Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Notre Dame O-Lineman to Transfer

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, March 08, 2015, 09:35:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Matt Hegarty, C/OG 6-4 1/2, 295 lbs., set to transfer for this final season of eligibility. Appeared in all 13 games last season, starting 11 of those. Might add depth at Center and might be able to step in and play RG part time allowing younger players to gain some experience without being forced into a starting role.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12419537/matt-hegarty-transfer-notre-dame-fighting-irish
Go Hogs Go!

Calling All Hogs

It looks like he would be a nice pickup for the Hogs.  He seems to be looking for a place where he can play the most to make up for the time he was off. Not sure Arkansas would appeal to him in that regard.

ricepig

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on March 08, 2015, 10:33:54 am
It looks like he would be a nice pickup for the Hogs.  He seems to be looking for a place where he can play the most to make up for the time he was off. Not sure Arkansas would appeal to him in that regard.

Yeah, I don't see him looking at us, but who knows......

onebadrubi

Most wouldn't have thought Cameron Jefferson would either

Hawgzinbowlz

A reasonable and low key approach to transferring. Well placed appreciation from Mr. Hegarty.
If we could use his services and he would be interested +/+. I'm guessing he's looking for a team that has a need for a starter and maybe not as much depth as The Hogs.
CSP profile and our OL use would likely get Matt some attention from NFL scouts.

" GO HOGS "

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 08, 2015, 10:41:14 am
Most wouldn't have thought Cameron Jefferson would either

Nah, that was easy to see, an OT coming/looking for a school to play OT at. We had an open spot, so it makes more sense than OG/C. It was also from a WAC conference school to the SEC, another draw.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on March 08, 2015, 11:39:57 am
Nah, that was easy to see, an OT coming/looking for a school to play OT at. We had an open spot, so it makes more sense than OG/C. It was also from a WAC conference school to the SEC, another draw.

Well he is going somewhere and we do have a OG spot open right now. Now that doesn't necessarily mean that he is going to come here or that the staff would even want him for a single year, but he played in 34 games for Notre and started in 13 of those. Having an experienced O-Lineman to help out, even for a single year, can help be a very effective bridge for up and coming younger linemen.

He may not even be considering us or us considering him, but he looks like a kid who is tough and a fighter, who will graduate in May and has played effectively against big time competition.

I think if we could get him he would be a helpful addition, even if for only a single year.
Go Hogs Go!

razorbacker3

If he doesn't think he will get much playing time at ND because of the OL talent,
what makes anyone think he'll play more here?
Cam Jefferson didn't play as much as most thought  he would.

MuskogeeHogFan

March 08, 2015, 12:34:58 pm #8 Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:56:44 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: razorbacker3 on March 08, 2015, 12:24:24 pm
If he doesn't think he will get much playing time at ND because of the OL talent,
what makes anyone think he'll play more here?
Cam Jefferson didn't play as much as most thought  he would.

He played in 9 and started 2 (Jefferson) last year so he served his purpose in providing needed and talented depth. The need for which, I think is often overlooked.

A guy in his last year definitely wants to play, but I think he also wants to have and be a part of a "special" last year. I think Arkansas offers that, but at this point there isn't any reason to believe that he has interest in us, or we in him. You never know, but he has experience at a high level and his presence here couldn't hurt us at all.
Go Hogs Go!

Theolesnort

Zackly, Ark is getting to a point that any transfer would have to be great not good to contribute.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 08, 2015, 12:34:58 pm
He played in 9 and started 2 (Jefferson) last year so he served his purpose in providing needed and talented depth. The need for which, I think is often overlooked.

A guy in his last year definitely wants to play, but I think he also wants to have and be a part of a "special" last year. I think Arkansas offers that, but at this point there isn't any reason to believe that he has interest in us, or we in him. You never know, but he has experience at a high level and his presence here couldn't hurt us at all.

Quote from: Theolesnort on March 08, 2015, 12:37:46 pm
Zackly, Ark is getting to a point that any transfer would have to be great not good to contribute.

Just sayin.
Go Hogs Go!

Wildhog

We're short on bodies on the OL.  Any potential contributor is welcome.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Styflin

Quote from: Wildhog on March 08, 2015, 02:42:20 pm
We're short on bodies on the OL.  Any potential contributor is welcome.

This is absolutely correct.

Lake City Hog

Has he given any indication of schools that he is considering?
I know of 1 school that has a scholarship to offer right now, Arkansas.
Are there any others with a scholarship to give? How many have room under the 85? How much of a factor will those issues be?

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: Lake City Hog on March 08, 2015, 03:10:15 pm
Has he given any indication of schools that he is considering?
I know of 1 school that has a scholarship to offer right now, Arkansas.
Are there any others with a scholarship to give? How many have room under the 85? How much of a factor will those issues be?
Good point!

Doug

Here's a sad fact that may stop him from considering any SEC school.

Doesn't the SEC itself have a policy where any transfer must have 2 years of eligibility remaining, minimum?
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

ricepig

Quote from: Doug on March 08, 2015, 04:11:59 pm

Doesn't the SEC itself have a policy where any transfer must have 2 years of eligibility remaining, minimum?

Nope, because we wouldn't have gotten Jefferson last year.

Wildhog

Did Cam Jefferson?

I can't remember if he used a redshirt at UNLV or not.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on March 08, 2015, 04:14:02 pm
Did Cam Jefferson?

I can't remember if he used a redshirt at UNLV or not.

If they've graduated I thought they could still come in to the SEC with only 1 year?

Hawgzinbowlz

Doug

Quote from: ricepighttp://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/24577149/sec-lifts-ban-on-accepting-graduate-student-transfers
Thanks. Didn't know that graduate transfers were not limited to that rule.

Interesting note from Florida on their stance with this, too. Figured that they would benefit *very* nicely right now with the recent turmoil they've had.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Inhogswetrust

We've had good luck with a ND transfer before........................................in basketball.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

GolfnHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 09, 2015, 08:26:31 am
We've had good luck with a ND transfer before………………………………….in basketball.

YES we did!!
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

sowmonella

Big Joe from Slater, MO was an all time Hog great. :razorback:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

magoo

Coming from a big ND fan:  Y'all would be getting a big pick-up. He's a very good player who just got caught in a bad situation. I'm hoping he does well wherever he ends up. Came back from a stroke a couple years ago that nearly ended his career.  Coaches explained that there's a good chance he'll lose his starting job, would have to platoon and play guard.

He played Center for us last year most of the season because our starting center, Nick Martin (Dallas OL Zach's brother), had a pretty severe wrist injury & had to switch to guard.

With Martin healthy  (going back to C) and 5-star RS frosh Quentin Nelson too good to keep off the field (at LG) , Hegarty would've ended up platooning at G. He said that he's looking for a school where he can play Center his final year.

PorkRinds

Quote from: magoo on March 10, 2015, 01:48:50 pm
Coming from a big ND fan:  Y'all would be getting a big pick-up. He's a very good player who just got caught in a bad situation. I'm hoping he does well wherever he ends up. Came back from a stroke a couple years ago that nearly ended his career.  Coaches explained that there's a good chance he'll lose his starting job, would have to platoon and play guard.

He played Center for us last year most of the season because our starting center, Nick Martin (Dallas OL Zach's brother), had a pretty severe wrist injury & had to switch to guard.

With Martin healthy  (going back to C) and 5-star RS frosh Quentin Nelson too good to keep off the field (at LG) , Hegarty would've ended up platooning at G. He said that he's looking for a school where he can play Center his final year.

Sorry, but if he can't make the starting line up at ND, he aint going to here.  Our line blows theirs out of the water.

elksnort

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 10, 2015, 01:53:22 pm
Sorry, but if he can't make the starting line up at ND, he aint going to here.  Our line blows theirs out of the water.
REALLY?

How do figure this?

This is a bold statement for an offensive line that seemed to have trouble in short yardage.

MuskogeeHogFan

I don't think that I am going to go that far though our O-Line Stats were superior.

ND        ARK                    ND        ARK
Pass Att         35.6      27.6   Rush Att     37.2      42.8
Sacks All         2.2      1.08   TFL All        6.4       4.8
Att: Sack       16.5     25.6   Att: TFL      5.8        9.0
Sack Yds/GM   16.0      8.0   TFL Yds/GM 27.2      16.1
Neg Yds/Sks     7.4       7.4  Neg Yds/TFL 4.3        3.4

The young man might not start, or maybe he is good enough for us to be able to move Smothers to OG, break Wallace in slowly at OG and OT and allow Ragnow to get more snaps at other positions as well as Center. It isn't necessarily a bad thing to add experienced depth that has played at a high level for one season.

That said, who knows where he lands?
Go Hogs Go!

elksnort

My point is ND doesn't recruit bad offensive linemen.  You can bet the young man could help us out. 

texas tush hog

SIAP Cam Jefferson did not.

LRRandy

Quote from: Theolesnort on March 08, 2015, 12:37:46 pm
7 wins with a bowl game and now you got delusions of grandeur. I would think a guy that was recruited and played at a school like Notre Dame would come in and play. I could be wrong but there is a spot and the "biggest offensive line in the world" had some deficiencies last year. Just sayin
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

then the hogs could have used some water on third and short and fourth and short because they struggled to blow defenses off the line and convert.
This is fun, isn't it.

PorkRinds

Quote from: LRRandy on March 16, 2015, 07:00:39 pm
then the hogs could have used some water on third and short and fourth and short because they struggled to blow defenses off the line and convert.

So aguy that can't make the two deep against a cupcake schedule is the answer to our prayers!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: LRRandy on March 16, 2015, 07:00:39 pm

If they actually called illegal man downfield yours wouldn't have either
This is my non-signature signature.

LRRandy

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on March 16, 2015, 07:13:08 pm
If they actually called illegal man downfield yours wouldn't have either
illegal man downfield on a running play?
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 16, 2015, 07:11:47 pm
So aguy that can't make the two deep against a cupcake schedule is the answer to our prayers!
nobody said " answer to your prayers". It just seems he could come in and compete for a spot.
This is fun, isn't it.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: LRRandy on March 16, 2015, 07:35:28 pm
illegal man downfield on a running play?

There's no such thing dude. But there is when you pass.

Add: and that's the whole point
This is my non-signature signature.