Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown X

Started by McKdaddy, February 19, 2016, 11:21:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dropkick

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 13, 2016, 12:18:51 am
Waino still is not back to form. I think we also miss Lynn more than we think.
Good point, Lance Lynn is sorely missed so far, imho.

jbell96

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 12, 2016, 10:58:26 pm
A lot of good questions to ponder. I'm thinking Pham gets squeezed.

I think Tejeda should get squeezed, but Matheny for some reason thinks he's useful, which just absolutely baffles me. Once Peralta gets back that dude needs to get cut.

ChicoHog

Watching my Dodgers play your Cards this weekend (on TV-not at the game) and was shocked to see how many errors the Cards have this year.  Last night their D was horrible and the first play of tonight's game they made an error.  Since then though Seager has two errors for the Dodgers so they're not the only ones struggling in the field.  Dodgers up 4-1 right now in the 6th.  Kazmir actually pitching well which is a shock. 

pigture perfect

You're right Chico. We couldn't catch a cold at this point.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ChicoHog

Roberts made a bonehead move today.  He should have let Howell pitch to Freyer even though Howell is left handed and Freyer right handed.  Much rather that than have anyone pitch to Molina.  At least Dodgers won 2 of 3.  Angels now for next 4 games-2 in Chavez Ravine and then 2 in Anaheim. 

pigture perfect

Good luck Chico, the rest of the way.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

jbell96

I really hope Matheny sticks with the lineup from last night. Diaz is the prototypical 2 hole hitter & Piscotty while not prototypical for the clean up spot, makes a lot more sense than Adams, Grichuk, or Yadi.

Carpenter
Diaz
Holliday
Piscotty
Adams
Yadi
Grichuk/Pham/Hazelbaker
Wong/Gyorko
Pitcher

jrulz83

Quote from: jbell96 on May 20, 2016, 02:41:24 pm
I really hope Matheny sticks with the lineup from last night. Diaz is the prototypical 2 hole hitter & Piscotty while not prototypical for the clean up spot, makes a lot more sense than Adams, Grichuk, or Yadi.

Carpenter
Diaz
Holliday
Piscotty
Adams
Yadi
Grichuk/Pham/Hazelbaker
Wong/Gyorko
Pitcher

It certainly worked for one night. I wouldn't mind experimenting with Diaz in the one hole and dropping Carpenter down. Diaz strikes out very little, has a .400 obp, and has some speed. Hard to supplant Carpenter from leadoff though.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

pigture perfect

I think I would leave Carp n the lead off spot just because of experience and patience. Diaz will get there one day, if he keeps improving.

jbell96

Quote from: jrulz83 on May 20, 2016, 03:54:43 pm
It certainly worked for one night. I wouldn't mind experimenting with Diaz in the one hole and dropping Carpenter down. Diaz strikes out very little, has a .400 obp, and has some speed. Hard to supplant Carpenter from leadoff though.

I would actually love to see Carp get some time in the 3 hole, but outside of Diaz, not sure who else could hit at the top of the order in front of him. Maybe put Holliday in the 2 hole and have Diaz lead off?

jrulz83

Quote from: jbell96 on May 23, 2016, 09:44:59 am
I would actually love to see Carp get some time in the 3 hole, but outside of Diaz, not sure who else could hit at the top of the order in front of him. Maybe put Holliday in the 2 hole and have Diaz lead off?

I'd like to see this experiment at some point this season:

1] Diaz SS
2] Piscotty RF
3] Carpenter 1B
4] Holliday LF
5] Peralta 3B
6] Grichuk CF
7] Molina C
8] Wong 2B

Holliday is so bad right now though, I'm not sure what to do with him. My hope is he follows his normal seasonal curve and becomes torrid around the AS break.

jbell96

Quote from: jrulz83 on May 23, 2016, 12:37:21 pm
I'd like to see this experiment at some point this season:

1] Diaz SS
2] Piscotty RF
3] Carpenter 1B
4] Holliday LF
5] Peralta 3B
6] Grichuk CF
7] Molina C
8] Wong 2B

Holliday is so bad right now though, I'm not sure what to do with him. My hope is he follows his normal seasonal curve and becomes torrid around the AS break.

I really like that lineup you posted. Peralta's range at SS is getting worse and worse, so moving him somewhere that he doesn't have to cover as much ground, 3rd, would make a ton of sense. Carp is an average at best 3rd baseman, so I'd love seeing him get time at 1st.

pigture perfect

Great walk off by Gritchuk last night. Any win against the Cubs is a good one.

southarkhog06

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 24, 2016, 10:05:47 am
Great walk off by Gritchuk last night. Any win against the Cubs is a good one.
Kudos, it was a good game.

jrulz83

Quote from: jbell96 on May 23, 2016, 01:44:18 pm
I really like that lineup you posted. Peralta's range at SS is getting worse and worse, so moving him somewhere that he doesn't have to cover as much ground, 3rd, would make a ton of sense. Carp is an average at best 3rd baseman, so I'd love seeing him get time at 1st.

It's one that I would be really curious to see. Carpenter has always been shaky looking at 3b. Peralta has always been steady but limited at SS, with the emergence of Diaz Peralta is a better fit at 3b to me. I need to get this lineup to Matheny, I'm sure he's never thought of it... :)

Dropkick

Pitching seems to be more of an issue than the lineup.

southarkhog06

I am gonna be honest, after the second hit in the ninth yesterday I said to my co-worker(who is a Cards fan) "well we are still the Cubs". You guys will be in the race till 162 just gotta shore up the defense a little.

jrulz83

Quote from: Dropkick on May 26, 2016, 01:31:14 pm
Pitching seems to be more of an issue than the lineup.

Well gee that's an astute observation. I haven't thought of that. ;D

The rotation has a couple weak spots of late, but I think it'll come around. If this offense had the pitching from last season... Oh well wish in one hand...

I think the Cardinals are going to be in the division race at the end, it's just a matter of whether or not this slow start continues into the hot weather.

jbell96

Going to be tough this weekend without Carp. He's on the paternity list so they called Garcia up as the 25th man.

jrulz83

Quote from: jbell96 on May 26, 2016, 03:16:35 pm
Going to be tough this weekend without Carp. He's on the paternity list so they called Garcia up as the 25th man.

Wow, who ever expected Garcia to play well enough that the Cardinals are going to dump Tejada? I think dumping Tejada is the best move for the team and him. He never did much and if Diaz and Garcia play half as good as they are right now, there's no need to have him.

Anybody else hear about Peralta slicing his thumb opening a package? He had to have three stitches and it's going to delay his rehab for a few days. I really think that once he gets back we could see this team make a run.

jbell96

Quote from: jrulz83 on May 29, 2016, 08:32:16 am
Wow, who ever expected Garcia to play well enough that the Cardinals are going to dump Tejada? I think dumping Tejada is the best move for the team and him. He never did much and if Diaz and Garcia play half as good as they are right now, there's no need to have him.

Anybody else hear about Peralta slicing his thumb opening a package? He had to have three stitches and it's going to delay his rehab for a few days. I really think that once he gets back we could see this team make a run.

Yeah once Diaz took off as an every day guy, Tejeda should have been the one sent down, not Garcia. Dude was hitting .600 when he got sent to Memphis. Glad the right decision was made this time around.

pigture perfect

I'm all for moving Diaz to 2nd when Peralta comes back. He's (Diaz) earned his way into the lineup. Tejada never really regained his form after running into Chase Utley.

pigture perfect

If the Cubs should win the WS, it could be the worst thing that could happen to them. They would have no notoriety any longer. They could become the Cleveland Indians.

Dropkick

If the Cubs win the WS Theo should immediately be put in the Hall of Fame.

pigture perfect

Kind of a chicken litter move by Maddon tonight. He pulled Arrieta who was pitching a 2 hitter at only 98 pitches because he knew the Cubs looked clueless at the plate and would probably give up a couple of runs. He was protecting the perfect record of JA. Cubs lose, Pirates lose, Cards win. I'll settle for that and not gripe any more tonight.

Dropkick

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 31, 2016, 11:28:20 pm
Kind of a chicken litter move by Maddon tonight. He pulled Arrieta who was pitching a 2 hitter at only 98 pitches because he knew the Cubs looked clueless at the plate and would probably give up a couple of runs. He was protecting the perfect record of JA. Cubs lose, Pirates lose, Cards win. I'll settle for that and not gripe any more tonight.
Yeah that's how the Cubs have gotten to 20 games over .500, Maddon managing scared. lol

jbell96

So I think the time has come to send Hazelbaker to Memphis and bring Pham up. The shine has worn off and pitchers have started to figure him out.

pigture perfect

Quote from: Dropkick on June 01, 2016, 09:08:21 am
Yeah that's how the Cubs have gotten to 20 games over .500, Maddon managing scared. lol
When did I say he was scared? Learn to read what is written and comprehend. Lol.

Dropkick

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 01, 2016, 12:32:40 pm
When did I say he was scared? Learn to read what is written and comprehend. Lol.

he made a chicken sh-t move but he wasn't scared..........................okay I see?

pigture perfect

Evidently not. I said he protected his pitcher from taking  a loss. Because he hadn't lost one yet. Learn to read and comprehend.

Dropkick

Cardinals hit 10th pinch-hit HR of season, tying most in franchise history through 54 games but Brewers win 3-1.

Dropkick

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 01, 2016, 03:55:59 pm
Evidently not. I said he protected his pitcher from taking  a loss. Because he hadn't lost one yet. Learn to read and comprehend.
How was his pitcher going to take a loss without giving up any runs and throwing ONLY 98 pitches.
Do you somehow know the Dodgers were going to score on him later in the game?

If that is all you got to criticize Maddon then enjoy.

I'm out, probably shouldn't be in this thread anyway.

pigture perfect

Geez Son, I pointed out that he realized his team was looking terrible at the plate. I was just stating an opinion that he  should have left his pitche in to see how it played put. I like Maddon, just disliked the move.

Whiskey River

Was 107 pitches, not 98. He had walked the bases loaded that last inning. If a manager sees his pitcher is struggling, he shouldn't take him out?
This species has amused itself to death...

jrulz83

Quote from: jbell96 on June 01, 2016, 12:24:17 pm
So I think the time has come to send Hazelbaker to Memphis and bring Pham up. The shine has worn off and pitchers have started to figure him out.

Hazelbaker going 0-3 with 3 K's today sure makes it seem that way. Pham is not exactly tearing it up though. 

Dropkick

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 01, 2016, 05:02:08 pm
Geez Son, I pointed out that he realized his team was looking terrible at the plate. I was just stating an opinion that he  should have left his pitche in to see how it played put. I like Maddon, just disliked the move.
A. Not your son (probably older than you)
B. 98 pitches or 107?
C. You called it a chicken sh-t move

Out again, but obviously I may return

hoghappy

I see both sides. It's only an opinion. And it's not necessarily wrong. And if you are older than Pigture, your first home was a cave. And the MLB network had him at 97 last night. I didn't check it today because no one really cares.

jrulz83

Quote from: hoghappy on June 01, 2016, 09:59:26 pm
And if you are older than Pigture, your first home was a cave.

Truth!

pigture perfect

Hahaha, you guys are funny, but looks ain't everything. I'd +1 you if I could.

jbell96

Quote from: jrulz83 on June 01, 2016, 07:38:58 pm
Hazelbaker going 0-3 with 3 K's today sure makes it seem that way. Pham is not exactly tearing it up though. 

Pham's stats in AAA really don't concern me too much. (.277 isn't bad) Garcia hit .269 in Memphis and he started right back where he left off when he got called back up.

jrulz83

Quote from: jbell96 on June 02, 2016, 08:19:18 am
Pham's stats in AAA really don't concern me too much. (.277 isn't bad) Garcia hit .269 in Memphis and he started right back where he left off when he got called back up.

One thing is certain, Hazelbaker looked completely lost yesterday (and has for a little while). The only other backup in CF would be Pham, so it makes for an easy to see roster move. It's just a matter of when, not if, in my opinion.

Although, they may want to go with an extra reliever, but that leaves you thin in the outfield. We may get G. Garcia out there shagging fly balls. It would help him make a case for a roster spot when Peralta makes it back if he could be a viable option in the OF, CF specifically. But I'm just daydreaming.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on June 02, 2016, 09:49:17 am
One thing is certain, Hazelbaker looked completely lost yesterday (and has for a little while). The only other backup in CF would be Pham, so it makes for an easy to see roster move. It's just a matter of when, not if, in my opinion.

Although, they may want to go with an extra reliever, but that leaves you thin in the outfield. We may get G. Garcia out there shagging fly balls. It would help him make a case for a roster spot when Peralta makes it back if he could be a viable option in the OF, CF specifically. But I'm just daydreaming.

I agree. It's a matter of when, not if. I think they are just wanting to get Pham a little more time in during his rehab stent. I look for them to make the move pretty soon though.

pigture perfect

I wonder if Gyrko could play an occasional OF position? Also the guy we got from the Royals the other day might be an option, I can't remember his name, but he's at Memphis now. Career minor leaguer, but looks to be pretty good.

Dropkick

Quote from: hoghappy on June 01, 2016, 09:59:26 pm
I see both sides. It's only an opinion. And it's not necessarily wrong. And if you are older than Pigture, your first home was a cave. And the MLB network had him at 97 last night. I didn't check it today because no one really cares.
No worries, I have actually agreed with pigture on more than one occasion.

lol, I'll turn 61 this summer so who knows.

pigture perfect

Yeah, we do agree more times than not DK. And you're right I'm just 51. But. Do feel older than that most of the time.

FTR - Cards Magic # is 118. I am still optimistic.

Dropkick

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 02, 2016, 04:32:18 pm
Yeah, we do agree more times than not DK. And you're right I'm just 51. But. Do feel older than that most of the time.

FTR - Cards Magic # is 118. I am still optimistic.
You gotta believe !

pigture perfect

Was at the game Friday. Frustrated by our bullpen for sure, but what I saw in person was a weak effort  bu the team after the Giants took the lead. I didn't get it. This is a hustle team most of the time, but they had their heads down and just looked beat from 5th inning on. They didn't run hard on ground balls and at least a couple of times could have made it a close play. I told the wife, I bet they win the next 2 games though. It's just my luck I guess.

Dropkick

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 05, 2016, 09:34:07 pm
Was at the game Friday. Frustrated by our bullpen for sure, but what I saw in person was a weak effort  bu the team after the Giants took the lead. I didn't get it. This is a hustle team most of the time, but they had their heads down and just looked beat from 5th inning on. They didn't run hard on ground balls and at least a couple of times could have made it a close play. I told the wife, I bet they win the next 2 games though. It's just my luck I guess.
You were right, they got the next two.

jbell96

To make room for Peralta on the 25 man roster Kolten Wong was sent to AAA. As surprised as I am by this, it's the right move. Garcia & Diaz have earned their spots on the 25 man roster while Wong has not.