Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heading to BMT at Lackland Air Force Base

Started by hawgwild child, April 16, 2013, 12:16:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgwild child

Heading out tomorrow, ready for the challenges that await and ready to come back to the 188th fighter wing and contribute my service.  My pride is at an all time height right now

Flying Razorback

Awesome!  Good luck down there!  Take it all in, learn as much as you can, help your buds, and make some memories.  As you can tell by the BMT stories in the thread here it's something that will last a lifetime and help define you as a person. 

Good luck!  Look forward to hearing how it went when you get back!
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

DevilHog1775

Boll Hawg

Let us know when you're done.  I spent 12 weeks at Lackland back in 2000.  Graduated BMT, got on a bus and went a mile down the road to tech school for 6 more weeks.  No bueno.  Hated that place! 
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

H&D

Quote from: Boll Hawg on April 22, 2013, 12:40:38 pm
Let us know when you're done.  I spent 12 weeks at Lackland back in 2000.  Graduated BMT, got on a bus and went a mile down the road to tech school for 6 more weeks.  No bueno.  Hated that place! 

Same here, in 2000 also.  What BMT Squadron.  Only my tech school was 10 1/2 weeks with a four wait too even get started.  But I did get to yell at basic students at clothing issue for those four weeks, so that made up for it.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Boll Hawg

Quote from: H&D on April 22, 2013, 01:04:17 pm
Same here, in 2000 also.  What BMT Squadron.  Only my tech school was 10 1/2 weeks with a four wait too even get started.  But I did get to yell at basic students at clothing issue for those four weeks, so that made up for it.

324th Knights!  I was there in May-June. Then went to Air Transportation tech school July-August.  You must've been SP?

H&D

Quote from: Boll Hawg on April 23, 2013, 11:21:16 am
324th Knights!  I was there in May-June. Then went to Air Transportation tech school July-August.  You must've been SP?

321st Alcatraz, 100ft from the gate.  They told us to run for it all the time.  I was there from Jan-June all together.  What is this SP you speak of, it's SF....lol.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Boll Hawg

SP - Security Police.  That's what they were called back then, right? 

SP's had a phenomenal chow hall.  We'd walk an extra mile just to visit it sometimes.   

H&D

Quote from: Boll Hawg on April 23, 2013, 01:08:34 pm
SP - Security Police.  That's what they were called back then, right? 

SP's had a phenomenal chow hall.  We'd walk an extra mile just to visit it sometimes.   

No, they had changed to Security Forces a few years before then (mid 90's I think).  They changed the name when they combined the Police and Security.  Before that, you were one or the other.  Now they are all the same.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Boll Hawg

I always kind of wished I would have been SF.  But, they deploy an awful lot and I'm not really into that.  I remember seeing guys moping around Lackland, especially at the BDU club, saying they had been waiting 5-8 weeks to start SF tech school.  That layover must've sucked!  I was ready to get the heck up outta there! 

H&D

Quote from: Boll Hawg on April 23, 2013, 03:08:48 pm
I always kind of wished I would have been SF.  But, they deploy an awful lot and I'm not really into that.  I remember seeing guys moping around Lackland, especially at the BDU club, saying they had been waiting 5-8 weeks to start SF tech school.  That layover must've sucked!  I was ready to get the heck up outta there! 

My wait wasn't bad, I worked over at Clothing Issue.  I was one of the guys that threw socks in your bag as walked around getting your clothes.  Then I yelled at you while you were changing.  It was cool because they gave us black t-shirts and nice boots (so we didn't look like we were just out of basic).
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Airforcehawg

Quote from: Boll Hawg on April 22, 2013, 12:40:38 pm

LACKLAND IS AWESOME!!! I was down there for 9 years. I was CATM down there...pretty good chance I was one of you guys instructors. I am in Vegas now fixin to go to Germany, but i would go back to San Antonio in a heartbeat. Love that place...Big city thats spread out so it has a smaller town field. So many lakes to fish around there...so many deer to kill...Austin not that far away...2 hours from the coast...delicious Mexican food...dear diary Jackpot

Boll Hawg

I'm sure if I went back TDY, or to visit I'd have a different opinion of the place.  But being stuck there for 12 weeks with very limited access to what's off base made me have a negative view of the base.   

H&D

Quote from: Boll Hawg on April 25, 2013, 08:31:08 am
I'm sure if I went back TDY, or to visit I'd have a different opinion of the place.  But being stuck there for 12 weeks with very limited access to what's off base made me have a negative view of the base.   

No kidding, the class two classes ahead of mine were always in trouble.  They kept the whole school on lockdown.  I wasn't able to go off base until my last two weeks there.  They had people get arrested for drugs, they made a sex tape at Camp Bullis.  They were out of control.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Boll Hawg

We stayed locked down also.  Out of BMT, I was really looking forward to some freedom but was in for a rude awakening.  MY 1st weekend of tech school they made us fall out at 2:00 p.m. in the July heat for PT.  We had people falling out left & right.  My roomate was a total DA, and would stay out way past accountability.  I'd then have ropes coming into my room at 3-4 a.m. waking me up demanding to know where he was.  Then, our dining hall got closed down and we had to bus over to Medina for every meal.  Freakin' miserable!   

Albert Einswine

I was there in '85. Sucked we only got one day on the obstacle course, that was a freakin' blast!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Boll Hawg

Quote from: Albert Einswine on April 25, 2013, 10:22:07 am
I was there in '85. Sucked we only got one day on the obstacle course, that was a freakin' blast!

We also only got one day.  That was the best day of BMT.  We had a great time on it! 

H&D

Quote from: Albert Einswine on April 25, 2013, 10:22:07 am

When I was waiting for Tech School they came and got a couple of us to work at the Obstacle Course for two day.  They were redoing some of the Obstacles and stuff, we were basically just there to carry heavy stuff.  The SSgt that was over us took us to the Main BX for lunch the first day.  After we ate he told us to go in the BX and buy bathing suits.  He let us swim in the pits (which had been recently drained and had clean water in them) each day for a couple of hours.  One of the best times I had at Lackland.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

bob slydell

Spent 8 years in San Antonio and absolutely loved it.  Probably would have had a different view had I been there for basic though.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

AirForceHog

All this defender talk is making me sick...haha. Just kidding
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

H&D

Quote from: AirForceHog on April 30, 2013, 12:32:21 am
All this defender talk is making me sick...haha. Just kidding

DEFENDERS!!!!!!! Keep quite grease monkey or I'll make some calls and make sure you are "randomly" searched next time you drive on base........

You forgot "flames out and crashes" in your signature line......  ;)
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

AirForceHog

AirForceHog

It's funny how the SF CC AKA Sheriff has become such good friends with me. He likes to hunt and I own the Ammo.

hawgwild child

Been done with bmt about a month now. im up here in ft Leonard wood for tech school.