Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Last year defense carried the water.

Started by online-with-swine, March 14, 2015, 08:37:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

online-with-swine

This year it will be the offense.  Am I right in thinking this?

Rocky Mountain Living

I am going with no.....Defense will have to carry this team if it is going to go 5-3/4-4 in the SEC next year

I like Brooks Ellis replacing Spaight. 
Tawain Johnson for Philon and Wise for Flowers....

Spring will be interesting watching JC transfer Ledbetter battle Taiwan.   Beanum battles Wise.   Wish Brandon Lewis was not hurt....he has some wiggle to him.

remember BA is STILL QB #1, though the QB coaching got a major upgrade

The 2016 Defense basically returns everyone....

Theolesnort

Not entirely, the defense was not that good at the first part of the season. Think Texas Tech game where the offense carried us. We have people freaking out that we lost to much on defense and will be in trouble this year. Not so fast because the defense going in was not that good and it developed as the year went on with a couple more stars emerging to go along with Flowers. This season lots more possibilities of stars emerging from a solid pool of prospects than last season on defense. We will just have to wait and see if my expectations are realized. Maybe I will wind up with egg on my face but I think not.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

online-with-swine

Returning senior qb, who imo will end up top 3-4 in the league this year.  Top rb duo in the league.  Best TE in the league in Henry.  OL will be improved with more diverse screen and running game.  I just think offense turns the corner and wins us games this year like defense did last year.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Rocky Mountain Living on March 14, 2015, 08:45:47 am
I am going with no.....Defense will have to carry this team if it is going to go 5-3/4-4 in the SEC next year

Ilike Brooks Ellis replacing Spaight.  Tawain Johnson for Philon and Wise for Flowers....spring will be interesting watching JC transfer Ledbetter battle Taiwan.   Beanum battles Wise.   Wish Brandon Lewis was not hurt....he has some wiggle to him.

remember BA is STILL QB #1, though the QB coaching got a major upgrade

The 2016 Defense basically returns everyone....

C. Dick/Nutt

C. Dick/Petrino

We may be really shocked in 2015!

Go Hawgs!  :razorback:
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Rocky Mountain Living

Quote from: tusksincolorado on March 14, 2015, 08:55:27 am
C. Dick/Nutt

C. Dick/Petrino

We may be really shocked in 2015!

Go Hawgs!  :razorback:

Thanks for your time.   
Yes Sir! 

Deja Vu on replacing ash for Robb Smith

I really, really like replacing chaney for Enos.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: online-with-swine on March 14, 2015, 08:37:13 am

We need 60-75 yards more per game out of the offense this year keeping an "average" of 465-480 yards of total offense per game. And keep in mind that is an average, some games more, some games less, but if you can average 465-480 in total offense in the SEC, you are doing something right on offense.

That said, we cannot afford to have a significant drop off in defensive production with the loss of 4 pretty good players. Last year was the first year for Robb Smith and with more players having more time to matriculate in, and embrace his system, I am hoping that the defense will experience little if any drop off from last year. And though we may not see as many outstanding individual efforts among a few this year, it is my hope that we will see more of an overall team effort/production instead that makes up for the loss of 4 experienced players.

Will Enos be able to find a way to better utilize the weapons that we have at our disposal than Chaney did? I hope so. We may see greater diversity in play calling which, if successful, can't do anything but help our running game, which is what everyone prepares for when facing Arkansas these days. Wouldn't it be nice if opponents also had to prepare for an effective passing game off of play action that managed to put some WR's in "space" where they can make a play after the catch? And then of course, a defense also having to keep an eye on (and respect) what might develop to be the best TE group in the nation?

I think Enos understands the opportunity that has been presented to him. We may come out of Spring not knowing anything more than we did last year...remember how everyone complained? I believe that Enos will attempt to make a big change in how effective our offense can be and it is my hope that he is successful.
Go Hogs Go!

Hoggish1

This year's O will make the D better by keeping them off the field.  You are right...

Cinco de Hogo

A lot of people talked about what needed to happen on offense last year and they were absolutely squashed on most MB's.  Now most of those things happened and people expect the offense to care the defense. LOL!  Well yea, the offense will be ahead of the defense because the pieces are already known but it also has some adjustment to make.  The defense under a second year coach may be a case of plug and play because the players are there to do that and they understand the scheme already. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 14, 2015, 11:07:13 am
A lot of people talked about what needed to happen on offense last year and they were absolutely squashed on most MB's.  Now most of those things happened and people expect the offense to care the defense. LOL!  Well yea, the offense will be ahead of the defense because the pieces are already known but it also has some adjustment to make.  The defense under a second year coach may be a case of plug and play because the players are there to do that and they understand the scheme already.

Want to keep it simple? Some folks are saying we will be averaging 500 yards per game. We may, hope we are, but to do that we have to average 1.3 offensive yards more per play this year. Not impossible at all. It seems like very little, but that really is a big improvement considering the fact that we probably won't average more than the 70.5 offensive plays per game that we averaged last season.

What I do expect (but may or may not get) is another 30 to 50 yards of passing offense per game taking us to 218 to 238 per game. It is an incremental improvement but that small improvement should be enough to force opposing defenses to back off the line and respect our passing game to a greater degree, which should in turn, open up greater opportunities for our running game.

If we can do that it should extend more drives and increase our Offensive RZ percentage, which can't mean anything but good things for our offense.

If we can achieve that level of success offensively, even with a slight downturn in total defense, we should be a lot more successful than last year. JMO

Go Hogs Go!

hoghiker

Does anyone think it will take Enos some time to adjust his skill set to the SEC?

MuskogeeHogFan

March 14, 2015, 12:03:47 pm #11 Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 12:23:59 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: hoghiker on March 14, 2015, 11:54:32 am
Does anyone think it will take Enos some time to adjust his skill set to the SEC?

Maybe, but he has better skill players at his disposal now than he had in the past. He does have to adjust to and compensate for the reaction time of SEC defenses, but I hope that won't be a problem.
Go Hogs Go!

PaintballHog

I think our passing game will surprise everyone during the TT game, and teams wont be able to load the box, which will take our running game to the next level.

jkstock04

The astrix here is we have a new offensive coordinator. I'm big time going out on a limb here, but I think this season we see major strides in the offense due to new and better ideas by Enos. We will see what happens but I'm thinking offense trumps defense this season. We have a lot coming back on offense, while the defense is suffering some key losses.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Bubba's Bruisers

Just have to be effective passing on passing downs.  We do that and the O makes a giant leap forward.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hoghiker on March 14, 2015, 11:54:32 am

If that adjustment goes the way of last years defensive adjustment did we will be very happy but the thing to remember is that the pieces on offense are better known than the defensive pieces were lad year.  I would expect the adjustment period to be much shorter...like halftime of the first game. 😄

blu

Yes, you are right. Nine returning starters versus 5 on D. Two 1000 rd rushers coming back, new OC, Sr. QB, we should and better have an ass kicking Offense. I'll betcha that is what CBB is expecting!!!
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16