Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I am a Mike Anderson Guy

Started by WilsonHog, December 07, 2014, 06:52:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Early in the season...tough game on road with hostile crowd, refs did us no favors, learned a lesson from it...had to travel twice this week, team is young.  Everybody needs to quit making too big of a deal of one game.  You're always gonna lose some and you're always gonna win some.  That's why it's called basketball and not mumblypeg.  Sheesh!  Coach Anderson and the team need us getting behind them right now. 

Porked Tongue

Yep.  In one week you'd think we went from winning the lottery to filing bankruptcy.

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 07, 2014, 08:12:19 pm
His system values defense but his best players don't.  Maybe he'll find the right mix at some point.

No , his system values part of defense. It values trapping and trying to steal passes. It does not value good solid on ball defense or rebounding.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HF#1

Quote from: Porked Tongue on December 07, 2014, 08:16:33 pm
Yep.  In one week you'd think we went from winning the lottery to filing bankruptcy.

We'll see where they are at the end of February but if it's not in the tournament then it's on Mike. 

This loss is one that will hurt come selection time assuming we don't have 25+ wins.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Porked Tongue

If true, it won't be an issue until then.  I'm not the type to hold that for 3 months.  I don't watch a game worried about the last game.

Quote from: OTR on December 07, 2014, 08:15:30 pm
Early in the season...tough game on road with hostile crowd, refs did us no favors, learned a lesson from it...had to travel twice this week, team is young.  Everybody needs to quit making too big of a deal of one game.  You're always gonna lose some and you're always gonna win some.  That's why it's called basketball and not mumblypeg.  Sheesh!  Coach Anderson and the team need us getting behind them right now. 
Hostile crowd?

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: Karma on December 07, 2014, 08:25:45 pm
Hostile crowd?

They sounded hostile on the radio.  Very hostile bordering on rude.

notavol

It's not rocket science you guys... We lost because we aren't that good.  I wanted to believe that the loss last Thursday was just because Iowa State was playing lights out. Unfortunately watching the game tonight me realize that we just aren't that good.
We can be impressive at times but we can't truly dominate even an average team. I think we probably make the dance on selection Sunday by a slim margin. Likely a bubble team that gets in by a nose.
Again, we just aren't that good. We were over rated. This is not a top 25 team.
In CBP I trust !

hogsanity

Tough road game? Clemson lost to Gardner webb and Winthrop. Two teams that are rent a wins.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

latrops

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 07, 2014, 06:52:59 pm
I have been satisfied with the progress we made coming into this season.

I can excuse the loss to Iowa St. in Ames, even by the deficit we lost by.

Today cannot be excused; not to a team with losses to Winthrop, Gardner Webb, and Rutgers, not with a six-point lead in the final minute. Whether it was coaching, poor execution, or whatever...that can't happen.

100% agree.  The thing that bothered me the most was how lethargic we were to start and throughout the first half.  Coming off a relatively one sided loss, that was completely inexcusable.  My confidence in CMA was shaken today.  It can be earned back, but I don't think I can give him the benefit of the doubt anymore.  We should be past this by now.

cal34

Learned a lesson from it?  OTR is on a roll :)

Hoggish1

I watched a little bit of this game.  When I saw we were playing in an arena with maybe 3K in it, and just going through the paces, I turned it off.

If our guys don't want to destroy a mediocre team in their house with such poor attendance, well, I don't know, wait a minute—that's how many are showing up in Fayetteville...

Carry on...

ballz2thewall

Quote from: notavol on December 07, 2014, 08:28:05 pm
It's not rocket science you guys... We lost because we aren't that good.  I wanted to believe that the loss last Thursday was just because Iowa State was playing lights out. Unfortunately watching the game tonight me realize that we just aren't that good.
We can be impressive at times but we can't truly dominate even an average team. I think we probably make the dance on selection Sunday by a slim margin. Likely a bubble team that gets in by a nose.
Again, we just aren't that good. We were over rated. This is not a top 25 team.

a friend and i were talking the other day after the smu game.  we basically said the same thing.  that we have moments is about the best we could come up with.
The rest of the frog.

Athog

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 07, 2014, 06:52:59 pm
I have been satisfied with the progress we made coming into this season.

I can excuse the loss to Iowa St. in Ames, even by the deficit we lost by.

Today cannot be excused; not to a team with losses to Winthrop, Gardner Webb, and Rutgers, not with a six-point lead in the final minute. Whether it was coaching, poor execution, or whatever...that can't happen.

I totally agree!!

ChicoHog

Quote from: Kevin on December 07, 2014, 06:58:06 pm
Everyone knows I did not want him as the coach. I am trying not to bash anyone this year. Big dance or bust this year
I felt the same way but even if we don't make it again he will not get fired because of his connections and the Arkansas history he has.  I hope I am wrong. 

Champs04

That's the problem he doesn't adjust. We win at home because a lot of it has to do with the fans, on the road he just can't do it. He wants to be Nolan so bad, he just isn't!

jkstock04

I supported the Mike Anderson hire as well...but let's be honest here. The nostalgia stuff is the main reason why people support him so much. That's why he has such a long leash.

I still go to some bball games and will still support Anderson and the team....but admittedly I'm by far a hard core bball fan as I used to be like many of you are. All the losing and lack of postseason play over the years has soured me to the point that when they lose it doesn't ruin my day any more like it used to.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

latrops

Unfortunately, little of the above is true.  Sans Portis, our top minutes guys are juniors and seniors.  Madden, a senior, made the plays that most contributed to loss at the end of regulation.  There was no crowd, hostile or otherwise, and the officiating was a non factor. 

We just keep finding ways to lose on the road, year after year.  Going back to his last year in Missouri, Anderson's road and neutral site record is simply abysmal.  The last two road games suggest that we haven't improved a bit.

ChicoHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2014, 08:17:36 pm
No , his system values part of defense. It values trapping and trying to steal passes. It does not value good solid on ball defense or rebounding.
Again, the voice of reason on Hogville. 

I have lost interest in college basketball over the last 10 years because of the quality of play, one and done rule, etc.,  but I still watch Hog games.  Now I don't even enjoy those as we play such poor fundamental basketball it's hard to watch.  Just give me guys who shoot and pass well, don't turn it over, attack the boards and play sound man to man defense. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ChicoHog on December 07, 2014, 08:37:44 pm
I felt the same way but even if we don't make it again he will not get fired because of his connections and the Arkansas history he has.  I hope I am wrong. 

Hope it doesn't come to this debate of firing or not.  Not just for Mike but Scotty, Lee, TJ.  We went all in back down this road.  I still don't think it will.  I think it is more likely we get to the point of Mike has reached his ceiling here with some success and that doesn't match our program's which is worse than a definitive failure or great success. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

daprospecta

The problem is we only have one half-court guy.  Bobby Portis.  The full court press works but you need guys that can create in the half court when the game slows down.  Look at Nolan's team when they were successful.  They always had at least two players that could create on their own when games got slower.  I think Beard can be that guy in about 5-6 games.  I still think we make the tourney.  Road games are hard no matter who you play. 

Kevin

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 07, 2014, 08:12:19 pm
His system values defense but his best players don't.  Maybe he'll find the right mix at some point.

Then they are not his best players.  There has to be a combination of competent offensive players and good defenders.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

latrops

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 07, 2014, 08:32:06 pm
I watched a little bit of this game.  When I saw we were playing in an arena with maybe 3K in it, and just going through the paces, I turned it off.

If our guys don't want to destroy a mediocre team in their house with such poor attendance, well, I don't know, wait a minute—that's how many are showing up in Fayetteville...

Carry on...

There aren't very many pro or college programs that pack the stadium/arena after basically 15 years of stinking. 

cal34

Quote from: ChicoHog on December 07, 2014, 08:42:22 pm
Again, the voice of reason on Hogville. 

I have lost interest in college basketball over the last 10 years because of the quality of play, one and done rule, etc.,  but I still watch Hog games.  Now I don't even enjoy those as we play such poor fundamental basketball it's hard to watch.  Just give me guys who shoot and pass well, don't turn it over, attack the boards and play sound man to man defense. 

Even if we would have won today the game was downright boring.  At least they only reviewed the monitor a few times.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Kevin on December 07, 2014, 08:44:11 pm
Then they are not his best players.  There has to be a combination of competent offensive players and good defenders.

They are and I agree with your second sentence. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

latrops

Quote from: ChicoHog on December 07, 2014, 08:37:44 pm

Highly unlikely he would be fired after this season unless it turns into an absolute trainwreck, which should be almost impossible given how bad the rest of the SEC appears to be.  That said, mediocre attendance and no NCAAT this year may turn next year into a make or break, with the odds against CMA assuming Portis leaves. 

CMA is making too much to keep his job beyond 2016 if Bud Walton is seldom more than half full while Arkansas struggles to finish in the top 4 of the conference.

pigture perfect

Nolan lost the Fire in His Belly after the NC as well. A team that can not box out, rebound and be strong offensively around the paint is not going to consistently win. I would love to take my 6"4 300 lb, 50 year old butt to practice and show them how to clear out the lane.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ChicoHog

Quote from: cal34 on December 07, 2014, 08:47:18 pm
Even if we would have won today the game was downright boring.  At least they only reviewed the monitor a few times.
I guess boring is subjective.  I don't like sloppy basketball with a lot of turnovers and out of control play. I like good shooting and passing, ball movement and rebounding. And today's game was not very well played. 

rzrbackramsfan

You all know I'm a mike anderson fan, but that performance by our team was unacceptable.

Kevin

Do we want to play fast on offense? Or just fast on turnovers. Because if we want to play fast on offense, ending a defensive possession with a rebound, would be important
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

board

Fat and happy, like I said when he got here. Nine million to have a shot at 1 and out in NCAA. Got what many wanted I guess...

Biggus Piggus

Simply playing the wrong players together. Very poor team management in the past two games.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 07, 2014, 09:19:52 pm
Simply playing the wrong players together. Very poor team management in the past two games.

He yet again has a team where his best defenders can not score and 2 of the 3 best scorers can't play defense & his scheme takes his big away from the basket on defense.

hogsanity

Quote from: Tomhog™ on December 07, 2014, 09:27:31 pm
This makes me worry about the Hogs' upcoming road SEC record. If they don't learn to win on the road, it will be NIT again this year.

Losing to isu was not big deal. Losing to Clemson, who lost to winthrop & Gardner Webb,  ANYWHERE, is horrible.

DOGALUM

This team has shown almost no ability to get to the basket off the dribble and we've had a hard time defending the same thing.   I'm not into "bashing players" so I will just say that #s 00 and 2 are making it hard for me to cheer for them.  If you are a senior and still show you are a horrible ball handler.....time to sit.   Past time to sit.  It's beyond predictable. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Tomhog™

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2014, 09:30:43 pm
Losing to isu was not big deal. Losing to Clemson, who lost to winthrop & Gardner Webb,  ANYWHERE, is horrible.

Agreed. I wasn't expecting a win in Ames. Was totally expecting Hogs to take care of business today. Doesn't matter if you play good the first 39 minutes of the game if you choke the last one away.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: daprospecta on December 07, 2014, 08:43:16 pm
The problem is we only have one half-court guy.  Bobby Portis.  The full court press works but you need guys that can create in the half court when the game slows down.  Look at Nolan's team when they were successful.  They always had at least two players that could create on their own when games got slower.  I think Beard can be that guy in about 5-6 games.  I still think we make the tourney.  Road games are hard no matter who you play.

erie and i had this discussion the other day.  i advocate for a dedicated point guard coupled with post play.  particularly when facing a hot shooting or halfcourt game.  we have to have a way to create offense from the inside.  even with portis, we just don't do it.  we have no post play whatsoever.  you can't tell me that at least one of our players, portis, kingsley, harris, can't be told to stay low and wait for it. 

and a point guard.  i posted on this last year here on jump ball.  basically the consensus was we don't need one.  so after that i lurked for much of the year, posting only occasionally.

some here, and many very knowledgeable, take the position that we cannot run what i'm suggesting.  if not, then it is insane to field a team without guard-generals and a few under-the-basket whores.  i mean, that's how it's done.  it's not that complicated.

i could also be terribly wrong.  there could be nothing right about what i'm calling for, and that's ok. i'm wrong a lot.  but i don't think so on this.  nolan didn't get his NC until he had korliss - the first true power forward we've ever really had.  he's the first really effective big guy down low since joe klein. [oliver miller wasn't comparable - neither were the other guys not mentioned].

but about oliver and the guys not mentioned - we still tried to have an inside presence with them.

so we're missing two things - a guard to move the ball around. i've watched the new guys and so far, no one is doing it.  that, i guess, is because they're not coached to do it.  AND, notice how tight the opposition plays out on our guards - they can do that because no one is threatening inside the paint.

and when there is ball movement there's nothing but perimeter passes available.  most all inside baskets we get are trash picked up by perimeter guys, and only occasional stuff from portis and kingsley.  on these last two guys that's not nearly enough of what we need from them in those spots.

portis isn't really a basket monitor, he's a small forward.  but he needs to be a goalie in college.  he can be the small forward when he gets to the next level.

some of the guys have mentioned a change in times, referring to the death of the press.  maybe so.  but not entirely.  again, this is where nolan was inventive.  he pressed, but he combined it with half-court trapping.  it was deadly when scattered throughout a game.

some of us remember when sutton came to the uofa.  sutton was an assshole and knew how to coach basketball.  he was successful because his asssholishness translated into maximizing what he had.  nolan did the same thing.  he was an assshole, arrogant, egotistical and probably a horrible dinner guest.  but, like i mentioned in another post he had swagger and he was a badass and his players knew it.

we haven't instilled fear in an opponent in YEARS.  hell, bret bielema brought the hogs football team to the most feared team in the nation in his second year WHILE LOSING!

find a point guard, and don't allow portis and/or kingsley get more than 8 feet from the rim. 

The rest of the frog.

WilsonHog

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 07, 2014, 08:41:30 pm
I supported the Mike Anderson hire as well...but let's be honest here. The nostalgia stuff is the main reason why people support him so much. That's why he has such a long leash.

I still go to some bball games and will still support Anderson and the team....but admittedly I'm by far a hard core bball fan as I used to be like many of you are. All the losing and lack of postseason play over the years has soured me to the point that when they lose it doesn't ruin my day any more like it used to.

No question, at least for me.

We almost hired Buzz Williams. I guess he was the second choice. If we had, and he'd posted the exact same record Mike has through today, my position would be that he needs to be fired if we don't make the NCAA Tournament this year.

I cut Mike slack because of his ties to our glory years; nothing else.

Paul

Quote from: cal34 on December 07, 2014, 07:34:34 pm
Watching Anderson during the time outs just standing there looking around sure reminds me of Stan Heath.
Nolan used to look like he was about to rip someone's head off.
I see that dry erase board they have but i don't think they ever write anything on it. This team is no better than last years.
You are mistaken.  Heath drew up plays during timeouts.  I never remember him having his players around him for an extended time, sending his players out on the court , then using his last timeout with a min & a half left down by 6!!! INEXCUSABLE

ICEman

What troubles me is that Harris seemed to be a better player as a Cougar than he currently is as a Razorback.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

hogsanity

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 07, 2014, 09:51:34 pm

I cut Mike slack because of his ties to our glory years; nothing else.

Which is ridiculous.

WilsonHog

ballz2thewall

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 07, 2014, 10:16:28 pm
What can I say. I'm a sentimental guy.

there's precedent for your sentiment, wilson.  it took bama a LOOONG time to get over the bear.

but think about this; if mike was an alpha, he'd've never made it so long on the bench with nolan.  which, i see while i'm typing, has nothing to do with sentiment:)
The rest of the frog.

spahoopsfan

Quote from: daprospecta on December 07, 2014, 08:43:16 pm
I disagree about Portis he can't create in the half court.  One time I saw that tonight. He can't get position down low doesn't have moves if he did.  He does have a good mid range shot when he can get squared up. Qualls was the only player that played aggressive and made plays.  Madden actually played hard which probably caused his very poor offensive plays.  He wanted too hard to be the man an didn't let the game come to him.
Again I don't understand letting our big guy Portis or Kingsley guard point guard at the top of the key with bell or Qualls having to guard their center. They don't switch back when given the opportunity.  Lead to easy buckets

latrops

Quote from: Tomhog™ on December 07, 2014, 09:38:30 pm
Agreed. I wasn't expecting a win in Ames. Was totally expecting Hogs to take care of business today. Doesn't matter if you play good the first 39 minutes of the game if you choke the last one away.

If we would have played halfway decent for the first 20 minutes, the last one wouldn't have mattered.  Thoroughly disappointed with our lackluster first half.  Starting with a lack of intensity on the road following a loss makes no sense whatsoever. 

ChicoHog

What about our out of bounds plays under the hoop?  Terrible screening and lack of movement.  Sometimes we cannot even get the ball in play and have to call a timeout. Most times the best we can do is throw a lob out to half court.   

Boardon Hamsay

What's scarier is the team next year if Qualls and Portis decide to leave early.  It is what it is I suppose. The main thing I've always been concerned about with MA is he doesn't adapt to game flow well at all.  No ability to slow things down and I can't figure out if it's stubbornness or ineptness. I also don't know of any bigs that would want to come play his style.

I like Mike as a person but I'm beyond apathetic for Hog bball. It just is what it is....and like we're hoping to live in the past as a future strategy. I shrug off losses as expected for road games. It's become laughable that we need to win several years worth of road games straight just to get to .500. I like Mike and appreciate everything he's done in both stints here but I hope we go in a different direction sooner rather than later.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

WxHog

Quote from: notavol on December 07, 2014, 08:28:05 pm
This is not a top 25 team.

We are a top 25 team...at home.

We also struggle to remain a top 100 team on the road.

WxHog

Quote from: Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie on December 07, 2014, 10:37:59 pm
What's scarier is the team next year if Qualls and Portis decide to leave early. 

If Qualls and Portis leave early and Malik Monk goes somewhere else, there will be no optimism for the future.