Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No bowl for football team - Mekale McKay joining team sooner?

Started by Hogifianakis, November 17, 2012, 04:15:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Smithian

Quote from: Hogifianakis on November 17, 2012, 04:15:35 pm
nm
The entire football team needs to focus on football.

New coaches and no old promises for the football team.

The_Iceman

Yeah, he should join the team after the Vegas tournament. May suit up vs. Syracuse but probably won't be ready to go.

TRUHOG718

http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

Smithian

Again, I feel he needs to focus on football.

The days of having a dominant football team where the backup QB could screw around on the basketball team should be over.

If he is a starting caliber football player.... Needs to focus on football.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Smithian on November 17, 2012, 04:37:43 pm

The days of having a dominant football team where the backup QB could screw around on the basketball team should be over.

a.  He is a WR
b.  He signed with the understanding he could, and wanted, to do both.

dsims2k3

No one complained when Matt Jones, who was a starting qb, or Joe Dean Davenport suited up for the hoops team. Ijs
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

batmanfan

Are we for sure Brandon Mitchell isnt playing?  I thought the twitter tweet turned out to be a fake account?  No media member has reported it either.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

k.c.hawg

I wouldn't mind seeing McKay for a while before deciding he shouldn't do this. He looks long and lean, has good hands and might be able to give us 5-8 minutes at the top of the press. If he looks like the 12th best player on the team than he can head off to spring football. It sure seems to be working out for USCE and Bruce Ellington!!!!!!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Cresthog

Yeah totally.

Who would want an extra 6-6" athletic wing guy for the basketball team?

secfan30

Quote from: dsims2k3 on November 17, 2012, 05:21:05 pm
No one complained when Matt Jones, who was a starting qb, or Joe Dean Davenport suited up for the hoops team. Ijs

I second. Let the guy play

HawgAdvocate

November 17, 2012, 07:49:56 pm #11 Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 07:51:54 pm by HawgAdvocate

Joe Dean only played after his senior season of football was over.

Matt Jones should never have made the team. Jason Peters (and one other football player who's name I don't recall) also tried out with Jones for one spot on the team, and he was the guy Heath should have chosen. We had very little (effective) size inside, and Peters could ball.  He had been destroying Alonzo Lane, Carl Baker, and other basketball Hogs he played against at the HPER the previous summer. He was pulling 360 crossovers, driving and dunking, dropping threes...at his size, it was amazing to watch. Heath needed a popularity boost, and attendance was sagging. Bringing in Jones was a publicity stunt at best.

I do agree with Smithian in regards to the "new coaches and old promises" comment. McKay will likely play, but it'll be up to the new staff to determine that.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

yraciv

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 17, 2012, 07:49:56 pm
Joe Dean only played after his senior season of football was over.

Matt Jones should never have made the team. Jason Peters (and one other football player who's name I don't recall) also tried out with Jones for one spot on the team, and he was the guy Heath should have chosen. We had very little (effective) size inside, and Peters could ball.  He had been destroying Alonzo Lane, Carl Baker, and other basketball Hogs he played against at the HPER the previous summer. He was pulling 360 crossovers, driving and dunking, dropping threes...at his size, it was amazing to watch. Heath needed a popularity boost, and attendance was sagging. Bringing in Jones was a publicity stunt at best.

I do agree with Smithian in regards to the "new coaches and old promises" comment. McKay will likely play, but it'll be up to the new staff to determine that.

Come on man! Maybe they both deserved a spot...I don't know anything of Peters basketball prowess, but Matt Jones was definitely more than a publicity stunt.  He was a bonafide stud that torched the states highest classification in basketball as well his SR year.  He might have not had a future in it, but that is the one sport he truly worked his ass off for.  Whether he was throwing down a dunk or hustling for a rebound, I always respected what he gave on the court.  Much better than a Joe Dean Davenport.

CallThemHawgs!

Different era man, things have changed

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: yraciv on November 17, 2012, 08:34:46 pm
Come on man! Maybe they both deserved a spot...I don't know anything of Peters basketball prowess, but Matt Jones was definitely more than a publicity stunt.  He was a bonafide stud that torched the states highest classification in basketball as well his SR year.  He might have not had a future in it, but that is the one sport he truly worked his ass off for.  Whether he was throwing down a dunk or hustling for a rebound, I always respected what he gave on the court.  Much better than a Joe Dean Davenport.

You know I'm not saying that Matt was an awful basketball player. He just didn't contribute that much to the Hogs basketball team though. It was a publicity stunt, in my opinion, because the tryouts were a waste of time. As soon as Jones decided to try out, it was a given that he was going to make the team.

Peters would have been a much better contributor. He was better than our starters inside at that time.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

yraciv

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 17, 2012, 08:55:30 pm
You know I'm not saying that Matt was an awful basketball player. He just didn't contribute that much to the Hogs basketball team though. It was a publicity stunt, in my opinion, because the tryouts were a waste of time. As soon as Jones decided to try out, it was a given that he was going to make the team.

Peters would have been a much better contributor. He was better than our starters inside at that time.

You talking his 1st season? Second he definitely contributed, and by that point he had upped his game. What kind of high school career did Peters have? I vaguely remember he could hoop, and I have no doubt he could have contributed. Those were some rough times!

Smithian

Quote from: Cresthog on November 17, 2012, 06:47:56 pm
Yeah totally.

Who would want an extra 6-6" athletic wing guy for the basketball team?
You know fully well if a freshman WR would walk in here and play meaningful minutes then we have some issues. I know it is your modus operandi to disagree with me, but you know deep down if McKay was needed on this team.... We're probably not as good as we're hoping to be.

Brandon Mitchell last year made a big impact late, but I think that was more due to the fact we ran out of bodies and he was a well built, very physical athlete. McKay is a lanky young kid.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Smithian on November 17, 2012, 09:40:18 pm
You know fully well if a freshman WR would walk in here and play meaningful minutes then we have some issues. I know it is your modus operandi to disagree with me, but you know deep down if McKay was needed on this team.... We're probably not as good as we're hoping to be.

Brandon Mitchell last year made a big impact late, but I think that was more due to the fact we ran out of bodies and he was a well built, very physical athlete. McKay is a lanky young kid.

McKay wasn't some slouch basketball player. He was one of te best players in the state of Kentucky.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 17, 2012, 10:22:55 pm
McKay wasn't some slouch basketball player. He was one of te best players in the state of Kentucky.

Meh, that wasn't exactly a strong group in 2012.

The five finalists for Mr. Kentucky 2012 were:

Nathan Dieudonne, Trinity (winner and Boston University signee)
Tamron Manning, Scott County (Marshall signee)
Matt Day, Buckhorn (Virgina-Wise signee)
Mekale McKay, Moore (Arkansas)
Adam Wing, Rowan County (Evansville signee)

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: yraciv on November 17, 2012, 09:01:15 pm
You talking his 1st season? Second he definitely contributed, and by that point he had upped his game. What kind of high school career did Peters have? I vaguely remember he could hoop, and I have no doubt he could have contributed. Those were some rough times!

Peters was all-state. I don't recall any other accolades. He was 6'5" and still around 300 pounds at the time. We didn't have anyone with any size inside. Guys like Lane and Satchell were getting shoved around like children. Matt Jones would have some good nights on the boards, but he turned it over a lot, didn't score much, and couldn't defend the paint any better than Lane or Satchell. Jones got good minutes, but he wasn't fixing our primary issue of needing some respectable size inside.

secfan30

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 17, 2012, 10:40:52 pm
Peters was all-state. I don't recall any other accolades. He was 6'5" and still around 300 pounds at the time. We didn't have anyone with any size inside. Guys like Lane and Satchell were getting shoved around like children. Matt Jones would have some good nights on the boards, but he turned it over a lot, didn't score much, and couldn't defend the paint any better than Lane or Satchell. Jones got good minutes, but he wasn't fixing our primary issue of needing some respectable size inside.

I agree, that team prob needed Peters, with that being said Matt Jones was a great high school basketball player. He broke Williamson confernce scoring record and was a finalist for McDonald's all American.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 17, 2012, 10:36:30 pm
Meh, that wasn't exactly a strong group in 2012.

The five finalists for Mr. Kentucky 2012 were:

Nathan Dieudonne, Trinity (winner and Boston University signee)
Tamron Manning, Scott County (Marshall signee)
Matt Day, Buckhorn (Virgina-Wise signee)
Mekale McKay, Moore (Arkansas)
Adam Wing, Rowan County (Evansville signee)

He averaged 17 points and 6.4 rebounds in basketball.

Still, no slouch.

arkirish

Mekale McKay only came to Arkansas because he was told he could play football and basketball, I imagine if he was now told he couldn't...he would probably leave.

PORKULATOR

I'll bet a year in Mike's system will make McKay a better Athlete thus a better football player.  The intensity of the practices alone could make anyone better.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

jjdlc

Even if he didn't play and contributed nothing more than depth to the team, the conditioning he would get would be nothing but beneficial to him.  Yes, I know basketball and football are different skill sets, but strength and stamina, are the same in either case.

dizzy_lavender

PORKULATOR

You know Mekale is dying to be out there. Especially after how fun today was for the WHOLE TEAM. Can't believe we never threw him a fade th is year. Bet we toss him some alley oops though.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Danny J

Quote from: PORKULATOR on November 18, 2012, 05:05:08 pm
You know Mekale is dying to be out there. Especially after how fun today was for the WHOLE TEAM. Can't believe we never threw him a fade th is year. Bet we toss him some alley oops though.
Yeah...heard BJ after the game talking about the excitement on the bench when this team gets going. They are clearly having fun and really get a long well. McKay will join the team in December I would imagine.

hoghiker

Quote from: Smithian on November 17, 2012, 04:18:25 pm

Not a very classy take on a promise madeto am 18 year old kid IMO.

jry04

Except he didn't come to Arkansas to play one sport. He would be another body, and be another threat to knock down the outside shot.

Smithian

Quote from: hoghiker on November 19, 2012, 08:32:52 am
Not a very classy take on a promise madeto am 18 year old kid IMO.
Circumstances change when a head coach is fired and a powerful football program collapses into a dumpster fire.

He wouldn't be the first player ever to have something promised and then it not come true. He'll still have his free education to keep him happy.

I think he will end up riding the bench for the hoop Hogs but I personally think every player in the football program should be all in on the gridiron.

Sueie

Quote from: Smithian on November 19, 2012, 09:07:20 am
Circumstances change when a head coach is fired and a powerful football program collapses into a dumpster fire.

He wouldn't be the first player ever to have something promised and then it not come true. He'll still have his free education to keep him happy.

I think he will end up riding the bench for the hoop Hogs but I personally think every player in the football program should be all in on the gridiron.

WHY would you be ALL IN on a football team that is not being coached at all?  If the new coach were to tell him he could only play one sport.  What would stop him from switching to basketball and giving up football?  Don't both sports get full ride scholarships?  IF he were to prove that he can contribute to basketball I think they could make a scholarship come open for him.

HawgAdvocate

November 19, 2012, 11:49:18 am #32 Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 11:53:45 am by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: Sueie on November 19, 2012, 10:43:22 am
What would stop him from switching to basketball and giving up football?  Don't both sports get full ride scholarships?  IF he were to prove that he can contribute to basketball I think they could make a scholarship come open for him.

What would stop him? Well, for one, Mike Anderson didn't choose to offer him a basketball scholarship. McKay was originally going to play basketball at UTEP. His future is much brighter on the football field.

Let's not be silly about this. We'll have a new football staff in place in a couple weeks, the sun will once again rise, and all will be good in the world once more.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

popcornhog

McKay to QB?! Breaking news.
WPS

benji

Waldron_Hog

Basketball creates more explosion which translates well to the football field.  It also helps hand eye coordination and foot quickness.

cmiller01

Quote from: Waldron_Hog on November 19, 2012, 09:33:22 pm
Basketball creates more explosion which translates well to the football field.  It also helps hand eye coordination and foot quickness.

As well as conditioning!

dsims2k3

Quote from: Smithian on November 19, 2012, 09:07:20 am

Wait a minute. A program of integrity would never make a false promise to a young kid to sway his decision to spend the next four years of his life here....
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

lawhawg

Quote from: Smithian on November 17, 2012, 04:18:25 pm

If your kid had a chance in college to develop two skills that might be the basis of his career instead of one, what would you want him to do?  If he's serious about being a professional athlete, this is like getting a double major.  If he can handle it, more power to him.  Who are you to give advice?

Smithian

Quote from: dsims2k3 on November 19, 2012, 11:51:18 pm

Wait a minute. A program of integrity would never make a false promise to a young kid to sway his decision to spend the next four years of his life here....
You bring him into a room, you apologize for the changes, and you explain we're going through a transition in football that was unforeseen, and at this time he needs to focus on football, the sport which is paying his scholarship. You then tell him hopefully next offseason he'll be able to join the team and play out his college career as a two sport athlete.

Smithian

Quote from: lawhawg on November 20, 2012, 10:05:49 am
If your kid had a chance in college to develop two skills that might be the basis of his career instead of one, what would you want him to do?  If he's serious about being a professional athlete, this is like getting a double major.  If he can handle it, more power to him.  Who are you to give advice?
If you review my old posts you'll see I expect he'll end up on the basketball team. I am allowed to give my opinion and if you don't like it, go pound sand.

TRUHOG718

I do not think it would be a good gesture for the oncoming staff to start their regime by ripping a kids dream right from under him. Sometimes it's best to not think too much into what I or you want, but just to do the right thing. And in this case the right thing would be to let the young man play hoops as he was promised by the previous regime.

Schools dont "have" to let incoming freshman out of their scholly's when a new coach is hired. There is a reason that they all do though. Decisions like this could backfire with future recruits because you catch more flies with honey than motor oil. What would you tell a future recruit if you were Mckay and your new coach just destroyed your dream. Probably not good things.

Coming in and flexing your muscles showing how big and bad you are because you can is a bad idea. Let him play hoops and for future recruits lay down your law at the door and give them the opportunity to be a Hog or find another college that can help them fulfill their dreams of being a 2 sport star. This is all my opinion of course and i respect those who may disagree. 
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

latrops

If there are issues pertaining to his commitment to the football team, then the new football coach should have a discussion with him.  That said, there really is no reason he, or anyone else, can't do both.  He gives basketball virtually no attention during the summer and fall....it is not until the football offseason that he participates in basketball.  During that time, there really isn't much value to focusing on football. 

Hogfaniam

seems like bball would be great offseason conditioning.  especially since its anderson style.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Sueie

I agree. Let him help the basketball team as much as he can.  If he sits the bench the whole year. Point out to him that he is not getting any playing time and needs to focus on football. But just MAYBE the kid wants to be part of a sport that was not a total embarrassment.

Rooster Hogburn

To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes