Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeremy Parnell

Started by NEA_HogFan, March 09, 2015, 05:03:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NEA_HogFan

I know he didn't play for the Hogs but I just wanted to share this. Jeremy Parnell from Gosnell, Arkansas signed a 5 year 32 million dollar contract to play tackle for the Jacksonville Jaguars today. He was Doug Free's backup at Dallas for the last few years and got the starting position when he went down late in the year. For those that don't know his story, he was a 6-8 basketball star at Gosnell High School from 2001-2004 and had some epic battles with Marcus Monk and the Epc warriors as they were in the same conference. He went on to play basketball at Ole Miss where his career never really took off. Maybe averaged 5-6 points a game. After his senior year Houston Nutt conviced him to try out for the football team and he played 5 games at defensive end. He signed with the Saints as an undrafted free agent and was released and signed to the Dolphins practice squad and then back to the Saints before finally landing in Dallas where they converted him to a full time Offensive tackle. The Cowboys oline coach stated during the season that Parnell could probably start for any other team in the league. He has basketball athleticism and stands at 6-8 300 pounds. I'm happy to see an Arkandsd kid doing well in the pros. Especially being from Mississippi County

KlubhouseKonnected

Chris Parnell is funnier.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

ricepig

With NFL contracts, the important number is the guaranteed number, looks like his is $13m, nice payday.

phadedhawg

That's awesome even if he was never a Razorback.  It's good to hear those kinds of stories where someone puts in the work over the years and finally gets a break. 

Good motivation to others to never give up on your dream.

870hogfan

Quote from: NEA_HogFan on March 09, 2015, 05:03:28 pm
I know he didn't play for the Hogs but I just wanted to share this. Jeremy Parnell from Gosnell, Arkansas signed a 5 year 32 million dollar contract to play tackle for the Jacksonville Jaguars today. He was Doug Free's backup at Dallas for the last few years and got the starting position when he went down late in the year. For those that don't know his story, he was a 6-8 basketball star at Gosnell High School from 2001-2004 and had some epic battles with Marcus Monk and the Epc warriors as they were in the same conference. He went on to play basketball at Ole Miss where his career never really took off. Maybe averaged 5-6 points a game. After his senior year Houston Nutt conviced him to try out for the football team and he played 5 games at defensive end. He signed with the Saints as an undrafted free agent and was released and signed to the Dolphins practice squad and then back to the Saints before finally landing in Dallas where they converted him to a full time Offensive tackle. The Cowboys oline coach stated during the season that Parnell could probably start for any other team in the league. He has basketball athleticism and stands at 6-8 300 pounds. I'm happy to see an Arkandsd kid doing well in the pros. Especially being from Mississippi County

I remember him at Gosnell, I went to Manila. His basketball coach didn't use him enough in games he could've dominated but it's good to see him do good!

Blythevillehogwild

I grew up with him he is actually from Blytheville Arkansas but went to school in Gosnell which is what most of the people in this area did because of Blytheville Arkansas is a ruff little town but i love this place but I'm happy to hear that about someone who knows personally

blyhog

Not to mention how heart-warming it is to see.I am happy for his Mom and Grandmother(if any of you remember voting in Bville his Granny was always helping and his mother is a story of true redemption.His athletic talent came from both sides although that heighr came from Frances(his Mom) but more from Arthur(his Dad who was an underacheiving athlete for the Chickasaws.If you knew his struggles you would be cheering loudly for him and his family.

clutch

Quote from: blyhog on March 09, 2015, 10:04:38 pm
Not to mention how heart-warming it is to see.I am happy for his Mom and Grandmother(if any of you remember voting in Bville his Granny was always helping and his mother is a story of true redemption.His athletic talent came from both sides although that heighr came from Frances(his Mom) but more from Arthur(his Dad who was an underacheiving athlete for the Chickasaws.If you knew his struggles you would be cheering loudly for him and his family.

Glad to see him succeeding. Have to admit, when he was in high school I thought he would throw it all away because he was a hothead. I still remember him flipping off the entire EPC crowd after taking a beating at the hands of Monk and company.

With that said, my perspective of him only came from games I saw of him against EPC. I'm sure his emotions were always a little I'm edge during those games since they couldn't quite keep up with that team.

Dumb ole famrboy

Although Gosnell does have football - I am sure there is at least 1 kid every year or so in the state with D-1 talent that gets overlooked and passed by because their school doesn't offer football as a sport.

NEA_HogFan

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on March 10, 2015, 05:59:34 am
Although Gosnell does have football - I am sure there is at least 1 kid every year or so in the state with D-1 talent that gets overlooked and passed by because their school doesn't offer football as a sport.

Yep, crazy thing is he never played football until his senior year at ole miss.

Rooka

I went to many Gosnell games (Football and Basketball) during his time and Gosnell had a pretty stout team in football at least for their classification. It's funny looking back now how the guy that didn't even play football during those years ended up with an NFL career. Such great news for Parnell, he earned this pay day.

clutch

Quote from: Rooka on March 10, 2015, 07:17:27 am
I went to many Gosnell games (Football and Basketball) during his time and Gosnell had a pretty stout team in football at least for their classification. It's funny looking back now how the guy that didn't even play football during those years ended up with an NFL career. Such great news for Parnell, he earned this pay day.

They had a good group of athletes coming through at that time. I remember going up against them in every sport and they were pretty tough in them all. Probably best of all at baseball.

RazorBassin

Nice! Congrats to him!

Mark_Freeman

I can only imagine what $32M would do to my family's life. Changed forever. Congrats to him! Yet another HDN wrong position player, joining George Wilson, Jason Peters, Ryan Mallett and probably a host of others. Haha

kaki

Quote from: Mark_Freeman on March 10, 2015, 12:07:28 pm
I can only imagine what $32M would do to my family's life. Changed forever. Congrats to him! Yet another HDN wrong position player, joining George Wilson, Jason Peters, Ryan Mallett and probably a host of others. Haha
Not Houston Nutt fan, but did you even bother to read the thread?  This young man did not play at Arkansas.  And if you believe that HDN was recruiting Mallett to play tight end, then I have a bridge to sell you, great condition and reasonable price.

Rooka

Quote from: kaki on March 10, 2015, 12:16:30 pm
No Houston Nutt fan, but did you even bother to read the thread?  This young man did not play at Arkansas!  And if you believe that HDN was recruiting Mallett to play tight end, then I have a bridge to sell you, great condition and reasonable price.
He did coach him at Ole Miss.

kaki

Sorry about the previous response, but wasn't he at Ole Miss on a basketball scholarship and only a football afterthought? 

Rooka

Quote from: kaki on March 10, 2015, 12:19:38 pm
He went there on a basketball scholarship, didn't he? 
Correct, but Houston Nutt talked him into trying out for the football team and playing defensive end.

ricepig

Quote from: Rooka on March 10, 2015, 12:22:29 pm
Correct, but Houston Nutt talked him into trying out for the football team and playing defensive end.

Yep, got him the looks for the NFL, fwiw.

clutch

He wasn't big enough to be on the OL while at ole miss and didn't have the eligibility left to get to that point. Houston did a lot of stupid stuff, but him talking this kid into playing football period (something he didn't even do in high school) changed this kids life for the better. He'd never see that $32M without Houston.

(notOM)Rebel123

Wrong.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

swineology

blyhog

Quote from: clutch on March 12, 2015, 08:40:21 pm
He wasn't big enough to be on the OL while at ole miss and didn't have the eligibility left to get to that point. Houston did a lot of stupid stuff, but him talking this kid into playing football period (something he didn't even do in high school) changed this kids life for the better. He'd never see that $32M without Houston.
So true

Junkyard Hog

Not enough time to teach him an o-line position. You get an athlete like that late in the game you have to stick him on the d-line and say, "tackle the dude with the ball".

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Which changed his life.. HDN is not the debil Bobby Boucher..! He can do some things that are not the following: self serving, anti-christian, baby eating, puppy molesting, goat horning, football losing...  Dang people The dude was the coach of some really good Arkansas teams... Not every success was due to him making a mistake while attempting to honk things up..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.