Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Case Against Fat

Started by Old Tusk, July 04, 2011, 06:20:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Tusk

I submit the fat on a brisket is a detrement. The fat layer blocks the rub and smoke causing the brisket to have less flavor. This weekend's brisket was an aged brisket at about 14 pounds.

The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Old Tusk

The following pics show the brisket after being trimed:

The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Old Tusk

Then rubbed  with a black pepper/ garlic and placed in the smoker under pork butts. The butts were rubbed with Head Country

Old Tusk

The product was exceptional. Trender and moist. Note the point was completely trimmed.

Old Tusk

Thought I would offer this as counterview to some commonly held view.

Shag66

Hmmm...  completely remove the fat cap...

I'm gonna have to try that!  How long did it take you to trim it up?

jacobp

I would imagine it would only take a couple minutes, if you knew what you were doing.

1873Hawg

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting a bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey

Old Tusk

My wife usually preps the brisket. I'm guessing it takes up to 10 minutes. The trick is taking out the big fat wedge that runs down between the point and the flat. It is big and you can be aggressive.

I started using this method when I couldn't find a process that would allow the cap fat to penetrate the meat during cooking process.

Shag66

Quote from: Old Tusk on July 05, 2011, 11:41:12 am
My wife usually preps the brisket. I'm guessing it takes up to 10 minutes. The trick is taking out the big fat wedge that runs down between the point and the flat. It is big and you can be aggressive.

I started using this method when I couldn't find a process that would allow the cap fat to penetrate the meat during cooking process.

Did you trim the fat cap for comps? 

Brisket has always been my achilles heel...  I can make good brisket, I just wanna make great brisket!

I think it is more a mental thing than anything else. 

Old Tusk

First, do not confuse comp BBQ with great BBQ. We always trimmed them fairly close., but have gotten closer as time went by. We took first in brisket at Decatur, AL shortly before we quit. It was closely trimmed but I mopped it. I now believe the opening the cooker for any reason is bad.

Shag66

Quote from: Old Tusk on July 05, 2011, 07:55:01 pm
First, do not confuse comp BBQ with great BBQ. We always trimmed them fairly close., but have gotten closer as time went by. We took first in brisket at Decatur, AL shortly before we quit. It was closely trimmed but I mopped it. I now believe the opening the cooker for any reason is bad.

Took first at Lilly's comp?  SWEET!

Old Tusk

He gave us the trophy. Have to admit it was the only call we got all day.

Shag66

Quote from: Old Tusk on July 05, 2011, 09:03:53 pm
He gave us the trophy. Have to admit it was the only call we got all day.

If you are gonna only get one call then that is the one to get!  lol

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

old hog