Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Duck Commander influence on duck hunting

Started by fakebobholt, September 15, 2014, 10:59:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fakebobholt

We will go to the duck dynasty bowl just to spite my hatred for those bearded clowns. They are the single worse thing to happen to duck hunting. Now every kid has a jacked up loud exhaust chevy with 9 calls hanging from their laynard.

RyeHogFan

Quote from: fakebobholt on September 15, 2014, 10:59:45 pm
We will go to the duck dynasty bowl just to spite my hatred for those bearded clowns. They are the single worse thing to happen to duck hunting. Now every kid has a jacked up loud exhaust chevy with 9 calls hanging from their laynard.

I grew up in DeWitt, so everybody having a jacked up Chevy with pipes and a bunch of duck calls hangin from the rear view mirror has always been the norm for me. I guess some of you hoity-toity high falutin folks have just been sheltered from country livin. 

fakebobholt

Quote from: RyeHogFan on September 16, 2014, 08:49:54 am
I grew up in DeWitt, so everybody having a jacked up Chevy with pipes and a bunch of duck calls hangin from the rear view mirror has always been the norm for me. I guess some of you hoity-toity high falutin folks have just been sheltered from country livin.

problem is now there are 3 times as many hunters with fewer ducks. By the time they get here they have been pressured far more than in years past.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: fakebobholt on September 16, 2014, 09:02:11 am
problem is now there are 3 times as many hunters with fewer ducks. By the time they get here they have been pressured far more than in years past.

too many carpetbaggers buying up all the property in eastern Arkansas. I can count about 5 people I know in the military that own land over there. And nope, they don't let anyone else hunt it. Even me. D-bags
This is my non-signature signature.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: fakebobholt on September 16, 2014, 09:02:11 am

Have those hunters shift to Canada Geese. No shortage of those walking poop factories.

CallThemHawgs!

That was 80% of the guys in high school everywhere in Arkansas circa 2002-2006

Albert Einswine

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 16, 2014, 12:23:44 pm
That was 80% of the guys in high school everywhere in Arkansas circa 2002-2006

Circa 1980-1984 and prior. It goes way back. I don't know about now, but back then when I was in school the Friday before opening day of deer season a no-school day.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Albert Einswine on September 16, 2014, 12:31:37 pm

Circa 1980-1984 and prior. It goes way back. I don't know about now, but back then when I was in school the Friday before opening day of deer season a no-school day.

Haha yeah I figured as much, Duck Commander has brought some things into the mainstream, but I dont think it has changed the way Arkansas high school boys act too much.

In fact, once football season started attendance in general was not even taken, because of games, hunting, etc about 1/2 of the class was nowhere to be found on most days.

SemperHawg

Used to a mid life crisis would mean you bought a motorcycle.  Now they are growing beards and stomping all over the already limited public ground with little regard for safety or etiquette.

AllHog90

Yea, expanded interest in the sport is the worst thing that's ever happened to it. I have noticed nothing but more people in the woods over the last few years. Has not stopped me from having very successful trips. There are tons of people in this country that want to do away with hunting all together. We're gaining allies and people are doing nothing but crying about it.

talley

I haven't seen any more hunters in the woods... more top waters yes, but not more hunters... more people with beards, yes, but not more hunters... duck dynasty is watched by all types of people and i honestly dont think that more people have started hunting because of this show... have more people tried to make duck calls now? Oh yeah.  I see that everywhere.  But, as far as more duck hunters, i dont believe that is because of the show...

Wayne Watson

Quote from: AllHog90 on September 16, 2014, 03:25:56 pm

Yea, expanded interest in the sport is the worst thing that's ever happened to it. I have noticed nothing but more people in the woods over the last few years. Has not stopped me from having very successful trips. There are tons of people in this country that want to do away with hunting all together. We're gaining allies and people are doing nothing but crying about it.

Exactly.  There was a very popular show on the Outdoor Channel for several years before Duck Dynasty came along.  Oh...that show was called Duck Commander.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Rzbakfromwaybak

So... if the duck dynasty bunch shaved their beards, dropped their TV show, quit hunting & making duck calls,  & maybe joined up with the animal rights people to decrease the amount of hunters.....somehow that would make things better for duck hunting?   

.........& I always thought those guys were on our side?

Well, we can always count on some delusional posts here on Hogville.....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

AllHog90

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on September 16, 2014, 04:24:46 pm

.........& I always thought those guys were on our side?

They are on our side. For some reason, a great deal of duck hunters today just absolutely cannot handle anyone but themselves being in to duck hunting. I don't understand it.

So what if they are just now getting into and think that they should have beards to hunt? What does that matter to you? So what if folks want to make their own duck calls. Isn't that what America is all about?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: RyeHogFan on September 16, 2014, 08:49:54 am

Amen except our Calls we Rich n Tone, some by Mr. Knoll in Clarendon, Outers and some from a boy in Mississippi. Mine rig was a cherry bombed F-150 78 Ford Ranger.  Still got my 1982 model 870!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jrulz83

I don't really care about the influence they have on duck hunting, I'm more concerned with the stereotype about Southerners that they are advancing. People watching their show that aren't Southern may get their only glimpse of our culture through that show. Is that show representative of your culture? It certainly isn't of mine.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: AllHog90 on September 16, 2014, 04:56:46 pm

They are on our side. For some reason, a great deal of duck hunters today just absolutely cannot handle anyone but themselves being in to duck hunting. I don't understand it.

So what if they are just now getting into and think that they should have beards to hunt? What does that matter to you? So what if folks want to make their own duck calls. Isn't that what America is all about?

You evidently missed the whole point of my post.  It was sarcasm, which should have been clear.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: jrulz83 on September 17, 2014, 02:34:41 pm
I don't really care about the influence they have on duck hunting, I'm more concerned with the stereotype about Southerners that they are advancing. People watching their show that aren't Southern may get their only glimpse of our culture through that show. Is that show representative of your culture? It certainly isn't of mine.

What stereotype?  All Southerners aren't rich, love God, family and hunting?
We don't rent pigs

supersaint

One of Willie's brothers in law was a walk on at Arkansas in the early 90's. He was actually pushing for playing time as a true freshman before he blew out his knee. He gave up football after the injury.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

jrulz83

Quote from: Wayne Watson on September 17, 2014, 03:27:02 pm
What stereotype?  All Southerners aren't rich, love God, family and hunting?

:) Yeah that one.  :)

AllHog90

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on September 17, 2014, 03:18:08 pm
You evidently missed the whole point of my post.  It was sarcasm, which should have been clear.

No, I was with you.. That second part was directed at the OP. Apologies that THAT was not clear.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: AllHog90 on September 18, 2014, 10:47:34 am

No, I was with you.. That second part was directed at the OP. Apologies that THAT was not clear.

No problem, sorry I misunderstood your intent.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: jrulz83 on September 17, 2014, 02:34:41 pm

It shows Northern LA and parts of Ark on the Mississippi Flyway.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

jrulz83

September 22, 2014, 05:37:18 pm #23 Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:57:35 pm by jrulz83
Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 19, 2014, 10:31:20 am
It shows Northern LA and parts of Ark on the Mississippi Flyway.

FYI, I was born and raised right in the heart of the Arkansas portion of the Mississippi Flyway and have numerous relatives in Northern Louisiana.

tophawg19

biggest difference i see was in the 80's we had 3000.00 four wheel drives and 3 wheelers . now these kids are wheeling $ 50,000.00 rigs with monster 4 wheelers , bad boy buggies etc. And hunting ethics have little place in many of their lives . And little respect for nature as they blast through mud holes with those big tires . We did our share of mud riding but as soon as possible went back with tractors with buckets and backhoes to fix any mess
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Wayne Watson

Quote from: tophawg19 on September 22, 2014, 06:02:03 pm
biggest difference i see was in the 80's we had 3000.00 four wheel drives and 3 wheelers . now these kids are wheeling $ 50,000.00 rigs with monster 4 wheelers , bad boy buggies etc. And hunting ethics have little place in many of their lives . And little respect for nature as they blast through mud holes with those big tires . We did our share of mud riding but as soon as possible went back with tractors with buckets and backhoes to fix any mess

Sooo.   You're saying all southerners are rich.  I remember those days.  My dad still has his Honda Big Red.   ;D
We don't rent pigs

tophawg19

some of us were far from it . in the early 80's i had a 74 scout 2 . it just blows my mind at some of the toys these kids have now

1highhog

September 23, 2014, 09:15:44 am #27 Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 01:46:52 pm by 1highhog
Yep, pretty much nothing has changed except boys and the price of their toys.  My truck was a 1975 Chevy Cheyenne with a 454, and of course it had the ever present 3 wheeler in the back ready at a moments notice to use whenever we decided to make up a good ride.  I gave $2,500 for my truck, and $1,500 for my 3 wheeler brand new, all the while building boats and making a living doing so at MonArk.  There were as many people in the woods then as now, just not as many Yankees.  When all the timber companies offered up their land for lease, it was snatched up pretty quick by carpetbaggers who tried to tell us we could no longer hunt the land we'd been hunting since Dad had started each of us out at the age of 4 with him. 

I've never really been a what I'd call a sportsman type hunter, I hunt because I want meat, Squirrel, Rabbit, and Deer, and still go Coon hunting every so often, barbecue coon is good.  I only use rabbit Gums for hunting rabbits anymore, best and easiest way to catch them, I usually put out about 4 a night, walk them early in the morning, and see what I've got.  Once I've got enough in the freezer, I'm done.

[attachment deleted by admin]

fakebobholt

I just bought a 2000 landcruiser with bumpers and new mud tires to leave at my place. I paid $6500 for it. A freaking polaris Ranger is $12,000-14,000. The dealership said they just traded for a can am 1000 4 wheeler that a guy paid over $17,000 for. That is nuts. Hunting has become the popular thing to do and there are to many top waters imto nowdays. I love it because I have been aquiring hunting land for 22 years and its the only investment that continues to increase regardless of the economy.

ArchitectHog

Quote from: tophawg19 on September 22, 2014, 06:02:03 pm
We did our share of mud riding but as soon as possible went back with tractors with buckets and backhoes to fix any mess

Strange.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
Quote from: KEYS on October 07, 2009, 10:45:57 am
The Hogs should play every HOME game in Little Rock just as soon as the campus is moved there... hence the meaning of "home."
Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on August 13, 2010, 08:47:52 am
We can no longer afford to play in Little Rock. The university is in Fayetteville.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 27, 2014, 08:25:49 pm
I think the biggest influence is in the clothing and face paint they're wearing. And the string of calls around their neck even though they've not mastered one of them yet.
Yeah the face paint is ridiculous. I always laugh when you see guys with there whole face blacked out like they are about to go on the OBL raid.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

woodrow hog call

I think the hunting shows in general have done more damage than good.
In the late 70's to early 80's, I could bow hunt and not really worry about seeing a bunch of other hunters. If someone happened to be parked in the spot I was going to, I just went on to a different area, now days people just walk right on in, climb a tree within sight of you and not think a thing about it.

It's not all about killing deer with me (anymore) I just want be alone in the woods, and not have some city boys trying to hunt right next to me.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

David†

Quote from: woodrow hog call on September 29, 2014, 01:14:37 pm
In the late 70's to early 80's, I could bow hunt and not really worry about seeing a bunch of other hunters. If someone happened to be parked in the spot I was going to, I just went on to a different area, now days people just walk right on in, climb a tree within sight of you and not think a thing about it.

It's not all about killing deer with me (anymore) I just want be alone in the woods, and not have some city boys trying to hunt right next to me.

Buy private property. How dare anyone but you use the gubment land.

DeltaBoy

Yep when the Fed expanded the White River Refuge and the Cache River Refuge hundreds of folks in the Delta lost access to land they had leased from Potlatch and GP since before WW2.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: David† on September 30, 2014, 09:10:11 pm
Buy private property. How dare anyone but you use the gubment land.

Good idea, I do have land, and I just don't go on gubment land very much anymore.
I think people should have more respect for others is all I'm saying, if I go hunt public land I'm always going to have two or three places in mind, if somebody is parked in the spot I was going, I go on to the next option. Some folks don't see it that way, maybe you're one of them.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

DeltaBoy

Before my leg went South, I used to drive in as far as I could into Dagmar to Squirrel hunt then I would hike up to a half mile off the road.

WADHOG

Quote from: Wayne Watson on September 22, 2014, 07:33:18 pm
Sooo.   You're saying all southerners are rich.  I remember those days.  My dad still has his Honda Big Red.   ;D
lol

WADHOG

Quote from: woodrow hog call on September 29, 2014, 01:14:37 pm

I grew up in the Cache river bottoms in nea, and I understand your angst, but it isn't going to change reality.  We used to have friends come up from Sheridan and hunt the timber.  We would drop them off at their hotel and out of staters would be offering us $200 a gun for a morning hunt.  I always told them no, but you can come for free.  Try another angle, when you hear the decoys start hitting the water fifty yards down wind, instead of shining your light and yelling, invite them to pull in and hunt with you.  You already have one thing in common, chances are you'll have more.  Who knows, you may spark a friendship that puts you in the middle of Illinois on a whitetail hunt.  We are a dying breed and we need to stick together.  The world is not changing in our favor.

tophawg19

we were taught ethics . the new hunters aren't taught these things . As you've said i've had hunters come in close while working turkeys and deer hunting . knowing we were there and try to cut us off. they left quickly with help. i've also had shot raining down because guys got too close trying to hunt over our duck decoys . Too many greedy selfish hunters out there who don't know how to do for themselves so they try and push in on those who do.

DeltaBoy

We had extended family land to hunt on and we had Dagmar WMA so we had plenty of Space and with friends I hunted all over Phillips, Monroe, Arkansas and Prairie Counties in the Early 1980's.
We were taught to stay on the road, hike in or take the 110 , close the gates behind you, share your kill with the land or property owner or trustee.  Never kill more than you wanted to clean and eat.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 05, 2014, 12:46:54 pm
We had extended family land to hunt on and we had Dagmar WMA so we had plenty of Space and with friends I hunted all over Phillips, Monroe, Arkansas and Prairie Counties in the Early 1980's.
We were taught to stay on the road, hike in or take the 110 , close the gates behind you, share your kill with the land or property owner or trustee.  Never kill more than you wanted to clean and eat.

Cant do that anymore, i also grew up hunting prairie, Woodruff, and Monroe counties, in the 80's and early 90's. That was before the "gucci" hunters invaded the bottoms throwing around money getting a little land here and there then thinking they owned Gods country. Now everything is posted and it takes big money to get on them. A lot of the  City slickers ruined everything.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on November 09, 2014, 03:12:51 pm
Cant do that anymore, i also grew up hunting prairie, Woodruff, and Monroe counties, in the 80's and early 90's. That was before the "gucci" hunters invaded the bottoms throwing around money getting a little land here and there then thinking they owned Gods country. Now everything is posted and it takes big money to get on them. A lot of the  City slickers ruined everything.

Yep I still get in on some extended family land when I want to buy a out of state 3 day small game permit. Monroe County is covered in purple paint.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 09, 2014, 09:15:09 pm
Yep I still get in on some extended family land when I want to buy a out of state 3 day small game permit. Monroe County is covered in purple paint.

Heck we farm 1600 acres on the cache close to black swamp and can't duck hunt it because some Gucci guys have it leased.

AllHog90

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on November 09, 2014, 03:12:51 pm

Well, technically the whole earth is God's country. Also... if you're that mad... pony up the money and lease some of the land.

Also, how did "gucci" get brought in to this?

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: AllHog90 on November 11, 2014, 01:32:18 pm

Well, technically the whole earth is God's country. Also... if you're that mad... pony up the money and lease some of the land.

Also, how did "gucci" get brought in to this?

We call Gods country the bottoms.

Gucci is what us poor country folk call the rich city slickers that show up in $50K trucks with slick tires, $10k boat, carrying the most expensive shotgun they can find, wearing 5 duck calls around their necks (cant call ducks on any of them, cause they went to the duck calling contest and think thats how you call when you hunt) wearing the most expensive clothes they can find. But it is nice when they get stuck 10 miles from nowhere and need to be pulled out. But seriously, its not as bad now as it was when they first started showing up here, 20+ years ago. They figured out we can be helpful at times.

cbhawg03

Don't have an opinion on their influence, show is funny at times, but there was about 1000 birds or so flying over Ft Smith late last night heading South

DeltaBoy

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on November 11, 2014, 10:34:59 pm
We call Gods country the bottoms.

Gucci is what us poor country folk call the rich city slickers that show up in $50K trucks with slick tires, $10k boat, carrying the most expensive shotgun they can find, wearing 5 duck calls around their necks (cant call ducks on any of them, cause they went to the duck calling contest and think thats how you call when you hunt) wearing the most expensive clothes they can find. But it is nice when they get stuck 10 miles from nowhere and need to be pulled out. But seriously, its not as bad now as it was when they first started showing up here, 20+ years ago. They figured out we can be helpful at times.

Yep this started slowly back in the late 1980's when the Boys from Memphis started coming down to hunt with some of their Delta College buddies. Now we got folks from KC and St Louis plus other parts of the county.  Dad's new neighbor from South Carolina , They bought a house just to come and go hunting in.   Found out the boy went to college with a local home town Lawyer.  Just peachy.

WADHOG

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 13, 2014, 09:16:58 am
Yep this started slowly back in the late 1980's when the Boys from Memphis started coming down to hunt with some of their Delta College buddies. Now we got folks from KC and St Louis plus other parts of the county.  Dad's new neighbor from South Carolina , They bought a house just to come and go hunting in.   Found out the boy went to college with a local home town Lawyer.  Just peachy.
Actually it started when our local farmers learned how much money people were willing to spend on pit blinds.  Without the locals taking top bids these folks are stuck hunting public.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: WADHOG on November 14, 2014, 08:43:13 pm
Actually it started when our local farmers learned how much money people were willing to spend on pit blinds.  Without the locals taking top bids these folks are stuck hunting public.

It wasn't the farmers, probably at least 90% rent the ground they farm around here. And with the land owners leasing the hunting rights to other people, the farmers are mostly S.O.L. when it comes to hunting, even though they are feeding the animals with their crops.

WADHOG

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on November 14, 2014, 11:53:55 pm
It wasn't the farmers, probably at least 90% rent the ground they farm around here. And with the land owners leasing the hunting rights to other people, the farmers are mostly S.O.L. when it comes to hunting, even though they are feeding the animals with their crops.
Most large parcel landowners in Jackson county are farmers too