Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

a new coach won't help

Started by lefty08, December 07, 2014, 07:28:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

Brad hopefully will replace Coach K. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kevin

Quote from: -Blu on December 08, 2014, 01:39:34 pm
Who?  I'd be curious to see your list of candidates, because I can't think of one that would be an immediate upgrade that would instantly turn the program around, that would come to Arkansas.  This isn't Football, where coaches are lined up waiting for an opportunity to coach in the SEC.  SEC basketball is arguably the worst basketball conference of the power 5 right now.  Our last couple of coaching searches should show you how many high quality candidates are willing to come to Arkansas for basketball.  Mike Anderson was the best coach we could get at the time, and really the only reason we got him is because of his prior ties here.  I'm as big of hog fan as you'll see, I want us to win, I've been depressed all day because of our loss.  But, I'm just being realistic, a coaching change at this point is just going to be another set back.

If we were to have a coaching vacancy next year, I can assure you our list of candidates would be guys from these pools.

-Former NBA coach that can't get an NBA job and comes back to college temporarily. (Eddie Jordan - Rutgers, Larry Brown - SMU)

-Up and coming coach from a mid-major or lesser division (See Tennessee and Mizzou)

-Older Coach that is out of his prime (Tubby Smith type)

-Former coach with decent name recognition that's now a basketball analyst or doing something else because he struggled at his prior destination. (Seth Greenberg type)

wait another year, let the celtics fire brad stevens.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Wild Bill Hog

You guys apparently need to remember we are pore li'l ol' Orkisaw.  No one would want to come here to coach.

Looks like the Nutt Huggers have found another name to use in their old fill-in-the-blank posts.  Too bad they don't realize that the "we couldn't get anybody better argument" doesn't do anything for their argument that we need to keep MA than it did for their argument that we needed to keep HDN.

Hawg Red

It will be tough to replace Anderson with any kind of established coach. Firstly, because it's just tough to do that, anyway. Second, a lot of coaches will look at the situation and be scared off by Mike Anderson not being able to succeed at Arkansas. That will sound a lot of alarms.

It's really in everyone's best interests to let this thing ride out and hope it works with Anderson. Losing to Clemson is tough, because they aren't good, but it's not the end the of season and it's not the end of a tournament hopes. We've already beaten a better school in a tougher environment (SMU). It's early December and this is college basketball we're talking about here. Lot is going to change be Selection Sunday. Is there cause for concern after blowing a road game against a bad team and getting blown out by a good one? Sure. There has to be because, in particular, the loss to Clemson shows we're still not a consistent road team. But last year's team won 3 SEC road games and a neutral court game, and came very close to winning a couple of others on the road in conference play. Still not time to panic but definitely not fun times as the non-conference season went from riding high with confidence for many to pretty sour in just the span of a few days. I figure these new guards will be having a much better impact on the game in late January and on.

-Blu

Quote from: psooie on December 08, 2014, 01:47:24 pm
I'm sure the coach coming into BWA on saturday  would take the job. I like greg marshall or tad boyle with a big offer but not sure if either would jump. THe point is there might came a time when a changing coaches is worth the risk. MA should get 5 years now but if the team is erratic and barley making the tourney, a change needs to happen. The truth is MA future at Arkansas for the next few years will depend on his ability to recruit more than anything else, bring monk and hard to go wrong. Watch him go to say UK  and MA will have issues.

So, exactly what I said, a Mid-Major guy that's on the come up would be the best option.

Archie Miller is actually a realistic pick, I agree he would be a guy that would be a contender for the job.  Top tier Mid-Major coach.  But, put his resume next to Mike Anderson's and who has a better resume?  CMA has won at a higher level, has a better winning percentage, and has done it at a high major school.  Nothing in Archie Miller's resume shows us he can build up a high major program, and the biggest question is even if he can, how long will it take?

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 08, 2014, 01:59:05 pm
It will be tough to replace Anderson with any kind of established coach. Firstly, because it's just tough to do that, anyway. Second, a lot of coaches will look at the situation and be scared off by Mike Anderson not being able to succeed at Arkansas. That will sound a lot of alarms.

It's really in everyone's best interests to let this thing ride out and hope it works with Anderson. Losing to Clemson is tough, because they aren't good, but it's not the end the of season and it's not the end of a tournament hopes. We've already beaten a better school in a tougher environment (SMU). It's early December and this is college basketball we're talking about here. Lot is going to change be Selection Sunday. Is there cause for concern after blowing a road game against a bad team and getting blown out by a good one? Sure. There has to be because, in particular, the loss to Clemson shows we're still not a consistent road team. But last year's team won 3 SEC road games and a neutral court game, and came very close to winning a couple of others on the road in conference play. Still not time to panic but definitely not fun times as the non-conference season went from riding high with confidence for many to pretty sour in just the span of a few days. I figure these new guards will be having a much better impact on the game in late January and on.

Good thing none of the teams we play will get any better between now and late January and on.

-Blu

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on December 08, 2014, 01:58:50 pm
You guys apparently need to remember we are pore li'l ol' Orkisaw.  No one would want to come here to coach.

Looks like the Nutt Huggers have found another name to use in their old fill-in-the-blank posts.  Too bad they don't realize that the "we couldn't get anybody better argument" doesn't do anything for their argument that we need to keep MA than it did for their argument that we needed to keep HDN.

No idea what your talking about man.  Something about Houston Nutt?

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on December 08, 2014, 01:51:32 pm
LOL!  I'm not laughing at you because of that selection, but because I was just about to edit my post, and add maybe we can get a college coach that failed in the NBA and comes back.  That would be the best case scenario, but Brad is going to get at least another couple of years with the Celtics.  He has a really young and inexperienced team, and he has them competitive in the East, I think he's going to make it in the NBA.

I've been following him with the Celtics, and he is doing a great job with a terrible roster.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on December 08, 2014, 02:02:22 pm
Good thing none of the teams we play will get any better between now and late January and on.

I'm sure some of them will. But I'm only concerned with the Hogs getting better. We have a good team but it looks like we just need some more time to gel. All of the coaching stuff with Anderson is going to be there regardless, so the players just have to be better. We could have put that thing away yesterday with just a mistake or two less by the guards.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 08, 2014, 02:05:12 pm
I've been following him with the Celtics, and he is doing a great job with a terrible roster.

Yep, he sure is.  That's why I don't think he'll be available at least for another couple of years.  Celtics management would be fools to let him go, lesser coaches would have this team with only 3-4 wins at this point in the season with that roster.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 08, 2014, 02:08:15 pm
We could have put that thing away yesterday with just a mistake or two less by the guards.

I keep thinking we're up by 6 points with 1:15 to go.  How in the world do we lose this.  People are blaming it on Mike, and I think he could have done some things better for sure (Like continuing to get Portis the ball, like we did at the start of the second half).  But, coaching didn't lose us this game,  our guards down the stretch just completely blew it.  A 6-8 point win would have been nice, which we should have got, if our guards would have just valued the ball, and ran the clock, and forced them to foul.

Atlhogfan1

Coaching success is a lot about timing.

We are 2 for 3 in hiring up and comers during our basketball program's modern history.  Eddie and Nolan worked and Stan didn't have near enough success.

We got the 3 before they went to a major program and had success.  In the case of Eddie and Nolan, their first big success was at Arkansas.  Eddie was able to repeat it at Ok St. 

Mike had success at a mid major and then a very successful season at a major program.  Can he repeat this for a 3rd time?  Did we miss the window with Mike of not having him during the years he was winning at Mizzou?

Hiring a mid major up and comer is usually the option for any program.  Getting a Calipari or Pitino is rare.  You hope to get the next Eddie, Nolan or Donovan. 

Disclaimer:  Mike isn't going anywhere.

Brad Stevens is going to coach Duke! ;D
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on December 08, 2014, 02:14:10 pm
I keep thinking we're up by 6 points with 1:15 to go.  How in the world do we lose this.  People are blaming it on Mike, and I think he could have done some things better for sure (Like continuing to get Portis the ball, like we did at the start of the second half).  But, coaching didn't lose us this game,  our guards down the stretch just completely blew it.  A 6-8 point win would have been nice, which we should have got, if our guards would have just valued the ball, and ran the clock, and forced them to foul.

Yep. Guys like Madden looked like they just forgot how to play down the stretch. It was brutal how incapable they were of allowing us to get any kind of look on offense late in regulation.

Champs04

Anderson said we would pick them up on the bus. If you want a ticket you better get it now cause we are going to sell the place out every night. I want us to win games we should win and win a couple we shouldn't and I'm fine. We shouldn't have lost the last two games though.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Champs04 on December 08, 2014, 02:19:49 pm
Anderson said we would pick them up on the bus. If you want a ticket you better get it now cause we are going to sell the place out every night. I want us to win games we should win and win a couple we shouldn't and I'm fine. We shouldn't have lost the last two games though.

Ok, I will give you we shouldn't have lost vs. Clemson. But what in the world makes you think we should have gone to Iowa State and beaten them?

-Blu

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 08, 2014, 02:16:54 pm
Coaching success is a lot about timing.

We are 2 for 3 in hiring up and comers during our basketball program's modern history.  Eddie and Nolan worked and Stan didn't have near enough success.

We got the 3 before they went to a major program and had success.  In the case of Eddie and Nolan, their first big success was at Arkansas.  Eddie was able to repeat it at Ok St. 

Mike had success at a mid major and then a very successful season at a major program.  Can he repeat this for a 3rd time?  Did we miss the window with Mike of not having him during the years he was winning at Mizzou?

Hiring a mid major up and comer is usually the option for any program.  Getting a Calipari or Pitino is rare.  You hope to get the next Eddie, Nolan or Donovan. 

Disclaimer:  Mike isn't going anywhere.

Brad Stevens is going to coach Duke! ;D

We're 2/4 in hiring up and comers.  You forgot Pelphrey. 

And your right most programs do have to hire up and comers, you'll have an exception for the top tier programs.  And you got fans that act like we're one of those exceptions, that's clearly not the case. 

And I'm glad you brought up that example, even when we got a home run up and comer, it still took them a few years to build up the program.  So, if we do what some have suggested, based on history, we have a 50/50 chance of getting a coach that works out, and even then, we are still going to be another few years away from being relevant.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: -Blu on December 08, 2014, 02:39:49 pm
We're 2/4 in hiring up and comers.  You forgot Pelphrey. 

And your right most programs do have to hire up and comers, you'll have an exception for the top tier programs.  And you got fans that act like we're one of those exceptions, that's clearly not the case. 

And I'm glad you brought up that example, even when we got a home run up and comer, it still took them a few years to build up the program.  So, if we do what some have suggested, based on history, we have a 50/50 chance of getting a coach that works out, and even then, we are still going to be another few years away from being relevant.

Didn't forget Pelphrey.  He was intentionally left out.  He was no up and comer. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 08, 2014, 02:40:58 pm
Didn't forget Pelphrey.  He was intentionally left out.  He was no up and comer. 

Haha, that is going to upset the closet Pelphrey lovers around here.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 08, 2014, 02:42:32 pm
Haha, that is going to upset the closet Pelphrey lovers around here.

I think I was one of the few who felt really bad for him from the sense he was never qualified nor close to ready for a job like ours or the situation with the scholarships he inherited.  That was not an up and comer hire.  That was desperation. 

-Blu

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 08, 2014, 02:40:58 pm

lol

The_Iceman

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 08, 2014, 02:46:00 pm
I think I was one of the few who felt really bad for him from the sense he was never qualified nor close to ready for a job like ours or the situation with the scholarships he inherited.  That was not an up and comer hire.  That was desperation. 

No, I was right there with you. I said back then, we shouldn't blame Pelphrey. I wasn't even mad at him when he got fired. He should have never been hired for a position like Arkansas. He was in way over his head.

Champs04

Maybe we shouldn't have won but if we play some defense at Iowa State at least we had a chance!

Razorback_2007

It's incredibly disappointing to see and ultimately endure the disappointments of our bb program. We SHOULD have went to the NCAAT last year and couldn't come up with the fight to simply win one of the two games that would've clinched it....then we got to the NIT...and score what...8 in the first half. Our road woes did show signs of improvement last year we got a huge road win at Lexington and played strong in tough losses. I really thought this year was the year we turned a corner and the optimism in me says we still may. However, the last two outings are simply unacceptable to a fan base that has any expectations. We looked dumb as hell the last 1:30 of the Clemson game. The fact is MA is and will be our coach I'm not giving up hope because I'm scared of another Pelphery situation. MA is a proven coach...I simply don't have any explanation for what we see and have seen with our program the last 12 or so years. I'm tired of teams going off on us and guys having career days. I don't understand why MA can't seem to make in game adjustments. I don't get why Portis and Kingsley aren't a mainstay on the floor together. I don't get our one track mindset of jacking a contested jump shot and having no set play to get open or have an inside game....I'm just tired. My $.02
IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE ROAD YOUR LIFE IS ON...PAVE A NEW ONE

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: -Blu on December 08, 2014, 02:03:26 pm
No idea what your talking about man.  Something about Houston Nutt?

Houston Nutt = Mike Anderson = SSDD, but then "who could we get that's any better?"  Same argument used by both sets of groupies.  Many are the same people truth be told.

-Blu

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on December 08, 2014, 07:23:24 pm
Houston Nutt = Mike Anderson = SSDD, but then "who could we get that's any better?"  Same argument used by both sets of groupies.  Many are the same people truth be told.

What does SSDD mean, I'm up to date on most internet lingo, but never heard that.

How can you compare SEC football and SEC basketball?  You can get a pretty decent coach from another league to come to the SEC for football, that's clearly not the case for SEC basketball.  You want proof of that you can go look at the latest SEC football hires and the latest SEC basketball hires, it's not even a debate.

And since we are all "groupies" incapable of thinking logically, could you give a list of potential candidates that would be willing to come to Arkansas, with a better resume than Mike Anderson?

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: -Blu on December 08, 2014, 07:48:39 pm
What does SSDD mean, I'm up to date on most internet lingo, but never heard that.

How can you compare SEC football and SEC basketball?  You can get a pretty decent coach from another league to come to the SEC for football, that's clearly not the case for SEC basketball.  You want proof of that you can go look at the latest SEC football hires and the latest SEC basketball hires, it's not even a debate.

And since we are all "groupies" incapable of thinking logically, could you give a list of potential candidates that would be willing to come to Arkansas, with a better resume than Mike Anderson?

Google SSDD - it's really not that hard to do.  You do know how to use Google don't you?  There are probably plenty of coaches who would come to Arkansas for what he is making.  There are probably many young and hungry (two things MA isn't) coaches who would come for half of what MA is making.

This "provide a list" stuff is really silly and you know it.  No one (which includes both you and me) knows who would and who wouldn't come to Arkansas or any other place to coach.

-Blu

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on December 08, 2014, 08:11:43 pm
Google SSDD - it's really not that hard to do.  You do know how to use Google don't you?  There are probably plenty of coaches who would come to Arkansas for what he is making.  There are probably many young and hungry (two things MA isn't) coaches who would come for half of what MA is making.

This "provide a list" stuff is really silly and you know it.  No one (which includes both you and me) knows who would and who wouldn't come to Arkansas or any other place to coach.

See, I was trying to be nice to you, because I figured you were one of those guys that just came over from MMQB, and didn't know much about basketball, so I was going to try a different approach and try to have a civil conversation, but since you want to throw insults and challenge my intelligence I'll go ahead and embarrass you real fast.

First off, the statement "For the money we pay him plenty of coaches would come".  That's gotta be the most ignorant statement I've ever heard.  Name a high major school that cares about basketball, that can't afford to pay their coach a similar salary.  Auburn, who's a traditional a horrible basketball school, is paying Bruce Pearl 2.2 million dollars per year, and they don't give a crap about basketball.

Second, If there are "plenty" of coaches out there that would come and take this money, where in the world are they at?  Because I wanna know where they were at when we hired John Pelphrey.  Dana Altman, took the job, looked at the program, and left after one day.  Maybe you should use google to find out who our last 2 coaches were before Anderson, and then come back in here and try to make an argument that there are "plenty of coaches" that want to take this job.  Plenty of Mid-Major coaches...

Third, you should stay in MMQB and continue rambling about Houston Nutt (I had no idea people even still talked about him), because it's obvious from just reading a handful of your post history, you know absolutely nothing about college basketball, SEC basketball, or even Arkansas basketball.

I can't believe somebody would actually come in here and try to compare hiring in SEC football to SEC basketball, while rambling about Houston Nutt, and then have the nerve to try to challenge someone's intelligence.  You MMQB guys... I can't wait until we start this winning streak back up Saturday, so you guys will go back home with all this crap.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: -Blu on December 08, 2014, 08:50:40 pm
See, I was trying to be nice to you, because I figured you were one of those guys that just came over from MMQB, and didn't know much about basketball, so I was going to try a different approach and try to have a civil conversation, but since you want to throw insults and challenge my intelligence I'll go ahead and embarrass you real fast.

First off, the statement "For the money we pay him plenty of coaches would come".  That's gotta be the most ignorant statement I've ever heard.  Name a high major school that cares about basketball, that can't afford to pay their coach a similar salary.  Auburn, who's a traditional a horrible basketball school, is paying Bruce Pearl 2.2 million dollars per year, and they don't give a crap about basketball.

Second, If there are "plenty" of coaches out there that would come and take this money, where in the world are they at?  Because I wanna know where they were at when we hired John Pelphrey.  Dana Altman, took the job, looked at the program, and left after one day.  Maybe you should use google to find out who our last 2 coaches were before Anderson, and then come back in here and try to make an argument that there are "plenty of coaches" that want to take this job.  Plenty of Mid-Major coaches...

Third, you should stay in MMQB and continue rambling about Houston Nutt (I had no idea people even still talked about him), because it's obvious from just reading a handful of your post history, you know absolutely nothing about college basketball, SEC basketball, or even Arkansas basketball.

I can't believe somebody would actually come in here and try to compare hiring in SEC football to SEC basketball, while rambling about Houston Nutt, and then have the nerve to try to challenge someone's intelligence.  You MMQB guys... I can't wait until we start this winning streak back up Saturday, so you guys will go back home with all this crap.
Are you satisfied with where the Arkansas Razorback Basketball program is 8 games into year 4?  That is the question.
All Gas, No Brakes!

-Blu

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 08, 2014, 09:46:21 pm
Are you satisfied with where the Arkansas Razorback Basketball program is 8 games into year 4?  That is the question.

Satisfied?  I would say yes. We're 1 game off my prediction at this point, with a 28 RPI, and still receiving votes in the Poll.  After this road trip I had us as 7-1, rather than 6-2.  Most people thought we would lose 2 out of 3 of these road games, so it's nothing that's shocking to those that follow college basketball.  That's why some of us have a hard time understanding the panic from some of you guys, because that's college basketball, upsets happen every single week, especially on the road.  And I wouldn't even call this loss to Clemson a "major" upset, it didn't even make ESPN highlights, because they are in ACC team, it's not like we lose to Yale or something.  And you can talk about their losses they've had but, every single game they've had has been very close, this is clearly a team that plays up or down to their competition, which is very common amongst a lot of teams in college B-Ball.

With all that said, I am very disappointed in our Clemson lost.  We are a much better team than them, and we had the game won, being up by 6 with 1:15 left.  All we have to do is take care of the ball and we win.  You guys can blame coach Anderson and his system all you want, but we win this game by 6-8 points had our 2 starting guards not make critical mistakes down the stretch.  I don't know what people wanted Mike to do, I'm pretty sure he didn't tell Bell to throw a no look Hail Mary in the back court, and I don't think he told Madden to try to dribble in the middle of 3 players, when the goal is to run the clock down and get a decent shot.  Maybe it's his fault for trusting his upperclassmen?  I don't know.  Hopefully our team comes back stronger from this, and our guards get a little more urgency in late game situations. 

sickboy

Blah, blah, blah. Let's talk later in the season. It's two games.

Pork Twain

This fallacy only exists in the minds of those that utter it.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

jesterzzn

Quote from: lefty08 on December 07, 2014, 07:28:14 pm
All of you saying today that you have "kept quiet until now" and you "didn't agree with the hire" are full of it.

They are simply not very intelligent people.  I agree they are insufferable, but I try to have compassion for the mentally retarded.

dsims2k3

Quote from: -Blu on December 08, 2014, 10:54:42 pm
Satisfied?  I would say yes. We're 1 game off my prediction at this point, with a 28 RPI, and still receiving votes in the Poll.  After this road trip I had us as 7-1, rather than 6-2.  Most people thought we would lose 2 out of 3 of these road games, so it's nothing that's shocking to those that follow college basketball.  That's why some of us have a hard time understanding the panic from some of you guys, because that's college basketball, upsets happen every single week, especially on the road.  And I wouldn't even call this loss to Clemson a "major" upset, it didn't even make ESPN highlights, because they are in ACC team, it's not like we lose to Yale or something.  And you can talk about their losses they've had but, every single game they've had has been very close, this is clearly a team that plays up or down to their competition, which is very common amongst a lot of teams in college B-Ball.

With all that said, I am very disappointed in our Clemson lost.  We are a much better team than them, and we had the game won, being up by 6 with 1:15 left.  All we have to do is take care of the ball and we win.  You guys can blame coach Anderson and his system all you want, but we win this game by 6-8 points had our 2 starting guards not make critical mistakes down the stretch.  I don't know what people wanted Mike to do, I'm pretty sure he didn't tell Bell to throw a no look Hail Mary in the back court, and I don't think he told Madden to try to dribble in the middle of 3 players, when the goal is to run the clock down and get a decent shot.  Maybe it's his fault for trusting his upperclassmen?  I don't know.  Hopefully our team comes back stronger from this, and our guards get a little more urgency in late game situations.
Well said.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

phadedhawg

The collapse vs Clemson is very troubling.  I don't know what Mike could have done to prevent it from happening but Mike is running out of time.  He survives this year mainly out of UA not wanting to do more harm than good.  Next season he will be on a very hot seat.  I don't know if we could get someone better but probably couldn't do much worse.

Pork Twain

Quote from: jesterzzn on December 09, 2014, 10:25:04 am
They are simply not very intelligent people.  I agree they are insufferable, but I try to have compassion for the mentally retarded.
That is not the term that is utilized any more and person-first language is also prefered.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Atlhogfan1

Why isn't the whole game troubling since we allowed a team like Clemson to play even throughout and be in a position win?

Hawg Red

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 09, 2014, 03:10:08 pm
Why isn't the whole game troubling since we allowed a team like Clemson to play even throughout and be in a position win?

Because, on the road, you just want to win?

That'd be my guess. Just get that win when you're away.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 09, 2014, 03:21:41 pm
Because, on the road, you just want to win?

That'd be my guess. Just get that win when you're away.

I guess with our program right now. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 09, 2014, 03:22:37 pm
I guess with our program right now.

Right. Should we be expected to be at the point to where we need to be beating even bad teams by 10+ on the road? I don't think so. We're still needing to get to the point to where we can be expected to beat a bad team on the road any time we play one. Still looking for that consistency. Could come later in the year. We'll see.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 09, 2014, 03:24:42 pm
Right. Should we be expected to be at the point to where we need to be beating even bad teams by 10+ on the road? I don't think so. We're still needing to get to the point to where we can be expected to beat a bad team on the road any time we play one. Still looking for that consistency. Could come later in the year. We'll see.

We played poorly beyond just the final minute of regulation.  But only that minute is troubling for some.

How many more games or seasons do we wait before this isn't acceptable? 

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 09, 2014, 03:31:46 pm
We played poorly beyond just the final minute of regulation.  But only that minute is troubling for some.

Until everyone who was born before 1994 stops watching completely :)

Hawg Red

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 09, 2014, 03:31:46 pm

Guess it just depends on whether or not you think we've made any improvement on the road or away from BWA under Anderson. I do. I think the proof is there on last year's schedule and there's some proof on this year's schedule already. Wasn't too long ago, we could only beat Auburn on the road. We've beaten Minnesota, SMU, and Kentucky away from BWA the last 1.2 seasons. Progress is being made, but like I said, the consistency still isn't there. Could it come at some point this season? I think it could. This thing is still in the building and growing stage. Granted, it's in the advanced stages, but it's still pretty early and lost a lot of veteran guards. I think Beard and Durham will able to adapt at some point early in conference play and then I'll have my answer. Can't speak for anyone else.

Look, my post history is there for everyone to see. I've been known to show Anderson no quarter. I have concerns. Always have. But it is still early yet. This group can't be expected to be playing as cohesively as you would expect a group to be playing in, say, late January. Teams all around the country are struggling with various things right now. Some of them are things that have been going on for some time, like our road woes. They can be overcome. A week ago, the sky was not falling. I know the Clemson loss was bad -- we should have won that one. But I had us 1-2 the whole time, just had us beating Clemson and losing to SMU (the better team of the two). The fact that we beat SMU shows that we can win on the road. Just because our guards let us down against Clemson, doesn't mean they will in the next road game. Everyone (including myself) kinda lost it after that 2-6 start to SEC play last season and look what happened. We lost to a really good team and a not good team, both on the road. Welcome to early December college basketball. There's an eternity for things to change.

But to answer your question -- wait or don't wait as long as you want. The goal for all fans is still the same for this season -- make the NCAA tournament. I don't see how we've lost that opportunity just yet.

latrops

It's not about being "pore li'l ol' Orkisaw".  It is about the difficulty for any program other than Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, and Kentucky to get a quality, established coach to leave somewhere they are having success.  Just look at the other major conference teams that made moves this offseason.

Tennessee got LaTech's Donnie Tyndall. 
Oregon State hired Wayne Tinkle.
Mizzou went with Kim Anderson.
Auburn got the successful but tarnished Bruce Pearl.
Cal got Cuonzo Martin.
Wake Forest hired Danny Manning.
Boston College went with Jim Christian.
Marquette - Steve Wojciechowski
Washington State - Ernie Kent
South Florida - Orlando Antigua
Virginia Tech - Buzz Williams

There are certainly some good coaches in this group.  It is a decent mix of up and comers and established semi-successful guys.  Not many Final Fours on these resumes, though. 

Everyone wants Shaka Smart and Gregg Marshall.  That's fine, it makes sense.  You don't expect a successful coach to stay at VCU or Wichita State forever.  Eventually they will leave and when/if we have an opening we should take our shot.  However, the list above is more indicative of the type of coach we should expect next time we have an opening.  I'd be fine with a handful of those guys. It's not about having our sites set too low or having some sort of inferiority complex...it is simply that the top basketball coaches seldom move, and usually when they do it is often for a program with a few national championship banners hanging in the rafters.

mhuff

December 09, 2014, 06:08:16 pm #93 Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:55:50 pm by mhuff
Quote from: lefty08 on December 07, 2014, 07:28:14 pm
All of you saying today that you have "kept quiet until now" and you "didn't agree with the hire" are full of it. Nothing has happened in the last 3 year's to cause you to keep your mouths shut. Its just a convenient time to come on here and flame the boards with more negativity. Its like a safe haven for the pessimists

I'm not happy about the loss by any means, I can just see it's a road game in December. This team obviously hasn't gelled like we had thought. The same people talking trash now are the same ones talking smack to Iowa st fans last week.

As for the attendance, a new coach certainly wouldn't help that either. This program doesn't need a new coach, this program needs talent. Port is is an unbelievable talent, but he can't do it alone. The next best players on this team are a freakish athlete with little to no bball IQ and freshmen. Its pretty plain to see.

Just reading through the game thread tells me all I need to know about most posters allegiance to this program, and believe me, the program is better off without the majority. The sky isn't falling, in fact it's still being put back together. We don't make the tourney this year I think Mike will admit himself he needs to go. Its still too early to tell whether this team gels or not.

Either way, it's the spoiled mentality of the hog fans here on this board, on Twitter, and on call in shows that make fans of this school look absolutely ignorant. Why in the world we could possibly feel so entitled is beyond me, this program hasn't been relevant in 20 years. Its December people, grow a pair and stop crying about a bad stretch of games in December. Go hug a loved one and thank God you were born a Hog fan

Sorry, but a good coach would certainly help this program.... I don't know who's doing the teaching on this team, but you don't make balloon passes as Bell did at the end of the game.... which resulted in a turnover. He was double teamed on the press, the correct way by the way, and tried a balloon pass over them. That is exactly what I have been preaching forever. Instead of passing he should have split the press and probably drawn a foul..... That is what one is taught to do. Notice Clemson did that to us in the last minute.....We pressed and the Clemson player split the press as you are taught to do. Of course you could have driven a truck through the hole we gave the
Clemson player. You don't make a balloon pass in that situation.....ever in my book. Also Madden lost the ball twice by dribbling too much in the last minute..... Both of these things you are taught not to do in the 6th grade..... BAD......

Dominicanhog

I agree, it's not going to happen and some of the the post in this thread are completely stupid.  GHGs :razorback:

lefty08

Quote from: mhuff on December 09, 2014, 06:08:16 pm
Sorry, but a good coach would certainly help this program.... I don't know who's doing the teaching on this team, but you don't make balloon passes as Bell did at the end of the game.... which resulted in a turnover. He was double teamed on the press, the correct way by the way, and tried a balloon pass over them. That is exactly what I have been preaching forever. Instead of passing he should have split the press and probably drawn a foul..... That is what one is taught to do. Notice Clemson did that to us in the last minute..... Of course you could have driven a truck

The ball was tipped..
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

nobballconcept

Everyone just watch the bench. Ti says nothing. Watkins says nothing. We have no asst that has ball iq. So MA is on his own and I don't think he can handle it.

nobballconcept

Just grab an ex duke assistant. They will have some fundamentals to share

mhuff

Quote from: lefty08 on December 09, 2014, 06:58:50 pm
The ball was tipped..

Lefty, I know the ball was tipped. It was a pass that should never be made the rest of his BB career. A smothering press is meant to create a poor pass, steal the ball, or tip it away. I wish we did that type of thing more than 1 out of 50 times we press.

lefty08

Quote from: mhuff on December 09, 2014, 07:59:28 pm
Lefty, I know the ball was tipped. It was a pass that should never be made the rest of his BB career. A smothering press is meant to create a poor pass, steal the ball, or tip it away. I wish we did that type of thing more than 1 out of 50 times we press.

It's a pass that is made thousands of times a season against the press. The decision wasn't bad, the execution was. And you are dumber than I thought if u r trying to say our press isn't effective
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged