Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I just

Started by Uncle SI, December 13, 2014, 05:51:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle SI

Coach Bob Knight at XNA, he was waiting to catch his flight. We only spoke briefly bc I could tell he wasn't in the mood to talk but he did say Mike has something special this ur and he hopes "that Portis kid" would come back. Just wanted to pass on somewhat of flattering news.
First time, long time, great topic, love the show.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Uncle SI on December 13, 2014, 05:51:40 pm
Coach Bob Knight at XNA, he was waiting to catch his flight. We only spoke briefly bc I could tell he wasn't in the mood to talk but he did say Mike has something special this ur and he hopes "that Portis kid" would come back. Just wanted to pass on somewhat of flattering news.

Glad he didn't dump you in a trashcan or throw a chair at you.  I'm kidding - not about the trashcan and chair Uncle SI.  I have the greatest respect for BK and his opinion.

ricepig

Quote from: Uncle SI on December 13, 2014, 05:51:40 pm

I wish he would speak less in his commentary.

Arazorbackguy1

Did you know he likes consistent play?  He wants 1st half to be just like the second half.  An if it's not, he's going to ask the player why it's not. Again, it's all about consistency, that's right, 1st half of basketball should be exactly like the 2nd.  40 minutes of basketball, not 20.  If it's 20, you gotta ask Jimmy, or whoever the player is, "Jimmy, why are we down 6 or 11??"  Consitency.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on December 13, 2014, 06:01:57 pm
Did you know he likes consistent play?  He wants 1st half to be just like the second half.  An if it's not, he's going to ask the player why it's not. Again, it's all about consistency, that's right, 1st half of basketball should be exactly like the 2nd.  40 minutes of basketball, not 20.  If it's 20, you gotta ask Jimmy, or whoever the player is, "Jimmy, why are we down 6 or 11??"  Consitency.
Sounds like something a good coach would expect and ask.

Did you say "what up Knight?"

Arazorbackguy1

Only he said it about 10 times today for both teams. Viewers got the point.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

hogs25

Quote from: ricepig on December 13, 2014, 05:59:22 pm
I wish he would speak less in his commentary.

Bobby Knight is more interesting than Blake Eddins.  If you listen he teaches you the game.  He called our game last year and pretty much laid out everything we were doing wrong.  I remember on here people were like I hope Mike DVR'd it.

bigred223

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on December 13, 2014, 06:13:09 pm
Only he said it about 10 times today for both teams. Viewers got the point.

Haha he really drove that point home.

ricepig

Quote from: hogs25 on December 13, 2014, 06:13:40 pm
Bobby Knight is more interesting than Blake Eddins.  If you listen he teaches you the game.  He called our game last year and pretty much laid out everything we were doing wrong.  I remember on here people were like I hope Mike DVR'd it.

Who said we wanted Blake?? I can tell you everything we did wrong, not much insight there.

hawgfan4life

fineswine

The Knight bashing is uncalled for.  The last time I checked, he alone, had more national championships to his credit than our football, basketball, and baseball teams combined.

PonderinHog

Quote from: fineswine on December 13, 2014, 06:32:09 pm
The Knight bashing is uncalled for.  The last time I checked, he alone, had more national championships to his credit than our football, basketball, and baseball teams combined.
I hear he's jealous of our track team, though.

rusvegashog

Yeah when he called our game last year he was spot on w his analysis and really brought so much to the telecast. I was kinda mad for even enjoying listening to him cause ive always been anti-Knight, but It wasn't the same today at all. He's either getting old and tired or he just mailed it in.

Acehawg

He talks more about himself than the teams playing on the floor.  He was a better commentator a few years ago, He's gone done hill since then.

(notOM)Rebel123

Yeah, he's a real peach. Quit on his TT team with 10 regular season games left.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Pigasaurus

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 13, 2014, 06:39:48 pm

Just snorted out my candy.  lol
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

HognitiveDissonance

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on December 13, 2014, 06:01:57 pm
Don't forget to show them the videotape of each half and ask them what was the difference between the good/bad half.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

gmarv

well I,m with him on bobby staying in school.people get caught up in the money thing.if bobbys family ain,t hurting for money.he should consider staying
like trey flowers did.

Inhogswetrust

I don't care how many NC's he's won...........As a person I'd rather be known as being nice than a jerk.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Between our former Track coach and Knight if you asked which former multi NC winning coach I'd rather play for, talk too, get pointers from, get life lessons from or have my kid play for it.......I'd choose John every time!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Biggus Piggus

On the broadcast, Knight spoke about Arkansas's home/road problems. ESPN gave a stat showing that since MA has been at Arkansas, the Razorbacks have the worst home/road disparity in all of college basketball. Knight seemed to be saying that preparing differently for road games might cause that. Because Knight said the coach has to get his players to realize that, home or road, it's still basketball, not a different game. The team needs to prepare the same way all the time. You are not going to progress as fast if you spend part of your time changing up everything you do.
[CENSORED]!

Mike Irwin

He's mellowed out over the years. When he first moved to Lubbock he was always getting involved in public incidents. (you can still see some of them on youtube).

A guy I grew up with is the head of the property owners association where Knight lives. That particular subdivision is on the edge of town and is more rural in nature. Typical lots are in the five acre range. He said the first few years Knight lived there he was always having to go and talk to him about various complaints.

One went like this:

Knight: You again? What do you want now?

Property owners rep: Coach, just a reminder your neighbors get a little nervous when you shoot at jackrabbits from your back porch. The discharging of firearms is prohibited within the subdivision. There are plenty of places to hunt around here away from where people live.

Knight: I like shooting jackrabbits from my back porch.

Property owners rep: That's rather obvious. Anyway please don't do it and have a good day.

Knight: Whatever. By the way you have a crappy job.

Property owners rep: That's rather obvious too.

Knight laughed and then shut the door.

fineswine

Sadly, the only time people care about track and field is during the Olympics.  It is a true measure of athletic ability, not skill sets.

Cresthog

I used to like him but he's an ass.

Can win games but is not a good guy and probably doesn't have very many friends. A slightly less sociopathic Bobby Petrino with 3 rings.

Cresthog

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 14, 2014, 10:34:00 am
[smh] [smh] [smh]

Yea strangling players is "normal" human behavior.

Give me a break.