Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Portis Tweet

Started by WilsonHog, December 05, 2014, 07:41:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rwspear

Quote from: regi on December 05, 2014, 08:15:58 pm
He is talking about the fans, but come on. if they go up there and compete for 40 mins instead of about 18, fans are not quite as cranky. They know that

Learn the sport of basketball or gtfo. You armchair QBs with a Boys and Girls club level of basketball competence need to step away from the computer and stop obnoxiously asserting your layers of ignorance for all of Hogville.

I'm glad the team, players, and coaches actively ignore idiot sports fans on the internet.

rude1

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 06, 2014, 10:55:03 am
IDGAF about other teams fans.  Using them as a measuring stick is just deflecting the fact that our fans are dicks who don't really know WTH they are talking about.
When you use the term "our fans" are you saying you act that way too? That's the point, to expect for us to have every fan behave in a civil manner is naive and just unrealistic. What's even worse is those isolated fans are giving more attention and credit than deserved by using them as the face of the fan base.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: rude1 on December 06, 2014, 11:25:07 am
When you use the term "our fans" are you saying you act that way too? That's the point, to expect for us to have every fan behave in a civil manner is naive and just unrealistic. What's even worse is those isolated fans are giving more attention and credit than deserved by using them as the face of the fan base.
What I'm saying is this: YOU don't be a dick.  I won't be a dick.  If most of our fans adhere to that, it becomes easier to weed out the ones who are dicks and not fans.

Sadly, as evidenced by this board, too many of our fans are dicks to pull any weeds...
All Gas, No Brakes!

rude1

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 06, 2014, 11:27:37 am
What I'm saying is this: YOU don't be a dick.  I won't be a dick.  If most of our fans adhere to that, it becomes easier to weed out the ones who are dicks and not fans.

Sadly, as evidenced by this board, too many of our fans are dicks to pull any weeds...
So you think "most of our fans" don't adhere to good behavior and act like "dicks"? I disagree with that. Expecting that there aren't going to be a level of fans that are over the top is unrealistic. My point is it's no different than any other fan base.

nextlevel

Quote from: rude1 on December 06, 2014, 11:31:00 am
So you think "most of our fans" don't adhere to good behavior and act like "dicks"? I disagree with that. Expecting that there aren't going to be a level of fans that are over the top is unrealistic. My point is it's no different than any other fan base.

I would agree with a large portion of the fanbases who post on message boards or tweet at players love their anonymity when lashing out their frustrations and anger towards 18-22 year old players for their favorite college sporting teams.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Deep Shoat

Quote from: rude1 on December 06, 2014, 11:31:00 am
Our players have minimal contact with most of our fans.  They ones they see are the twits and the MB badasses.

All Gas, No Brakes!

rude1

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 06, 2014, 11:34:25 am
Our players have minimal contact with most of our fans.  They ones they see are the twits and the MB badasses.

Unfortunately it's the twits who tend to seek out the athletes and want to be part of their world. They represent a microscopic sample of the number of actual fans out there but they are the ones who will be the most vocal. Athletes need to understand this.

nextlevel

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 06, 2014, 11:34:25 am

Exactly, its to the point today where good times and success is expected, not appreciated and enjoyed.

Doesn't matter the fanbase/team/etc.

Small circles are formed during the good times. Large circles are formed during the bad, both circles filled with jerkers.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

rude1

Quote from: nextlevel on December 06, 2014, 11:37:54 am
Exactly, its to the point today where good times and success is expected, not appreciated and enjoyed.

Doesn't matter the fanbase/team/etc.

Small circles are formed during the good times. Large circles are formed during the bad, both circles filled with jerkers.
Agreed and very well said.

nextlevel

Quote from: rude1 on December 06, 2014, 11:37:50 am
Unfortunately it's the twits who tend to seek out the athletes and want to be part of their world. They represent a microscopic sample of the number of actual fans out there but they are the ones who will be the most vocal. Athletes need to understand this.

They likely do understand this.

But lets say you work for a company with several higher ups than you, you bust your ass everyday and do the best job you can, nothing is said, you make mistake one day and that is all you hear about for days, you more than make up for the mistake a few days later, again nothing is said.

It would get old quick.

ell oh ell

mhuff

Quote from: nextlevel on December 06, 2014, 11:14:02 am
I don't think any of them expect false praise after a loss.

I do think several of them expect their feeds to be 50/50 through out a season, but the reality is they see more of a 10/90 in +/- column. 10% praise after a wins, 90 % negative after a loss or poor performance.

Its no different than the traffic of this forum, but on a personal scale via twitter.

Next, there are young people who only want to hear you praise them.... nothing else.... Bobby does not impress me as being in that group. Bobby chose to be a Razorback and influenced Kingsley to join as well. He did not go with others but remained loyal. I only have the highest of respect for him. I certainly have passed out praise for Harris in that game. I believe in giving credit where credit is due.... good or bad. I am not jumping off the MA wagon ,but this is his year to show me something if I am to admire his coaching. I have questions. Still, I think his game management is better this year..... I would like to see a more aggressive attitude and game plan though. i.e. after a time out I would like to see a set play for an easy basket as others are doing to us. I want to see a press where we are smothering the opposition instead of giving them the keys to the kingdom........ Smothering I said. I want to see some coaching...... We have the talent to do great things.

rude1

Quote from: nextlevel on December 06, 2014, 11:39:47 am
They likely do understand this.

But lets say you work for a company with several higher ups than you, you bust your ass everyday and do the best job you can, nothing is said, you make mistake one day and that is all you hear about for days, you more than make up for the mistake a few days later, again nothing is said.

It would get old quick.
I understand this but if the criticism was going to come from social media, I would probably refrain from using it after making a mistake if I knew that's where the criticism was going to come from.

nextlevel

Quote from: mhuff on December 06, 2014, 11:41:08 am
Next, there are young people who only want to hear you praise them.... nothing else.... Bobby does not impress me as being in that group. Bobby chose to be a Razorback and influenced Kingsley to join as well. He did not go with others but remained loyal. I only have the highest of respect for him. I certainly have passed out praise for Harris in that game. I believe in giving credit where credit is due.... good or bad. I am not jumping off the MA wagon ,but this is his year to show me something if I am to admire his coaching. I have questions. Still, I think his game management is better this year..... I would like to see a more aggressive attitude and game plan though. i.e. after a time out I would like to see a set play for an easy basket as others are doing to us. I want to see a press where we are smothering the opposition instead of giving them the keys to the kingdom........ Smothering I said. I want to see some coaching...... We have the talent to do great things.

Oh, I agree that some can't handle criticism, but most what they hear couldn't be considered criticism, much less constructive criticism.

The rest of your post might be why this occurs, several of these people have a narrow mindset of their thoughts of what a team should do and how they should do it is the only way it can be done.

Instead of using basic reasoning skills during analysis to figure out what the team/coach is doing, it isn't what "I" think they should be doing so its wrong. 

ell oh ell

LSPRazorbac

Always remember.....When everyone stops complaining and raising hell, it doesn't mean they support you, it means they have completely given up on you.

Ranting about losses and players shows how a fanbase is emotionally and mentally vested into the team.

You don't necessarily want to lose that.

mhuff

Nextlevel, I do admit that some of us have an opinion on how the game of BB should be played. We were taught a certain way. We have seen coaches that have those same philosophies which when we see them used to success we admire the coaching. When we see glaring flaws, we question those flaws. Personally, I would like to see more discussion on here of game plan and player fundamentals. These are just things that are interesting to me.... i.e. I would like to see Portis score more off the pick and roll. If a person offers an opinion others can agree or disagree to their hearts content.... but say why or why not such and such will work or not work. If you see a player's fundamentals that are lacking identify them and see if that player improves over the course of the season.

nextlevel

Quote from: mhuff on December 06, 2014, 12:16:23 pm
Nextlevel, I do admit that some of us have an opinion on how the game of BB should be played. We were taught a certain way. We have seen coaches that have those same philosophies which when we see them used to success we admire the coaching. When we see glaring flaws, we question those flaws. Personally, I would like to see more discussion on here of game plan and player fundamentals. These are just things that are interesting to me.... i.e. I would like to see Portis score more off the pick and roll. If a person offers an opinion others can agree or disagree to their hearts content.... but say why or why not such and such will work or not work. If you see a player's fundamentals that are lacking identify them and see if that player improves over the course of the season.

I would say the major flaw with a pick and roll offense is that only 2 players are involved in an offense meaning less of a scoring opportunity from the five on the court.

I would say the beauty of the motion offense is that all 5 are working together and any one of the five could have an open shot.

One isn't better than the other, all have flaws.

ell oh ell

Ugly Uncle

Have you see the Jimmy Kimmell "mean tweets"?  So funny.

Some people are going to be dumb, rude and mean on social media.  Maybe we should defend our players a littlle more.  When you see someone that is saying stupid things to one of our players, we blow up THEIR twitter with the same kind of treatment they are giving to one of our coaches or players.  Just a thought.  I'll support you if you do.

UU
Retired Radio Host

WilsonHog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 06, 2014, 12:24:42 pm

Some people are going to be dumb, rude and mean on social media.  Maybe we should defend our players a littlle more.  When you see someone that is saying stupid things to one of our players, we blow up THEIR twitter with the same kind of treatment they are giving to one of our coaches or players.  Just a thought.  I'll support you if you do.

UU

I like that idea.

Dr. Starcs

Nextlevel, if you think all 5 players defensively aren't forced to adjust against a pick and roll, you are mistaken.

When those adjustments take place, it creates opportunities for the other 3 offensive players.

nextlevel

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 06, 2014, 12:27:27 pm
Nextlevel, if you think all 5 players defensively aren't forced to adjust against a pick and roll, you are mistaken.

When those adjustments take place, it creates opportunities for the other 3 offensive players.

2 players involved in a play with 3 standing around watching isn't my idea of a good play.

Hedging your bets towards missed shots by having a player standing on the back side of a play involving 2-3 players for rebounding opportunities to pass out and run another set isn't my idea of good play.

If I wanted to watch ISO plays involving 1-3 players, there are plenty of NBA games to choose from.

ell oh ell

secfan30

UU

This is actually a great idea

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: secfan30 on December 06, 2014, 12:44:06 pm
This is actually a great idea

Then let us know the worst offenders and lets get after them.
Retired Radio Host

mhuff

Quote from: nextlevel on December 06, 2014, 12:22:19 pm
I would say the major flaw with a pick and roll offense is that only 2 players are involved in an offense meaning less of a scoring opportunity from the five on the court.

I would say the beauty of the motion offense is that all 5 are working together and any one of the five could have an open shot.

One isn't better than the other, all have flaws.

If you have the opportunity for a pick and roll, it sets up a scenario for a high percentage shot. You don't see the coaches at all levels taking advantage of this?? Pick and roll has been basic forever..... at all levels. If we had made more points in the game earlier from inside shots, we would not have had to shot ourselves back into the game as the announcers stated. Also, teams will normally have more success going through the inside before shooting outside. Also stated by the announcers. It is just BB101.We need to be less guard oriented with the talent we have..... Take advantage of your strengths ...... we haven't had these advantages in a long time.

HSVhogfan2

The same things that make AR fans so passionate, also makes some of them so obnoxious. I will contend, that 60-70 percent of the folks that post on Hogville and 75% or more that follow players on Twitter are not sports fans, only AR fans. A lot of it is living vicariously through the lives of these players. I do not think they represent the average AR fan.

If, on a random Sunday in June, you had the Kentucky Derby, the Masters, game 7 of the NBA, and the Super Bowl all on the same day, DTS would be full of callers the next day wanting to discuss who the 3rd string RB was going to be in the upcoming football season.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Dr. Starcs

Nextlevel, your post wasnt about what constitutes "good basketball". You stated that it was the major flaw of pick and roll offense.

Obviously, 90+% of college and nba coaches disagree with you.

intelligence

UU

I'm pretty new to twitter, but how exactly do you see other peoples conversations? when i looked at Bobby's profile on twitter, i didn't see any mean tweets from fans.. just wondering if there is an option that will let me see what other people are saying to him or watever

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 05, 2014, 07:41:53 pm
@BPortistime: "Crazy how u gotta wait till it's dark outside to see who really with u."

Indeed, Bobby. Indeed.

Absolutely positively 100% correct.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

WarPig88

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 05, 2014, 07:41:53 pm
@BPortistime: "Crazy how u gotta wait till it's dark outside to see who really with u."

Indeed, Bobby. Indeed.

I'm with him. This team is going to have a great season.

I remember the NC team getting blitzed by UMass early and making the championship game against UCLA.

Some people need to relax.

TNhawgfan

If players get a lot of crap from idiots on twitter they can always delete their account. I've been a high school baseball coach for years and i don't want to hear some idiot parents say something online that would make me mad so I'm not on twitter and am very selective of who i add on Facebook.  If you have an account prepare for idiots to tweet you
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

rude1

Quote from: WarPig88 on December 06, 2014, 03:26:26 pm
I'm with him. This team is going to have a great season.

I remember the NC team getting blitzed by UMass early and making the championship game against UCLA.

Some people need to relax.
Bad comparison IMO, that was a team defending a NC, you knew they were a good team having an awful night. This is a team coming off a late season collapse and a NIT bid, we have no idea how good or bad this team is yet.

JRHoward

Having been an 18 to 22 yr old myself, and surviving the raising of two of them.... I make it a habit to NOT bash players period.....  Hate to see a player getting into it......Wooooo Pig!
Woooo Pig!

PonderinHog

Quote from: rude1 on December 06, 2014, 03:56:30 pm
Bad comparison IMO, that was a team defending a NC, you knew they were a good team having an awful night. This is a team coming off a late season collapse and a NIT bid, we have no idea how good or bad this team is yet.
They're good.  Great?  Not quite.

dsims2k3

It only helps recruiting, right?
I think not. .. :-\
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

rude1

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 06, 2014, 04:20:36 pm
They're good.  Great?  Not quite.
To be determined. They are nothing more IMO than potential at this point. Waiting to see consistency before I would even say they are a good team.

Hog1751

I sure look forward to the day when I can come on jump ball and not have to sift through all the bullcrap. If you cant see we are a team on the rise maybe you need glasses.

dsims2k3

Quote from: Hog1751 on December 06, 2014, 04:45:28 pm
I sure look forward to the day when I can come on jump ball and not have to sift through all the bullcrap. If you cant see we are a team on the rise maybe you need glasses.

Absolutely correct.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

ErieHog

It'll just change;  the goalposts will move.  'WE made the tournament, but didn't win';  'we won one game, but haven't made it out of the first weekend' ; 'we made it to the Sweet 16, but have a long way to go to compete for the title';   'we're in the final four, but don't belong',  etc.
No cause, ever, in the history of all mankind, has produced more cold-blooded tyrants, more slaughtered innocents, and more orphans than socialism with power. It surpassed, exponentially, all other systems of production in turning out the dead. The bodies are all around us. And here is the problem: No one talks about them. No one honors them. No one does penance for them. No one has committed suicide for having been an apologist for those who did this to them. No one pays for them. No one is hunted down to account for them. It is exactly what Solzhenitsyn foresaw in The Gulag Archipelago: "No, no one would have to answer. No one would be looked into." Until that happens, there is no "after socialism."

Speedracer

I obviously can't speak to what others tweet to players because I have no idea on some of the extreme examples.  I certainly agree there are some nut jobs out there that cross the line.  Of course when you get personal with someone that's across the line but I don't have any problem with a good portion of the critical posts on hogville...well the ones I see that don't get deleted.  I know you can't police it, but if I was a coach I'd probably be really against social media.  I think more harm than good comes out of it for athletes.

Like smites bother me.

Atlhogfan1

The conversation about ISU has almost died.  This thread is about it.

Be happy fans still care and aren't apathetic to the program as many aren't the same level of fans they once were and it is somewhat evidenced by attendance.  When the fans stop having expectations, the program will have little chance to reach its potential.  Now some don't want expectations so that the bar of approval and what can be deemed as success can be moved frequently. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Speedracer on December 06, 2014, 04:59:47 pm
I obviously can't speak to what others tweet to players because I have no idea on some of the extreme examples.  I certainly agree there are some nut jobs out there that cross the line.  Of course when you get personal with someone that's across the line but I don't have any problem with a good portion of the critical posts on hogville...well the ones I see that don't get deleted.  I know you can't police it, but if I was a coach I'd probably be really against social media.  I think more harm than good comes out of it for athletes.

Twitter is stupid.  So is Facebook for that matter.  I agree that coaches should advise against social media although by the time they get to college they are already addicted. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hog1751

I understand what you are saying ATL But some of the posters on jumpball do nothing but tear the team and coach down at every turn. It would be nice to be able to read a thread from time to time where certain posters had not jumped into the fray with no purpose but to argue and throw gas on a fire that they themselves started.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 06, 2014, 05:06:01 pm
Twitter is stupid.  So is Facebook for that matter.  I agree that coaches should advise against social media although by the time they get to college they are already addicted. 
You had me at twitter is stupid
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

sickboy

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 05, 2014, 10:30:57 pm
I have a simple rule: always side with players and coaches, never with fans.

This is generally a good rule.

PonderinHog

Quote from: TNhawgfan on December 06, 2014, 05:54:56 pm
You had me at twitter is stupid
I guess I'm old school.  I liked it better when it was called "taint."

WarPig88

Quote from: rude1 on December 06, 2014, 03:56:30 pm

Fantastic comparison. You made my point brilliantly.

It's so early that a loss like that on the road really means nothing. Good teams can still get blown out on the road, especially EARLY in a season.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: ErieHog on December 06, 2014, 04:56:45 pm
It'll just change;  the goalposts will move.  'WE made the tournament, but didn't win';  'we won one game, but haven't made it out of the first weekend' ; 'we made it to the Sweet 16, but have a long way to go to compete for the title';   'we're in the final four, but don't belong',  etc.

There is a vocal minority of the fanbase that will never think MA should be here short of him winning a NC. The same with when Nolan was here. And for the same reason.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

TeufelHog

uhhhh . . . how about just win the road game and you won't have to worry about "how dark it is outside!"

BentonvilleJeff

Those who bitch and complain are the ones who always howl at the moon the loudest. Just like business. Those who complain usually tell 7 others not to go there. Satisfied customers usually tell one person to go.

WilsonHog

Quote from: TeufelHog on December 06, 2014, 08:09:03 pm
uhhhh . . . how about just win the road game and you won't have to worry about "how dark it is outside!"

I thought if we played great we'd only lose by 10.

HSVhogfan2

December 06, 2014, 08:21:05 pm #99 Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:41:16 pm by HSVhogfan2
Quote from: WilsonHog on December 06, 2014, 08:18:31 pm
I thought if we played great we'd only lose by 10.

Exactly. I don't think even KY beats ISU that night in their gym. If you have good guard play and shoot it that well, there is no defense for it.

Veni Sancte Spiritus