Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

V Bama

Started by flippinhogmana, January 05, 2018, 11:53:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

January 05, 2018, 11:53:52 pm Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 08:25:03 am by flippinhogmana
I suppose in a rebuilding year every game is pivotal.  But I sense this game is a cut about that in importance.  For  a quarter and a half we playing nose to nose with a final four team of last year and likely to be this year.  That stretch was by far the best we had played all year and against topflight competition at that.  We also did it on the road - which is significant in itself - we played about as well as we could play before we ran out of steam.

If we got anything from that game, from that stretch, and we are able to build upon that against Bama at home, it should show up in a solid victory.  This game will prove the progress of this team one way or another.  It would not be the end of the world or the program if we lost, but it would certainly be a major setback. 

Bama has a 6-5 and a 6-3 girl (Walker and Knight who are both sophomores) who play the bulk of the minutes at center (no twin tower looks) - they have played 35, and 30 minutes combined in their two games of conference play.  They have combined for 10 and 13 points respectively in those two conference games.  they have combined for two and 10 boards respectively in those two games as well.

They are not significant low post scoring options.  The bulk of the tide offense is in their guards as it is with our team.  As such we match up well with them.  If we win this game, particularly if we win convincingly, it will put us at 2-1 and in a better position for the road trip coming up.

game time is at 3pm on Sunday - support the team at Bud if you are able - otherwise the game will be broadcast on the SECTV network via internet if you dont have any other package that provides it.  It has now been picked up by the network on their broadcast channel, not just via internet.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

coach neighbors preview of the Bama game and some comments on the Ms State game and about some of the players.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/?cat=12
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

After watching Tennessee against Vanderbilt today, I would have to say that they are definitely beatable.

flippinhogmana

from what I can see all the teams in the conference are beatable -  SC losing to Mizzou, cunningham is back and with 25 points - and Tenner and MS State both looked beatable today

flippinhogmana

our broadcast hasnt started yet

flippinhogmana

Part of the reason why SC and Ms State look beatable is because they are playing on the road today.

flippinhogmana

game just posted and we are up 4-0, dont know how

flippinhogmana

monk scores and its 6-2 hogs
kind of ragged play

flippinhogmana

mason misses a three
williams hit with a charge on a drive
refs are over calling the charge this year
tide hits a three and its 6-5 hogs
mason answers with a two, and the tide hits a three to tie it at eight

flippinhogmana

flippinhogmana

live stats aren't working today

flippinhogmana

cosper on the drive is fouled and will go to the line, hits the first, and the second 10-8 hogs,
tide score on a put back, 10-10

flippinhogmana

hogs not shooting particularly well, but playing good defense generally
swinson, thomas and RnB have been in for the hogs for a while

flippinhogmana

swinson hits a three off a feed from cosper, hogs 13-10

flippinhogmana

bama scores inside 13-12

flippinhogmana

bama scores again inside 14-13 tide and that is the score at the end of the first quarter as mason misses a shot at the buzzer

flippinhogmana

we are going to have to do a better job inside

flippinhogmana

bama opens the quarter with the ball and misses inside and fouls
cosper with the board
cosper drives and scores to retake the lead, 15-14
bama hits a three to answer and retake the lead 17-15
williams deals inside and scores to tie it up at 17
tide travels inside

flippinhogmana

zimmer picks up her third foul fighting for an offensive board
they say it was her second but they siad earlier she had picked up her second
tide scores twice inside to take a four point lead and the hogs turn it over and monk fouls on the run out, hogs down four with the tide with the ball, tide scores again inside up by six with six and a half to go in the quarter
monk with a wild shot that goes, 23-19 tide

flippinhogmana

monk forces a foul on the drive and hits the first, and the second, hogs down two now, 23-21

flippinhogmana

tide turns it over, hogs with a chance to tie or go ahead after being down six, monk throws it away trying to feed williams and the tide hits a three to go up five, 26-21mason misses but gets her own board and cosper spins and hits, 26-23

flippinhogmana

tide is getting the ball in too deep in the post, hogs need to adjust, not just play behind the post player
tide to the line when we return (another media time out)

flippinhogmana

tide make both free throws, 28-23 tide
monk misses a wide open three
tide scores again inside 30-23
mason misses a three
this is one of those games where the hogs dont appear to be able to throw i in the ocean
cosper hits a midrange jumper to bring it back to five

flippinhogmana

cosper is fouled inside will go to the line, hits the first and the second, hogs down by three, 30-27
tide miss a three
1:34 to go, williams miss inside
charge called on the tide
cosper three hits off the front rim
hogs down three with less than a minute to go, monk hits a deep two, hogs down one with less than thirty to go, but the tide scores inside deep, to go back up by three, but williams misses inside and the hog go to the locker rom down by three, 32-29

flippinhogmana

cosper with ten points and eight rebounds
monk with eight points,
mason and williams with four, swenson with three
and zimmer does have three fouls, monk with two

flippinhogmana

at least the hogs are 6-6 at the line (cosper four for four and monk, two for two)
and they only have five turnovers
but their shooting greatly needs to improve as does their interior defense,
shooting only 11-39 from the field and 1-11 on threes

flippinhogmana

tide 13-34 from the field and 4-11 on threes
tide has only four turnovers

flippinhogmana

cosper leading with points (ten) boards (eight) and assists (two, monk has zero)

flippinhogmana

second half about to start
hogs with the ball to start, monk misses
tide miss inside
zimmer turns it over and the tide scores easily inside up by five
but then zimmer gets a good feed for an easy bucket for williams, hogs back to within three
monk drives, draws a foul, will go to the line, hits the first and the second (actually it was cosper, now with twelve pints) hogs within one, but the tide answer inside, then monk drives, scores and is fouled, has a chance to tie it up but misses the ft, 36-35 tide, tide turns it over
monk turns it over

flippinhogmana

tide scores inside on the drive back up by three, but mason ties it with a three from the corner, 38-38, mason now with seven
tide turns it  over, hogs with a chance to take the lead

flippinhogmana

now they give ht eball to the tide,
tide hits a three at the end of the shot call and go back up by three
41-38
6:14 to go
mason drives and turns it over tide gets the call on the drive and monk picks up her third
RnB comes in

flippinhogmana

tide hits the first, up by four and misses the second
cosper hits a two (foot on the line on a step back) hogs down down two
cosper now with fourteen
looks like cosper is going to have to do it today, hits a runer and draws the foul, ties it up and the ft is good and gives the hogs the lead by one 43-42

flippinhogmana

cosper now with 17 points and 10 boards
bad officiating gives tide the ball after their post player tips it out of bound on a miss

flippinhogmana

mason, RnB, zimmer, williams and cosper in
tide to the line, misses the first, (thomas comes in now) tide misses the second but gets the board,
tide is fouling like mad, got called this time
thomas at the line, hits the first, and and the second hogs by three 45-42
tide score inside to bring it back to one
swenson answers with a three, hogs by four, 48-44 but tide anser inside

flippinhogmana

hogs called for a foul that turns the ball over
hogs up by two (48-46 at 3:13) mason hits a three, has ten now
hogs 51-46

flippinhogmana

Rnb on a drive got the mason to wide open mason outside
3:03 to go in the third when play resumes, tide ball
tide miss inside
Rnb misses a midrange jumper
tide turn it over Rnb with the steal
tide fouls cosper who hits the first and and the second, nineteen points now and the hogs lead is now seven

flippinhogmana

tide score inside to cut it back to five
hogsmiss
tide miss and cosper with another board, but mason misses on the other end
still at five and tide turn it over but hogs return the favor on the runout and then foul the tide down low
tide hit the first, and miss the second but get the offensive board again
swenson fouls on the drive, tide back to the line with the hog lead at four
misses the first, and hits the second, hogs by three 53-50

flippinhogmana

hogs with the last shot of the quarer, Rnb drives and scores to put the lead back to five, 55-50 entering the 4th quarter.

flippinhogmana

cosper with 19 points (9-9 from the line), 11 boards and three assists

flippinhogmana

tide start the quarter with the ball, swenson gets a block down low, but then a foul, tide to the line, his the first and (monk back in btw) and the second back to a three point game, monk drives misses, gets the board but then turns it over her fourth,
cosper called for a phantom foul on the other end, tide to the line, hits the first, and the second, one point gfame
monk turns it over again,
get mason back in
tide airballs a three

flippinhogmana

monk drives and scores with the left hand, hogs back up by three, devin cosper picks up the foul on the drive, non shooting
tide turn it over (block by Rnb)monk hits a three, hogs by six 60-54

flippinhogmana

tide getting every break on the calls, somebody needs to get on the refs,
monk now with 15 poiints
tide hits the first ft, and the second four point game, 60-56
hogs nearly turn it over, refs say they do, anothe attrocious call
tide gets the offensive board,
tide gets another friendly call and will go back to the line, pure bull darn fouls, now a technical on mason

flippinhogmana

tide hits the first ft (technical) and the second, two point game
now the regular fts (hits the first and misses the second cosper with the board, hogs turn it over
tide with the chance to regain the lead (with a lot of help from the refs), score inside and the tide up by one, 61-60
6:45 to go
hogs turn it over (mason)
tide has hit only one fg this quarter all the other points are really at the charity stripe - these refs need to be run out of town on a rail.

Sow’sEar

I've just gotten home and only been able to watch since midway through the third quarter, but my observation is this:  we are getting multiple horrible calls...

flippinhogmana

pure bs officiating

flippinhogmana

yeah we were about to beat down the tide until the refs starting playing, now our girls are a little rattled
tide now with the ball,
another call for the tide, tide to the line again, surprise, first ft hits, and the second also, tide by three

flippinhogmana

tide on a nine oh run thanks in large part to the refs one bucket the rest fts monk gets an offensive board and a mid range jumper brings the hogs back to within one, 63-62, tide hits a three for a four point lead
cosper misses
williams throws it away after she steals it and a runout gives the tide a six point lead, hogs demoralized all due to the refs

Rocket23

They are giving this game away.  How many passes in the fourth quarter alone have they given away by lackadaisical passing.

flippinhogmana

hogs time out, its a little late but MN needs to chew bigtime on the refs, they have done a terrible one-sided job
mason hits a two, back to a four point game, and tide miss, zimmer gets an offensive board, cosper drives, scores and is fouled, could cut it to one, hits, 22 points for cosper, tide by one and they miss at the other end, hogs with a chance to regain the lead, 68-67
monk stops and pops and hogs back up by one, 69-68

flippinhogmana

tide answer, cosper misses, tide take a time out with two minutes to go