Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Convince me of your choice for conceal carry pistol

Started by hawgcaller, December 04, 2014, 06:28:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgcaller

I am trying to decide what caliber, brand, and style of pistol I should use to carry concealed. I don't plan to carry on my person  all the time, but when I do I want to be easily concealed and not too heavy to tote around. I already have a Smith &Wesson 9 mil, but I feel it may be slightly too large with a 4 inch barrel. I am thinking of a 40 cal or 38. Do any of you have opinions on this??

kodiakisland

Use and carry what you like.  ANY gun is better than no gun.  Practice, practice, practice.  Muscle memory is important.

Smaller semi autos are usually harder to shoot and less reliable as compared to the full size version.  I personally carry a 1911 commander and don't find it to be too big.  I also don't worry about only having 8 shots.  At times I have a smaller 32 H&R revolver.  Again, 6 shots is plenty.  Whatever you get just make sure it is reliable.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

OTTER

I bought a Ruger LC9 for carry purposes and it is an ok gun.  It's main flaw is the trigger pull.  It's long and longer and takes a lot, and I mean a lot, of practice time to get used to it.  I shot a LC9S last week and it is a much better firearm than the older LC9 because of the shorter trigger pull (it's striker fired) and the quick reset, which the LC9 doesn't have.  I have gotten used to carrying my Ruger P 95, and though it's larger and heavier, with that sucker, you can drive nails.  I hated it when the ceased making those, very, very reliable and a great shooting gun.  As Kodiak says, whatever you decide to buy, practice, practice, practice and if you are like me and carry one or the other at times, make sure you put a lot of rounds through them on the range.  Muscle memory---priceless.     
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

DeltaBoy

I pocket carry a 1972 Charter Arms Undercover 38 special.  I do this cause it is the easiest to conceal and works with any outfit.  I also have a IWB and a belt holster for it.   Really Cold weather when I am wearing a Coat I sometimes carry my Sigma 40 VE in slide holster or in a traditional Belt Holster from Fobus.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkRinds

I carry a Ruger SR9C.  Not too expensive, and I am really accurate with it.  In fact, I spent time with the SR9 and the SR9C and the reason I went with the 9C is because I didn't sacrifice any accuracy from the larger version after shooting both multiple times.   

OTTER

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 05, 2014, 11:12:58 am
I carry a Ruger SR9C.  Not too expensive, and I am really accurate with it.  In fact, I spent time with the SR9 and the SR9C and the reason I went with the 9C is because I didn't sacrifice any accuracy from the larger version after shooting both multiple times.   
I'm definately going to shoot the SR9C soon.  I've heard nothing but good things about it and I'm a huge Ruger fan.  Thanks for the info.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

PorkRinds

Quote from: OTTER on December 05, 2014, 12:12:16 pm
I'm definately going to shoot the SR9C soon.  I've heard nothing but good things about it and I'm a huge Ruger fan.  Thanks for the info.

The size difference really isn't that much between the two.  I've been really impressed with this gun.  I shoot usually once a week at least, and it's never misfired.  I've read that ruger tends to put too much "grease" in their guns when they ship them out, to ensure no rusting if it sits on a shelf and that sometimes it's worth taking the gun apart and cleaning it, and using whatever lube you like before you shoot it.  I took mine apart and didn't have that issue, so I test fired it later that day.  No problems at all.  Just something I thought I'd mention, because the guy that sold me the gun mentioned it to me. 

OTTER

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 05, 2014, 12:33:27 pm
The size difference really isn't that much between the two.  I've been really impressed with this gun.  I shoot usually once a week at least, and it's never misfired.  I've read that ruger tends to put too much "grease" in their guns when they ship them out, to ensure no rusting if it sits on a shelf and that sometimes it's worth taking the gun apart and cleaning it, and using whatever lube you like before you shoot it.  I took mine apart and didn't have that issue, so I test fired it later that day.  No problems at all.  Just something I thought I'd mention, because the guy that sold me the gun mentioned it to me.
I got into the habit of cleaning any new gun I buy a long time ago.  When I worked security at ANO, we used Mil-Tec as our lube and I became a fan of it.  After several uses, it provides a polymer bond to the metal and helps keep the gun much cleaner during firing, as well as providing exceptional protection to all the areas that "feel the heat".  It's a good idea to apply it just before heading to the range because the heat during shooting helps the bonding process.

Albert Einswine

Get yourself a CZ 75 platform, there are a bunch of them from a lot of manufacturers. You won't find a better shooting, more accurate and reliable handgun.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

flynhog

I like sig sauer p238.  Nice .380 that's small and well built.  Don't go cheap on ammo.
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

jrulz83

Walther PK .380 (fits my girlishly small hands well), Kel Tec P32 (for deep concealment), Glock model 32 because it's Russian tractor tough, but way more reliable.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

DOGALUM

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 07, 2014, 05:03:53 pm
Get yourself a CZ 75 platform, there are a bunch of them from a lot of manufacturers. You won't find a better shooting, more accurate and reliable handgun.
and it fits like a glove.  I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't agree. 

Not my favorite......but damn near.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

OnTheHillHogFan

Glock 27 is what I carry. It is the subcompact .40 caliber.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

2hogsafrickin

Packin a Ruger .380 LCP right now. Very long trigger pull and hope I don't have to use it

DOGALUM

Quote from: 2hogsafrickin on December 09, 2014, 09:16:11 am
Packin a Ruger .380 LCP right now. Very long trigger pull and hope I don't have to use it
i hope you don't either.....but if you do.....you won't notice the trigger pull.   So no worries.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

rcopela

Quote from: 2hogsafrickin on December 09, 2014, 09:16:11 am
My choice as well..

theFlyingHog

I carry the M&P shield in .40. It needs upgrading to be very loveable tho

HogScoutMaster

"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

tweaky1

Check out the Springfield Armory XDS in .45.   Very concealable. I've got one and about to get a second.  Also have the Ruger .380.

DeltaBoy

The Bottom line is find a gun you like and can shoot well buy it and carry it.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

root_hawg

LSUFan

Ruger SR45 with Black Talon equivalents. I call it, my Window Maker.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Pudgepork

Id have to agree with everything PorkRinds said about the SR9C.  I think it has the best factory trigger of them all.  It is much fun to shoot and it eats anything you put through it.  I have one with many thousands of rounds through it and it keeps on bangin

1highhog

I agree with OntheHillHogfan about the Glock 27, I carry it as well in a .40 cal sub, I have laser sights on it that are actually mounted on the rear sights, very small and not bulky like many laser sights, very accurate and easy to shoot and  to me the best small compact out there.  I practice a lot though and as many have pointed out, that's what counts the most, get you a firearm that fits your hand the best and don't make a rash decision. 

DeltaBoy

All good rigs and you got to find what works for you.

JHESTER

I carry a Springfield XDS 9.  Thin and very concealable. 

Albert Einswine

Slapped a deposit down on a Tristar C-100 on Tuesday, it's a compact CZ-75 clone. Should be in early next week.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

rickm1976

I carry a Ruger LCP in my front pocket in a Desantis pocket holster.  The .380 is probably not the best man stopper, but I figure anything bigger and I might not be so inclined to carry it, so any gun is better than no gun.  At least that little .380 might get me or someone I care about out of a jam.  I just pray I never have to be in a situation where I might have to use any gun against another human being.

Albert Einswine

I picked up my new Tristar Canik 55, C-100 9mm this morning and came straight back to the house and ran a couple of mags through it. I LOVE this gun. Very compact and dead nuts accurate. It fits comfortably in the waistband front or rear. Definitely my new go to carry gun.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Albert Einswine on February 09, 2015, 02:14:45 pm

I picked up my new Tristar Canik 55, C-100 9mm this morning and came straight back to the house and ran a couple of mags through it. I LOVE this gun. Very compact and dead nuts accurate. It fits comfortably in the waistband front or rear. Definitely my new go to carry gun.

Albert, what is the price on one like that? 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on February 09, 2015, 03:52:44 pm
Albert, what is the price on one like that? 

They're non-native to Indiana so I paid a mom and pop locally $385.20 to get me one in, which I'm glad to do to support the local economy. Academy sells them, or was selling them last year I positively know, for $329 before taxes. I don't know what it would be out the door from there. Sadly, there are no Academies in Indiana.

They're worth every penny, trust me on that.

lahawg1

The whole purpose of CC is concealment. I carry a LW Seacamp, it's the size of a .25 automatic and shoots a .380. It has no sights to hang up when drawing, no safety, is a double action so when you pull the trigger it cocks every time, and is a very high quality gun.

It is designed for close work only, if you are attacked, you pull it, stick it in their belly, and go to work. If you want to shoot 30ft it's not the gun for you.

http://seecamp.com/products.htm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B22wLsyYEkTOMDU4MjJlNTktOTRlZi00NTJkLWE0MGMtZmEwNGFlMWE3ZDlm/view?pli=1

http://seecamp.com/overlays.htm