Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown X

Started by McKdaddy, February 19, 2016, 11:21:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

More injuries than I care to mention. All star break comes just in time.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

pigture perfect

Cubs are Cubbing again, but so are we. Both of us are losing ground to Pitt, who seems to be hitting their stride. I've been expecting this though.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

popcornhog

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 10, 2016, 12:35:23 am
Cubs are Cubbing again, but so are we. Both of us are losing ground to Pitt, who seems to be hitting their stride. I've been expecting this though.

We're still within striking distance and very much in play for a WC spot.

But, damn! The past two weeks presented an opportunity.

Injuries aside, the starting pitching sucks, then gets going and the bats suck, which come back and then the bullpen sucks. Grichuk comes back and finds his bat, Carp goes down. It's been a very frustrating first half. That said -- the pieces have all been there at some point this year. I'm not counting this team out.
WPS

jrulz83

It's been ugly, but there are still reasons for optimism. The pieces are there. They need a little tweaking on the pitching staff, but I'm not sure how or exactly what additions or subtractions need to be made to make the team click into place.

CF has been a big hole, hopefully Grichuk stays hot. There's not really anywhere else that the lineup is terribly weak. Holliday has been good, Piscotty ridiculously impressive, same for Diaz, the pieces are there they just haven't all played well at the same time.

Carpenter has to get healthy in a hurry if this team is going to do anything in the second half. Obliques have always been difficult though. If he's out for 2 months, forget the playoffs and sell a few pieces.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

jrulz83

Correa got 46 months:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/former-cardinals-scouting-director-sentenced-to-months-for-hacking-astros/article_442f4c83-0de3-5b45-9fe9-8cd3736b6827.html

Interestingly, the US Attorney valued the information he accessed at $1.7 million. Will that number have a bearing on what the punishment that Manfred comes up with for the Cardinals? Because I feel like everybody involved wants to get past this, I think his word will come down relatively quickly.

pigture perfect

Correa needs to bare the brunt of the punishment. I don't think the organization should go unpunished. That's not even a reality, but I hope the commissioner and his panel levee some pretty harsh restitution on Correa himself. I would feel the same way if this were about the Blue Jays (my personal most hated).

pigture perfect

Peralta back to the DL. When will this team ever get healthy?

ChicoHog

Since you guys are playing the Dodgers again I had to come on here say congrats for last night.  Typical Dodger game where they outhit the opponent but can't score enough runs.  Tenth game this year we have had more hits and lost.  Maeda vs Leake today and then the ESPN game tomorrow night.  Go Blue!

pigture perfect

Welcome back Chico. Love the Cards/Dodgers series.

McKdaddy

When games go that long I find I'm "almost" ready for either team to win so I can go to bed. 5:30 bike ride came early this morning.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

ChicoHog

Rubber match tonight.  You guys bringing up a minor league guy for his first start vs Kazmir.  ESPN game at 5 pacific, 8 eastern time. 

pigture perfect

ChicoHog

I felt bad for the kid.  Did you see his family when he got the last out in first inning after it was already 6-0?  Mom and sister are clapping for him and dad is just shaking his head in disbelief.  Typical reaction as the females are encouraging and positive and the males are realistic! 

BTW, are you interested in trading Piscotty for Puig?  As a Dodger fan I would do it in a heartbeat. 

Cards making big comeback.  Reminding me of disasterous playoff game a couple years ago when Kershaw had the big lead and blew it. 

pigture perfect

I'm not Mo, but no, I hope to hang on to Piscotty.

jbell96

Feel bad for Mayer, he wasn't ready for prime time, but honestly we didn't have anyone else that could have done it last night. The 16 inning game on Friday, where Lyons went 4 2/3, put us in position to have to go to Mayer. Lyons would have started last night if not for Friday.

Also want to tip my cap to the bullpen for last night, especially Seth Maness. They combined to pitch 7 2/3 of shutout ball to give us a chance to try and get back in it. We just came up a bit short.

Time to focus on this tough road trip. 7 games against teams we're battling for a playoff berth with.

WMHawgfan

Quote from: jbell96 on July 25, 2016, 10:10:26 am
Feel bad for Mayer, he wasn't ready for prime time, but honestly we didn't have anyone else that could have done it last night. The 16 inning game on Friday, where Lyons went 4 2/3, put us in position to have to go to Mayer. Lyons would have started last night if not for Friday.

Also want to tip my cap to the bullpen for last night, especially Seth Maness. They combined to pitch 7 2/3 of shutout ball to give us a chance to try and get back in it. We just came up a bit short.

Time to focus on this tough road trip. 7 games against teams we're battling for a playoff berth with.
Yeah I felt bad for him, he had some hard luck on the first two batters he faced but it was a disaster after that. everything either missed the zone or it was up and over the heart of the plate.

jbell96

Great series win against the Mets. I know some want to blast Matheny for leaving Waino in last night against Cespedes, but I'm not one of them. He had just struck out 2 in a row with runners on the corners, so he still had enough to get through the inning, Cespedes just won an epic battle. Also, it was gutsy of him to send Hazelbaker on a steal in the 9th, and risk wasting Wong's pinch hitting opportunity, to set up the game winning hit.

Hopefully we can take 3 of 4 in Florida, but I'll be happy with a split.

popcornhog

HUGE win over Fernandez on the road tonight. Puts us back for a tie with the Marlins for a WC spot.

Unfortunately the Cubs are up on the Sox in the bottom of the 8th with freaking Chapman closing.
WPS

pigture perfect

Got our foot in the door for the playoffs. Hopefully we take at least one more in Miami. They are our worst enemy presently. Them, then Dodgers followed by the Scrubs.

pigture perfect

I'm hoping Chapman is as big of a head case for the Cubs as he was for the Reds. That being said, I would probably trade Rosenthal for him if it were an option.

Dropkick

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 30, 2016, 08:15:16 am
I'm hoping Chapman is as big of a head case for the Cubs as he was for the Reds. That being said, I would probably trade Rosenthal for him if it were an option.
"probably" lol

pigture perfect

I like the trade Tilson for Dukes. Charlie was going to get stuck in on outfield logjam. This way he gets a better shot at the bigs. I saw Duke pitch against the Cards a few years back. He was great that game only giving up a run in 7+ inning and nothing hit hard against him. Hopefully he gives Seigrist a little rest as a lefty.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on August 01, 2016, 04:29:30 pm
I like the trade Tilson for Dukes. Charlie was going to get stuck in on outfield logjam. This way he gets a better shot at the bigs. I saw Duke pitch against the Cards a few years back. He was great that game only giving up a run in 7+ inning and nothing hit hard against him. Hopefully he gives Seigrist a little rest as a lefty.

It's the typical under the radar move the Cardinals thrive on. I like the pick up, I'm excited to see this team once everybody finally gets healthy.

jrulz83

Diaz to the DL, hairline fracture in the thumb that got hit the other night. Mozeliak said it would likely be longer than a 15 day stint. Thankfully Peralta is back today, but this will be a tough one to overcome. Wong really needs to get hot(ter), and Carpenter needs to be fully healthy when he comes back, or this could be the one that finally gets them.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/diaz-to-the-dl-dashes-cardinals-optimism/article_6e52bf2c-82ff-5e70-ac32-21be266a108c.html

VictoryRedChevy

Cards take 2 out of 3 with the Cubs with back to back rallies! 7-6 against the Cubbies this year.

McKdaddy

Quote from: VictoryRedChevy on August 15, 2016, 11:03:43 am
Cards take 2 out of 3 with the Cubs with back to back rallies! 7-6 against the Cubbies this year.

Split series, 2-2.

Dropkick

Quote from: VictoryRedChevy on August 15, 2016, 11:03:43 am
Wow how times have changed.

pigture perfect

Cardinals and thumbs are like Razorbacks and feet from last year. Holiday gone for the season it appears.

VictoryRedChevy

VictoryRedChevy

popcornhog

What a comeback tonight!

Gyorko has been huge this year at the plate. Grichuk's bat seems to be coming around too.

WTH was that lineup though?
WPS

popcornhog

Updated WC standings, btw. I'll try to update this once a week or so.

WPS

McKdaddy

Very pleased to see Carp in the Cards HOF. Loved that guy's grit.

pigture perfect

I wish he could come back. Certainly a stud.

Dropkick

Wildcard race is tightening up.

McKdaddy

No more games at home this year, please.   >:(

Dropkick

Best road record in MLB. Crazy year.

pigture perfect

jbell96

The last two games have been so bizarre. I honestly don't know how we're doing it.

jrulz83

Trading for Gyorko in the offseason and the Moss trade last season have proven that Mozeliak might know what he's doing. Those two deals and the one he didn't make (Heyward) have proven him to be quite capable of building an MLB franchise despite what some on here want to act like. I do wish he could come up with something to stabilize the bullpen, but I'm willing to cut him some slack.

pigture perfect

Gyrko has been a great pick up, especially this season when injuries are everywhere. He's having a career year. Moss is doing well this year too, but he was awful last year. I don't trust him in the line-up a lot. I will forever believe Mo is a mid-tier GM.

Dropkick

Quote from: jrulz83 on August 31, 2016, 11:34:42 am
Trading for Gyorko in the offseason and the Moss trade last season have proven that Mozeliak might know what he's doing. Those two deals and the one he didn't make (Heyward) have proven him to be quite capable of building an MLB franchise despite what some on here want to act like. I do wish he could come up with something to stabilize the bullpen, but I'm willing to cut him some slack.
So Heyward didn't sign for less with Cubs?

jrulz83

Quote from: Dropkick on August 31, 2016, 12:27:26 pm
So Heyward didn't sign for less with Cubs?

I don't know, were you there when numbers were exchanged? I'm pretty sure the Cardinals were "rumored" and "thought" to be at $200 million. If you have something definitive that says they were at that number I'll be happy to look at it.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on August 31, 2016, 12:17:47 pm
Gyrko has been a great pick up, especially this season when injuries are everywhere. He's having a career year. Moss is doing well this year too, but he was awful last year. I don't trust him in the line-up a lot. I will forever believe Mo is a mid-tier GM.

Why do you believe that he's mid tier? Back it up.

Dropkick

Quote from: jrulz83 on August 31, 2016, 12:49:56 pm
I don't know, were you there when numbers were exchanged? I'm pretty sure the Cardinals were "rumored" and "thought" to be at $200 million. If you have something definitive that says they were at that number I'll be happy to look at it.
You assumed in your post Mo didn't want to make the deal for him. I actually wondered where you got that info since it was rumored he took less.

jrulz83

Quote from: Dropkick on August 31, 2016, 03:05:14 pm
You assumed in your post Mo didn't want to make the deal for him. I actually wondered where you got that info since it was rumored he took less.

And you assume that Heyward took less to play for the Cubs. We're a couple of ASSumErS. :) Either way, the deal didn't get done and Mozeliak was ready to roll the dice with Piscotty which has been a pretty successful play.

pigture perfect

Quote from: jrulz83 on August 31, 2016, 12:53:37 pm
Why do you believe that he's mid tier? Back it up.
How many others made just as good of deals? I would say at least half did. Most went after players that have helped them. They also lost some. The good ones found a way to keep or get the ones they wanted. Face it, Theo Epstein is at the top of the list. He's done great things at 2 place now. Mo isn't even close to his caliber.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on August 31, 2016, 05:42:13 pm
How many others made just as good of deals? I would say at least half did. Most went after players that have helped them. They also lost some. The good ones found a way to keep or get the ones they wanted. Face it, Theo Epstein is at the top of the list. He's done great things at 2 place now. Mo isn't even close to his caliber.

Mozeliak is darned if he does and darned if he doesn't with you. I think he's done a great job. Speaking of Theo, how many losing seasons have the Cubs had since he took over? I bet it's more than Mozeliak has had in twice as much time. I think Theo is a great GM, top 5 in the NL. I also think Mozeliak is top 5 in the NL. There's nothing that you've provided that disproves that opinion to this point.

pigture perfect

The same could be said about what you've posted. As for comparing the situations of Mo and Theo, look at who the followed. Jockety had already set the tone for what Mo is doing. Theo has had a bigger job to do and has done it better.

He's also not darned either way with me. When he does something good I acknowledge it. When he blows it, I mention that as well.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on August 31, 2016, 07:29:05 pm
The same could be said about what you've posted. As for comparing the situations of Mo and Theo, look at who the followed. Jockety had already set the tone for what Mo is doing. Theo has had a bigger job to do and has done it better.

He's also not darned either way with me. When he does something good I acknowledge it. When he blows it, I mention that as well.

Yes, Theo walked into the best farm system in baseball and a franchise flush with cash in Chicago, but he's single handedly rebuilt Wrigley field brick by brick. He's a terrific GM don't get me wrong, but he walked into a situation that he could succeed in in Chicago. Just like Mozeliak in St. Louis. However, I never intended this as a Theo vs Mozeliak vs whoever discussion. I'm not into those kind of things. I merely said that some of the moves that Mozeliak has made have proven that he might know what he's doing. Speaking of Jocketty, who is evidently so great, what has he done in Cincy?