Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tax Refund(s) Yes/No"

Started by HawgWild, February 05, 2018, 10:37:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

Filed my taxes last Friday. Owed money to the Feds as I have every year since the 1980s. Got to thinking, a lot of people look forward to getting a refund. I'm more of the camp that wants to avoid giving Uncle Same an interest free loan. In fact, I try to owe right up to the line before a penalty kicks in. (I've had to pay a penalty twice over the years and that's no fun at all.)

Do you try to manage your withholding to get a good amount back? Pay in or little id any? Never really mattered? Your finances are too complext to do this?

Just curious.

woodrow hog call

We most always have to pay in more, I guess I should look at it as getting to use Uncle Sam's money for most of the year before I have to pay him back, but I have a hard time doing that. I guess it's all about perspective, maybe I need to change mine.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

widespreadsooie

I try to true up taxes mid year in order to break around even.

CSCSW

I'm just getting into investing and know very little. Why is it that "we" I'm guessing the we meant as fellow investors are having to pay on?

widespreadsooie

Quote from: CSCSW on February 05, 2018, 04:35:48 pm
I'm just getting into investing and know very little. Why is it that "we" I'm guessing the we meant as fellow investors are having to pay on?

Interest, dividends, capital gains derived from stock, other capital gains, business investments, real estate investments. Basically anything that makes a dollar that doesn't derive from your job.

zane

I try to break about even.

This year will be interesting though. Next year even more..
RIP LSUfan

DeltaBoy

With all those medical bills we got $4,700 back.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HawgWild

Just adding up your insurance premiums gets you a good start on this deduction.

kodiakisland

I would never, ever get a refund on purpose.  I almost always owe.  The trick is to owe, but not enough to pay the penalty.  Never, ever give the government an interest free loan.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

NuttinItUp

Quote from: kodiakisland on February 23, 2018, 08:10:48 pm
I would never, ever get a refund on purpose.  I almost always owe.  The trick is to owe, but not enough to pay the penalty.  Never, ever give the government an interest free loan.

^^^This^^^

People get so happy about getting money back around tax time, and I always just shake my head thinking, if you had invested that money instead, you would have more. Entirely the wrong approach to get money back from the government.

(Note: I fully understand most people have no will power, so this may be the only way they would have this sum of money because they would have pissed it away anyway.)

tasteslikechicken

I take my beating every year in early April.

widespreadsooie

DeltaBoy

We use it to pay for College and Summer School and for some trip during the summer.  We tryed the other way and did not like having to 800 to 1,200 bucks to pay them.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HawgWild

Filed my Federal/state taxes on-line 2/2 and got my state refund check on 2/25. Nothing back from the Feds. I owe them.

HiggiePiggy

I sold my rental property. We owe this year.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hawgrunner

I'd like to break even but always paying.

HawgWild

I have paid the Feds every year since the mid 1980's. The State, never paid in to them.

bulldog04

I just got into cattle farming a couple years ago and have gotten a refund every year. It's just a small operation. I've always paid or got a small amount back