Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ronnie Brewer in SI

Started by SiriusHog™, February 23, 2006, 04:23:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SiriusHog™

February 23, 2006, 04:23:33 pm Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 04:25:40 pm by WarRazorbacks
just flipping through the new SI that came in the mail today, interesting tidbit on page 82 where an NBA scout gives an evaluation of Ronnie Brewer:

"He has the ugliest shot I've ever seen.  He makes three pointers, but I have no idea how they go in.  You never know where the ball will go when he misses; sometimes it even hits the shot clock.  But I can live with all of that, because you know what?   He scores......Still, he's not an off the chart athlete, he doesn't defend and he doesn't rebound.  That bothers me because when you're 6'7" and as long as he is, you should be a pain in the ass....People say he can be a point guard, but I don't think he's a great passer.....He's a first-rounder for sure, but people are saying he'll go as the fifth, sixth or seventh pick.  I'd be scared to death to take him that high."

he doesnt defend???? WTH is that.. has this guy even WATCHED a game.. doesnt brewer lead the league in steals? and I think he averages 4 or 5 boards per game.. thats not bad considering that he is usually defending on the perimeter... what an assclown..

LA HAWG

I have been saying this all along about Brewer.  Very average in my opinion.

TuckFexas

LMFAO. You sure this wasn't in the joke section (if there is one?). Good lord, he basically bashes everything Ronnie does then says he's a definite first-rounder? Make your mind up pecker head!
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

TuckFexas

Quote from: LA HAWG on February 23, 2006, 04:25:06 pm

You think he's an average defender too?
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

SiriusHog™

I'm not saying that he's a sure fire lottery pick.. but come on, this guy says the only thing he does is score points, doesnt defend, rebound or pass... but he is STILL a first round pick.. doesnt make much sense..

baumsquad

SORRY BUDDY, AVERAGE IS NOT A FIRST ROUND PICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JUST WIN BABY!!

pfrg999

Yes he leads the SEC in steals.... and in scoring.... is a first round pick the top 32 of the Top 500 (100 schools top 5 at each school. using easy quick numbers) That is Average....  He will Make more on his first contact that this guy has made in the last 20 years.... He needs another year.... Yes he has an ugly shot... does this guy even know why... Lets see Bill Cartwright had an ugly 16 years in the NBA and 3 Championship rings... He was an average player too...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

razorbackfan4life

I feel the same way about Brewer.  His shot just looks like crap.

LA HAWG

He will be a flop in the NBA and I can't believe you are using Bill Cartwright in your arguement.

Illinihog

Ronnie doesn't defend well.  The coaches' will tell you that.  He isn't one of our stronger defenders but he does come up with a few nice defensive plays.  I think his one weak area besides his ugly shot is his defense.  He doesn't play a full 40 minutes on the defensive end, heck he barely plays 15-20 sometimes.

hogstorm

someone should look up where the players who have led the sec in scoring are now...i dont know if it is reality but it seems like everyone who has led the league in scoring

clemensrules01

February 23, 2006, 04:41:31 pm #11 Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 04:47:29 pm by clemensrules01
this scout's take does not validate your opinion. experts at espn and all around the country (better scouts than this guy) say he is a lottery pick. not average at all. his shot goes in more often than not, it doesnt matter what it looks like. and, he is good at getting in the passing lanes, is a great rebounder, and a good passer.

pfrg999

Quote from: LA HAWG on February 23, 2006, 04:35:05 pm
He will be a flop in the NBA and I can't believe you are using Bill Cartwright in your arguement.

Cuz... He had a Ugly shot...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

HogNuttz

I heard he broke his arm you know.  That is why the shot is funny.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

pfrg999

Oh and you have no Idea what you are talking about... are you Miss Cleo or Dionne Warwick... You do not have a clue on How good he will be in The Pro's... He will Make more money that you ever will... Hell In his first three years... So Kreskin....who will Be a flop and not a flop in the Pro's
Lets start the List.... I bet you knew that Darko would ride the pines for three years... You have no clue what kind of pro player he will be do you... Nope Niether do I...

clemensrules01

Quote from: pfrg999 on February 23, 2006, 04:44:26 pm

haha. duh. but you arent allowed to use analogies that go against LA HAWG's point. god. a$$hole.

HOGLEG

His shot is embarassing to say the least. And folks, most of the time Ronnie's man is blowing right by him as he is gambling for the steal. Most of the time his guy blows by and takes it to the rim... Thankfully we got a guy that saves Ronnie's rear-end by swatting anything within reach... whether it's his man or someone else's. However, I do think Ronnie should be the Hawgs PG or Point Forward. JMO

pfrg999

Quote from: clemensrules01 on February 23, 2006, 04:48:28 pm
Quote from: pfrg999 on February 23, 2006, 04:44:26 pm

haha. duh. but you arent allowed to use analogies that go against LA HAWG's point. god. a$$hole.

That's Funny.....I couldn't care less about wrong opinions.... But that was funny thanks

hogfankb

Brewer plays good defense in spurts. Also takes too many risks. That is why I don't think he he is a great defender. He makes plenty of big plays but he also gives up a lot and get the rest of the team out of position.

JackJohnson

Quote from: WarRazorbacks on February 23, 2006, 04:23:33 pm
just flipping through the new SI that came in the mail today, interesting tidbit on page 82 where an NBA scout gives an evaluation of Ronnie Brewer:

"He has the ugliest shot I've ever seen.  He makes three pointers, but I have no idea how they go in.  You never know where the ball will go when he misses; sometimes it even hits the shot clock.  But I can live with all of that, because you know what?   He scores......Still, he's not an off the chart athlete, he doesn't defend and he doesn't rebound.  That bothers me because when you're 6'7" and as long as he is, you should be a pain in the ass....People say he can be a point guard, but I don't think he's a great passer.....He's a first-rounder for sure, but people are saying he'll go as the fifth, sixth or seventh pick.  I'd be scared to death to take him that high."

he doesnt defend???? WTH is that.. has this guy even WATCHED a game.. doesnt brewer lead the league in steals? and I think he averages 4 or 5 boards per game.. thats not bad considering that he is usually defending on the perimeter... what an assclown..

as someone who has played a lot of BB, i can tell you that getting a lot of steals by no means qualifies someone as being a good defender.  Brewer IS an average defender.  You can't stick him on a Morrison or Reddick, for example, and hold them to half their average.  Look at Bruce Bowen from the Spurs.  He is widely regarded as one of the top on the ball defenders in the league.  Know what is career steals average is??  Less than one per game. 

While Brewer gets a lot of steals, his gambling type of defense doesn't do much for the overall team D, as if he doesn't get the steal, he leaves a man for a wide open shot.  He would be an all world defender if he would just use his size, quicks, length and athleticism to shut down the oppenents best Wing guy each game we play, imo

othermac

Quote from: Illinihog on February 23, 2006, 04:35:18 pm
Ronnie doesn't defend well.  The coaches' will tell you that.  He isn't one of our stronger defenders but he does come up with a few nice defensive plays.  I think his one weak area besides his ugly shot is his defense.  He doesn't play a full 40 minutes on the defensive end, heck he barely plays 15-20 sometimes.

since we are on defense half of the game, 20 minutes would be pretty damn good, i would think.
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

LA HAWG

Thanks jackjohnson.  I'm sorry I don't worship Ronnie Brewer like most people on this board.

LA HAWG

Quote from: othermac on February 23, 2006, 04:52:55 pm

since we are on defense half of the game, 20 minutes would be pretty damn good, i would think.

Well considering we shoot with 30 seconds left on the shot clock we are probably on defense more than 20 minutes a game.

SultanofSwine

What many of you are missing is that a lot of his steals are not from great defense but great anticipation about where a pass will be. He is not a great defender "on the ball". A big part of the reason imo is that he is playing smaller, faster gaurds a lot of the time and if he tightens up on them he gets beat by the faster player.

othermac

Quote from: LA HAWG on February 23, 2006, 04:55:02 pm
Quote from: othermac on February 23, 2006, 04:52:55 pm

Well considering we shoot with 30 seconds left on the shot clock we are probably on defense more than 20 minutes a game.

i agree he probably rests some while he is out there, but who in the world including coaches can tell how much he is resting and how much he is trying.
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

arkhogdog61

you don't have to worship him, it's clear you don't know $hit about basketball and how to rate players, i guess thats why you don't scout for pro teams.
IF YOU CAN"T RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH!

12under

evidently  all that smog in LA has clogged your brain.  he is no jordan but he does almost everything well and will be an asset for an nba team for a long time. 

LA HAWG

Quote from: arkhogdog61 on February 23, 2006, 05:01:00 pm
you don't have to worship him, it's clear you don't know $hit about basketball and how to rate players, i guess that's why you don't scout for pro teams.

I don't think anyone in this thread is an NBA scout so your argument is irrelevant.

clemensrules01

Quote from: LA HAWG on February 23, 2006, 05:38:18 pm
Quote from: arkhogdog61 on February 23, 2006, 05:01:00 pm
you don't have to worship him, it's clear you don't know $hit about basketball and how to rate players, i guess that's why you don't scout for pro teams.

I don't think anyone in this thread is an NBA scout so your argument is irrelevant.
he is talking about the pro scouts who rate him as a top ten pick.

SiriusHog™

yeah his defense is average.. but that scout said he plays NO defense.. but if you recall.. saturday against florida, brewer gets a HUGE steal to ice the game.. thats good defense.. tuesday against alabama, he mans up and stops Ronald Steele(who had been lights out) with help from steven hill.. another good defensive stop...yes he is too risky at times.. but his riskiness saved our bacon against florida..

pigsooie1000

I think Brewer's problem will be he doesn't have a position in the NBA.  Not a good enough ball-handler to be a PG and not quick enough to guard other PG, not a good enough shooter for SG and doesn't rebound well enough for SF.  He's a great college player but it would be a big mistake for him to leave now, he could stay and play in what could be a big year for Arkansas bball instead of playing small minutes on Golden State or somewhere and improve his spot a bunch and get a bunch more $$$$$.  Right now, I'd say he's late 1st-round if he's lucky.

silvertip

Well, then send your resume to SI. They routinely hire clueless writers.

hogken

I think Modica has bigger play capability than Brewer!
one fist is iron the other is steel,if the right one dont get you,the left one will!

bighog1015

this whole time im wondering "where the hell does this guy learn to shoot"

Boss Hogg

Hog1751

Yes Brewer leads the league in steals but when he says he doesn't play defense I know what he is talking about, the other 30 minutes of the game when he stands around with his hands on his hips or he stands 7 feet away from the offensive player with his hands in the air, he's a good player with great potential, I would take him as high as 17 if I ran an NBA team, because I think he's teachable, I really believe that if we had a better coach Brewere could be the man in all of college hoops, behind Reddick and the freak at Gonzaga of course.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: TuckFexas on February 23, 2006, 04:26:20 pm
You think he's an average defender too?
I think he is a below average defender..when forced to play man to man.  His lateral quickness is very suspect.  As for his steals, they come as a result of him "floating" on defense and a few have come from have court traps.  Its the same defense Todd Day played...look a his steals.  Does anyone consider him a great defender...hell no. 

Is there a starter in the SEC that RB can lock down...I can't think of one.

stan the man

Maybe Brewer needs to have his arm rebroke and set right so that he can shoot pretty shots.  Doesn't matter what his shot looks like as long as it goes in.  I think one reason he doesn't appear to play hard is because he plays nearly the whole game without resting so somehow he has to get some rest while on the court.  I have seen and I know others have seen times during a game that he can simply take over the game in all areas.  When he gets to the pros he will not be required to play the whole game so he can play harder when he is in the game. 
Also most pros do not press so handling the ball is not as critical as in college where teams have a tendency  to press more 

Broken Trigger

I don't know if he is as great as advertised, but he is definitely better than just average.  How many average players average almost 19 pts. a game and play in the SEC?  I think the defense is somewhat teachable as well.  I do agree that there are some flaws in his game though that would hurt him some, but overall he is a pretty good player.

Hog1751

Quote from: stan the man on February 23, 2006, 09:36:36 pm
Maybe Brewer needs to have his arm rebroke and set right so that he can shoot pretty shots.  Doesn't matter what his shot looks like as long as it goes in.  I think one reason he doesn't appear to play hard is because he plays nearly the whole game without resting so somehow he has to get some rest while on the court.  I have seen and I know others have seen times during a game that he can simply take over the game in all areas.  When he gets to the pros he will not be required to play the whole game so he can play harder when he is in the game. 
Also most pros do not press so handling the ball is not as critical as in college where teams have a tendency  to press more 

I agree that he'll be a great pro, but he is not a GREAT collegiate. He plays 30 minutes a game, which is not to much to ask of a player, Ronald Steele is averaging 40 minutes a game, and he brings it 100% of the time, the way his shot looks is a stupid argument, I agree on that, I also agree that he can take over a game.

stan the man

Does anyone remember how Joe Johnson played while at Arkansas.  Nothing like he plays at the next level.  Money is the great motivator.  There were times that Joe didn't put out either but oh there were times when he could carry us.   

McFaddenIsTight5

dude

if we didnt have ronnie brewer, we wouldnt have a victory in the SEC...stan heath would be fired, and everyone would be raising hell over who's the new coach...ronnie is the only thing the program has and we were lucky to even get him...who gives a darn if his shot is ugly i play high school basketball and my shot is ugly too but his and mine both yield results so yeah that doesnt matter...his defense keeps us in ball games...his pressure and quickness and leadership keep our team going...so anyone who hates on ronnie and calls themselves a razorback fan is pathetic...

silvertip

One big thing that excites the NBA is that Ronnie has that "in between" the 3-point line & the basket game. Too many players can only shoot the 3 or drive all the way. Ronnie can create his own shot when called for. When he "takes over" by gawd he will shoot it and you don't see anyone stopping it.

As far as defense---a lot of the "risky" business & going for steals is what Stan wants him to do. Because we have Hill and/or Townes back there to guard the basket. A lot of our offense comes from TOs & we don't have to press full-court to get them. This same strategy keeps him from getting as many rebounds as he would get in a safer defensive scheme.

Brewer won't have to carry an NBA team by himself. He can play the 1, 2, or 3 and give a team plenty of help.

dman

We need him to be a Hog next year; after that he can be a lottery pick. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: WarRazorbacks on February 23, 2006, 04:23:33 pm

Duh.  Scouts know a little bit more about the game than you do.  Ronnie is a sloppy defender who gets beaten off the dribble and frequently breaks down the team defensive concept by doing his own thing, working for steals and leaving his teammates exposed when he misses.  In some of our worse games this season, Brewer got caught drifting off his man away from the ball, in search of steals.  His man drifted out to the 3-point circle and got wide open shots, over and over.

Brewer's defense against Rudy Gay was embarrassing.  It took a long time this season for him to start coming around.  The more Brewer works within the system, the better our defense is.  He's a big key to that, good and bad.
[CENSORED]!

mbgrulz

Quote from: hogken on February 23, 2006, 08:31:27 pm
I think Modica has bigger play capability than Brewer!
okay, now we're just talking plain ignorant. modica is a 6-2 or 6-3 SG. he cant handle the ball and he is 4-6 inches smaller than the average SG in the NBA. i hated modica his 1st 3 years, i thought he was a cancer, but this year, he has changed my mind and he is doing it the right way. he has a decent jumpshot (that looks awesome compared to our other guys), but he wont be able to create in the NBA. i think he can play overseas, but not in the NBA. brewer will be a high 1st rounder, and i think we'll lose him this year.

hogmary

Apparently, this guy doesn't know enough about him to know that he broke his arm and it never healed correctly.  He cannot tuck his left elbow in.  As far as his taking too many chances on defense, if defense were being correctly taught by this coaching staff, someone would step in and help when he takes a chance.  Seldom does that happen.  My only problem with Ronnie is where is he in the first half of most games?

yocdaddy

Even though Ronnie has got it done the last couple of games in the clutch, I don't believe he will be a great NBA player.  He certainly doesn't have the tools that Joe Johnson had coming out.  He might be a better defender, but that is it.  The NBA teams don't draft defenders coming out of college.  And, without the necessary skill set, how is he going to be drafted in the lottery (first 13 picks)?  I don't remember how high Joe Johnson was drafted, but I don't think it was the lottery.  How can Ronnie be drafted higher?

There are several college players better and certainly several Europeans will go ahead of Ronnie.  So, I see him as a definite 1st rounder, but late first rounder.  Hopefully, it will be next season.
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

chillinhoggie

Quote from: SultanofSwine on February 23, 2006, 04:56:15 pm
What many of you are missing is that a lot of his steals are not from great defense but great anticipation about where a pass will be. He is not a great defender "on the ball". A big part of the reason imo is that he is playing smaller, faster gaurds a lot of the time and if he tightens up on them he gets beat by the faster player.
I'm glad I read the whole post..... this is exactly what I was going to say not so good ON THE BALL. but very good instinct/ball hawking skills. Having Hill backing him up as a swatters helps... but having a 7footer helps everybody on D.   You don't lead the SEC in steals without playing SOME good defense. That being said I don't think he's ready for the NBA but the $$$ might say different. I hope he stays matures and then is a #1 pick.  ???  Also that guy from SI is an idiot.

Lokirain

That idiot has never seen Ronnie play, I mean doesn't defend? Come on.