Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GIVE MCCURDY A CHANCE!!!

Started by Arazorbackguy1, March 17, 2006, 12:56:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Lokirain

hogsanity

Mccurdy cant guard anyone.  He better learn how to play D or transfer
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Torqued pork

McCurdy can penetrate but that's all. He can't shoot a lick and is a huge liability on defense.

ReturnToDynasty?

So you would rather have a liability on offense with Jefferson?  It's a catch 22.  Point is, go with McCurdy, he is your future.  Jefferson had one of the worst careers I can remember.  Sad for him.  Hope he gets his degree. 

Torqued pork

I'm no Dontell fan, but I can't see McCurdy being the answer at point guard at this level.

WichitaStateRazorback

Who starts next year..McGurdy or Ervin(or is it Erwin???)?

ReturnToDynasty?

I love it how you guys think that our other guards played good defense against the 3.  All year we gave up too many wide open shots.  No matter who was in.  And, the only point guard on our team that ever penetrated a zone was McCurdy.  He should have been given more time the entire season. 

HoopS

Ervin starts and McC backs him up.  I think hiD will improve as he continues to work against GE in preseason and then gets more meaningful minutes in games. 

Ark Blitz

Ervin starts.  McCurdy needs to learn how to play D.  McCurdy is not the savior.  He plays out of control just like Jefferson

hogtheball

Quit saying McCurdy  can't play D!!!   He's not great, but he stays with his man.  Do you guys realize that we are one of the worst 35 teams in the country against the three?  That's with Ferg, and DJ, Modica, and Brewer guarding the three.  One of the 35 worst!  That means about 330 teams have guards better at guarding against the three than us. 

Bettencourt was the worst defensive player on the court today.  He left Ferguson and DJ and Modica all by themselves the whole game.  He could have just gone to the sideline and rested.  He also lit it up against DJ and Ferguson (our best defenders).  Somebody please tell me how would McCurdy's D would have made things any worse?  Anyone?
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

WindyCityHog

McCurdy will be given the chance....in two years.

Gary Ervin is the man next year.

...and that's the way it should be.

Don't get me wrong....I like McCurdy.....but say all you want to about todays' loss.....it was experience that cost the Hogs.

Ark Blitz

How the hell would playing McCurdy the whole game changed anything??  McCurdy does not score and the only thing he can do is break down a zone.  He is short and everyone shoots over him.  If the other team had a 5'10 pg then he should get more playing time.  How is the kid the savior for Ark BB??

hogtheball

Quote from: Ark Blitz on March 17, 2006, 03:20:06 pm
How the hell would playing McCurdy the whole game changed anything??  McCurdy does not score and the only thing he can do is break down a zone.  He is short and everyone shoots over him.  If the other team had a 5'10 pg then he should get more playing time.  How is the kid the savior for Ark BB??

What does short have to do with it.  Bucknell shot over DJ and Modica like they were 5'2".  Oh, and breaking down the zone is probably the single most important thing a point guard should be doing.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

DOGALUM

Quote from: Bubbaswinestein on March 17, 2006, 02:54:42 pm
McCurdy can penetrate but that's all. He can't shoot a lick and is a huge liability on defense.
That's insanity!!   Ask anyone on the team who the best pure shooter on the team is and they'll tell you McCurdy.  (I'm not counting Cranford....as he plays even less.)
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Ark Blitz

I give McCurdy credit for being the best pure shooter in PRACTICE!!  Who got Ark even to the big dance??  It sure wasn't McCurdy.

BigHog396

I don't know where everyone comes up with this "McCurdy can't play defense" crap.  The kid plays fundamental basketball.  His shots haven't fallen because he was never given the chance to get any experience this year.  EVERYONE that watches the practices and pre-game see him hit nearly every shot he puts up.  The kid is a pure shooter, but hasn't had the chance to get a rhythm at the college level.  HE is the ONLY player we have that knows how to penetrate and dish.  Not playing him early cost us considerably this season.  Look at the way the guy spreads the ball around when he is in the game.  He is the only player that knows how to throw a QUALITY post entry pass, and the only one that consistently penetrates the zone defense.  Learn a little about basketball fundamentals, and then come back and talk to us.

tulsahog36

After watching Mccurdy today, why do people want him to play?  He cant guard anyone.   What did Heath see in the kid?  He looks like he is moving in quick sand compared to the other players.   If he cant defend he should not be on the court.

hogtheball

Quote from: Ark Blitz on March 17, 2006, 03:27:35 pm
I give McCurdy credit for being the best pure shooter in PRACTICE!!  Who got Ark even to the big dance??  It sure wasn't McCurdy.

Dude, we just watched a HORRIFIC display of basketball by our favorite team. During that brutal 40 minutes of agony, we had to endure Dontell "the invisible man" Jefferson for almost 20 minutes who teamed up with Modica to put on one of the worst defensive efforts ever by Arkansas guards in a big game.  No, I'm going to say worst ever. 

Please forgive us for looking / searching / praying for some alternative player who might have given us a few minutes of something different.  OK, so lets say the only thing McCurdy is good for is breaking down a zone.  that's all Hurley was good at too.  I'll take it any day over whatever in world DJ is trying to do on a court.  I hope he studied hard in class while he was here.

DOGALUM

Quote from: Ark Blitz on March 17, 2006, 03:27:35 pm
The entire team got them to the dance. 

McCurdy has shown almost every time he's got any real minutes that he is the best point guard on this team.....from an offensive stand point.  He's been no worse on defense than anyone else on the entire team.  And if the guy is that good of a shooter, let him shoot.  I'm not talking about putting him in for two minutes and when he misses a shot pulling him.  If that were the standard for playing time on this team, 90% of the team would be on the bench 5 minutes into almost every game this year.

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: tulsahog36 on March 17, 2006, 03:31:39 pm
After watching Mccurdy today, why do people want him to play?  He cant guard anyone.   What did Heath see in the kid?  He looks like he is moving in quick sand compared to the other players.   If he cant defend he should not be on the court.
if he doesn't score everytime down, hes a liability....until he learns how and plays like a real point gaurd, making everyone else better.

DOGALUM

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 17, 2006, 03:29:08 pm
I don't know where everyone comes up with this "McCurdy can't play defense" crap.  The kid plays fundamental basketball.  His shots haven't fallen because he was never given the chance to get any experience this year.  EVERYONE that watches the practices and pre-game see him hit nearly every shot he puts up.  The kid is a pure shooter, but hasn't had the chance to get a rhythm at the college level.  HE is the ONLY player we have that knows how to penetrate and dish.  Not playing him early cost us considerably this season.  Look at the way the guy spreads the ball around when he is in the game.  He is the only player that knows how to throw a QUALITY post entry pass, and the only one that consistently penetrates the zone defense.  Learn a little about basketball fundamentals, and then come back and talk to us.
AMEN!!!   +1 for you!!

Ark Blitz

His shots haven't fallen because it is a defense guarding him in a game.  Get in rhythm? Good players get in rhythm reguardless of excuses. How many excuses can you make for McCurdy?   Of course he can be a pure shooter in warm ups.  Not playing early cost us what??  Let me guess a NCAA Championship. 

He is the only player that knows how to penetrate and dish??  What team have you been watching lately?

tulsahog36

Give me one example in a game where he helped arkansas win?  When did what he bring to the table offensively out weigh his lack of ability on defense?  Watching him trying to guard Bucknell's guards today was horrible.    I dont care if the kid shots 100% in pracitce, he is too slow to get open on offense and to slow to guard anyone on defense.   

hogtheball

Quote from: tulsahog36 on March 17, 2006, 03:36:15 pm

Give me one example in a game where he helped arkansas win?  When did what he bring to the table offensively out weigh his lack of ability on defense?  Watching him trying to guard Bucknell's guards today was horrible.    I dont care if the kid shots 100% in pracitce, he is too slow to get open on offense and to slow to guard anyone on defense.  

He was only in for a minute - and his man missed one shot.  What in the world game did you watch?

Ark Blitz

Quote from: hogtheball on March 17, 2006, 03:38:15 pm

He was only in for a minute - and his man missed one shot.  What in the world game did you watch?

He missed a Lay Up!!

DOGALUM

Maybe you two bozos are thinking of a different Sean McCurdy.  The kid plays good defense.  Not as quick or athletic as some, but SOLID fundementals.  Talk all you want about shooting against a defense...but going in cold and missing your first shot before you get yanked is a piss poor way to judge a player's ability.  If you think "rythym" has nothing to do with shooting a basketball in a game then you sir are indeed an idiot when it comes to basketball.

Ark Blitz

Quote from: DOGALUM on March 17, 2006, 03:39:32 pm
Maybe you two bozos are thinking of a different Sean McCurdy.  The kid plays good defense.  Not as quick or athletic as some, but SOLID fundementals.  Talk all you want about shooting against a defense...but going in cold and missing your first shot before you get yanked is a piss poor way to judge a player's ability.  If you think "rythym" has nothing to do with shooting a basketball in a game then you sir are indeed an idiot when it comes to basketball.

You sir are a idiot.  Every team has someone that comes off the bench that is cold.  SOLID fundamentals!!  He missed a lay up!!

tulsahog36

I watched a slow white guy trying to play defense, I saw his coach realize he had no chance of guarding anyone and was lucky his man missed his shot; the miss wasnt due to Mccurdy playing steller defense.  I saw Heath pull him out of the game after Heath noticed Mccurdy had no chance of guarding anyone on Bucknell.    I then watched Mccurdy sit on the bench the rest of the game, guarding the only thing in the gym he could, the chair he was sitting in.

qakhed

I have played ball at the college level (granted it was D2, but never the less), and I have been in McCurdy spot. He comes off the bench with very limited playing time. He "feels" he has to make something happen. He plays not as effective as if he would if he was secure in his minutes. He is trying to do much. He is trying to earn favor of the coaches, players, and us the fans. McCurdy is good, very good. Watch him practice. watch him in the games where he played a bunch. (my alma mater, SBU)
"If it comes from qak, it's a fact!" -supacrawf

southog

Here we go with this McCurdy bullshiit.

qakhed

he missed a layup? surely your not talking about the rebound he got underneath the basket where he was pummeled with no call? Your joking right?

Ark Blitz

Quote from: qakhed on March 17, 2006, 03:46:29 pm
he missed a layup? surely your not talking about the rebound he got underneath the basket where he was pummeled with no call? Your joking right?

If you played basketball like you said then you should know that the refs are not going to call that many fouls.  So, what if he got a little bump...make the freaking lay up. 

qakhed

McCurdy bull? I'm not saying he is the savior of Razorback basketball. I'm not saying he will be all SEC, all I'm saying is he can play ball. He is very well coached, and he is smart. Maybe to smart sometimes, his passes catch some of the other players off gaurd sometimes. I think we are lucky to have him on our team.

Michaelt

Just easy to bash and pick someone apart from the comfort and safety of a computer...lol ;D
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: Ark Blitz on March 17, 2006, 03:48:38 pm
Quote from: qakhed on March 17, 2006, 03:46:29 pm

If you played basketball like you said then you should know that the refs are not going to call that many fouls.  So, what if he got a little bump...make the freaking lay up. 

ps they were hard bumps.

at the end of the day, these hogs are a lot of things but they are not sissys. they did get banged into and slammed to the ground... but they had  a lot more to deal with than just *bumps*

hogtheball

Quote from: tulsahog36 on March 17, 2006, 03:42:51 pm

I watched a slow white guy trying to play defense, I saw his coach realize he had no chance of guarding anyone and was lucky his man missed his shot; the miss wasnt due to Mccurdy playing steller defense.  I saw Heath pull him out of the game after Heath noticed Mccurdy had no chance of guarding anyone on Bucknell.    I then watched Mccurdy sit on the bench the rest of the game, guarding the only thing in the gym he could, the chair he was sitting in.

Who in the world were Ferguson and DJ guarding?  Was it the slowest white guy on the court, Bettencourt?  Do you realize Arkansas is one of the 35 worst teams in the country against the 3 pt. shot this year?  That means there are around 330 teams who play better perimeter defense than we do.  Who are the Razorback guards playing the good defense you're worried McCurdy is going to mess up?

qakhed

He should have probably kicked it back out. He was going for the foul. He got an offensive board to far underneath the basket, a taller player, or even a named player would have got the foul and you know it.

BigHog396

Did you play college basketball?  Didn't think so.  I am sitting in the room with a guy that did, he completely agrees with me, and isn't even a hog fan.  Where did you see this poor defense.  Tell me EXACTLY what the other defenders do that McCurdy doesn't.  If you really watched the games this year you would know that McCurdy is actually rather quick, not slow as so many people with absolutely no basketball experience keep repeating.  Like I said, go take a basketball fundamentals course and come back and talk.

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: hogtheball on March 17, 2006, 03:50:54 pm
Quote from: tulsahog36 on March 17, 2006, 03:42:51 pm

Who in the world were Ferguson and DJ guarding?  Was it the slowest white guy on the court, Bettencourt?  Do you realize Arkansas is one of the 35 worst teams in the country against the 3 pt. shot this year?  That means there are around 330 teams who play better perimeter defense than we do.  Who are the Razorback guards playing the good defense you're worried McCurdy is going to mess up?

right or wrong that is a good argument. +1 for you.

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 17, 2006, 03:52:51 pm

Did you play college basketball?  Didn't think so.  I am sitting in the room with a guy that did, he completely agrees with me, and isn't even a hog fan.  Where did you see this poor defense.  Tell me EXACTLY what the other defenders do that McCurdy doesn't.  If you really watched the games this year you would know that McCurdy is actually rather quick, not slow as so many people with absolutely no basketball experience keep repeating.  Like I said, go take a basketball fundamentals course and come back and talk.

stop. McCurdy only played about 11seconds in the game and old baller or not, noone can tell if the guys has handles is 11sec.

BigHog396

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on March 17, 2006, 03:54:10 pm
Quote from: BigHog396 on March 17, 2006, 03:52:51 pm

stop. McCurdy only played about 11seconds in the game and old baller or not, noone can tell if the guys has handles is 11sec.
The guy has watched the games with us all year.  That is where his opinion is coming from.

HOGLUVIN

he averaged 7.7 minutes per game...goood friggin luck.

secondly... if you are stan heath and you are catching as much darn as he was if you had a secret weapon like "mccurdy" on the bench....why wouldn't you use him?

I will say this one time only and the hogs or anyone from the Tn program will pose as my example...just because you play basketball doesn't make you intelligent....

rupert

I don't understand the calls for McCurdy to take over (unless it would be in place of JEfferson perhaps),,He is clearly not ready for SEC basketball..he gets lost on defense and kareens around on offense, lots of nervous energy

,,hopefully he will improve as he gets more experience,,but no way he was ready to play a big role this year and  Stan knew it  most days (except in the SEC tournament game against FLA)

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: rupert on March 17, 2006, 04:06:49 pm
I don't understand the calls for McCurdy to take over (unless it would be in place of JEfferson perhaps),,He is clearly not ready for SEC basketball..he gets lost on defense and kareens around on offense, lots of nervous energy

,,hopefully he will improve as he gets more experience,,but no way he was ready to play a big role this year and  Stan knew it  most days (except in the SEC tournament game against FLA)

he was caught on the backside of everyscreen.

i was one of the hogvillians at the watch party and we were all yelling for #14, he got in and was chumped by a superior fundemental team. In the sec where teams relied so much on athletic ability, he looked sound, but today Bucknell shut up 14 huge McCurdy fans

hogmary

What does it matter who the point guard is as long as Stan Heath is the coach?

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: hogmary on March 17, 2006, 04:09:53 pm

stan didn't miss free throws.

we were gameplanned and we were in a position to win.

if you execute everything....stan has to be able to assume that his seniors will make friggin free throws right.

I cant put this one on stan.

BigHog396

Quote from: rupert on March 17, 2006, 04:06:49 pm

I am not calling for him to take over and get all the minutes.  The point was that he brings an offensive game to the table that none of the other wanna-be PG's bring.  I just think he should have been given more PT, not starting, not playing 30 minutes a game, but he definitely brought an offensive spark that was missing when he wasn't on the court.

Ark Blitz

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on March 17, 2006, 04:13:49 pm
Quote from: hogmary on March 17, 2006, 04:09:53 pm

stan didn't miss free throws.

we were gameplanned and we were in a position to win.

if you execute everything....stan has to be able to assume that his seniors will make friggin free throws right.

I cant put this one on stan.

+1 for you