Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DirecTV Now Charging for SEC Network

Started by moses_007, March 03, 2015, 12:51:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

moses_007

When DirecTV agreed to carry the SEC Network last summer, the satellite provider indicated that the SEC Network would be included for free for subscribers of its Choice package or higher tiers.  Now, effective with this month's bill, they are now charging $2.14 per month for the service, adding it to the bottom of the bill as a "regional sports fee."

Obviously this is being charged to every DirecTV subscriber within the SEC footprint, regardless of whether or not a subscriber watches the SEC Network or not.  This really isn't fair since I have friends that never watch any sports... not even the Razorbacks... but they'll be paying for the SEC Network anyway.

Here's the bill I just received:

moses_007

I chatted with a DirecTV rep last night and the fee is definitely for the SEC Network.  It figures they would give it to us free in the beginning, then start charging for it.  Six months from now it may be $6 or more per month.  That's the way these companies operate.

HogFries

It's fine with me.  I'm sure part of my subscription goes to programs on Lifetime and OWN that I don't watch either.

moses_007

What gets me is that these satellite companies have tons of channels that nobody watches.  Who watches OWN?  The Baby Channel?  All the stupid jewelry home shopping channels?

If I had my way about it, I'd only get CNN, all the ESPN channels, and SEC Network on satellite, but they don't offer it alacarte.  I have Roku with internet streaming for Netflix, HBO and Showtime.

ricepig

They all will be charging extra, it's what they do..........

moses_007

They're just like cell phone companies...give you a bargain the first year, then stick you in the butt with extremely high bills the second year, and then they wonder why you leave them after the two year contract is up.

hogsanity

Do you know how much they are having to pay to carry the sec network?

Do you know how much ESPN would cost if they offered it ala carte?

Blame the programmers not the carriers.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on March 03, 2015, 01:10:26 pm

Exactly.

moses_007

Quote from: hogsanity on March 03, 2015, 01:10:26 pm

I doubt the ESPN Networks would cost over $10 a month ala carte, and the SEC Network perhaps $5.

1highhog

I've never understood why anyone, and I'm talking about my friends I know, have Direct TV.  They're the worst provider out there, they've never been able to compete with Dish in price or programming.  My parents have Direct TV because my idiot cousin works for them and he talked them into it.  They are now paying over $65.00 a month for what I'd term basic satellite.

I've had Dish for 18 years.  My highest bill reached in the mid $80's two years ago.  I called them and told them I was wanting my service disconnected. I went through all the whys and what's wrong garbage, I told them and I quote, there's nothing on, I want my local channels, but honestly, all these other channels y'all have are garbage, either news, or religion, or some other crap no one watches.  And as far as movie channels, my sports channels, I can download all of that off the Internet, the movies I can watch before they hit the theaters.  Why do I need to shell out $87 a month to y'all for?  So the head person gets on their, I'm feeling as though I'm at a car dealership, I love doing this darn by the way, so he tells me, you've been a faithful customer 18 years, how about if we cut your bill to $35.95 with local channels included on a 2 year service plan?  I said no where near good enough.  I said if you go $21.95 with no service agreement for every year and include all premium stations for a full year, I'll consider that a done deal.

They said yes, for the last two years we've agreed to keep agreement. 

moses_007

I had Dish for two different two year contracts, and my highest bill was around $50.  My DirecTV bill has now jumped to $84 a month, so I told them yesterday to cut it off.  I'm not paying that anymore for TV channels I never watch.

The rep I talked to yesterday admitted to me that DirecTV isn't the cheapest.  I agreed with him, and furthermore, I told him they were the most expensive........

hogsanity

Quote from: moses_007 on March 03, 2015, 01:19:08 pm
I doubt the ESPN Networks would cost over $10 a month ala carte, and the SEC Network perhaps $5.

I bet ESPN would be at least $20. When I was dealing with them 15 years ago they were pushing $5 and that was if the carrier agreed to also carry espn2, and put both on basic. That was before the explosion in rights fees.

Lets say a cable operator has 1mil subscribers and they pay ESPN $5 per sub, per month, that is $60mil in subscribers fees per year. Now lets suppose the cable co offered it ala carte at $10 per month. They would have to get a 50% subscription rate just to break even, PLUS ESPN would lose advertising money due to losing 500,000 sets of eyeballs. Where do you think they are going to make up that revenue? They are going to charge more for their channel.

The killer in cable and sat fees is all the niche channels. Discovery wants money PLUS carriage of all their little niche channels. A&E wants you to pay AND carry History 2 and the Biography channel. Viacom knows if you want Nick, you will pay AND carry Nick2, Nick JR VH1 etc. ESPN, they know DTV will pay big money PLUS carry ESPN NEWS and ESPN Classic, and probably pay a few pennies per subscriber for those too.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hoggish1

Quote from: moses_007 on March 03, 2015, 12:51:30 pm
When DirecTV agreed to carry the SEC Network last summer, the satellite provider indicated that the SEC Network would be included for free for subscribers of its Choice package or higher tiers.  Now, effective with this month's bill, they are now charging $2.14 per month for the service, adding it to the bottom of the bill as a "regional sports fee."

Obviously this is being charged to every DirecTV subscriber within the SEC footprint, regardless of whether or not a subscriber watches the SEC Network or not.  This really isn't fair since I have friends that never watch any sports... not even the Razorbacks... but they'll be paying for the SEC Network anyway.

Here's the bill I just received:

It's said that's the kind of stuff Direct does.  Seems it might be true...

Hoggish1

Quote from: moses_007 on March 03, 2015, 12:59:39 pm
What gets me is that these satellite companies have tons of channels that nobody watches.  Who watches OWN?  The Baby Channel?  All the stupid jewelry home shopping channels?

If I had my way about it, I'd only get CNN, all the ESPN channels, and SEC Network on satellite, but they don't offer it alacarte. 

I agree.  We don't need to pay for what we don't use.  But you can bet that al a carte pricing, say for local channels and a handful of those your want will probably cost more than the 250 (or more) you now have.

k.c.hawg

DirecTV bill is a $168 a month and I never think twice about it. I've had it since since the first weeks it launched and never have considered changing. That might be tested in the next month or so....KC Metro area was the launching spot for Google fiber to the house. 1000 Mbps internet with TV available as well. Should be available at my house in the next couple of months as they are at my corner now. Odds are I'll keep DTV but Google does have ESPN Networks and SEC so it can be an option to consider.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

LRHawg

God I wish google fiber would come to my hometown.  :'(

HogNdazs

Dude, go Google Fiber as soon as you can. Read all the reviews. I have one friend who has it and would basically be a free salesman for them he likes it so much. And the internet is so fast.

phadedhawg

I love my Directv.  It is non-negotiable in our house.  I've had friends who were conned into Dish and they came crawling back pretty quick.  To each their own I guess. 

Boohooo about paying for the SECN.  It's a great channel, I watch more college sports than I ever dreamed I would.  Watched Arkansas vs Missouri in gymnastics last night. 

If Directv had not found a way to deliver the SECN there would have been epic meltdown.  Seems to me this is a pretty fair way to roll it out.  Of course getting something for nothing is always more popular.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: LRHawg on March 03, 2015, 01:44:59 pm
God I wish google fiber would come to my hometown.  :'(

It is unbelievable to watch them build the infrastructure. I'm in Lees Summit and we are about the 3rd burb in the Metro to be going on line. They literally have crews pushing conduit on 40-50 streets at the same time.....north, south, east, west......I've never seen anything like it. I guess it helps to have tens of billions in cash reserves.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: HogNdazs on March 03, 2015, 01:46:49 pm
Dude, go Google Fiber as soon as you can. Read all the reviews. I have one friend who has it and would basically be a free salesman for them he likes it so much. And the internet is so fast.

Yeah I'll definitely have the internet service as soon as available...I'll have to examine the TV portion.

ARtillahog

I wish a satellite company would allow you to choose which stations you wanted in your packages and charge accordingly.

I could be a HUGE advertising/marketing target process advantage.

WardamnHOGGLE

Directv has been good for me.  The quality is good.  Hell, I love it when they screw up.  That's when I get extras free.
When the SEC Network came out I used Directv's inaction to my advantage.  I got my bill cut in half and ended up getting the Network in the end anyway.  PLUS I don't have to pay for GamePlan now. 
Thanks to the hogville for pointing out to me (can't remember the poster) what they did to take advantage of this. :razorback:

Professor Psychosis

March 03, 2015, 02:02:22 pm #23 Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 02:13:38 pm by Professor Psychosis
http://www.sling.com/

This may not be viable for everyone, particularly if you have poor internet speed (and don't get local channels over the air very good), but this is what I'm doing for football season this year.

For $20 per month, you get ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, CNN, and Disney for those of you with kids.

Want SEC Network?  For $5 additional, you get it plus ESPNU, ESPN News, and some other sports channels.

I've been watching this for awhile and they continue to add new channels to their lineup, and now it looks like they have a free 7-day trial, which will be perfect for March Madness, as the only channel I won't have is the TruTV one.  I don't carry cable except during football season, and if Sling works out for me, I'll never carry cable again except for internet.

Edit:  They do not allow you to stream to multiple devices at the same time right now, apparently, which may be a dealbreaker for some.  Also, they are adding AMC to the $20 package.

hogsanity

What i have never been able to figure out is why people complain so much about their tv bill when it is useable 24/7 ( except in an outage of course ). I pay $190 month for uverse video, dsl, and phone. That is something around $0.26, YES TWENTY SIX CENTS an hour.

The_Iceman

Quote from: ARtillahog on March 03, 2015, 01:52:06 pm
I wish a satellite company would allow you to choose which stations you wanted in your packages and charge accordingly.

I could be a HUGE advertising/marketing target process advantage.

Won't happen. The TV stations want guaranteed viewers to sell their advertisements.

moses_007

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on March 03, 2015, 02:02:22 pm

This may not be viable for everyone, particularly if you have poor internet speed (and don't get local channels over the air very good), but this is what I'm doing for football season this year.

For $20 per month, you get ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, CNN, and Disney for those of you with kids.

Want SEC Network?  For $5 additional, you get it plus ESPNU, ESPN News, and some other sports channels.

I've been watching this for awhile and they continue to add new channels to their lineup, and now it looks like they have a free 7-day trial, which will be perfect for March Madness, as the only channel I won't have is the TruTV one.  I don't carry cable except during football season, and if Sling works out for me, I'll never carry cable again except for internet.

Edit:  They do not allow you to stream to multiple devices at the same time right now, apparently, which may be a dealbreaker for some.  Also, they are adding AMC to the $20 package.
I could get everything I ever watch there for only $25 a month, and NO DARNED TWO YEAR CONTRACT.

https://www.sling.com/package

That's a helluva lot better than paying DirecTV $85 a month for all their crap.

1highhog

But everything I've seen mentioned or been over at my friends houses and seen on their Direct TV plans I have plus more.  And I still pay in the $20's per month, no contract, we revisit each other every year, same song and dance, they still try to sell me on this and that, I tell them what I told them in the first place, I don't need their service, yank it. We end up leaving everything as is.  They want the number of subscribers, they're not worrying as much about a few who has simply said, nope!  I'm not paying this high price for mostly crap but a few stations I actually watch.  They want to keep that number of subscribers up though.  I hardly ever lose signal, just got my entire system upgraded to HD, which was a little late but that was more me, and why in the hell would you guys pay over $100 a month on satellite?

Peter Porker

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on March 03, 2015, 02:02:22 pm

That's what I have on my Roku. I decided to not pay $200 for 5 channels so I dropped satellite. i just hope sling last.
hopefully, it's not popular and big money ppl don't try to shut it down.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

moses_007

I really can't imagine why anyone would pay $160 to $200 a month for freeking television?  Those that do must not have any other life other than TV.

I stay busy online on several message boards, and running an online hobby business, and I simply don't have the time, or care much, for TV.... unless the Razorbacks are playing.....

hogsanity

Quote from: moses_007 on March 03, 2015, 03:16:24 pm
I really can't imagine why anyone would pay $160 to $200 a month for freeking television?  Those that do must not have any other life other than TV.

I stay busy online on several message boards, and running an online hobby business, and I simply don't have the time, or care much, for TV.... unless the Razorbacks are playing.....

Like I said my bill is net, video, and phone. I cant see how anyone can fill their life with message boards.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 03, 2015, 03:07:39 pm
That's what I have on my Roku. I decided to not pay $200 for 5 channels so I dropped satellite. i just hope sling last.
hopefully, it's not popular and big money ppl don't try to shut it down.

Sling TV is owned by Dish Network so I doubt it will shutdown....it will just get more expensive as it grows in subscribers. It was created to reel in the young generations willing to use internet based TV to avoid cable and satellite subscriptions.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: moses_007 on March 03, 2015, 03:16:24 pm

90% of my television viewing is college sports, NFL and MLB. I gamble some on sports and often I am DVR'ng 10 -12 games over a several hour period for studying teams at a later time. My wife is retired and enjoys watching TV, having on demand, having the ability to dvr multiple shows for future playback. To me it is like having electricity or natural gas. It makes the house comfortable and efficient.

Peter Porker

Quote from: k.c.hawg on March 03, 2015, 03:21:38 pm
Sling TV is owned by Dish Network so I doubt it will shutdown....it will just get more expensive as it grows in subscribers. It was created to reel in the young generations willing to use internet based TV to avoid cable and satellite subscriptions.

Yea, i knew it was owned by Dish.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

k.c.hawg

March 03, 2015, 03:32:46 pm #34 Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 03:44:52 pm by k.c.hawg
Quote from: Peter Porker on March 03, 2015, 03:31:14 pm
Yea, i knew it was owned by Dish.

I would think that gives it a better than good chance to become a mainstream product.

1highhog

To break it all down, none of us need Satellite anymore, you can get everything right from your computer as long as you have the proper built computer and a couple of other things.  You can get anything by just having your Computer on and simply Turing on your TV. 

But all I've tried to show is that nobody has to pay the outrageous prices they're paying for Satellite, if your provider won't negotiate with you like mine has continually done for me, you've got the wrong company.

Peter Porker

Quote from: k.c.hawg on March 03, 2015, 03:32:46 pm
I would think that that gives it a a better than good chance to become a mainstream produc.

I guess what I'm afraid of is cost going up ridiculously.

Hog N Bama

I have UVerse and overall I am happy. I just get on the phone with them and flat out tell them I am not going to pay the rates they charge for TV, Cell Phone, and Internet when I can get the same elsewhere at a lower price. In the end they always cave and agree to much lower rates for another one year term. They make up for people like me with all the suckers out there that never bother to take the time to challenge the bill.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 03, 2015, 03:44:36 pm
I guess what I'm afraid of is cost going up ridiculously.

ESPN is walking a fine line, especially while shelling out record $ on sports league contracts and being the most expensive content provider for cable and satellite. They have a limit on how many subscribers they will allow on sling....I don't know what happens when they reach that number.....my best guess is they begin to get some ownership in the service or cost escalators go into effect.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Hog N Bama on March 03, 2015, 03:53:00 pm
I have UVerse and overall I am happy. I just get on the phone with them and flat out tell them I am not going to pay the rates they charge for TV, Cell Phone, and Internet when I can get the same elsewhere at a lower price. In the end they always cave and agree to much lower rates for another one year term. They make up for people like me with all the suckers out there that never bother to take the time to challenge the bill.

And yet you're still paying more than some of us.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 03, 2015, 04:11:53 pm
And yet you're still paying more than some of us.
I don't recall mentioning what I was paying but that's entirely possible. But I bet I am paying far less than most UVerse customers with equal features, and I have 5 TVs in my house.

OldCoot

Quote from: k.c.hawg on March 03, 2015, 01:41:43 pm
DirecTV bill is a $168 a month and I never think twice about it. I've had it since since the first weeks it launched and never have considered changing. That might be tested in the next month or so....KC Metro area was the launching spot for Google fiber to the house. 1000 Mbps internet with TV available as well. Should be available at my house in the next couple of months as they are at my corner now. Odds are I'll keep DTV but Google does have ESPN Networks and SEC so it can be an option to consider.

You had me at fiber.  I would salivate at that.

Break & Run

Quote from: Hog N Bama on March 03, 2015, 03:53:00 pm

Hmmm...I sell Uverse. What's the cost that you're paying monthly? PM me if you want..
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

STLhawg

from http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/is-dish-network-s-new-sling-tv-a-big-deal-for-espn-and-sports-networks-010715:
QuoteHere are the 13 most expensive channels in sports and what they cost every subscriber per month:
1. ESPN $6.04
2. NFL Network $1.22
3. Pac 12 Network .80
4. ESPN2 .74
5. SEC Network .68
5. FS1 .68
7. Big Ten Network .38
8. NBATV .27
9. NBC Sports Network .27
10. CBS Sports Network .25
11. ESPN News .23
12. ESPN Classic .21
13. ESPNU .21

So that's what the sat/cable companies are paying for each sub that gets that channel.

STLhawg

Quote from: 1highhog on March 03, 2015, 01:23:06 pm
I said if you go $21.95 with no service agreement for every year and include all premium stations for a full year, I'll consider that a done deal.

They said yes, for the last two years we've agreed to keep agreement.
What package are you getting from DISH?  I'm about to cancel with them.  My bill has crept up to almost $75/month for just TOP 120+.  Depending on your package, they're likely losing money on you -- not sure why they'd do that every year.

Farmer Hogget

If I had my way about it, I'd only get CNN, all the ESPN channels, and SEC Network on satellite, but they don't offer it alacarte.  I have Roku with internet streaming for Netflix, HBO and Showtime.

SO, you are one of the 15 people who watch CNN, eh? :(

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: 1highhog on March 03, 2015, 03:35:34 pm
To break it all down, none of us need Satellite anymore, you can get everything right from your computer as long as you have the proper built computer and a couple of other things.  You can get anything by just having your Computer on and simply Turing on your TV. 

But all I've tried to show is that nobody has to pay the outrageous prices they're paying for Satellite, if your provider won't negotiate with you like mine has continually done for me, you've got the wrong company.
Maybe Dish learned from me and that benefitted you.  I had them for over 8 years on and off during several moves.  I asked them to give me some sort of deal after it got up to an unreasonable amount and I would see the deals out there to reel in new customers.  I asked if they could do anything.  I was told no.  I said send me a box and I will mail your equipment back to you.  For the last five years while I have had cable and now Direct, I have gotten mail from Dish at least once and sometimes twice a week.  The sheer amount of wasted postage and mail could've been avoided with any sort of effort on their part.  Both of them are so stupid about their business model of jacking up prices until they drive you to another provider.  Where I live in the boondocks, it is pretty much one or the other, and frankly, Dish pissed me off so bad back then, Direct would have to do some serious damage to me for me to consider them again.

Red Porkhustle

How are you getting HBO and Showtime on Roku without having a subscription on Directv or a Cox or some other provider?

1highhog

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on March 03, 2015, 10:29:59 pm
Maybe Dish learned from me and that benefitted you.  I had them for over 8 years on and off during several moves.  I asked them to give me some sort of deal after it got up to an unreasonable amount and I would see the deals out there to reel in new customers.  I asked if they could do anything.  I was told no.  I said send me a box and I will mail your equipment back to you.  For the last five years while I have had cable and now Direct, I have gotten mail from Dish at least once and sometimes twice a week.  The sheer amount of wasted postage and mail could've been avoided with any sort of effort on their part.  Both of them are so stupid about their business model of jacking up prices until they drive you to another provider.  Where I live in the boondocks, it is pretty much one or the other, and frankly, Dish pissed me off so bad back then, Direct would have to do some serious damage to me for me to consider them again.

I've been with Dish Network since they basically started out, I've never switched to another provider.  I along with my wife have had both Direct TV on the phones and I'm switching from one to the other, asking will you give me this, then the other will you give me this plus this, steadily back and forth.  I get HBO, Showtime, Max, TMC, and the Western Channel, Sec Network, all ESPN's, and A&E my History Channels, AMC, IFC, local channels, and the rest of the crapola filler they put on there.  I get all of that for $21.95 and I should have said in. Y first post that's not including tax.  Tax runs it to around $26 I think.

1highhog

Quote from: STLhawgg on March 03, 2015, 09:52:56 pm
What package are you getting from DISH?  I'm about to cancel with them.  My bill has crept up to almost $75/month for just TOP 120+.  Depending on your package, they're likely losing money on you -- not sure why they'd do that every year.

I'm not really on a package, I told them the channels I'd like and we went from there.  Trust me, they're not losing money, now if everyone was doing this, then sure.  But as someone who works for Dish told me, as this didn't come from and installer, these companies like Direct TV and Dish care a lot about their numbers as well, the number of viewers they have.  I absolutely love haggling with dealerships when buying new trucks, but I swear these guys go just as hard if not harder to keep you.

Ever go to Florida and go do the 90 minute Timeshare tours?  If you have, you know what he'll is trying to get them to understand the word NO!  They have 90 minutes to show you, feed you and give their sells pitch.  Now you either can opt for a pair of tickets to the park of your choice, or, take the cash instead.

My wife and I own two timeshares already, don't need anymore, but we go down to Orlando and stay for two weeks, it rains a lot in Florida, so on rainy times, we will hit the timeshare tours.  We've been to every park more times than we can count, usually just go to Daytona bike week now, so we've hit over 5 of those things and left Florida $500 richer than when we arrived.  When they go past that 90 minute mark, we'll excuse ourselves, tell them we've already been here our allotted time and we want our money or tickets.  Gets tense at times but in a day of rain $500 ain't bad.