Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any cold smoke experience here?

Started by theFlyingHog, February 19, 2012, 03:40:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

theFlyingHog

I've started looking at making my own pastrami and would like to hit it with the cold smoke. I think I could probably rig something up with one of my current grills and a coffee can or two, maybe something a little bigger. And some stove pipe.

Anybody done any cold smoking/made your own?

Shag66

I want to learn and I have seen several good cold smoking setups.

The people where I bought my Egg showed my how to cold smoke on it.  She said that she smoked Cheese on hers all the time.

I'll see if I can find some links for you.

Why not just smoke your Pastrami low and slow?

nwahogs

I cure meats all the time, but on a larger scale. I'd love to try a smaller setup. Cured (cold smoked) 80 lbs of pork loin and 30 lbs of ribs this past december.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Shag66 on February 19, 2012, 04:39:30 pm
I want to learn and I have seen several good cold smoking setups.

The people where I bought my Egg showed my how to cold smoke on it.  She said that she smoked Cheese on hers all the time.

I'll see if I can find some links for you.

Why not just smoke your Pastrami low and slow?
I was thinking I'd get the hot on it after 5 hours or so. It makes it more fun to cold smoke it some.

I've looked around a lot and mostly what I found was people using fish tank aerators and chit. 

Shag66

Here is an easy one for using your regular grill or smoker.

Basically a soldering iron and a can of wood chips

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122128&highlight=cold+smoke

theFlyingHog

Very interesting. I've gotta give this a green light. Wish I had more fab experience but I can get it done. Cheese sounds good too!

Shag66

Quote from: theFlyingHog on February 19, 2012, 05:57:19 pm
Very interesting. I've gotta give this a green light. Wish I had more fab experience but I can get it done. Cheese sounds good too!

Smoked Cheddar and Gouda are great.  Just pick a cool day and a semi firm cheese.

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

theFlyingHog

Tim Harris

I made pastrami a while back and just used the low and slow method.  I need to make some adjustments but for my first try it wasn't to bad.

DeltaBoy

I'll try this with my Weber.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.