Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Finishing the west side of RRS?

Started by twistitup, March 21, 2018, 07:06:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

How long will it be steel? It seems like finishing the home side of the stadium would have taken priority over the North Side Expansion - please explain.

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ricepig

Last time I checked the brick to cover the West side wouldn't generate any income, probably the #1 reason it isn't happening. That, and there isn't the necessary room to do it as it presently exists.

go hogues

Mike Irwin has shed light on this subject many times here. If I remember correctly, it would eventually involve a lot more than the facade - they would also tunnel Razorback road along the stadium's west side and have an elevated bridge/park grand entrance. Again, lots of money for no return, other than some pretty walls. I'm doubtful it will happen any time soon.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

twistitup

So....we just leave in incomplete?

That is some redneck shiite right there. Makes my brain hurt....gimme a drink.

rzrbkman

Quote from: twistitup on March 21, 2018, 07:06:20 pm
How long will it be steel? It seems like finishing the home side of the stadium would have taken priority over the North Side Expansion - please explain.

It is finished and has been completed for several years.

Mike Irwin

Mike Irwin

Quote from: go hogues on March 21, 2018, 08:08:32 pm
Mike Irwin has shed light on this subject many times here. If I remember correctly, it would eventually involve a lot more than the facade - they would also tunnel Razorback road along the stadium's west side and have an elevated bridge/park grand entrance. Again, lots of money for no return, other than some pretty walls. I'm doubtful it will happen any time soon.
That would be nice but they could add the same pre fab drivet blocks over the beams on the west side just like they did to the east side in 2000 and it would look like this. It would not be a major project. A few million $ I'd think.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: twistitup on March 21, 2018, 08:11:33 pm
So....we just leave in incomplete?

That is some redneck shiite right there. Makes my brain hurt....gimme a drink.

That is the completed version according to the expansion plans of 1985. You need to get West upperdeck concessions improved before you go wasting money prettying up the outside

twistitup

Quote from: ImHogginIt on March 22, 2018, 02:59:51 am
That is the completed version according to the expansion plans of 1985. You need to get West upperdeck concessions improved before you go wasting money prettying up the outside

I'm trying, I'm trying......it's took us years to get into this mess, give me at least a season to get out of it. I'll never understand calling an uncompleted stadium completed and how has it not gotten fixed by now? 1985? There has been plenty of cash flow since then - seems like we would have more pride.

There IS only one Razorback, let's have some self respect and finish what we started. We tell the football team to finish, then they look at the stadium and question everything they've been told.

ricepig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 21, 2018, 09:15:43 pm
That would be nice but they could add the same pre fab drivet blocks over the beams on the west side just like they did to the east side in 2000 and it would look like this. It would not be a major project. A few million $ I'd think.

Nothing is a few million these days, the architect's fees would probably cost that, lol.

Cotton

Why is it so crazy of an idea to just close Razorback Rd from the Markham to Maple?

Instead of all this tunneling craziness.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

ricepig

Quote from: Cotton on March 22, 2018, 08:20:25 am
Why is it so crazy of an idea to just close Razorback Rd from the Markham to Maple?

I don't know, because it's a state highway?

Cotton

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2018, 08:21:29 am
I don't know, because it's a state highway?
Re-route it. Do away with it.  It zigzags after the stadium anyway.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

DeltaBoy

The Highway Dept is too dense to do anything like that Common Sense is like Hen's Teeth at that agency.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ricepig

Quote from: Cotton on March 22, 2018, 08:24:25 am
Re-route it. Do away with it.  It zigzags after the stadium anyway.
Yeah, do away with all roads that make 90° turns!

Cotton

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2018, 08:31:21 am
Yeah, do away with all roads that make 90° turns!
Or, re-route the state highway that has our premier university's stadium landlocked instead of spending God knows what on tunneling.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

The_Iceman

Take out Lot 72 and curve the road that way. Build a parking deck on Lot 74D to make up for the lost spaces.

ricepig

Quote from: Cotton on March 22, 2018, 08:33:45 am
Or, re-route the state highway that has our premier university's stadium landlocked instead of spending God knows what on tunneling.

While it's a good idea, I don't think it has a leg to stand on. I could imagine the court cases from property owners over losing their land through imminent domain in order to make a stadium look better. Sounds like we need a federal highway through there, hopefully there aren't any fat pocketbook pearly mussels around.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: twistitup on March 22, 2018, 05:18:15 am
I'm trying, I'm trying......it's took us years to get into this mess, give me at least a season to get out of it. I'll never understand calling an uncompleted stadium completed and how has it not gotten fixed by now? 1985? There has been plenty of cash flow since then - seems like we would have more pride.

There IS only one Razorback, let's have some self respect and finish what we started. We tell the football team to finish, then they look at the stadium and question everything they've been told.

I did not make a Fayetteville game last year. Do they still not have TV's in the upperdeck concession area so we can see the game while standing in line ? Let's work on that first

Cotton

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2018, 08:38:45 am
While it's a good idea, I don't think it has a leg to stand on. I could imagine the court cases from property owners over losing their land through imminent domain in order to make a stadium look better. Sounds like we need a federal highway through there, hopefully there aren't any fat pocketbook pearly mussels around.
I see your point, but wouldn't the State/University own all the land in question?

Also, is there any process to un-designate a road a state hwy?

The hwy in question for others wondering, is 112.  Starts at I49 goes north on Razorback Rd to Maple. Turns east for 2 blocks over to Garland. North on Garland until Weddington. Then west back to I49.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

twistitup

Quote from: ImHogginIt on March 22, 2018, 08:40:03 am
I did not make a Fayetteville game last year. Do they still not have TV's in the upperdeck concession area so we can see the game while standing in line ? Let's work on that first

No tv's...don't know why. If they are going to have slow service - it's would be a good investment - people might stay in line instead of giving up and going to watch the game. There would be money made on advertising too - local companies could run little ads on those little tv's.

The tv's would increase concessions revenue and advertising revenue - hear that Rice? Talk to your peeps - get us some damn tv's

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2018, 07:56:20 am
Nothing is a few million these days, the architect's fees would probably cost that, lol.

Who was the architect that designed it in the first place....I can't believe he didn't have a completed plan we could go back to w/o spending millions more. I'm assuming the original plan wasn't the 'unfinished stadium' look - it would not cost a few million.

Finish the damn stadium like big boys - what are we second tier? Wait.....

Tusks

The UA owns most all the land west of the stadium now.  Google map it.  They could reroute 112 further west a few blocks and make plenty of room on the west side to finish it.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: tusked on March 22, 2018, 10:02:47 am
The UA owns most all the land west of the stadium now.  Google map it.  They could reroute 112 further west a few blocks and make plenty of room on the west side to finish it.
just reroute 112 (the part that goes through campus) as part of I49

ricepig

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on March 22, 2018, 11:12:21 am
just reroute 112 (the part that goes through campus) as part of I49

Which would mean the city of Fayetteville would then be responsible for it's maintenance, I doubt they'd love that.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on March 22, 2018, 08:53:47 am
Who was the architect that designed it in the first place....I can't believe he didn't have a completed plan we could go back to w/o spending millions more. I'm assuming the original plan wasn't the 'unfinished stadium' look - it would not cost a few million.

The season needs to get here soon. You might run out of things to complain about with regard to the University.
Go Hogs Go!

twistitup

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 22, 2018, 11:35:58 am
The season needs to get here soon. You might run out of things to complain about with regard to the University.

Is it wrong to ask for a finished stadium as we dump millions into expansion....expansion of an unfinished stadium?

Look at all the athletic facility improvements we've made in the past decade....but oooops we forgot to finish west side.

mhsbc59

Quote from: twistitup on March 22, 2018, 11:39:43 am
Is it wrong to ask for a finished stadium as we dump millions into expansion....expansion of an unfinished stadium?

Look at all the athletic facility improvements we've made in the past decade....but oooops we forgot to finish west side.

Honestly I never knew that it was unfinished and my seat have been in the upper west deck side since they added it.  It doesn't bother or look unfinished to me.  I do agree that the concessions are an issue.
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 21, 2018, 09:15:43 pm

Not much different then Neyland Stadium.  The front looks great, but if you walk to the river its a ghetto.  I agree with you though. 

twistitup

Quote from: mhsbc59 on March 22, 2018, 11:49:43 am
Honestly I never knew that it was unfinished and my seat have been in the upper west deck side since they added it.  It doesn't bother or look unfinished to me.  I do agree that the concessions are an issue.

To each his own. I like a project completed...just my opinion. Our common ground is concessions....I'll take that.

elksnort

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 22, 2018, 08:26:56 am
The Highway Dept is too dense to do anything like that Common Sense is like Hen's Teeth at that agency.
They are not too dense. There are many, many more important projects out there and limited funds.

Tusks

In those immortal words of Abe Lemmons while standing in mud with a ruined pair of $500 cowboy boots.

"That's what I hate about you guys, you spend $10M to fix up you arena (barnhill) but you're to cheap to pave the parking lot"

elksnort

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 22, 2018, 11:35:58 am
My goodness, you aren't kidding! Wow!

Interestingly, I had done work for the ARDOT from around Baum to Maple on Razorback Road years ago. There are way way too many other projects in Washington and Benton counties. One pending is to parallel I-49 to the west to relieve traffic pressure. Anyway......

elksnort

Quote from: twistitup on March 22, 2018, 11:39:43 am

I appreciate your critical eye for decorum. I really do. But what is unfinished to you might be finished for others.

Obvious comment alert!!!

I am looking forward to the football program's results to be more "finished".

ricepig

Quote from: elksnort on March 22, 2018, 12:11:34 pm
My goodness, you aren't kidding! Wow!

Interestingly, I had done work for the ARDOT from around Baum to Maple on Razorback Road years ago. There are way way too many other projects in Washington and Benton counties. One pending is to parallel I-49 to the west to relieve traffic pressure. Anyway......

Yeah, I suspect after the 6 lane work, building another route to relieve traffic even further is too on the NWA wish list.

Tusks

Yak will finish it during his tenure, wait and see.

His type of AD has to build and remodel things or they don't know what to do.

Tusks

twistitup

Quote from: elksnort on March 22, 2018, 12:14:22 pm
I appreciate your critical eye for decorum. I really do. But what is unfinished to you might be finished for others.

I agree....as I stated earlier, I have neighbors up the road with a tarp for a roof. They are happy, it's not my house, I don't care - it's finished according to them. I think they only went through 20 tarps last year....it's more economical than a $10,000 roof - plus a roof doesn't create revenue (rice would agree). Some people don't care about minor details like a roof.

Personally, I like my house with a good roof and my stadiums with completed exteriors.... just my .02

elksnort

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2018, 12:25:24 pm
Yeah, I suspect after the 6 lane work, building another route to relieve traffic even further is too on the NWA wish list.
I don't think I am giving any secrets away. In fact, I know I am not.

But a job which is pending for me is in fact Hwy. 112 from Hwy. 412 in Tontitown going north to Bentonville. Some of it will be expanding the existing highway and other part will be a road right of way. It is actually broken up in to two jobs. Hopefully, I am the one who is doing the initial search work. Well, I know I will be but don't like to get too giddy about upcoming work.

After 4 months of no work due to contract issues, I have work now. Thank goodness.

I digress. Back to west end facade issues....

ricepig

Quote from: elksnort on March 22, 2018, 01:14:21 pm
I don't think I am giving any secrets away. In fact, I know I am not.

But a job which is pending for me is in fact Hwy. 112 from Hwy. 412 in Tontitown going north to Bentonville. Some of it will be expanding the existing highway and other part will be a road right of way. It is actually broken up in to two jobs. Hopefully, I am the one who is doing the initial search work. Well, I know I will be but don't like to get too giddy about upcoming work.

After 4 months of no work due to contract issues, I have work now. Thank goodness.

I digress. Back to west end facade issues....

Yeah, I was pretty sure they were in the process of either design, or actual 'letting" of the contracts for some work.

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2018, 07:56:20 am
Probably a $25-30 million project.  The stadium uses precast concrete panels as its skin which is a whole lot more than some Dryvit EIFS skin.

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: twistitup on March 22, 2018, 08:53:47 am

Heery International out of Atlanta with local support from Wittenberg Delony and Davidson designed the expansion back in the early 2000's. 

To my knowledge there never has been a design for the west side of the stadium to be updated. 

Mike Irwin

Quote from: tusked on March 22, 2018, 12:08:37 pm
In those immortal words of Abe Lemmons while standing in mud with a ruined pair of $500 cowboy boots.

"That's what I hate about you guys, you spend $10M to fix up you arena (barnhill) but you're to cheap to pave the parking lot"
I was standing next to Abe with a couple of newspaper guys when he said that. That's pretty much a direct quote. He did have a point. The parking lot to the south of Barnhill in those days was dirt and it had been raining for a couple of days before that. Frank liked to renovate but he'd do it in stages based on how much money he could raise at the time which is why DWRRS is unfinished to this day.

ricepig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 22, 2018, 04:37:41 pm
I was standing next to Abe with a couple of newspaper guys when he said that. That's pretty much a direct quote. He did have a point. The parking lot to the south of Barnhill in those days was dirt and it had been raining for a couple of days before that. Frank liked to renovate but he'd do it in stages based on how much money he could raise at the time which is why DWRRS is unfinished to this day.

Well, I think there was some gravel in that lot, but maybe not much. We had to park there when we couldn't find a place on Stadium, or behind the house. Of course, a lot of the gravel was slung around by some after a night in Dickson St.

greenie

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2018, 04:43:28 pm
Well, I think there was some gravel in that lot, but maybe not much. We had to park there when we couldn't find a place on Stadium, or behind the house. Of course, a lot of the gravel was slung around by some after a night in Dickson St.

The better Fraternity houses were on the other side of campus...closer to most the sorority houses and better parking.   ;)

Mike Irwin

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2018, 04:43:28 pm
It was a mud pit after a heavy rain. Abe was standing on the concrete walkway at the south entrance to Barnhill cleaning the mud off the bottom of his boots when he said that.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on March 22, 2018, 01:09:12 pm
I agree....as I stated earlier, I have neighbors up the road with a tarp for a roof. They are happy, it's not my house, I don't care - it's finished according to them. I think they only went through 20 tarps last year....it's more economical than a $10,000 roof - plus a roof doesn't create revenue (rice would agree). Some people don't care about minor details like a roof.

Personally, I like my house with a good roof and my stadiums with completed exteriors.... just my .02

I actually like the openness of the West Side. Fresh air and at half time or before the game, if you want to stroll out and look over the side you can see a lot of other Hog fans coming and going, doing their thing, tailgating, etc. It's far different than it would be with an enclosed atmosphere that a facade would provide. I like it. It provides room (and air) to breathe.
Go Hogs Go!

twistitup

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 22, 2018, 08:46:17 pm
I actually like the openness of the West Side. Fresh air and at half time or before the game, if you want to stroll out and look over the side you can see a lot of other Hog fans coming and going, doing their thing, tailgating, etc. It's far different than it would be with an enclosed atmosphere that a facade would provide. I like it. It provides room (and air) to breathe.

I like breathing like the next guy...but I still like a stadium that appears to be finished. Our stadium was not designed to look the way it currently does.

mhsbc59

Quote from: twistitup on March 22, 2018, 08:55:03 pm
I like breathing like the next guy...but I still like a stadium that appears to be finished. Our stadium was not designed to look the way it currently does.

i think u lost this one bud folks just dont care.  Now back to the real problem food lines
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mhsbc59 on March 23, 2018, 07:34:25 am
i think u lost this one bud folks just dont care.  Now back to the real problem food lines

Maybe you don't care but other people might.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi