Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Storming the Floor

Started by Snort and Squeal, March 02, 2006, 11:13:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Snort and Squeal

Noticed on ESPN that Duke's Coach K dodged the "What should the ACC do about fans storming the court?"  question.  What does Hogville think?  Should the schools and fans be repremanded severely?

Is it any coincidence that we bleed red???  I think not!

Kilgor

Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Woogie

Not after the game is over.  Before the game is over, that is a different story.  I dont blame Coach K at all for getting the majority of his team off the court after the court was cleared the first time.  If we were at LSU, for example, and the exact thing happened, I would want Brewer, Modica, etc off the court so some jackass couldnt take a cheap shot at them.

Snort and Squeal

Quote from: Woogie on March 02, 2006, 11:17:34 pm
Not after the game is over.  Before the game is over, that is a different story.  I dont blame Coach K at all for getting the majority of his team off the court after the court was cleared the first time.  If we were at LSU, for example, and the exact thing happened, I would want Brewer, Modica, etc off the court so some jackass couldnt take a cheap shot at them.

I agree... I'd could end up with someone "getting the point"
http://www.crazyshit.com/dc.php?cid=8307
Is it any coincidence that we bleed red???  I think not!

Hog in MO

Ultimately, schools ARE responsible if sombody gets hurt but how are they going to stop it?  The SEC rule is total BS - the conference is just trying to cover their rear by passing the buck to the schools. It allows the conference to wash their hands of any responsibility if anything happens. 

Pesonally I'm not a fan of rushing the floor or the field.  It just seems bush league.  Act like you've won a big game before (and as Razorback fans, we HAVE). There's no need to look like A-State fans after they beat our girl's team. 

heathshogs

well first let me say "Kriz-a-rewsky" was weak in answerin ghte question. "Whatever the ACC says is sufficient"

I think ther eneeds to be some penalty for storming the court. It's great to celebrate and what not but it's become too common and gotten out of hand. The SEC's rule seems fairly reasonable.$5000 the first time you rush the court means you get 1 roughly free. If a game,s not worth $25,000 the next time or $50,000; It's not a game worth rushing the court/field over.

Regardless of what they want to do in for most situations, you have to penalize FSU for storming the court while the game was still in progress. There's no excuse for that.   
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

Hog in MO

Quote from: heathshogs on March 02, 2006, 11:46:10 pm
well first let me say "Kriz-a-rewsky" was weak in answerin ghte question. "Whatever the ACC says is sufficient"

I think ther eneeds to be some penalty for storming the court. It's great to celebrate and what not but it's become too common and gotten out of hand. The SEC's rule seems fairly reasonable.$5000 the first time you rush the court means you get 1 roughly free. If a game,s not worth $25,000 the next time or $50,000; It's not a game worth rushing the court/field over.

Regardless of what they want to do in for most situations, you have to penalize FSU for storming the court while the game was still in progress. There's no excuse for that.  

But what can any school actually do within reason to stop fans from rushing the court - and how does fining the school deter fans from doing so?  Its not coming out of their pockets.  There is absolutely no way to stop it from happening and everybody involved knows this.  That's why I think the SEC rule is simply there so that the conference can deny any responsibility in the case of a possible lawsuit.  "See your honor, we told the schools not to let this happen - we have a RULE against it!" yeah, right. 

pigture perfect

I do think that storming the court for a regular season game is rather bush. If we win, say, the SEC Tourny or the big dance, I think I'm down there.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hogman64

My son is going to the Georgia game, I am hoping he storms.........home team pays right?

heathshogs

Fair enough. But if he's not going to speak on ESPN who's the mouthpiece for his program it just seems weak.

I would say the Universities can do a lot more to stop rushing at basketball games. All you need is a couple of bouncer type ushers for big games instead of all the retirees. Basically you only have to stop the student sections. I don't know the exact situations for all the other schools, but I know we could have saved $5000 with about 5 decent sized guys.

Football is a little tougher due to the magnitude. But armed cops serve as a decent deterent
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

heathshogs

Quote from: hogman64 on March 03, 2006, 12:28:19 am
My son is going to the Georgia game, I am hoping he storms.........home team pays right?

I had that thought before the Tennesee game. I told some buddies we should just go there and get tehm a fine if we win. Heck, we could even throw on some hunting vests so we look like we belong

hogman64

Well you might look a little suspicious but what the heck a rule is a rule, home team pays...

Hawgvillain

I'd like to say that I like it when fans rush the court, if it's called for.  Part of college sports is the exuberance the fans feel after a big victory.  And, those fans who really feel like they are apart of the team want to get onto the court or field and celebrate.  But, it has gotten way out of hand.
First off, I think the stupidest thing about rushing the floor is that it's far too common.  It's one thing when you upset a top 5 team (even more-so if it is dramatic) and the enthusiasm is there.  But when you beat a team that is just your "rival" or, even stupider, someone you are favored to beat (the Hogs were favored to beat Florida according to Vegas), stay the freak off the court/field. 
Secondly, I heard it suggested that the security guards take a couple of canine unit police dogs onto the court and unleash them if someone gets out of line.  I'm willing to bet that would make most of the rushers think twice. 
Finally, I believe (like most things in life) tasteful discretion is the name of the game.  Don't arrest/fine/suspend people if the situation seems reasonable for a good floor rushing.  But release the hounds on the idiots who want to rush when a last second shot beats Louisiana Monroe.

Woogie

Quote from: Hog in MO on March 03, 2006, 12:10:57 am
Quote from: heathshogs on March 02, 2006, 11:46:10 pm

But what can any school actually do within reason to stop fans from rushing the court - and how does fining the school deter fans from doing so?  Its not coming out of their pockets.  There is absolutely no way to stop it from happening and everybody involved knows this.  That's why I think the SEC rule is simply there so that the conference can deny any responsibility in the case of a possible lawsuit.  "See your honor, we told the schools not to let this happen - we have a RULE against it!" yeah, right. 

I agree.  The SEC is going to pass the buck to the school when I know BWA is not equipped with enough staff to stop it from happening.  The handfull of police officers and the ushers, that with all due respect, are a little pass their prime to keep this from happening, are just not enough.  According to the SEC, I guess you are suppose to have a 1 to 1 ratio of police/ushers to fans (student sections to be more specific). 

HighOnHogs

Storming the court should be done in single file and alphabetical order.

Tomhog™

Why fine the school when it's the fans that do it?  I'm not against storming the court myself, but it's just plain dumb to fine a school because some of it's more enthusiastic fans want to celebrate a BIG victory.  Has there been a history of injuries on storming the court I'm unaware of?  Any trampling catastrophies that only happen in other countries?  Fans slipping on a players sweat and sue the university? PBTPTPHBTPHBPTHTBP  :P

pigfoot

Storming is bush league and it's dangerous.  Do whatever it takes to stop it.
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

hogsNbeer

I think storming the court is very STUPID!   It's not the Conference's problem..... It should be taken care of by each institution, not the conference.....  School's should beat this issue into the heads of all students..... If fans want to celebrate with the players they can wait till they walk out of the locker rooms and to the parking lot where they can hold hands........... I agree with the other poster storming is Bush League, makes schools look DESPERATE!

Michael Porkleone

I remember storming the field after the Tennessee win in 1999.  I was hot and dehydrated and ending up on the grass with students running on top of me.  Thankfully, someone noticed me on the ground and pulled me up.  It was pretty scary!

Still,  I knew the risk and did it anyway.  I think as long as the losing players/coaches are out of the way, STORM ON!!!
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

HogJoeHelm

Storming the court/field is one of the greatest things ever!!!  Those of you who are dissing it either haven't done it at all, or haven't done it since 1960.  I remember my Freshman year.  We played Alabama.  They were a lot better than us, but they weren't a top 5 team.  However, it was pouring rain, it was such a close game.  we won 28-21, and the entire student section rushed the field.  It was one of the greatest moments of my life.  It's a way for fans to feel like they are apart of the team, and that's how I felt.  I've been a die hard ever since that day, and I will never forget it. 

When we beat LSU in LR a few years back, I remember everyone wanting to run onto the field, but they would not let us.  Everyone was so dissapointed because you had this pent up emotion, and running was the best thing to cure it, but they wouldn't let us.

Bastards

hogsNbeer

Hogjoe...I was at the LSU game in LR too.....and No I had not one feeling in my body to run out on the field.......  But I did go back to the tailgate and drink a cold brew........  Even when I was a student at the UofA during the late 80s and early 90s-- I never once even wanted to rush the court, or the field....Doesn't matter who we beat, storming is BUSH LEAGUE.

HawgNTexas

It'll take multiple people getting killed for it to be taken seriously. 

The part that really annoys me is how rushing the court is so commonplace now.  I'd say a large percentage of people do it simply because they think it's cool and they want to say they have rushed the court, not because they are overwhelmed by excitement or emotion.  To me it's the same thing as a student section copying taunts, etc. from another school.  One example is having everybody jump up and down.  Who started that, Duke? Now everybody else seems to have copied it.  Get your own material!

It's impossible to stop people from rushing the floor, but one way to deter it is after people rush the cops should immediately start arresting as many people as possible.  This would have been especially useful for the embarrassment of 20 or so people rushing the court.  Folks will think twice if they know they have the possibility of being arrested.

mikeirwin

Quote from: Hog in MO on March 02, 2006, 11:31:15 pm
Ultimately, schools ARE responsible if sombody gets hurt but how are they going to stop it?  The SEC rule is total BS - the conference is just trying to cover their rear by passing the buck to the schools. It allows the conference to wash their hands of any responsibility if anything happens. 

Pesonally I'm not a fan of rushing the floor or the field.  It just seems bush league.  Act like you've won a big game before (and as Razorback fans, we HAVE). There's no need to look like A-State fans after they beat our girl's team. 
You got it.

mikeirwin

Quote from: HawgNTexas on March 03, 2006, 10:35:25 am

The part that really annoys me is how rushing the court is so commonplace now.  I'd say a large percentage of people do it simply because they think it's cool and they want to say they have rushed the court, not because they are overwhelmed by excitement or emotion.  To me it's the same thing as a student section copying taunts, etc. from another school.  One example is having everybody jump up and down.  Who started that, Duke? Now everybody else seems to have copied it.  Get your own material!

It's impossible to stop people from rushing the floor, but one way to deter it is after people rush the cops should immediately start arresting as many people as possible.  This would have been especially useful for the embarrassment of 20 or so people rushing the court.  Folks will think twice if they know they have the possibility of being arrested.
Rushing the floor has been going on for decades. I've never heard of anybody getting killed. However it is an annoying practice unless we're taking about a HUGE win.

hogtheball

Quote from: hogsNbeer on March 03, 2006, 09:50:04 am
Hogjoe...I was at the LSU game in LR too.....and No I had not one feeling in my body to run out on the field.......  But I did go back to the tailgate and drink a cold brew........  Even when I was a student at the UofA during the late 80s and early 90s-- I never once even wanted to rush the court, or the field....Doesn't matter who we beat, storming is BUSH LEAGUE.

It is BUSH LEAGUE.  It's downright embarassing to storm the court for teams like Alabama and LSU. The only statement it makes is "we're not used to winning big games - and we can't believe we won today."  At some point, some stupid fan of some school is going to storm the court and run into a player from the other team.  The player will push back, and a fight will ensue.  SportsCenter will have headline material for weeks and NCAA basketball will look like Brazilian soccer.   Don't storm the court unless you win a championship (not the NIT).
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

HawgNTexas

March 03, 2006, 10:51:41 am #25 Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 10:53:22 am by HawgNTexas
Quote from: mikeirwin on March 03, 2006, 10:43:21 am
Quote from: HawgNTexas on March 03, 2006, 10:35:25 am

Rushing the floor has been going on for decades. I've never heard of anybody getting killed. However it is an annoying practice unless we're taking about a HUGE win.

I remember a story from the past few years about a guy being killed by a falling goalpost.  Here is a link:  http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2005-10-22-goalpost-death_x.htm

In basketball it would take something strange, but somebody could easily be trampled if they tripped going down the stairs. 

hogtheball

Maybe we could storm the concession stands instead!!! start a new tradition - free nachos!
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

taintlint

Quote from: Snort and Squeal on March 02, 2006, 11:13:52 pm
Noticed on ESPN that Duke's Coach K dodged the "What should the ACC do about fans storming the court?"  question.  What does Hogville think?  Should the schools and fans be repremanded severely?

Under what circumstance would Duke need to storm the floor anyway?

hogtheball

Quote from: taintlint on March 03, 2006, 11:30:54 am

I think the Dukies stormed the floor earlier with year...I can't remember who they beat.  I wondered why in the world they would ever storm a basketball court.

HawgNTexas

Quote from: hogtheball on March 03, 2006, 11:32:54 am
Quote from: taintlint on March 03, 2006, 11:30:54 am

I think the Dukies stormed the floor earlier with year...I can't remember who they beat.  I wondered why in the world they would ever storm a basketball court.

Virginia Tech I think

leggman131652002

Wish it would happen everytime someone beats arkansas...cause if it did that would mean we are the #1 team in the nation..and the most respected

HogJoeHelm

Maybe it is a youth thing.  I'm 24, and I loved it as a student.  Hell, I might even do it now if the opportunity arises.  Bottom line is, it happens all the time, it may be annoying to some, but what harm does it cause.  1 person died of a freak accident years ago.  That is a terrible, terrible thing.  But as a student, when I'm basically paying $10,000 a year for season tickets, it is my right to do that if I want.  Honestly, who am I hurting?  If you do not like it, too bad, just go home.  I just don't see why you guys are making this such a big deal.

No harm no foul

mikeirwin

You're right. It was a freak accident. Proabably wouldn't happen again in 50 years. You could be walking outside the arena and get hit by a car. Maybe they should ban walking outside the arena. Or ban cars.

wishyjoshy

Don't fans "storm the court" after they win a game they aren't supposed to win? 

HogJoeHelm

Thanks Mike!

I know you're not completely on my side with this thread, but at least you have my back on this fact.  Unless you are being sarcastic.  Either way, thanks.

mikeirwin

March 03, 2006, 02:10:25 pm #35 Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 02:13:12 pm by mikeirwin
Quote from: HogJoeHelm on March 03, 2006, 01:57:21 pm
Thanks Mike!

I know you're not completely on my side with this thread, but at least you have my back on this fact.  Unless you are being sarcastic.  Either way, thanks.
No sarcasm at all.
Policies on the storming the court should not be the business of the SEC. That's a school issue.
I think it's okay to storm the court (or field) occasionally if the nature of the game dictates it. No one will ever convince me that what went on in Fayetteville after the Tennessee win in '99 was a bad thing. It was AWESOME. I've got video of the field covered with fans moments after the game. You can see this one head sticking up above the masses looking around like a Giraffe. That head belonged to Joe Dean Davenport.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 03, 2006, 02:10:25 pm
Quote from: HogJoeHelm on March 03, 2006, 01:57:21 pm
Thanks Mike!

No sarcasm at all.
Policies on the storming the court should not be the business of the SEC. That's a school issue.
I think it's okay to storm the court (or field) occasionally if the nature of the game dictates it. No one will ever convince me that what went on in Fayetteville after the Tennessee win in '99 was a bad thing. It was AWESOME. I've got video of the field covered with fans moments after the game. You can see this one head sticking up above the masses looking around like a Giraffe. That head belonged to Joe Dean Davenport.

Was that the year that the goal post ended up on Dickson Street by the old Brew Pub?

mword

HogJoeHelm

Where does that Field goal post reside now?

mikeirwin

Quote from: HogJoeHelm on March 03, 2006, 02:57:07 pm
Up Phil Fullmer's....well you know.

dmhog v2.0

They shouldn't do anything. If your team is in that bad of shape that you would storm the court over a win against ANYONE, you already have enough problems.

bdutt

Quote from: HogJoeHelm on March 03, 2006, 02:57:07 pm

actually, I have part of it. Me and the guys i lived with in college went back to RS that night and unbolted the bottom half of the south endzone goalpost (the north side was already on dickson).
"Those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who usually do."