Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This loss means trouble folks

Started by UNCLE BACK, December 07, 2014, 06:09:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 07, 2014, 06:32:27 pm
Very, very poor coaching.
That is obvious and true.
The "Return to 40 Minutes of Hell and Nolan" demands have now saddled us with a weight we cannot excise.

Dropkick

FCJ is AWOL when MA needs him most?

latrops

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on December 08, 2014, 02:50:09 pm
I think just the opposite.  His game will translate well to the NBA.  It is this system where he doesn't have a defined role where he is struggling.  I think he leaves because of it.  Why cost himself money spending more time in a system that doesn't allow him to showcase his NBA game? 

Unfortunately, I think this is closer to the truth than the idea that he isn't NBA ready.  Certainly, he still has plenty to work on, but he has good size, a good shooting touch, a decent basketball IQ, and adequate athleticism.  It isn't so much what he brings to the table right now as it is what he can develop into.  If he isn't ready to start or play heavy minutes, he won't.  Lots of first round picks, even lottery picks, don't play big minutes for several months or even years.

What CMA does can be successful if done correctly with the right personnel.  However, it isn't the best system for NBA development.  Portis doesn't likely become much more NBA ready by staying...certainly not as much as if he just went to the NBA and started the process in the Association.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: latrops on December 08, 2014, 03:09:42 pm
Unfortunately, I think this is closer to the truth than the idea that he isn't NBA ready.  Certainly, he still has plenty to work on, but he has good size, a good shooting touch, a decent basketball IQ, and adequate athleticism.  It isn't so much what he brings to the table right now as it is what he can develop into.  If he isn't ready to start or play heavy minutes, he won't.  Lots of first round picks, even lottery picks, don't play big minutes for several months or even years.

What CMA does can be successful if done correctly with the right personnel.  However, it isn't the best system for NBA development.  Portis doesn't likely become much more NBA ready by staying...certainly not as much as if he just went to the NBA and started the process in the Association.

Nice hands, nice feet,  nice touch.  He just is not getting the coaching he needs.  With the right coaching, you could almost see some Kevin Love type potential there...deadly on the pick and pop because of his touch and he displays some pretty nice range when he wants to.  You almost have to wonder what Jimmy Whitt makes of all this, I know he signed but stranger things have happened than a kid changing his mind.  Would hate to see his talent wasted running some quasi motion and not having a defined role on the team. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Dropkick on December 08, 2014, 03:05:09 pm
FCJ is AWOL when MA needs him most?

I though that too. I figure FCJ would be on here challenging to fight anyone who does not think MA is a bball coaching deity.

He is probably too busy throwing up over how the refs "handed" Bama a 29 pt win in the seccg.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HotlantaHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 07, 2014, 06:32:27 pm
MA keeps thinking he can put his starters on court and that'll fix everything, but they suck together. They do not have complementary skills. Deliberate losing. Wrong use of available talent. Very, very poor coaching.
If it is that simple, why can't MA figure it out?

hogsanity

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 08, 2014, 03:40:01 pm
If it is that simple, why can't MA figure it out?

because no one on his bench can score? Or because MA is stubborn and is not going to change ANYTHING.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dropkick

Quote from: hogsanity on December 08, 2014, 03:39:10 pm
I though that too. I figure FCJ would be on here challenging to fight anyone who does not think MA is a bball coaching deity.

He is probably too busy throwing up over how the refs "handed" Bama a 29 pt win in the seccg.
I thought I saw Joe kickin rocks

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on December 08, 2014, 02:50:09 pm
I think just the opposite.  His game will translate well to the NBA.  It is this system where he doesn't have a defined role where he is struggling.  I think he leaves because of it.  Why cost himself money spending more time in a system that doesn't allow him to showcase his NBA game?

No offense, and I like Portis, but he's not a good enough ball handler to make an impact in the NBA at this point IMO.  He's not big and physical enough to play with his back to the basket, and he can't create his own shot against equivalent talent.  What is his NBA role going to be?  Catching and shooting over guys from 12-15 feet is not going to work in the NBA. 

I won't argue that he may make every bit as much this year if he goes out, unless he loses the hesitancy to put the ball on the floor and create.  Maybe he's not aggressive, or he's concerned that he'll turn it over, but I would love to see him try to score much more often.  The offense should go through Portis... 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 08, 2014, 09:05:07 pm
No offense, and I like Portis, but he's not a good enough ball handler to make an impact in the NBA at this point IMO.  He's not big and physical enough to play with his back to the basket, and he can't create his own shot against equivalent talent.  What is his NBA role going to be?  Catching and shooting over guys from 12-15 feet is not going to work in the NBA. 

I won't argue that he may make every bit as much this year if he goes out, unless he loses the hesitancy to put the ball on the floor and create.  Maybe he's not aggressive, or he's concerned that he'll turn it over, but I would love to see him try to score much more often.  The offense should go through Portis...

Kevin Love and Chris Bosh say hello, that is their entire game...with proper coaching he could very much be like one of those guys in the NBA.  All about pick and pop/roll and he most certainly right now has the skills to do that in the NBA.  Sticking around AR for another year will just put him another year behind in honing those skills.

la20688

The sky is falling! Good lord...some on here are really hard to take. I understand the frustration of losing those two games on the road, especially Clemson. However it was just a bad week of basketball in December. this team is much more talented and deeper than any team we've had in a long time. At every spot no less. The goal is to have the team playing its best ball in late February and March. There is no reason why this team can't bounce back and be a too 20 or 30 team come March. Almost every team in the country will have at least a couple of bad losses on their resume at the end of the year. I guess everyone has forgot about the road win at SMU. I'm sure there will be a long line telling me how that game means nothing now.
Carry on.....

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

Quote from: la20688 on December 09, 2014, 11:32:11 am
this team is much more talented and deeper than any team we've had in a long time. At every spot no less.

Yet they continue to make the same mistakes they have been making for two three or 4 years in Mikes program.  The coach continues to show a stubborn streak so wide that he will not stop doing the same things over and over that have resulted in only a handful of road wins in his 3+ seasons. THOSE are the points of frustration for me.

Medic821

Mike will get the job done people.

Medic821

Maddhog

The sky is falling! Good lord...some on here are really hard to take. I understand the frustration of losing those two games on the road, especially Clemson. However it was just a bad week of basketball in December. this team is much more talented and deeper than any team we've had in a long time. At every spot no less. The goal is to have the team playing its best ball in late February and March. There is no reason why this team can't bounce back and be a too 20 or 30 team come March. Almost every team in the country will have at least a couple of bad losses on their resume at the end of the year. I guess everyone has forgot about the road win at SMU. I'm sure there will be a long line telling me how that game means nothing now.
Carry on.....

The ones who still care enough to complain are to be commended IMHO.   I've come to expect bad basketball (sadly) and I start looking ahead to baseball.
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

hogman99

Carry on.....

They may be more talented, but they are making the same mistakes and the coaches have not shown the ability to correct the mistakes.  It starts with the coaching staff and if lineup changes and minutes played are not any different stating with Dayton and the rest of December games then we are in for a long year.

This over pressure, out of position, poor defensive fundamentals will work against lesser team, but when you play a good sound team with decent coaching losses will pile up.

If the coaches change their approach (Portis/Kinsgley on the floor running a high-low offense and smart sound half court defense), then we have a chance.  The next 3 weeks before conference play starts is a perfect time to make these adjustments. We will all see in the very near future if changes are made or not. I hope they are because the status quo will get us begging for a bid in the NCAA tourney as we have done for the past 12 years.

Hoggish1

Quote from: -Blu on December 07, 2014, 06:30:23 pm
No way to sugarcoat this.  Up by 6 with less than a minute, we have a brief lapse in judgement by one of our players, go into OT, missed a layup to put us down by 1, we deserved to lose this one.  I'm not player bashing here, but Qualls and Portis are the only guys we can depend on when we go on the road.  You can see in their face they refuse to lose, but everybody else their play on the road is completely different from playing at Bud Walton.

This ^ is why I question why we don't alter our approach on the road, slightly. 

I'd like to see us have more plays in half court and slow it down a bit in the early part of the game and put our best defensive players on the court from the start.

Often the opponent at home is on fire and when we start doing our thing, out of control and not shooting well because we throw up shorts without moving the ball, we open ourselves to being behind a whole bunch pretty fast.

Let the team get their feet on the court and adjusted to the new surroundings for at least the first 6-7 minutes, or so.

Is that too much to ask, or must we just do it one way all the time and continue to take our lumps on the road?

hogsanity

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 09, 2014, 02:20:12 pm

Is that too much to ask, or must we just do it one way all the time and continue to take our lumps on the road?

I would say the last three seasons + last Sunday have already answered that question. 

phadedhawg

I'm not giving up on the team but I am letting go of whatever hopes I had for them. 

Now that we have the SEC Network I will be able to subject myself to them on the regular.  Ugh...

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on December 09, 2014, 10:29:29 am
Kevin Love and Chris Bosh say hello, that is their entire game...with proper coaching he could very much be like one of those guys in the NBA.  All about pick and pop/roll and he most certainly right now has the skills to do that in the NBA.  Sticking around AR for another year will just put him another year behind in honing those skills.

Not even worth arguing if you really believe Portis has the skills that those guys possess.   :-X
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 09, 2014, 03:49:30 pm
Not even worth arguing if you really believe Portis has the skills that those guys possess.   :-X

Totally worth arguing...why do you think NBA scouts salivate over him? Have you ever watched him play prior to his arrival on campus?  I have.  He has the requisite skills to be that type of player, but he isn't getting the necessary coaching to refine those skills, hence why if he is smart he bolts so he can get paid AND refine his skills with a real coach at the same time.  He is a pick and roll coaches dream, but he plays for a coach that couldn't diagram a pick and roll if you gave him the pick and THAT is why some of you guys think he doesn't have NBA potential.  The system is what kills him, not his skills. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on December 09, 2014, 03:55:19 pm

Totally worth arguing...why do you think NBA scouts salivate over him? Have you ever watched him play prior to his arrival on campus?  I have.  He has the requisite skills to be that type of player, but he isn't getting the necessary coaching to refine those skills, hence why if he is smart he bolts so he can get paid AND refine his skills with a real coach at the same time.  He is a pick and roll coaches dream, but he plays for a coach that couldn't diagram a pick and roll if you gave him the pick and THAT is why some of you guys think he doesn't have NBA potential.  The system is what kills him, not his skills.

You're trying to put words in my mouth.  I didn't say a WORD about him not having NBA potential.  He's getting touches, but he could initiate a lot more on the offensive end if he developed some aggression.  He also needs to develop a little better ball handling if he's going to play the role you're suggesting he will play successfully in the NBA. 

CAN he develop those skills?  Absolutely, and the big man camp he attended this year did wonders for him.  Do I think he would make an immediate impact right now...no.  He'll go this year I'm sure, and he'll be a bit of a project.  But...if he develops a little more after he gets there, then he could certainly be successful in the NBA.  The art of the 12-15 ft. shot is lost in the NBA, which is his best attribute. 

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 09, 2014, 04:02:42 pm
You're trying to put words in my mouth.  I didn't say a WORD about him not having NBA potential.  He's getting touches, but he could initiate a lot more on the offensive end if he developed some aggression.  He also needs to develop a little better ball handling if he's going to play the role you're suggesting he will play successfully in the NBA. 

CAN he develop those skills?  Absolutely, and the big man camp he attended this year did wonders for him.  Do I think he would make an immediate impact right now...no.  He'll go this year I'm sure, and he'll be a bit of a project.  But...if he develops a little more after he gets there, then he could certainly be successful in the NBA.  The art of the 12-15 ft. shot is lost in the NBA, which is his best attribute.

Wasn't referring to you, notice I said some of you guys, not you in particular.  Bosh and Love are the 12-15 game with the ability to step back and play behind the arc, which Portis can do as well.  He will never be able to refine his skills to an NBA level playing in a bush league system and it is why he needs to immediately declare for the NBA draft at seasons end. 

DLUXHOG

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on December 07, 2014, 06:09:03 pm
Mikes job will now be in Jeapordy. If we can't make the dance this year, we lose Portis and Qualls along with the seniors.  :puke:

Please...................... just, Please............
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on December 09, 2014, 04:07:54 pm
Wasn't referring to you, notice I said some of you guys, not you in particular.  Bosh and Love are the 12-15 game with the ability to step back and play behind the arc, which Portis can do as well.  He will never be able to refine his skills to an NBA level playing in a bush league system and it is why he needs to immediately declare for the NBA draft at seasons end.

Yeah, yeah...I know, no one from Missouri thinks MA can coach a lick, but you were happy as larks when you had him up there putting you on the national radar and into the NCAAT regularly.  He was fine then...but he comes down here, and you saw through the facade all along. 

We know this gig...we had it with Nolan.  Maybe you sputter some, have some ups and downs, but then along comes a few really unique players like a Dwight Stewart, a beast like Corliss Williamson, and an animal on defense with a high BB IQ PG like Corey Beck, and you catch lightning in a bottle. 

You guys had some of the same struggles we're having now.  We lack a true PG with poise and leadership, and a sharp shooter who can hit from three.  It wouldn't hurt to have a score who can create and get his own shot too.  Point is....we've seen the system work with the right mix of players, and no one here, even the frustrated fans like me, are suggesting that the plug needs to be pulled. 

The year isn't over, so let's see how his "bush league" system pans out when some of the younger guys find their bearings, and hopefully we find some lineups that can compliment one another.  I've said it before...I'll say it again....we can do a LOT worse than MA....because we've seen it.   

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 09, 2014, 04:23:30 pm
Yeah, yeah...I know, no one from Missouri thinks MA can coach a lick, but you were happy as larks when you had him up there putting you on the national radar and into the NCAAT regularly.  He was fine then...but he comes down here, and you saw through the facade all along. 

We know this gig...we had it with Nolan.  Maybe you sputter some, have some ups and downs, but then along comes a few really unique players like a Dwight Stewart, a beast like Corliss Williamson, and an animal on defense with a high BB IQ PG like Corey Beck, and you catch lightning in a bottle. 

You guys had some of the same struggles we're having now.  We lack a true PG with poise and leadership, and a sharp shooter who can hit from three.  It wouldn't hurt to have a score who can create and get his own shot too.  Point is....we've seen the system work with the right mix of players, and no one here, even the frustrated fans like me, are suggesting that the plug needs to be pulled. 

The year isn't over, so let's see how his "bush league" system pans out when some of the younger guys get find their bearing, and hopefully we find some lineups that can compliment one another.  I've said it before...I'll say it again....we can do a LOT worse than MA....because we've seen it.   

I have lived in AR for more than 20 years and during that time was a dual fan.  Now that Missouri is in the SEC I root against AR when they play each other.  Uh, do the names Norm Stewart or Quin Snyder (minus his blow problem) ring a bell? Missouri was nationally relevant long before Mike and will be again if KA can right the ship.

You obviously don't know much about how Nolan coached.  His did not limit his best teams to 1 way of playing basketball.  He knew when to press and when to slow down.  He knew how to call a set play to get the ball to the right person.  Apparently all Mike gleaned from that was run around like chicken's with your heads cut off on defense, then run basically a three man weave on offense until someone decides to jack a three.  Tell me I am wrong.  No discipline, no fundamentals.

For the record I thought when Mike was hired at Missouri that the wrong Anderson was hired.  Kim should have been hired then.  I hate the style of basketball, the way MA implements it, because he cannot do anything else but that style. Nothing, nada, zip, zilch. Nolan was a freaking genius, Mike cannot even carry his jock strap.  It is a bush league system because no one will come out of it NBA ready or will refine any fundamental skill that will help them at the next level, and if you cannot do either of those two things good luck getting players like you mentioned above. You think Bobby is really happy with his choice?  You think Moses doesn't wonder once in awhile if he should have gone somewhere else? Only thing I can say positive about Mike's system is that their conditioning should be pretty decent.  If that is all you get out of a system, time to scrap that system.

Pork Twain

At least being stationed in Charlottesville allows me to watch the UVA basketball team win and play well.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

root_hawg

Moving on .. next 5 should be cupcakes

Pork Twain

Hell, we should win the next ten.  They are all home games
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

poloprince

Quote from: hobhog on December 07, 2014, 06:22:39 pm
Players just do what they want. There is no plan or strategy.....

You my friend have no clue. I'll assume all your plans and strategies to this date have had 100 % success.
$PoLoPrInCe$

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: root_hawg on December 09, 2014, 05:21:49 pm
Moving on .. next 5 should be cupcakes

Dayton is not a cupcake. Might beat them, but don't expect a blowout.  Like I said in another thread Oklahoma was a quality OOC opponent and only beat them by 3 and SMU was only 11 point game.  They are not your typical MA home opponent.

Kevin

Nba drafts on potential, thst is why Portis will leave
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

la20688

A question for everyone who is now predicting "doom and gloom". Were you predicting it when we were 6-0? If you were then this doesn't apply to you. If not what would you be saying had the Hogs not messed up that last minute of regulation? Would you have been happy to get out of there with a ugly road victory, in a game that we were only a 2pt favorite going in?
This kind of stuff happens in college hoops....especially in December. All of you calling for Maddens head, he kept this team going the last two months of last  season. He could be more consistent, I agree. He had a bad week, I agree. He will still help this team more than he hurts it this year, if he keeps his head straight (which I think he will)...JMO
I keep hearing,  "they are still making the same mistakes that they were making 2-3 years ago". Yes when they play bad they do. There are only so many game changing mistakes a team can make in basketball. When they take care of the ball, turn the other team over, and shoot well, they generally win. When they don't, if they are playing on the road, they are probably going to lose.
I'm frustrated with the loss as well, but it's not like we have an rpi of 150. Right now it's still at 20. I think if that last minute at Clemson didn't get messed up, a lot here would be singing a different tune.....but I'm probably wrong!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on December 09, 2014, 04:32:02 pm

I have lived in AR for more than 20 years and during that time was a dual fan.  Now that Missouri is in the SEC I root against AR when they play each other.  Uh, do the names Norm Stewart or Quin Snyder (minus his blow problem) ring a bell? Missouri was nationally relevant long before Mike and will be again if KA can right the ship.

You obviously don't know much about how Nolan coached.  His did not limit his best teams to 1 way of playing basketball.  He knew when to press and when to slow down.  He knew how to call a set play to get the ball to the right person.  Apparently all Mike gleaned from that was run around like chicken's with your heads cut off on defense, then run basically a three man weave on offense until someone decides to jack a three.  Tell me I am wrong.  No discipline, no fundamentals.

For the record I thought when Mike was hired at Missouri that the wrong Anderson was hired.  Kim should have been hired then.  I hate the style of basketball, the way MA implements it, because he cannot do anything else but that style. Nothing, nada, zip, zilch. Nolan was a freaking genius, Mike cannot even carry his jock strap.  It is a bush league system because no one will come out of it NBA ready or will refine any fundamental skill that will help them at the next level, and if you cannot do either of those two things good luck getting players like you mentioned above. You think Bobby is really happy with his choice?  You think Moses doesn't wonder once in awhile if he should have gone somewhere else? Only thing I can say positive about Mike's system is that their conditioning should be pretty decent.  If that is all you get out of a system, time to scrap that system.

Yeah, you're going to tell me how Nolan coached basketball.  You're a Mizzou fan dude.  Mizz  oooo.  Acting smug about that is comical, and you're a typical "know it all" character.  You don't have any idea how we'll finish, or what we'll look like in 2 years.  As of yet, we don't have the physical presence that Mizzou had, nor the tenacity.  That can change with just a few players. 

I know...keep taking shots at MA.  I never wanted him to coach here...I'm on record.  I think Nolan's system worked back in the days you could mug people, and there weren't as many long timeouts, and the world was still a littttle bit less "all about me." 

But guess what...I'll still wish the best for MA, and hope we succeed.  So get off your high horse, root for your little team, and stay up there.   

Hoggish1

Quote from: la20688 on December 09, 2014, 07:40:58 pm
A question for everyone who is now predicting "doom and gloom".

You missed it if you think this thread is about gloom and doom. 

I thought it was about reverting to the stuff that has made a lot of people go mad for the last three years, including me:

Letting teams jump out to big leads
Not playing smart
Playing out of control
And blowing late leads

HogBreath

Quote from: Otis on December 07, 2014, 06:55:45 pm
It looks exactly the same it has the last 4 years.  People need to just finally realize that this is how his teams play:

No offensive plays, just players creating on there own or for others.

We will give up easy layups and 3's because we switch no matter what. Leaving mismatches everywhere that good teams take advantage of

Rebounding will always suck because of this also

He will recruit athletes with little actual basketball skill to try to be able to scramble on D. Throw in one possible good scorer to help on the offensive end.

He won't play Portis and Kingsley together much, no matter how much people bitch. He believes it hampers his scrambling, switching D.

These are just a few things that won't change this year or any year. Once people realize this, maybe they will tamper down expectations and player blaming.
Spot on Otis.  Our beloved 40 minutes of hell.  I think Virginia Commonwealth has had some success with a similar style, but just real surprised that the system hasn't spread thru out college basketball.  I bet Coach Mike knows something no other coach knows.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

nwahogfan1

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on December 07, 2014, 06:09:03 pm
Mikes job will now be in Jeapordy. If we can't make the dance this year, we lose Portis and Qualls along with the seniors.  :puke:
Still a long ways to go but Mike has to win some games on the road to prove to me and many others he is what we need to take us to the next level.

I think he has to change strategies on the road..  It is a different animal there.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 09, 2014, 08:21:11 pm
Yeah, you're going to tell me how Nolan coached basketball.  You're a Mizzou fan dude.  Mizz  oooo.  Acting smug about that is comical, and you're a typical "know it all" character.  You don't have any idea how we'll finish, or what we'll look like in 2 years.  As of yet, we don't have the physical presence that Mizzou had, nor the tenacity.  That can change with just a few players. 

I know...keep taking shots at MA.  I never wanted him to coach here...I'm on record.  I think Nolan's system worked back in the days you could mug people, and there weren't as many long timeouts, and the world was still a littttle bit less "all about me." 

But guess what...I'll still wish the best for MA, and hope we succeed.  So get off your high horse, root for your little team, and stay up there.   

I am not taking shots at anyone, I am expressing the same opinion that several other folks are yet you take offense when I say it.  darned right I know how Nolan coached, I was living in this state and still live here and attended several games asshat.  Stop trying to shoot the messenger and READ THE FRICKING MESSAGE IT IS THE SAME AS LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF PEOPLE ARE EXPRESSING.  Re read, I root for both unless they are playing each other.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on December 10, 2014, 12:46:15 pm
I am not taking shots at anyone, I am expressing the same opinion that several other folks are yet you take offense when I say it.  darned right I know how Nolan coached, I was living in this state and still live here and attended several games asshat.  Stop trying to shoot the messenger and READ THE FRICKING MESSAGE IT IS THE SAME AS LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF PEOPLE ARE EXPRESSING.  Re read, I root for both unless they are playing each other.

...but you root for Mizzou as your primary.  That's all I need to know.  Most of the posts here from Hog fans are from a concerned standpoint.  Yours have been from a pulpit claiming that you're positive that without a doubt, MA is a bad coach and we're going nowhere with him based on what you say he did at Missouri.  Well...we're not convinced yet that his system is destined for failure.  We're concerned that we're not seeing improvement like we were expecting this season.   

Two COMPLETELY different angles.  We all like Mike, and want him to succeed.  We're not convinced, but we're not at nearly the pessimistic angle you're coming from. 

Paul

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 08, 2014, 09:05:07 pm

I disagree'  Haven't seen anyone stop him without a doubleteam this year.  He just needs the ball.  BTW, he'll be a very good NBA stretch 4 with proper coaching.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Paul on December 10, 2014, 01:51:22 pm

In his defense, in that Clemson game he had an outstanding spin move on the baseline against #50.  Now...he's a Fr., but it was still an indication that he may possess those skills at times, but I don't think he's aggressive enough.  I'll even say that he needs to be more selfish.  He's our best player, and I think the offense should go through him, but that means a slower, more methodical approach in the half-court, and we've yet to see Mike commit to that. 

The difference in the '94 and '95 team (which I believe would beat UCLA 8 out of 10), was that they could play solid half court offense.  The teams before them with Mayberry, Day, and Big O weren't really effective in that role...it was more about turnovers and fast breaks.  The NC team could adapt, and I don't know how much of that was Nolan, or how much was the personnel we had.  Either way...those kids had a fire when they played, and don't see that with this team....yet.  Maybe I'm being too critical. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Otis on December 07, 2014, 06:55:45 pm
It looks exactly the same it has the last 4 years.  People need to just finally realize that this is how his teams play:

No offensive plays, just players creating on there own or for others.

We will give up easy layups and 3's because we switch no matter what. Leaving mismatches everywhere that good teams take advantage of

Rebounding will always suck because of this also

He will recruit athletes with little actual basketball skill to try to be able to scramble on D. Throw in one possible good scorer to help on the offensive end.

He won't play Portis and Kingsley together much, no matter how much people bitch. He believes it hampers his scrambling, switching D.

These are just a few things that won't change this year or any year. Once people realize this, maybe they will tamper down expectations and player blaming.

This is a load. Do you even know what a motion offense is? Eddie Sutton didn't call plays either.

Giving up easy shots is bad defense no matter what style, and it is not planned.

Rebounding isn't the first priority, if the defense is run the right way, but it shouldn't be terrible.

The "athletes with little actual basketball skill" is a load of crap too. Basketball skill is not the problem here, defensive ability is. If he had enough athletes to play defense WHO WOULD PLAY DEFENSE, the Razorbacks would be undefeated.

MA is concerned about having to play without Portis or Kingsley on court. He views Kingsley as the best way he can get Portis off the court. If Kingsley could play alongside Portis without fouling, he would play more.
[CENSORED]!