Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

greetings from Dayton

Started by jwmulthup, December 11, 2014, 07:14:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jwmulthup

Just thought I'd drop by and say hello. Looking forward to hopefully an entertaining game Saturday. Our offense is still trying to find its identity this year after losing 4 key guys from our elite eight run last year. Dayton has been winning with some stingy defense this year. Beaten some decent teams in Boston College and Texas A&M with the only lose to Uconn by 9. Unless the offense wakes up I predict you guys should win by around that same amount.

Dr. Starcs

You guys will have a coaching advantage, imo, as Archie is one of the very good up and comers.

We typically play great at home and I expect to win this one but am looking forward to the matchup.

BadHog

Welcome to Hogville. Looking forward to the match up on Saturday. Hogs have suffered two losses that have glaringly exposed weaknesses - one being level of play on the road. Luckily, we will be in BWA against Dayton and we need to this win. I would expect some changes in our starting line up to jump start this team this week. We've been slow starters all year - but we will see.

Hope you make some new friends here! :razorback:
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

jwmulthup

Thanks for the welcome. Yes we are glad to have Archie and hope he sticks around for awhile. Looks like this is a Home and Home series so we will welcome the Razorbacks here next year. We average about 12500 a game but that one should be a sell out which is about 13400. Should be a great atmosphere.

As for this year looks like you guys are a solid tournament team. I'm sure your recent issues will be fixed. I think Dayton is a tournament quality team but need to prove it. We have George tech and Ole Miss at home still to come so hopefully we can build the resume with two wins there.

Biggus Piggus

We are all eager to see what the Hogs will do in this game. The past two games were complete clusters, in different ways. Arkansas has had recurrent chemistry problems ever since the Stan Heath teams. It is hard to explain some of the things going on simply by what happens on the court.

At home, Mike Anderson is comfortable using his full arsenal. It's on the road where he is lost.

Personnel wise, Arkansas has not been right in the backcourt for a long time. This year's team has started 6-5 senior Rashad Madden and 6-3 junior Anthlon Bell at the guards. On the wing, 6-6 Michael Qualls is probably more guard than forward.

Madden and Bell together should be ++ shooters, but they are inconsistent. Neither is a good ballhandler. Madden passes well -- this year so far, he has abandoned his shot and tried hard to be a creator, not always optimal as he can't really drive. Madden is helpful on defense and rebounds a little. Bell's defense has improved, but he hardly rebounds. Neither is what you would call physical. Bell amazes me: He has 33 free throw attempts in 69 career games. Has almost nothing in his game to draw fouls. Madden has 35 free throw attempts this season alone.

So together they are not a strong combination. Coach Anderson has a bias toward his most experienced players, but this is not working out.

Younger guards are trying to blend in, but that's easier to do at home than on the road. The best reserve has been Manuale Watkins, 6-3 sophomore and son of assistant coach Melvin Watkins. Coach Anderson has resorted to Watkins as his top defensive substitute. Watkins is smart as you would expect, defends far better than Madden and Bell do, rebounds better too.

Problem with Watkins - either he defers too much, or he doesn't have an outside shot. When he shoots from outside, it seems like he doesn't know when it's OK for him to shoot. That jerky hesitation makes his shot look like crap. The guy's in his second year, no reason to defer unless he really can't shoot.

Freshman Anton Beard is probably the most promising young guard, though 6-5 Nick Babb has a lot of versatility. Arkansas needs these guys to grow up fast.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Some Dayton questions:

Jordan Sibert (6-4 sr) made 83 3-points last year, shooting 43%, but he has been bad this season. Drawing too much attention from the defense? As a team, Dayton has made only 27% from downtown. The Flyers' 3-point defense, giving up 30%, would be great if not for the team's own shooting problem.

Minutes distribution:

31 G Sibert
29 F Dyshawn Pierre - 6-6 jr
29 G Scoochie Smith - 6-2 so
27 F Devon Scott - 6-9 jr
25 G Kyle Davis - 6-0 so
23 F Kendall Pollard - 6-6 so
18 G Darrell Davis - 6-4 fr
15 F Jalen Robinson - 6-9 jr

Seems like Dayton plays Scott and Robinson exclusively at the low post. Pollard and Pierre rotate at the four some, but they are on court together some too. This seems similar to Arkansas's rotation -- Portis and Kingsley at the low post, Harris and Williams at the four (but they never play together). Difference is Arkansas has Qualls, who dominates the minutes at the three.

What is the strategy with the guard rotation? Does Dayton still play that patient style with great spacing, looking for cuts or kickouts?

How does Dayton play such amazing defense without fouling a lot? Clearly not much effort to block shots. What defensive fundamentals does Archie Miller teach? What's his hoop geneaology?
[CENSORED]!

jwmulthup

You've done your homework. I'll try to answer  to the best of my basketball knowledge.  I guess I can give you my scouting report

Starters
PG Scoochie Smith: Stepped into the starting role this year after lasts years starting PG transferred unexpectedly. Still a work in progress but has a big upside. Struggling shooting the ball from deep and finishing around the basket. Solid every where else.

SG Sibert: As he goes the team goes. Great jump shooter who is struggling this year. Partially just him partially other reasons. Last years team had other outside threats and just simply other offensive weapons which helped spread the floor. It doesn't help that he is not that good going to the basket thus making him an easy scouting report. His confidence isn't there right now but he is such a deadly shot he can't be left open. Probably our worst defender. Also the only senior on the team.

SG Klye Davis: He is our best guard defensively and always gets the toughest assignment. He is a high energy guy that the rest of the team feeds off of. Terrible shooter who is best driving the ball but don't worry if you foul him doing so because he is terrible at the line.

F Pierre: By far our best player. Nba talent who is almost unstoppable when he gets the ball in the paint. Don't let his unorthodox shooting style foul you because if left open he can make the three ball. My biggest complaint is that his play often reflects his personality which is shy and reserved. He would be an absolute stud if he just would be more assertive. He is a great passer too.

F Scott: He has become our Anchor down low and our vocal leader. Our best post defender, if he gets in foul trouble we're hurting.

The bench:

PG Bass: 5th year transfer from Oakland university in Michigan with immediate eligibility. Still recovering from a really bad concussion and is seeing a few minutes now. Small but quick with a high basketball IQ.

CG Darrell Davis: Skinny freshman with some offensive skills you just can't teach. More of a shooting guard stuck playing the point due to the injury to Bass and its been tough for the freshman. We really need to get him contributing offensively like he is capable.

F Pollard: plays a lot bigger than his 6'6" height with long arms and crazy mad hops. High energy guy who plays with reckless abandon. If he gets a defensive rebound down low plan on seeing him trying to take it coast to coast with no plan to give it up. He is shooting a lot of free throws but rest easy because he sucks at it. He is foul trouble prone.

F Robinson: This guy everyone in Dayton thought was the real deal coming out of high school but hasn't amounted to it.  He has some nice offensive skill but seems to lack the work ethic.

F Wurley: walk on big man might get minutes if there is foul issues.

I think we are commenting so few fouls thanks to great coaching and scouting report off the court, on the court its high IQ, great footwork, help defense and flat out determination. Strictly man to man, if you see any zone I'd be surprised. Hopefully this answered your questions.

jwmulthup

Yes Scott and Robinson would be essentially the 5 spot.  When Pollard is in that slides Pierre to the 3 which is his true position. Due to injuries we've got a lot of guys out of position

Kevin

if you can handle the ball, and dominate the boards, you will put yourself in position to win the game.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

mhuff

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 11, 2014, 08:53:53 am
We are all eager to see what the Hogs will do in this game. The past two games were complete clusters, in different ways. Arkansas has had recurrent chemistry problems ever since the Stan Heath teams. It is hard to explain some of the things going on simply by what happens on the court.

At home, Mike Anderson is comfortable using his full arsenal. It's on the road where he is lost.

Personnel wise, Arkansas has not been right in the backcourt for a long time. This year's team has started 6-5 senior Rashad Madden and 6-3 junior Anthlon Bell at the guards. On the wing, 6-6 Michael Qualls is probably more guard than forward.

Madden and Bell together should be ++ shooters, but they are inconsistent. Neither is a good ballhandler. Madden passes well -- this year so far, he has abandoned his shot and tried hard to be a creator, not always optimal as he can't really drive. Madden is helpful on defense and rebounds a little. Bell's defense has improved, but he hardly rebounds. Neither is what you would call physical. Bell amazes me: He has 33 free throw attempts in 69 career games. Has almost nothing in his game to draw fouls. Madden has 35 free throw attempts this season alone.

So together they are not a strong combination. Coach Anderson has a bias toward his most experienced players, but this is not working out.

Younger guards are trying to blend in, but that's easier to do at home than on the road. The best reserve has been Manuale Watkins, 6-3 sophomore and son of assistant coach Melvin Watkins. Coach Anderson has resorted to Watkins as his top defensive substitute. Watkins is smart as you would expect, defends far better than Madden and Bell do, rebounds better too.

Problem with Watkins - either he defers too much, or he doesn't have an outside shot. When he shoots from outside, it seems like he doesn't know when it's OK for him to shoot. That jerky hesitation makes his shot look like crap. The guy's in his second year, no reason to defer unless he really can't shoot.

Freshman Anton Beard is probably the most promising young guard, though 6-5 Nick Babb has a lot of versatility. Arkansas needs these guys to grow up fast.

Good observation..... I am not sure why Babb is not playing more.... He has consistently stopped players who have attempted to go to the basket, shooting %'s good, and he doesn't turn it over. I hate to see less talented players get the PT who are not as reliable. Also, not playing Thompson is going to come back and haunt us.....

Watkins plays good defense ,but his shot shows no confidence.

MA gives up on the road..... It's like we can't play pressure defense because the refs are going to call fouls on us..... That attitude is getting us beat. We need to take it to em wherever we play..... We have the depth. We can't tire out the opposition if we don't do anything to tire them out.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: jwmulthup on December 11, 2014, 10:36:11 am
SG Sibert: As he goes the team goes. Great jump shooter who is struggling this year. Partially just him partially other reasons. Last years team had other outside threats and just simply other offensive weapons which helped spread the floor. It doesn't help that he is not that good going to the basket thus making him an easy scouting report. His confidence isn't there right now but he is such a deadly shot he can't be left open. Probably our worst defender. Also the only senior on the team.

Sibert will have a career day against Arkansas. It's what happens.
[CENSORED]!