Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How minutes should be used

Started by hogman99, December 10, 2014, 10:03:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogman99

For all those out there saying look at Louisville and how their aggressive defense works, I agree.

Now look at their box score and see the starter's minutes vs. the bench minutes.  As you will see, the coaches know who needs to be playing, the kind of minutes they should and can play.  Also, UL's defense is much more intense than ours and these players have no issue logging more than 30 minutes a game.  In other words, they "Pick them up off the damn bus!!"

Watch them when you get a chance and see the fundamental half-court defense and the offensive sets.  Their stud player, stays with 15 feet of the basket and spends most of the time in the lane area. His team also understands he is the focal point and must touch the ball.  I would love to see Portis and Kingsley hanging out in that area. Maybe we will see that against Dayton.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400587836

nwahogfan1

I agree with you.  But Louisville has the right players to play this system.  They have very athletic players who are very intense.  We don't have that class of athletes yet.  So what should we do?  I say adjust the defense to match you personnel until you get the athletes you need. 

WE have to adjust our defense to stop penetrating and scoring or kicking out to open 3 point shooters.  We have to adjust our defense to keep from giving up so many offensive rebounds and kick backs.

Good coaches adjust every year with changes in talent.  You have to listen to what you have.

Biggus Piggus

You have hit on something - Pitino has evolved this style very well. His team has incredible defense numbers. They are terrible at outside shooting and free throws, just awful. Also not very good at handling the basketball. But they make up for it by playing a style of defense that forces gobs of turnovers without ruining defensive rebounding, without fouling much, while holding opponents to miserably low shooting %.

Louisville does not pretend to have a "wear down the opponent" strategy. They aim to disrupt the opposing team's effort to score + dominate the boards.

They play pressure defense by trying to prevent passes and shots. Louisville gets a lot of steals but does not gamble to do it. Steals come by forcing the ballhandler to make a bad pass. They coach defensive position not ball-chasing.

That said, Indiana shot fine against Louisville. The Cards were +7 in turnover margin with 72% defensive rebounding and 52% on the offensive end. Those are great rebounding numbers, if you don't know.

Part of Pitino's formula is recruiting. His power forward Montrezl Harrell is shooting 73% inside. Awful free throw shooter, but he blocks shots and rebounds, really knows how to get to the hoop.

Louisville played four guys 33-37 minutes last night, and it might have diminished their defense. Having three guys score 71 points made up for that. Game was at Madison Square Garden.

Except against the weakest opponents, Harrell stays on court 30+ minutes. PG Chris Jones and G Terry Rozier are usually over 30. Wayne Blackshear, a 6-5 swingman, is usually around 30. That's four guys over 30 minutes a game.

Bigs rotate through the other position. Two reserve guards get meaningful minutes.

If Pitino coached Arkansas, I bet he would start Beard, Watkins, Qualls, Portis and Kingsley.

Williams and Thompson would back up the frontcourt. Madden and Harris would support the three. Babb and Bell would be reserve guards, along with Durham.
[CENSORED]!

hogman99

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 10, 2014, 11:47:15 am
I agree with you.  But Louisville has the right players to play this system.  They have very athletic players who are very intense.  We don't have that class of athletes yet.  So what should we do?  I say adjust the defense to match you personnel until you get the athletes you need. 

WE have to adjust our defense to stop penetrating and scoring or kicking out to open 3 point shooters.  We have to adjust our defense to keep from giving up so many offensive rebounds and kick backs.

Good coaches adjust every year with changes in talent.  You have to listen to what you have.

Correct, we don't have that class of athlete in Year 4 of CMA.  That should tell you CMA will never have those types of athletes to run this style.  In other words, CMA can't recruit and needs to adjust his style to the type of athlete he can recruit or we need to go in a different direction with our coaching staff.  I choose the latter since he has been unable to prove he can make changes/adjustments before, during and after games.

poloprince

Some of you kill me when you compare Ark basketball to the likes of Louisville.  Comparing MA to Pitino is down right stupid. Comparing the hogs roster to theirs is even more stupid.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: poloprince on December 10, 2014, 05:55:23 pm
Some of you kill me when you compare Ark basketball to the likes of Louisville.  Comparing MA to Pitino is down right stupid. Comparing the hogs roster to theirs is even more stupid.

Are we aspiring to being back on the level of Louisville again? 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

poloprince

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 10, 2014, 06:11:42 pm
Are we aspiring to being back on the level of Louisville again?

Sure we are, but even Nolan didn't have the program at a championship level in year 4.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: poloprince on December 10, 2014, 05:55:23 pm

Your comments are drivel. Try saying something that has a thought in it.
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: poloprince on December 10, 2014, 06:16:13 pm
Sure we are, but even Nolan didn't have the program at a championship level in year 4.

Yes.  But that wasn't what the discussion was about before your earlier post.  It was about how Pitino has evolved as a coach.  Mike is in his 13th season as a head coach.  Is he evolving or adjusting with the game?  Maybe he shouldn't and doesn't need to do so if you want to try to make that argument. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

poloprince

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 10, 2014, 06:23:46 pm
Your comments are drivel. Try saying something that has a thought in it.

I don't have time for all that. I'm not an escaped journalist. I just crunch numbers all day at the bank trying to prevent losses.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Biggus Piggus

This whole discussion ... it is obvious that MA is trying to evolve, because he certainly has not stuck to the formula of using constant pressure to wear down opponents. Unfortunately, the Hogs did nothing that was recognizable in the past two games. I just wish he'd manage using a broader set of metrics. You can play disruptive defense without sacrificing rebounding, without fouling like crazy.
[CENSORED]!

poloprince

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 10, 2014, 06:26:51 pm
Yes.  But that wasn't what the discussion was about before your earlier post.  It was about how Pitino has evolved as a coach.  Mike is in his 13th season as a head coach.  Is he evolving or adjusting with the game?  Maybe he shouldn't and doesn't need to do so if you want to try to make that argument.

And Pitino has been a head coach for 30 years. In 17 years who knows what can happen.
$PoLoPrInCe$

bigred223

If there is one thing this team has it's athleticism. Having athletes is not the issue. The issue is lack of discipline on defensive switches and just not playing smart. When we stop switching Portis/Kingsley onto the point guard, leaving two obvious mismatches in the half court, we will be a lot more successful.

HF#1

I think that loss at Clemson may have scared Mike a little bit.  Or at least opened his eyes.  I think he believed, as most of us did, that we should have won that game going away.  Road game be darned.  We should have dominated.

I'm interested to see what adjustments he has made come Saturday.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ballz2thewall

Quote from: poloprince on December 10, 2014, 06:34:51 pm
And Pitino has been a head coach for 30 years. In 17 years who knows what can happen.

i think you're missing the point there, slick.
The rest of the frog.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 10, 2014, 11:47:15 am
I agree with you.  But Louisville has the right players to play this system.  They have very athletic players who are very intense.  We don't have that class of athletes yet. So what should we do?  I say adjust the defense to match you personnel until you get the athletes you need. 

Like another poster said. This is year 4. MA has all but ONE player that he recruited (Madden). If he doesn't have his class of athlete yet then that's strictly on him. We currently have good players but as of right now we have too many "ME" players (Madden, Qualls, Williams takes too many shots for my liking, Harris). And some of our players aren't real interested in playing defense. We haven't been picking up that damn bear against decent competition. 

When MA came here I thought we could possibly be something like Louisville. We are faaaarrrrr from it.

hogman99

Quote from: RazorPiggie on December 12, 2014, 09:38:44 am
Like another poster said. This is year 4. MA has all but ONE player that he recruited (Madden). If he doesn't have his class of athlete yet then that's strictly on him. We currently have good players but as of right now we have too many "ME" players (Madden, Qualls, Williams takes too many shots for my liking, Harris). And some of our players aren't real interested in playing defense. We haven't been picking up that damn bear against decent competition. 

When MA came here I thought we could possibly be something like Louisville. We are faaaarrrrr from it.

Well said. Lots of work left to do to make this a good team.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogman99 on December 10, 2014, 01:48:52 pm
Correct, we don't have that class of athlete in Year 4 of CMA.  That should tell you CMA will never have those types of athletes to run this style.  In other words, CMA can't recruit and needs to adjust his style to the type of athlete he can recruit or we need to go in a different direction with our coaching staff.  I choose the latter since he has been unable to prove he can make changes/adjustments before, during and after games.

And exactly who is the next great Razorback men's basketball coach ???
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: RazorPiggie on December 12, 2014, 09:38:44 am

And isn't he the turnover machine that everyone's been harping on ???
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hogman99

hogman99

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on December 12, 2014, 09:52:59 am
And exactly who is the next great Razorback men's basketball coach ???

I'll take the head coach of the team we are playing Saturday, Archie Miller.

ballz2thewall

this will come across as smartass, but

if we have athletic but not intense players,

then what do we do?
The rest of the frog.

mhuff

December 13, 2014, 11:31:02 am #22 Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 11:45:37 am by mhuff
Quote from: ballz2thewall on December 12, 2014, 12:50:49 pm
this will come across as smartass, but

if we have athletic but not intense players,

then what do we do?

Ballz, I have never appreciated the argument , " These aren't MA's players." I believe a great coach can get players and in two years be able to rock and roll. We have given MA three years and this is his fourth. This is the year to produce or start updating your resume. In the oil business there is a saying, "If you can't get it brother, you can't stay. "It's just the way it is. What are we paying MA to do? He has this year ,and that is all he deserves.

Ballz, a good coach will take players of varying abilities and find ways to win..... not give games away. MA finds ways to lose by not being prepared. It's like paralysis in tight situations. This is his 4th year..... not his first. Now we are entering a stretch of games that we should win easily. You can't judge everything on home rent a wins.