Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spring Game: Part Scrimmage; Part Practice

Started by Mike Irwin, April 28, 2017, 08:49:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Deep Shoat

Mike, I've noticed many of your colleagues in the media whining about the uselessness of the spring game because it doesn't really tell us anything.  You might remind them that they have a career because the fans have an insatiable appetite for news about the teams they love.  Things like the spring game keep us interested enough to listen to even the inane drivel you hear on most Arkansas sports radio shows.

Maybe the sports opinionists and reporters should stop trying to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 28, 2017, 10:54:42 pm
Mike, I've noticed many of your colleagues in the media whining about the uselessness of the spring game because it doesn't really tell us anything.  You might remind them that they have a career because the fans have an insatiable appetite for news about the teams they love.  Things like the spring game keep us interested enough to listen to even the inane drivel you hear on most Arkansas sports radio shows.

Maybe the sports opinionists and reporters should stop trying to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.
+1
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Jackrabbit Hog

Stoerner doing his best to be excited watching red and white paint dry.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Piggfoot

What do fans expect from the Spring game scrimmage. It is not to demonstrate a well oiled machine. It is an opportunity to get a glimpse of players, drills, and practice. That's all folks.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Pigasaurus

I'm starved for anything hog football but this is like having a  ticket to the playboy mansion and getting there and finding the golden girls reunion instead.  8)
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

theFlyingHog

Quote from: pigasaurus on April 29, 2017, 04:50:02 pm
I'm starved for anything hog football but this is like having a  ticket to the playboy mansion and getting there and finding the golden girls reunion instead.  8)
Just remember to see a doctor after four hours

Mike Irwin

As it turned out, moving indoors what was supposed to be the Red-White game, was the right decision. All you had to do was look outside while practice 15 was in progress. It was a deluge with thunderbolts. The game would have been suspended. Anybody in the stands would have been scrambling for safety.

As for simply having the game indoors it would have not been safe given the space limitations around the edges of the field. I've never seen a full scale, tackling to the ground scrimmage in that facility.

Bielema said afterward that the coaches got a lot out of the practice. Much more than if they had tried to play a spring game outdoors and been forced to cancel it 20 minutes in.

Some have said there was no entertainment value to watching what was a typical Razorback workout. I disagree with that too. I've been to more workouts over the years than I care to remember and watching the SEC Network's coverage last night after seeing it in person was fascinating.

First of all Clint Stoerner did a fabulous job of describing what was happening. He tied the individual and position drills to what the team was trying to accomplish this spring. He focused on specific players, letting the fans who don't know some of these guys get to know them better. For instance Scoota Harris is a middle linebacker who has to step up big for the defense to be successful this fall. Stoerner was explaining this and talking about Harris as a talent when almost on cue the kid picked off a pass.

Watching the battle at backup quarterback was also interesting. Especially with Stoerner, who knows a few things about quarterbacks,  ;D commenting on the ups and downs of Cole Kelley who has shown bursts of brilliance this spring with along with a lot of careless errors. Bielema said after the practice that he wanted to name a number 2 QB this spring but he wasn't able to. He expressed some frustration with that.

In the O-line vs pass rushers drill we saw that some of the issues that lead to Austin Allen getting knocked around far to much last season, are still there.

If you follow the team and want to know where it is at this point the telecast was extremely informative. If you wanted to watch a fake football game scripted for success then I could see why you'd be disappointed.

Allhawgdawg

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 28, 2017, 10:54:42 pm

Well said! I also wanted to comment on Stoerner.. Dude is a star in the making in my opinion. Right amount of humor and knowledge can take you a long way in that business.

DeltaBoy

The Team got some good work in and we know no more than we did last week about this team.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawginbigd1

I just wanted to comment I was highly impressed with Maleek Williams movement and vision. Also impressed as usual by D. Harris, kid is an absolute stud.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 30, 2017, 10:19:56 am
In the O-line vs pass rushers drill we saw that some of the issues that lead to Austin Allen getting knocked around far to much last season, are still there.

I was hoping for more from Froholdt.  When the focus was on him, he whiffed.  Now, everyone whiffs on occasion; so I'm hoping that was a rarity.  Didn't look good though.

EFBAB

ricepig

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on May 01, 2017, 08:41:21 pm
I was hoping for more from Froholdt.  When the focus was on him, he whiffed.  Now, everyone whiffs on occasion; so I'm hoping that was a rarity.  Didn't look good though.

EFBAB

We gave up 18 sacks, 2 by the #1 OL, 8 by the #2 OL against the #1 DL, the rest 3 vs 3.

PorkSoda

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on May 01, 2017, 08:41:21 pm

EFBAB
yeah, I'm starting to worry he might be a lost cause.  I hope he shows up all the doubters this fall, but I cant help but wonder if he is struggling with the mental / technique aspect of the game.  its been said that once he gets his hands on you its over, but far too often he completely whiffs.  in the oline, consistency is key.  I'd take someone who is less physical, but more consistently slowing down his man, than someone who is a 50/50 split between pancake and giving up a sack.  of course we may not have someone who is better.  in which case, CBB needs to recruit better. 

guess we will find out this fall. but tempered expectations are probably in order.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

go hogues

Is the broadcast online anywhere? I couldn't find it.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

PorkSoda

Quote from: go hogues on May 01, 2017, 08:54:35 pm
Is the broadcast online anywhere? I couldn't find it.
I assume watchespn app under replay
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ZERO

Quote from: Piggfoot on April 29, 2017, 03:22:39 pm
What do fans expect from the Spring game scrimmage. It is not to demonstrate a well oiled machine. It is an opportunity to get a glimpse of players, drills, and practice. That's all folks.

These people seem to somehow forget the season is a whole four months away, not tomorrow. Even if the team was supposed to be a well oiled machine, it's a machine trying to beat its own ass.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

theFlyingHog

Quote from: ZERO on May 01, 2017, 11:27:59 pm
These people seem to somehow forget the season is a whole four months away, not tomorrow. Even if the team was supposed to be a well oiled machine, it's a machine trying to beat its own ass.
And not giving much for the opponents to look at at the same time

FANONTHEHILL

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015