose the up and comer sweepstakes.
Lawrence...really?? I could ask Utah how Meyer worked out too...your point? Every situation is different.

hogsanity

Petrino played A&M in Jerry World at 11am in 2011, a season where they ended up winning 11 I believe, so how did that game time reflect on him as a coach?

Redhogs

Quote from: hogsanity on September 20, 2017, 09:06:30 am
Petrino played A&M in Jerry World at 11am in 2011, a season where they ended up winning 11 I believe, so how did that game time reflect on him as a coach?
You know exactly what it means, but keep on keeping on.

hogsanity

Quote from: Redhogs on September 20, 2017, 09:09:27 am

What did it mean that the 2011 team played at 11am in JErry World?

GunnerHawg70

Whelp, at least I can look fwd to a noon game complete with early morning adult beverages (12pEST kickoff for me) and have the rest of the day to sober up for kick off for the late games  ;)

EastexHawg

Quote from: Redhogs on September 20, 2017, 09:09:27 am

For someone who has posted on not one but two Razorback football message boards over the last 12-15 years, he has an odd agenda...or at least an odd way of looking at things.  He defended Houston Nutt to the very end, in the face of all of us who had been saying for years that we could do better.  We hired Petrino and those of us who said we could be a better football team with outstanding coaching were proven right.

He rips Petrino at every turn, but now he spends most of his football critiquing time defending Long and Bielema and their job performances.  If you didn't know better, you would think he enjoys poor to mediocre football more than winning.

Personally I think it all goes back to his Nutt-edifying days, still unwilling to admit that he was wrong and the rest of us were right about The Moron holding the program back for a decade while he pretended to be an SEC football coach.

WilsonHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 20, 2017, 09:26:25 am
For someone who has posted on not one but two Razorback football message boards over the last 12-15 years, he has an odd agenda...or at least an odd way of looking at things.  He defended Houston Nutt to the very end, in the face of all of us who had been saying for years that we could do better.  We hired Petrino and those of us who said we could be a better football team with outstanding coaching were proven right.

He rips Petrino at every turn, but now he spends most of his football critiquing time defending Long and Bielema and their job performances.  If you didn't know better, you would think he enjoys poor to mediocre football more than winning.

Personally I think it all goes back to his Nutt-edifying days, still unwilling to admit that he was wrong and the rest of us were right about The Moron holding the program back for a decade while he pretended to be an SEC football coach.

My personal opinion is that his name says it all. Let me bring some "sanity" to all of you who take this so seriously by being a contrarian.

jkstock04

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 20, 2017, 09:26:25 am

What's scary is that Houston Nutt is going to go down heads and shoulders better of a coach than Bielema...at Arkansas that is. Let that sink in.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Razorbackers

Quote from: Redhogs on September 20, 2017, 09:02:16 am
Lawrence...really?? I could ask Utah how Meyer worked out too...your point? Every situation is different.

My point is that every situation is different, and you should probably instead ask Florida how Meyer worked out since he made his name at Utah, but I get your point.

But you also used a once in a generation type coach to prove your point. If your end goal is have a hall of fame coach come to your school and win nattys, then you can wish in one hand and etc.

But yeah, it would have been super awesome to have got Urban to coach at Arkansas. Or Bill Self. Or whoever. But finding a new coach is incredibly difficult, especially one willing to come to a school that was in the situation we were in when CBB came here. He didn't blow the program up, despite everyone here freaking out over everything. If this is his last season, the new guy will have a decent roster, no controversy, and no distractions when he came in. CBB extinguished a dumpster fire when he got here. At the very least, he's owed a little credit for laying a solid foundation here.

Was that worth this huge buyout? Of course not. lol.

Quickdraw

Quote from: RazorbackAlways on September 19, 2017, 04:02:34 pm
Lets be real here. Bret Bielema wasnt a good choice. He was/is a mediocre coach who thought he could play ball with the big boys. Hence, his letter to Jeffrey. Let me remind you of the SEC landscape during the Bobby F'in Petrino era.

Alabama - Nick Saban
LSU - Les Miles
Florida - Urban Meyer
South Carolina - Steve Spurrier
Georgia - Mark Richt

Bobby F'in Petrino's name could be mentioned along side these greats. Even the media gave him credit, something that Arkansas has almost never been able to pull off. Though CBFP was an honorable mention, his name was mentioned! Arkansas was up there.

Lets do ourselves a favor. Get another big F'in name in here. Otherwise, its going to be 5 more years of mediocre bull@#%@. Lets play to win.

And do we really thing these Coaches at this level will come to Arkansas? I don't think so....

Redhogs

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 20, 2017, 09:31:20 am
My personal opinion is that his name says it all. Let me bring some "sanity" to all of you who take this so seriously by being a contrarian.
You included?

RazorbackAlways

Quote from: Quickdraw on September 20, 2017, 09:34:19 am
And do we really thing these Coaches at this level will come to Arkansas? I don't think so....

Well, we had Lou Holtz, Danny Ford, and Frank Broyles. Exclude their records for the moment except for Broyles. Arkansas is a top program, but only if it wants to be.

hogsanity

Quote from: RazorbackAlways on September 20, 2017, 11:09:53 am
Well, we had Lou Holtz, Danny Ford, and Frank Broyles. Exclude their records for the moment except for Broyles. Arkansas is a top program, but only if it wants to be.

Lou had just failed at the Jets. Ford had been retired for years.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 20, 2017, 08:35:58 am
Jeff Long made a great hire. It hasn't panned out. Can't blame Long for that. He went out and got the best possible coach.
I don't blame Jeff Long for the hire, which was fine. I blame him for the buyout, which was wildly excessive for how CBB was doing at the time.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 20, 2017, 08:18:45 am
Not going to happen, but suppose for purposes of argument that Bielema is let go during the season. No coach currently with a job will be available, so that leaves Les Miles and Chip Kelly. Miles is a Bielema 2.0 in Fayetteville, perhaps with slightly better recruits. Don't see it.

Chip Kelly. Can you imagine his reaction if his agent tried to convinced him to take the Arkansas job now while four or five better ones might be available in two months? I can. ""You're fired."
Les Miles would need to pronounce Arkansas but would be decent. Great recruiter. Would have something to prove.

Wildhog

Quote from: HotlantaHog on September 20, 2017, 11:14:52 am
Les Miles would need to pronounce Arkansas but would be decent. Great recruiter. Would have something to prove.

Les Miles would be awful here.  He was a "great recruiter" at LSU because he was surrounded by 4 and 5 stars that grew up wanting to go to LSU.

Hell, I prefer Bielema to Les.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PonderinHog

I don't know about the rest of you, but "Don't hire another mediocre coach" is sage advice, IMO.

Wildhog

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 20, 2017, 11:20:12 am
I don't know about the rest of you, but "Don't hire another mediocre coach" is sage advice, IMO.

1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogsmo Kramer

Never beat Saban
Never beat Meyer

Chizik
TCTWF
Mullen pre-dak

Bielema had a good record before coming here, but he was a system coach that benefited from being in a conference that was down at the time he was there.

Wisky sure doesn't seem to miss him being there at all. Bielema was just a figure head for Alvarez, nothing more nothing less.

But now here at Arkansas he's having to do it all himself and he's floundering and lost.

Sad truth but the truth nonetheless. He benefited from a good gig and a beefed up stat line, but he's def mediocre at best as a HC which is ever apparent now here in year 5.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Wildhog

Never beat Saban
Never beat Meyer

Chizik
TCTWF
Mullen pre-dak

Yeah, it's not that he's a bad coach.  I just think he's a bad fit at Arkansas. 

1909/1964/1965/1977

I realize everyone has their opinion.  Please let this sink in.  Even if Bret was a good sound coach, he would only be Nutt level successful here due to the scheme he loves.  Without either being n a weak conference or being able to bring in top 10 groups of linemen on both sides of the ball annually, HIS SYSTEM DOES NOT WORK IN THE SEC.  You must have talented roadgraders on the O-line and be 2 deep for assurance.  You must have great defensive lines 2 deep to assure the competition does not gain a big lead that you cannot surmount.  If you can control the ball and stay ahead dong it, you win.  His system will not do that at Arkansas due to the limits on our recruiting.  This man was a horrible hire from day one. 

As to who can we get to replace him if that should ever happen.  I too am not interested in a retread but a young Guy like Brohm on his way up.  Lincoln Riley didn't know in May he would be HC of a very fine team before the end of June.  There are young hungry Guys out there if we know what to look for.  Honestly, Jeff Long hasn't a clue.  I want to look at what the prospect believes in on a football field. 

You must have people choosing the HC to be football smart.  Bob Stoops, the AD, and the President had several young fellows go through the OU program and they had Bob's brother onboard, but they picked  a Guy only 2 years n the program I believe.  Why because they believe he had the IT factor.  Riley has set himself up for failure by beating Ohio St on the road in his second game as HC.  Hard to beat that.  His new level of success has more chance of going down than up.  But to hear him talk, he wouldn't have it any other way.  I love confidence, hard work, refusing to be denied, attention to detail and fire in the belly.  Don Shula of the NFL had a reputation.  It was once said, Shula can take hisn and beat yourn, then take yourn and beat hisn.  I think Saban could do the same.  Thats coaching at the ground level.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HotlantaHog on September 20, 2017, 11:13:10 am
I don't blame Jeff Long for the hire, which was fine. I blame him for the buyout, which was wildly excessive for how CBB was doing at the time.

That is a fair complaint.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: 12247 on September 20, 2017, 11:57:27 am
I realize everyone has their opinion.  Please let this sink in.  Even if Bret was a good sound coach, he would only be Nutt level successful here due to the scheme he loves.  Without either being n a weak conference or being able to bring in top 10 groups of linemen on both sides of the ball annually, HIS SYSTEM DOES NOT WORK IN THE SEC.  You must have talented roadgraders on the O-line and be 2 deep for assurance.  You must have great defensive lines 2 deep to assure the competition does not gain a big lead that you cannot surmount.  If you can control the ball and stay ahead dong it, you win.  His system will not do that at Arkansas due to the limits on our recruiting.  This man was a horrible hire from day one. 

As to who can we get to replace him if that should ever happen.  I too am not interested in a retread but a young Guy like Brohm on his way up.  Lincoln Riley didn't know in May he would be HC of a very fine team before the end of June.  There are young hungry Guys out there if we know what to look for.  Honestly, Jeff Long hasn't a clue.  I want to look at what the prospect believes in on a football field. 

You must have people choosing the HC to be football smart.  Bob Stoops, the AD, and the President had several young fellows go through the OU program and they had Bob's brother onboard, but they picked  a Guy only 2 years n the program I believe.  Why because they believe he had the IT factor.  Riley has set himself up for failure by beating Ohio St on the road in his second game as HC.  Hard to beat that.  His new level of success has more chance of going down than up.  But to hear him talk, he wouldn't have it any other way.  I love confidence, hard work, refusing to be denied, attention to detail and fire in the belly.  Don Shula of the NFL had a reputation.  It was once said, Shula can take hisn and beat yourn, then take yourn and beat hisn.  I think Saban could do the same.  Thats coaching at the ground level.

I agree about his system and I think that's why we're seeing what we are.

His system isn't working here and it's really all he knows. Now he's being forced to adapt and he doesn't know what to do.

He came in confident in what he knew, but now he's shaken. He's uncertain, nervous, and his teams display that on the field.

Like I said he's floundering, and by extension so is his team.

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on September 20, 2017, 11:16:48 am
Les Miles would be awful here.  He was a "great recruiter" at LSU because he was surrounded by 4 and 5 stars that grew up wanting to go to LSU.

Hell, I prefer Bielema to Les.

But wait, we are told here that proximity to recruits is just an excuse and really should not matter.........

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on September 20, 2017, 12:49:05 pm
But wait, we are told here that proximity to recruits is just an excuse and really should not matter.........

Of course it matters.
1909/1964/1965/1977

rickfahr

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 19, 2017, 04:10:30 pm
Normally I would kinda snarl and say let it go, CBP days are long behind us but I see what you did here and have to say I agree with you.  The only thing I can say is CBP was mentioned usually as an offensive mastermind or snake in the grass or wolf in sheep's clothing.  Even the media figured CBP was a goner before the motorcycle fiasco and I'm inclined to believe he would've left for another school primed to make a National Championship run not just skirting on the possibility of finishing 2nd in the SEC West because Bama and Saban owned CBP...52-0 x's 2   :-\

If memory serves, Petrino wasn't going anywhere because he and Long had signed a new contract that made Petrino pay a boatload if he left.

Wildhog

Quote from: rickfahr on September 20, 2017, 01:16:54 pm
If memory serves, Petrino wasn't going anywhere because he and Long had signed a new contract that made Petrino pay a boatload if he left.

Yep, he had a huge buyout, but it was also a two-way buyout. 

Also, Petrino had just won 10 games and clinched a Sugar Bowl berth when he got his contract extension. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

MJ2

Big names will demand big buyouts if they're interested at all.    Probably would get here and just count the days until they're fired.   Need someone who is motivated to win at all costs.

RazorPiggie

So honest question. When people say CBB was a system coach at Wisky do yall think that Barry was sitting up in the booth calling down plays, telling the coaches which players to recruit, sitting in on coaching meetings? Or is it that Wisconsin is just one of those Blue Collar schools that they've just been in the same system for so long that it just works? I can't explain it and would like others opinions.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 20, 2017, 06:40:11 am
The next Derek Dooley Ian out there somewhere, and we need to find him.
Good news.  We got your Derek Dooley type out of the way with the last hire.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Wildhog on September 20, 2017, 01:20:50 pm
Yep, he had a huge buyout, but it was also a two-way buyout. 

Also, Petrino had just won 10 games and clinched a Sugar Bowl berth when he got his contract extension. 
vs CBB's raise/extension/buyout increase after a 7-6 (2-6) season.

I'm thinking the Long jumped the gun a bit on that one.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HamSammich

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 19, 2017, 04:07:58 pm
Bret Bielema was about as big a name as we could have hired in 2013.  Wait a bit and see what happens.
Actually you fans all wanted the sexy hire

Fat Phil fulmer being hired over smile would have won us a SEC championship. And I'm not kidding

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 19, 2017, 04:09:50 pm
What was LSU thinking when they hired Saban? You never know until the coach gets here.

I think Barbara Stanwyck would echo this statement.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

LZH

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 19, 2017, 10:15:26 pm
Admitting that you have a problem is the first step on the road to recovery.  Or so I've heard.  This may be off topic.  I'm not sure anymore.

Have a few more nips, it will come back to you.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 19, 2017, 10:15:26 pm
Admitting that you have a problem is the first step on the road to recovery.  Or so I've heard.  This may be off topic.  I'm not sure anymore.

I think Ted Lange would echo this statement.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on September 19, 2017, 05:15:08 pm
I agree. He would be successful in another situation. If Kirk Ferentz hadn't received a contract extension through 2026 (at which point he will be 71 years old) I would say that Bielema might be willing to leave Arkansas for Iowa in a move that would be good for both parties. He'd be back in the Big Ten where his style translates into more victories and we'd be free of a buyout problem. Darn the Iowa AD.

It doesn't appear Ferentz is going anywhere soon anyway. He's been there forever and has had more than one opportunity to leave. Iowa has been fairly strong the last few years and he has a couple B1G titles under his belt. My guess is he's there until he retires. I do think that would be one Bret would jump at.

TNRazorbacker

I agree we need a good coach that's a proven winner.  We aren't going to snag one of these established premier coaches though. These guys can call their own shots at this point and there's just too much downside at Arkansas. A coach like Chip Kelly can afford to hold out for a place that gives him the best chance for success.

We need to look for coaches that view Arkansas as an opportunity. A mid-major or FCS coach that has shown an ability to make an impact and build a program. All these big coaching names people throw around, Saban, Meyer, Kelly, started out by making s name for themselves there (Kelly had never even had a head coaching job before Oregon).

I also think we need a coach that does things a bit different and has a tangible nitch to offer in his system. Kelly and Petrino are offensive prodigies. Petrino is known to be an excellent play caller. Saban is a great D-back coach and defensive mind. No CEO coaches, we need more of a General thats engaged tactically and can do more than delegate.

HamSammich

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on September 20, 2017, 09:51:13 pm
I agree we need a good coach that's a proven winner.  We aren't going to snag one of these established premier coaches though. These guys can call their own shots at this point and there's just too much downside at Arkansas. A coach like Chip Kelly can afford to hold out for a place that gives him the best chance for success.

We need to look for coaches that view Arkansas as an opportunity. A mid-major or FCS coach that has shown an ability to make an impact and build a program. All these big coaching names people throw around, Saban, Meyer, Kelly, started out by making s name for themselves there (Kelly had never even had a head coaching job before Oregon).

I also think we need a coach that does things a bit different and has a tangible nitch to offer in his system. Kelly and Petrino are offensive prodigies and excellent play callers. Saban is a great D-back coach and defensive mind. No more CEO coaches. For the money we pay we need a coach thats more than a delegator.

I know for a fact that cutcliffe has already been contacted. Get ready CBB haters.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: hogsanity on September 20, 2017, 08:47:22 am
Yea the ole miss games the last 2 seasons have been boring. The Fl game last year was boring. The MSU games have been boring.

Why am I not surprised though, our fans wanted to run Hatfield off because he was boring too, only had 3 10 win seasons & the best win% of any Ar HC ever.

NO SHAT!!!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 20, 2017, 01:34:09 pm
So honest question. When people say CBB was a system coach at Wisky do yall think that Barry was sitting up in the booth calling down plays, telling the coaches which players to recruit, sitting in on coaching meetings? Or is it that Wisconsin is just one of those Blue Collar schools that they've just been in the same system for so long that it just works? I can't explain it and would like others opinions.

To me it means he was groomed in a system that worked at that particular school laid out by Alvarez over the years. It was a system that was/is good there and works in terms of recruiting, conference play, etc. but is adequate in that particular instance.

I look at Wisky as kind of a plug and play school for a coach that's willing to go along with their/Alvarez's proven system.

Unfortunately though Arkansas is a different situation altogether than Wisky but I think BB thought there were enough similarities that it would work. But I think he vastly underestimated the SEC and what it takes to compete in our conference. I think he saw the Alabama's of the world having success in a system not far off from the one he ran at Wisky and thought he could follow the same blueprint here.

However Alabama, as we all know, IS NOT Arkansas and we just simply can't get the talent here to compete in the SEC using the same system they have at Wisky. It works in that conference for that school but Arkansas needs it's own blueprint to succeed specific to our strengths and weaknesses as a program. I think BB is now realizing that and doesn't know how to find it.

I don't blame him, since I'm not sure anyone has truly found the blueprint since Broyles, but if he can't figure it out then we're wasting his and our time.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on September 21, 2017, 12:48:53 pm
To me it means he was groomed in a system that worked at that particular school laid out by Alvarez over the years. It was a system that was/is good there and works in terms of recruiting, conference play, etc. but is adequate in that particular instance.

I look at Wisky as kind of a plug and play school for a coach that's willing to go along with their/Alvarez's proven system.

Unfortunately though Arkansas is a different situation altogether than Wisky but I think BB thought there were enough similarities that it would work. But I think he vastly underestimated the SEC and what it takes to compete in our conference. I think he saw the Alabama's of the world having success in a system not far off from the one he ran at Wisky and thought he could follow the same blueprint here.

However Alabama, as we all know, IS NOT Arkansas and we just simply can't get the talent here to compete in the SEC using the same system they have at Wisky. It works in that conference for that school but Arkansas needs it's own blueprint to succeed specific to our strengths and weaknesses as a program. I think BB is now realizing that and doesn't know how to find it.

I don't blame him, since I'm not sure anyone has truly found the blueprint since Broyles, but if he can't figure it out then we're wasting his and our time.

What do you think Wisconsins record be in they played Arkansas' schedule last year and this year?