Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chill Out

Started by Smithian, December 07, 2014, 06:26:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

root_hawg

Its the SEC. easy conference that is further down this year...make the tourney

Rhog

When the Conference stinks it does not guarantee an appearance in the tourney.
That is when winning on the road counts big time.
Non Conferemce record against power 5 Conferemce matters. We are 1-2 in this regard. One of our wins came against a poor Wake Forest team and one of our losses came against an awful Clemson team.
This is not the recipe for making the "Big Dance."

hobhog

Quote from: cjb86 on December 07, 2014, 06:29:39 pm
This place is a ghost town all week we lose a game and 20 threads pop up in 5 min

Yeah. It's the Hogville posters fault....

Deep Shoat

Chill out my ass.  I said nothing after ISU.

This is a bad loss, the same bad loss as always.

Mike ain't the guy. 
All Gas, No Brakes!

mountainhog

Quote from: Kevin on December 07, 2014, 06:45:20 pm
Haters are just going to hate. You guys can just kick rocks, ma is here as long as he wants.

We just ran into a buzzsaw tonight.  I doubt kentucky could have come out of there with a victory tonight.

that clemson is a real juggernaut.

thirtythree

Kick rocks. Gas it grab and go..

The Hogfather

A really scary thought is we aren't better than last season.  It sure does not appear so.  Clemson IS NOT GOOD AT ALL. 

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Smithian on December 07, 2014, 06:41:45 pm
Sit back and enjoy the process. Anderson just needs to sign a few more of his players and games like this will be wins.

My gosh how long does it take? And all of these are "his" players except Madden.

HF#1

Nothing about this loss tells me we will win enough road conference games to make the tournament. 

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

fineswine

Quote from: Kevin on December 07, 2014, 06:45:20 pm
Haters are just going to hate. You guys can just kick rocks, ma is here as long as he wants.
FCJ was more interesting when he could get away with calling people ,"Snot nosed punks".  I don't know why he stopped, or why he hasn't stopped in...

TNhawgfan

I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Smithian on December 07, 2014, 06:48:17 pm
I wish things were better. I'm disappointed by Razorback basketball. I don't know how it's going to be better.

Facilities are improving. What else can change? Coaching? Remember our last two coaching searches? The Hogs don't have the ability to attract an elite coach. May as well ride with the coach we have who has previous success and bank on stability and his previous pedigree. Firing him (which would be costly financially) means another up and comer. Another up and comer could be the next Billy Donovan. Or the next John Pelphrey.

Let's stick with Anderson and see if this thing gets better. I still think Hogs make the tournament this year. That is improvement.

You make a lot of false assumptions in there.

We could have hired Greg Marshall if we wanted in our most recent coaching search.  Or other qualified HC's.

It's irrelevant though.  Mike won't be fired here, not as long as the current level of mediocrity continues.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

MountieDawg

Quote from: proffitthog on December 07, 2014, 06:36:28 pm
This team is no different than last year.

They are a year older
SEC!

Sivad

Quote from: Hogball on December 07, 2014, 06:52:20 pm
MA can't coach and our players can't play without good coaching.. SOS
He was hired for nostalgia; not his coaching ability.

hogsanity

Clemson lost to Gardner Webb and Winthrop.  Let that sink in.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HF#1

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2014, 08:15:12 pm

And the other crappy teams they played, played them close.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

-Blu

I figure nobody wants to hear reason right now but I'll give it anyways.  This loss, while disappointing, isn't the end of the world.  Even with this loss, we should still have a top 50ish RPI, and if we hold out and finish strong in the non-conference we'll end it with an 11-2 record.  And we will have quality top 50 wins over SMU, Iona, and Dayton, with only 1 bad loss to Clemson, who should be in the RPI top 150, which isn't really a horrible loss, especially on the road.

I think someone mentioned it in this thread, we will have more road opportunities, against Tennessee, Mizz, Auburn, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Ole Miss, who are all either worse or about the same caliber as Clemson right now.  If we go undefeated in SEC home play, which we should, we only need about 3-4 SEC road wins to secure an NCAA spot.  I still hold that this is a 23-25 win team.  We'll learn from this experience, and I expect to see a much different team against Dayton.  I also think we'll see some lineup tweaks.  I'd be surprised if we don't see more Kingsley, Beard, and Babb from here on out.

TLDR: Not the end of the world, early in the season, many more opportunities ahead.

jry04

We will finish at least 23-8 and still make the ncaat. We will be ok.

jry04

Quote from: -Blu on December 07, 2014, 08:20:57 pm
I figure nobody wants to hear reason right now but I'll give it anyways.  This loss, while disappointing, isn't the end of the world.  Even with this loss, we should still have a top 50ish RPI, and if we hold out and finish strong in the non-conference we'll end it with an 11-2 record.  And we will have quality top 50 wins over SMU, Iona, and Dayton, with only 1 bad loss to Clemson, who should be in the RPI top 150, which isn't really a horrible loss, especially on the road.

I think someone mentioned it in this thread, we will have more road opportunities, against Tennessee, Mizz, Auburn, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Ole Miss, who are all either worse or about the same caliber as Clemson right now.  If we go undefeated in SEC home play, which we should, we only need about 3-4 SEC road wins to secure an NCAA spot.  I still hold that this is a 23-25 win team.  We'll learn from this experience, and I expect to see a much different team against Dayton.  I also think we'll see some lineup tweaks.  I'd be surprised if we don't see more Kingsley, Beard, and Babb from here on out.

TLDR: Not the end of the world, early in the season, many more opportunities ahead.

Currently our RPI is 32 after that loss. If we go 23-8(3 conference road wins) it will be near 37 at the end of the year. A lock for the ncaat. 22-9 would put us around 44, which should still put us in.

Win Saturday and I say we are no worse than 16-4 going to Gainesville. When it is all said and done, I think today's loss keeps us from getting a 5-7 seed, not from making the ncaat.

gatecrasher

The only acceptable outcome this year is an NCAA berth.
If not, Anderson's ass is red hot going into next year.

searcus

Quote from: Smithian on December 07, 2014, 06:41:45 pm
Sit back and enjoy the process. Anderson just needs to sign a few more of his players and games ike this will be wins.

Can't tell if your being sarcastic or not but I sure hope you are.

-Blu

Quote from: jry04 on December 07, 2014, 08:24:23 pm
Currently our RPI is 32 after that loss. If we go 23-8(3 conference road wins) it will be near 37 at the end of the year. A lock for the ncaat. 22-9 would put us around 44, which should still put us in.

Win Saturday and I say we are no worse than 16-4 going to Gainesville. When it is all said and done, I think today's loss keeps us from getting a 5-7 seed, not from making the ncaat.

Cool.  What's Clemson's RPI now, I think it was like 156 going into this game, I'm sure it's much better now.  We need to root for them to finish strong in their non-conference, if they can finish being a sub 100 RPI team, which is very possible, that would help us out a lot.

Edit: I was wrong about Clemson's RPI, according to liverpi they are currently 190, with an expected 164.  Not, looking as good as I thought, really need them to finish strong.

jry04

Quote from: -Blu on December 07, 2014, 08:31:39 pm
Cool.  What's Clemson's RPI now, I think it was like 156 going into this game, I'm sure it's much better now.  We need to root for them to finish strong in their non-conference, if they can finish being a sub 100 RPI team, which is very possible, that would help us out a lot.
The acc is loaded, so I dont see clemson doing much.

They will be a bad loss, but we will be fine as long as we win 3 road games and all home games. A top 50 rpi gets us in, and we will have a top 50 rpi with at least 22 wins.

TeedupHigh

Quote from: ICEman on December 07, 2014, 06:38:22 pm
This loss may fire us up more than any coaching magic that CMA could infuse into the team.

TeeHee, yeah right, if they get fired they will have to do it!!

cal34

Quote from: -Blu on December 07, 2014, 08:20:57 pm

We are worse than Clemson right now.

Knot2brite

All of you telling us to chill out are assuming that we will win X amount of games. At this point, after hearing this for X amount of years, I will tell you that I am not buying it any more. I have heard that we will do great and wonderful things and watched us fall flat on our faces. This year had proven to me that I am going to take a wait and see or a tel me if they make the tournament attitude. Right now I am leaning toward the latter
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

TeedupHigh

Edit: I was wrong about Clemson's RPI, according to liverpi they are currently 190, with an expected 164.  Not, looking as good as I thought, really need them to finish strong.

Our only hope is this?  Damn! would we go one and out or win the whole dang thing...........

-Blu

Quote from: cal34 on December 07, 2014, 08:37:16 pm
We are worse than Clemson right now.

We would beat Clemson by 20+ at home.  We beat ourselves this game.  Up 6 points with a minute to go, just mental breakdowns.

Kevin

It goes under the bad loss category when March comes around. Really, need to beat Dayton now.  Not sure outside of Kentucky, where a quality win is going to come from in the conference
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Danny J

Quote from: -Blu on December 07, 2014, 08:39:33 pm
We would beat Clemson by 20+ at home.  We beat ourselves this game.  Up 6 points with a minute to go, just mental breakdowns.
True but my issue I have is the players committing the breakdowns. Two were seniors and the other key mistake was made by a Junior. If we are going to be successful on the road those are the players that need to make plays.

-Blu

Quote from: TeedupHigh on December 07, 2014, 08:38:42 pm
Our only hope is this?  Damn! would we go one and out or win the whole dang thing...........

Not sure what you mean, we still control our own destiny.  I understand the frustrations, I'm frustrated too, that's a game we shouldn't have loss, no excuses.  But, some people are acting like the season is over, and acting like we just lost to Savannah State at home.  This is a game, while a heartbreaking loss, it isn't going to kill your resume, you can bounce back from this.  Especially if Clemson pulls out some more upsets this year, like they have against Ark and LSU.

-Blu

Quote from: Kevin on December 07, 2014, 08:40:02 pm
It goes under the bad loss category when March comes around. Really, need to beat Dayton now.  Not sure outside of Kentucky, where a quality win is going to come from in the conference

Kevin, the goal, with our schedule, is to do a BYU, which is to pile up those sub 150 RPI wins.  Which a lot of those are on our resume.  If we finish strong in the Non-conference we should get 3 potential Top 50 RPI wins, SMU, Dayton, Iona.  With some teams around the top 150ish RPI in Ala State, Delaware State, North Texas, Wake Forest, and Northwestern.  The rest, we just hope they finish sub 250, so they don't hurt our resume.

You go into conference play, your teams in or around the top 50ish area right now are TAM, Alabama, LSU, and Kentucky.  3 of those teams are at home, which should be wins.  Then we got teams like Miss State, Ole Miss, South Carolina, that are all below 100 RPI.  So there's plenty of quality wins to be had in conference as well.  We just need to avoid losses to teams in conference that are in that 200ish area, which is Vandy, Mizzou, and Auburn.

Lot of basketball to be played, and there's still plenty of time to have an awesome season.

Breems

I think it's hilarious that everyone here who was "wait and see, it's too early" after 6 wins have decided the team's NIT fate after 2 losses.

The loss was troubling and concerning, but it can be redeemed. Every team on ESPN during Selection Sunday has a bad loss column beside their name, and many of them come early in the season.

I'm going to wait until we tank to declare we've tanked, and I'll wait until we're in the tournament to declare we're back.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Kevin

Quote from: -Blu on December 07, 2014, 09:04:20 pm
Kevin, the goal, with our schedule, is to do a BYU, which is to pile up those sub 150 RPI wins.  Which a lot of those are on our resume.  If we finish strong in the Non-conference we should get 3 potential Top 50 RPI wins, SMU, Dayton, Iona.  With some teams around the top 150ish RPI in Ala State, Delaware State, North Texas, Wake Forest, and Northwestern.  The rest, we just hope they finish sub 250, so they don't hurt our resume.

You go into conference play, your teams in or around the top 50ish area right now are TAM, Alabama, LSU, and Kentucky.  3 of those teams are at home, which should be wins.  Then we got teams like Miss State, Ole Miss, South Carolina, that are all below 100 RPI.  So there's plenty of quality wins to be had in conference as well.  We just need to avoid losses to teams in conference that are in that 200ish area, which is Vandy, Mizzou, and Auburn.

Lot of basketball to be played, and there's still plenty of time to have an awesome season.

Wake forest, northwestern, Clemson could see close to 200
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jry04

Quote from: Kevin on December 07, 2014, 09:08:44 pm

Wake forest, northwestern, Clemson could see close to 200
You can panic about the rpi all you want. Rpi forecast has been pretty darn accurate with regards to how the rpi will play out over the course of a season. Win just 3 more road games out of 9 and we will be top 50 rpi, which will make the ncaat.

Pork Twain

There is no good spin that can be put on this
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Porkem

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2014, 08:15:12 pm

It's nothing short of pathetic.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ICEman on December 07, 2014, 06:38:22 pm
This loss may fire us up more than any coaching magic that CMA could infuse into the team.

Losing to mediocre opposition is not the way to progress. Tired of the Hogs flopping around playing incompetent basketball. The other coach could have taken ours and beaten us by 20, and he'll get fired at the end of this season.
[CENSORED]!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Breems on December 07, 2014, 09:04:29 pm
I think it's hilarious that everyone here who was "wait and see, it's too early" after 6 wins have decided the team's NIT fate after 2 losses.

The loss was troubling and concerning, but it can be redeemed. Every team on ESPN during Selection Sunday has a bad loss column beside their name, and many of them come early in the season.

I'm going to wait until we tank to declare we've tanked, and I'll wait until we're in the tournament to declare we're back.
Its not the loss.  It's not the two losses.  It's the same darn different day thing.

So we make the tourney.  What are we going to do?  Lose.

Is that what we are ok with in year 4?  Really?

Same darn, different day.
All Gas, No Brakes!

jry04

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 07, 2014, 09:47:14 pm
Its not the loss.  It's not the two losses.  It's the same darn different day thing.

So we make the tourney.  What are we going to do?  Lose.

Is that what we are ok with in year 4?  Really?

Same darn, different day.
We were never going to win the national championship this year, so of course we are going to lose if we make the NCAAT. Making the NCAAT after being out for this long is an accomplishment in itself. No, we should be happy with just making it, but we are not back to a point where we can be mad over our seeding or how far we advanced. We haven't even been in the thing in 6 or 7 years.

searcus

Just curious, what is your definition of tank?

Breems

Quote from: searcus on December 07, 2014, 09:57:01 pm
Just curious, what is your definition of tank?

More than one inexcusable loss.

See the end of last year.

texhog

It's so disappointing that we are right back here again wringing our hands over our RPI and our opponent's RPI and hoping they do well and talking about how we now have to win so many games to get into the tournament.  I thought this year would be different.  I thought we wouldn't be worrying about making it in the tournament but simply talking about whether we would be a 4 or 5 seed and could we take 2nd in the SEC this year.  The conversations today sound just like a year ago.  Man I miss Nolan.

Pig Worshipper

I'm certainly not happy about the last two losses but I don't think this team has come together yet. They will become a more cohesive group later this season and when they do they're going to be pretty good.

I don't think Mike Anderson, or Nolan Richardson for that matter, are great X's and O's coaches. They coach a system and live or die by it. We've got the depth for the system this year and it WILL kick in. My biggest concern for all of our very athletic kids is this: other than Portis, we have almost no good pure shooters on this team. We have streak shooters but no silky smooth money shot shooters. On Nolan's best teams, we had those guys. And that's why, although I think we'll make the tournament, we won't go far this year.

latrops

I doubt we will tank.  I just hoped we would make the NCAAT because we were actually a good team, rather than sweating it out that we might get in on a soft schedule that "looks" OK based on RPI.

Breems

Quote from: latrops on December 07, 2014, 10:07:43 pm
I doubt we will tank.  I just hoped we would make the NCAAT because we were actually a good team, rather than sweating it out that we might get in on a soft schedule that "looks" OK based on RPI.

Agreed. I was looking forward to a year of our schedule deciding our seed and not our bid. We need to take control of that now and put these losses behind us.

latrops

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on December 07, 2014, 10:06:10 pm
I'm certainly not happy about the last two losses but I don't think this team has come together yet. They will become a more cohesive group later this season and when they do they're going to be pretty good.

I don't think Mike Anderson, or Nolan Richardson for that matter, are great X's and O's coaches. They coach a system and live or die by it. We've got the depth for the system this year and it WILL kick in. My biggest concern for all of our very athletic kids is this: other than Portis, we have almost no good pure shooters on this team. We have streak shooters but no silky smooth money shot shooters. On Nolan's best teams, we had those guys. And that's why, although I think we'll make the tournament, we won't go far this year.

Most of the major minutes are going to guys that played together last year.  No, we aren't a finished product yet....but it isn't as though we are starting a bunch of freshmen and transfers.  Garner Webb and Winthrop did what Arkansas couldn't.  That stinks.

jry04

Quote from: texhog on December 07, 2014, 10:02:55 pm
It's so disappointing that we are right back here again wringing our hands over our RPI and our opponent's RPI and hoping they do well and talking about how we now have to win so many games to get into the tournament.  I thought this year would be different.  I thought we wouldn't be worrying about making it in the tournament but simply talking about whether we would be a 4 or 5 seed and could we take 2nd in the SEC this year.  The conversations today sound just like a year ago.  Man I miss Nolan.
The only people worrying about our rpi are the chicken littles. We are still in the 20s as of right now. We will remain there with a win over Dayton heading into sec play.

-Blu

Quote from: texhog on December 07, 2014, 10:02:55 pm

I thought all teams talked about RPI and record.  I haven't been to the Kentucky board since last year, but I remember a thread of them discussing RPI and records and they are the best B-Ball program in America.

And what's ironic about this whole thing is, we made a prediction thread before the season started, and most people had us going 11-2 in the non-conference with losses to SMU and Iowa State, we look on pace to do that 11-2, just lost to Clemson instead of SMU.  As jry04 we still have a good RPI, if the tournament started tomorrow we'd be in the field, we just have to finish our non-conference strong and take care of business when conference play starts, nobody should be stressing about us not making the tournament over 1 game in early December.

hogsanity

Quote from: -Blu on December 07, 2014, 11:03:14 pm
I thought all teams talked about RPI and record.  I haven't been to the Kentucky board since last year, but I remember a thread of them discussing RPI and records and they are the best B-Ball program in America.

And what's ironic about this whole thing is, we made a prediction thread before the season started, and most people had us going 11-2 in the non-conference with losses to SMU and Iowa State, we look on pace to do that 11-2, just lost to Clemson instead of SMU.  As jry04 we still have a good RPI, if the tournament started tomorrow we'd be in the field, we just have to finish our non-conference strong and take care of business when conference play starts, nobody should be stressing about us not making the tournament over 1 game in early December.

The problem, to me, is the way they lost today, and really the way they played the last 4 games. Poor on ball defense, poor rotation, poor recognition of shooters, poor half court offense-----in other words the same problems we saw do the Hogs in last year in several games. Iona and North Texas just did not have the depth to play a 40 minute game, both faded atfer the 10min mark of the 2nd half.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE