Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need Help on Crappie Fishing Beaver Lake

Started by gcraise1, February 18, 2017, 09:39:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gcraise1

Was hoping you guys could help me with where to fish for crappie on beaver lake. I went this morning and fished Avoca cove. I used minnows and tried fishing different depths and all I could catch was a few smallmouth. I been twice this month and just cant seem to catch a single crappie. I catch bass only. Can someone tell me where you go, what you fish with, and the depth? I haven't crappie fished in many years and really seem to be struggling. Thank you for your help!

jdelo77

In the river 10-15 FOW water , off the main channel or in brush piles . Warmer days look for them shallower in wind blown coves or pockets ..

hogbud

If you're not using modern electronics I'd invest there. Amazing technology over past few years makes it easy to locate structure and baitfish. Website crappie.com has Arkansas link with chatter on Beaver too.

springdaleone

Try OzarkAnglers.com. In the forums section under Beaver lake there are several recent reports on crappie. Super group of folks over there very willing to help, just be respectful and ask.

ricepig

I'm real good on the eating part, so when you catch a mess and fry them up, send me a message.

gcraise1

Thank you guys for all the help!!!! Definitely taking notes and going to the websites you suggested. Please feel free to make more suggestions, really need all the help I can get right now. Thank you all again!!!

jkstock04

Quote from: gcraise1 on February 18, 2017, 09:39:18 pm
Was hoping you guys could help me with where to fish for crappie on beaver lake. I went this morning and fished Avoca cove. I used minnows and tried fishing different depths and all I could catch was a few smallmouth. I been twice this month and just cant seem to catch a single crappie. I catch bass only. Can someone tell me where you go, what you fish with, and the depth? I haven't crappie fished in many years and really seem to be struggling. Thank you for your help!

I don't consider myself an expert but I think I know a little 101.

I've been taking advantage of the weather this month and going at least once/week. Prob gonna go tomorrow and Thursday considering the weather. I have no idea where Avoca cove is? And I don't think I've ever caught a smallmouth bass on Beaver lake in my entire life. I mainly fish from around Hickory creek south past Blue Springs. I like to time it a day or two before a front is gonna move through.

I've got some new graphs but haven't mastered them yet. I fish by myself if it's not the weekend, and fish both minnows and jigs. Usually have 1 or 2 minnow rigs out and one jig rig working. You will get hung up a lot more doing this, and it's a lot more work...but also double/triple your chance for catching fish. I've been using a slip bobber with bobber stops. Split shot 10 inches or so above minnow/jig. If you don't know how to do this you can YouTube it. The rubber bobber stops are the best, but 100% out of stock everywhere right now. Even cabelas. If you can't find any just use a piece of small rubber band and tie tight knot.

If you are using a jig it's important to have a swivel on the jig for presentation sakes. If not it's gonna be standing straight up and down looking dumb and you will miss most bites in my experience.

I've found the most important thing is finding their depth and figuring out a pattern. If you aren't getting any bites within 15 minutes or so try something different! I had to learn this the hard way...something about insanity doing the same thing over and over yet expecting different results.

Time yourself...if within 15-20 minutes nothing is working start going to different colors/different depth heights. Get the hell out of there and go somewhere else. Use a slip bobber with a bobber stop...this is essential in my opinion this time of year when the water is still 50ish degrees, throwing jigs and reeling in at a normal speed will look unnatural this time of year. Come mid March-early April when the water warms up simply slow reeling a jig will work better.

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

BroyledNutts

Avoca can be a little fickle this time of year until water temps climb above 60 degrees ... I have no idea what the temp is right now, but with the water levels being so low locating fish is going to be shifted slightly compared to normal years.

For that area of the lake, usually brush piles are king ... try to find piles or fish attractors in less than 20 feet of water near channel edges and you should find fish ... post up and fish slow, at varying depths from 2ft off the bottom to a couple feet above the pile, try not to cast a boat shadow directly over the brush pile - sit back a little from the pile and try to cast in a way that covers not only the top of the pile but works the outer edges as well ... on breezy days, use the wind current to troll jigs slowly along the channel edge in an effort to pull through larger schools of fish ... once you hit one, remember the depth and try to replicate, or work back over the same area. If you hit a few in a row, slow down and replicate the depth and the cast and work the area thoroughly, using jigs, or minnows under slip bobbers set to the active depth ... if the bite dries up move on ... hitting a couple pods of fish this way will help set a pattern to follow for the day. Jig color preferences may change throughout the day, but white, chartreuse, and smoke (in clear water) are good starting points ... use green or low vis line and try to go as light as you feel comfortable using.

Go rip 'em ....

DeltaBoy

Try those bright yellow lead headed jig

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.