Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson in 90 seconds

Started by hogsanity, January 18, 2018, 08:15:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: Rbill on January 18, 2018, 09:09:38 pm
I'm surprised more people and media aren't talking about this. We looked pathetic last year too at one point. Macon was in the doghouse. Then we ran a zone a whole lot and it turned around. And keep our big man in the lane for pete's sake.

How much of the turnaround last year was the zone and how much was the competition? How many NCAAT teams did the Hogs play after they lost to Vandy in BWA? The answer is 4, SC, FLa, in the reg season and then Vandy agian and KY in the sect. Hogs split those 4 games. For the season last year in the sec the played 8 sec games against ncaat teams and went 3-5.

The sec was much weaker last year. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: hogsanity on January 18, 2018, 09:10:44 am
Then why, after 61/2 seasons are they still switching every ball screen, even though it kills them time after time after time after time?

I called game this week where one team switched the ball screen the entire 1st Q and they were getting hurt doing so. Guess what their coach told them in between quarters, yes, you guessed it, stop switching. They stopped and it shut down what the opponent had been doing. Why do the Hogs continue to do this, you'd think it would be really easy to stop doing.

You are short sighted. Simple as that. One of those can't see the forest for the trees types.

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: hogsanity on January 19, 2018, 08:46:31 am
How much of the turnaround last year was the zone and how much was the competition? How many NCAAT teams did the Hogs play after they lost to Vandy in BWA? The answer is 4, SC, FLa, in the reg season and then Vandy agian and KY in the sect. Hogs split those 4 games. For the season last year in the sec the played 8 sec games against ncaat teams and went 3-5.

The sec was much weaker last year.

Players have to hit shots. The difference between the game against Florida was they were hitting contested shots and we weren't. Mike doesn't have any eligibility left. He can't get out there and shoot the ball for his team. Sometimes the home team comes out on fire. It happens. Macon has been off. We were climbing back in the game when Macon made a dumb play. It killed our momentum. Again it happens.

Sometimes its just as simple as they hit shots we didn't. I know that doesn't fit your agenda. But carry on.

hogsanity

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 19, 2018, 11:18:49 am
Players have to hit shots. The difference between the game against Florida was they were hitting contested shots and we weren't. Mike doesn't have any eligibility left. He can't get out there and shoot the ball for his team. Sometimes the home team comes out on fire. It happens. Macon has been off. We were climbing back in the game when Macon made a dumb play. It killed our momentum. Again it happens.

Sometimes its just as simple as they hit shots we didn't. I know that doesn't fit your agenda. But carry on.

If it was one game I'd agree. But so far 6 SEC games and all 6 have looked the same. Only for the sake of Tn and Mizzu running out of bodies are the Hogs not 0-6 right now. At what point is it more than a fluke that the Hogs opponents seem to always shoot really well against the Hogs?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: hogsanity on January 19, 2018, 11:28:06 am
If it was one game I'd agree. But so far 6 SEC games and all 6 have looked the same. Only for the sake of Tn and Mizzu running out of bodies are the Hogs not 0-6 right now. At what point is it more than a fluke that the Hogs opponents seem to always shoot really well against the Hogs?

Teams get up to play us. When you have a top ten RPI then there is a target on your back. This team will be better down the stretch bc of it. Why not let the season play out before throwing dirt on the coach ? It comes across like you aren't a fan at all.

hogsanity

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 19, 2018, 11:31:32 am
Teams get up to play us. When you have a top ten RPI then there is a target on your back. This team will be better down the stretch bc of it. Why not let the season play out before throwing dirt on the coach ? It comes across like you aren't a fan at all.

Every year, heck every week, it is some excuse to cover for Mike Anderson and his shortcomings as a coach. Now it is because of having a good RPI teams get up to play the Hogs? LOL, thats lame even for you, and btw, no way you are a new poster, just a new account.

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: hogsanity on January 19, 2018, 11:34:06 am
Every year, heck every week, it is some excuse to cover for Mike Anderson and his shortcomings as a coach. Now it is because of having a good RPI teams get up to play the Hogs? LOL, thats lame even for you, and btw, no way you are a new poster, just a new account.

That makes you wrong on two accounts. Teams want to get into the tournament. PERIOD. Thats the number one goal every year for every team. Arkansas came into SEC play with an RPI that was top ten. You think that doesn't matter to teams ? You think coaches aren't saying resume win boys ? You know even less about coaching than I thought if thats the case.

hogsanity

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 19, 2018, 11:40:18 am
That makes you wrong on two accounts. Teams want to get into the tournament. PERIOD. Thats the number one goal every year for every team. Arkansas came into SEC play with an RPI that was top ten. You think that doesn't matter to teams ? You think coaches aren't saying resume win boys ? You know even less about coaching than I thought if thats the case.

So then what has been the reason the last 6 years then, when their rpi was not very good?

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: hogsanity on January 19, 2018, 11:47:13 am
So then what has been the reason the last 6 years then, when their rpi was not very good?

We haven't had the talent to compete. Its just now getting better. We have used walk ons and guys MQ who have over-acheived. Recruiting to a gym thats empty isn't as easy as you think. But Mike built it. It just took longer than most of us expected or hoped.

Dusty Hannahs is a good example. What did he do at Tech ? Nothing. Here he was one of our best players. Like I said some of you aren't objective at all.

GuvHog

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 19, 2018, 11:49:20 am
We haven't had the talent to compete. Its just now getting better. We have used walk ons and guys MQ who have over-acheived. Recruiting to a gym thats empty isn't as easy as you think. But Mike built it. It just took longer than most of us expected or hoped.

Dusty Hannahs is a good example. What did he do at Tech ? Nothing. Here he was one of our best players. Like I said some of you aren't objective at all.

It's just now getting better 7 years after Mike was hired?? Man I've heard lame excuses but that one takes the cake. It doesn't take seven years to improve talent, that's ridiculous.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogsanity

Oh, there is a lack of talent alright, unfortunately it is in the HC.

ParkerSchnabel

Many of you make the decision to PERCEIVE that the coaching is bad. Its NOT. Far from it. Why do you do that to your own team ? Mike came in to a scorched earth program. Took walk-ons, transfers and anything he could get his hands on and built it one piece at a time.

Am I happy about the regression that has happened at the start of SEC play ? Nope. But its not a coaching problem. Some of our best guys have hit a scoring slump. One reason is they are playing way more minutes per game than they should with this style. Bc some of the younger talent hasn't stepped up yet. It will. And when it does this team will be a top 4 team. Mark it down.

Basketball is as much about rhythm as any sport out there. Mike knows how to fine tune that with his teams. And he will. Just enjoy and try to be objective.

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: GuvHog on January 19, 2018, 11:52:07 am
It's just now getting better 7 years after Mike was hired?? Man I've heard lame excuses but that one takes the cake.

Gimmee a break. You try recruiting to the ghost town the Bud was the last 7 years. And I"m saying the talent is just now better. I've enjoyed watching the last 7 years. I liked beating S.H. I liked beating Kentucky. I liked taking UNC down to the wire. I liked beating OU. It hasn't been a bad 7 years like some of you try to make it.

Kevin

I knew the program was terrible was the next move.

was there dirt under the playing floor, with movable bleachers on the baseline?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: hogsanity on January 19, 2018, 11:52:18 am
Oh, there is a lack of talent alright, unfortunately it is in the HC.

You couldn't be more wrong.

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: Kevin on January 19, 2018, 11:56:04 am
I knew the program was terrible was the next move.

was there dirt under the playing floor, with movable bleachers on the baseline?

Move ? Was it bad or not ? 20 years of STINCH. Thats a fact. And it was rebuilt year 3. You guys just refuse to give any credit to anything Mike has done.

ParkerSchnabel

RS   SOS   PTS   PTS   AP Pre   AP High   AP Final   NCAA Tournament   Coach(es)
1   2017-18   SEC   12   6   .667   16.55   7.82   84.4   75.7      22         Mike Anderson (12-6)
2   2016-17   SEC   26   10   .722   14.04   8.60   79.3   73.9            Lost Second Round   Mike Anderson (26-10)
3   2015-16   SEC   16   16   .500   10.23   6.76   78.2   74.7               Mike Anderson (16-16)
4   2014-15   SEC   27   9   .750   14.07   6.79   77.4   70.1      18   21   Lost Third Round   Mike Anderson (27-9)
5   2013-14   SEC   22   12   .647   14.34   5.57   80.1   71.3               Mike Anderson (22-12)
6   2012-13   SEC   19   13   .594   9.82   4.97   73.7   68.8               Mike Anderson (19-13)
7   2011-12   SEC   18   14   .563   5.76   3.63   71.8   69.7               Mike Anderson (18-14)

GuvHog

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 19, 2018, 11:54:30 am
Gimmee a break. You try recruiting to the ghost town the Bud was the last 7 years. And I"m saying the talent is just now better. I've enjoyed watching the last 7 years. I liked beating S.H. I liked beating Kentucky. I liked taking UNC down to the wire. I liked beating OU. It hasn't been a bad 7 years like some of you try to make it.

With the exception of 2 years, yeah it's been bad.

Kevin

he gets credit for finding durham & qualls to join portis and get us in the ncaa tournament for a year.

he gets credit for last year getting the team back into the tournament.

just like he gets the blame for the other years of not getting to the tournament. losing to teams they shouldn't.

currently have the worst scoring margin in the sec.

have a mismanged roster of 6 seniors, something he did at missouri also.

he gets credit but with some of us, he also gets the criticism.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: GuvHog on January 19, 2018, 11:59:30 am
With the exception of 2 years, yeah it's been bad.

We just disagree. In his third year when we won 22 we were robbed from getting into the NCAA. Every year I see steady improvement. With the exception of the year we unexpectedly lost MQ and Portis. Now its on the rise again. If the past is an indicator we will win more than 26 this year.

So why be negative over a few early conferences loses ? I know. Some of you just don't like Mike.

hogsanity

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 19, 2018, 11:54:30 am

As always with you Mike backers/post drivers, it is everyone and everythings fault but Mike.

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: Kevin on January 19, 2018, 12:01:34 pm
he gets credit for finding durham & qualls to join portis and get us in the ncaa tournament for a year.

he gets credit for last year getting the team back into the tournament.

just like he gets the blame for the other years of not getting to the tournament. losing to teams they shouldn't.

currently have the worst scoring margin in the sec.

have a mismanged roster of 6 seniors, something he did at missouri also.

he gets credit but with some of us, he also gets the criticism.

That includes me. I have said he could use better assistant coaches. And I've said I'd like to see an ACE recruiter. But unlike you I see what Mike is doing. He's searching for pieces. He's looking for the lineup that gets it done defensively HIS WAY. And when he gets it this thing is gonna hum. You obsess over each individual game. I'm more of a big picture guy. IMO things will turn around.

Lets just let the season play out and decide at the end. Fair enough ?

Kevin

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 19, 2018, 12:02:57 pm
We just disagree. In his third year when we won 22 we were robbed from getting into the NCAA. Every year I see steady improvement. With the exception of the year we unexpectedly lost MQ and Portis. Now its on the rise again. If the past is an indicator we will win more than 26 this year.

So why be negative over a few early conferences loses ? I know. Some of you just don't like Mike.

i like cma fine. he is what he is. a steady coach who is never going to have a disaster year or have a big winning year.

for some of us, that is not good enough

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: Kevin on January 19, 2018, 12:06:00 pm
i like cma fine. he is what he is. a steady coach who is never going to have a disaster year or have a big winning year.

for some of us, that is not good enough

Again lets let the season play out. Then revisit this topic.

GuvHog

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 19, 2018, 12:02:57 pm

It has nothing to do with how I feel about Mike. I happen to believe he's a fine man and a good ambassador for the University. The Problem is, he is an average coach who will never exceed that. Until coming to Arkansas, he's never been anywhere long enough to show that he can build a big time winning basketball program and his tenure at Arkansas reflects that he can't.

Kevin

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 19, 2018, 12:07:26 pm
Again lets let the season play out. Then revisit this topic.

ok, put he is really going to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat to get into the ncaa's. nit will not cut it with me

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: GuvHog on January 19, 2018, 12:08:38 pm
It has nothing to do with how I feel about Mike. I happen to believe he's a fine man and a good ambassador for the University. The Problem is, he is an average coach who will never exceed that. Until coming to Arkansas, he's never been anywhere long enough to show that he can build a big time winning basketball program and his tenure at Arkansas reflects that he can't.

Ok so if this team makes it to the elite 8 this year will you delete your account ?

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: Kevin on January 19, 2018, 12:10:02 pm
ok, put he is really going to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat to get into the ncaa's. nit will not cut it with me

First thing you have said that we can agree on.

GuvHog

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 19, 2018, 12:10:20 pm
Ok so if this team makes it to the elite 8 this year will you delete your account ?

They aren't going to make the elite 8 and no I won't delete my account. Mike had an Elite 8 talented team in Portis's last season and didn't make it past the second round. He had an Elite 8 talented team last year and again didn't make it past the second round.

I'll be pleased if they just get to the Sweet 16.

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: GuvHog on January 19, 2018, 12:17:12 pm
They aren't going to make the elite 8 and no I won't delete my account. Mike had an Elite 8 talented team in Portis's last season and didn't make it past the second round. He had an Elite 8 talented team last year and again didn't make it past the second round.

I'll be pleased if they just get to the Sweet 16.

Wait. But Mike is an awful coach and needs to be fired. If you are so sure of that then put your money where your mouth is. If this team doesn't make the elite 8 say you will delete your account. After all, you are that sure of your position right ?

GuvHog

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 19, 2018, 12:22:59 pm
Wait. But Mike is an awful coach and needs to be fired. If you are so sure of that then put your money where your mouth is. If this team doesn't make the elite 8 say you will delete your account. After all, you are that sure of your position right ?

Where did I say I want Mike fired?? I stated in another thread that I won't call for Mike's head because there are still a lot of games left and I stand by that. I'm not happy with the way the team is playing and that's on Mike.  As I said, if Mike turns things around and this team makes it past the second round of the NCAA Tournament this year, I'll be very pleased. If the Hogs don't make the Big Dance then Mike is in trouble because after losing 6 Seniors and possibly Gafford, next year doesn't look good at all.

Also, I never said Mike is an awful coach.

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: GuvHog on January 19, 2018, 12:34:34 pm
Where did I say I want Mike fired?? I stated in another thread that I won't call for Mike's head because there are still a lot of games left and I stand by that. I'm not happy with the way the team is playing and that's on Mike.  As I said, if Mike turns things around and this team makes it past the second round of the NCAA Tournament this year, I'll be very pleased. If the Hogs don't make the Big Dance then Mike is in trouble because after losing 6 Seniors and possibly Gafford, next year doesn't look good at all.

Also, I never said Mike is an awful coach.

Ok well you jumped into the conversation about whether or not he should be fired. So I took it as your position when you came in on it and started arguing against my points.

You did say that he was just an average coach. Thats pretty insulting. Other than Bielema I don't know too many average coach making millions. But you have your opinion. I bet our average coach turns it around this year. If he makes the sweet 16 or elite 8 you will say what ? That average Mike got lucky ?

hogsanity

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 19, 2018, 01:08:06 pm
Ok well you jumped into the conversation about whether or not he should be fired. So I took it as your position when you came in on it and started arguing against my points.

You did say that he was just an average coach. Thats pretty insulting. Other than Bielema I don't know too many average coach making millions. But you have your opinion. I bet our average coach turns it around this year. If he makes the sweet 16 or elite 8 you will say what ? That average Mike got lucky ?

Actually, most coaches are average, very few are in the top 20 every year, in any sport.

PolishPigPower

Quote from: hogsanity on January 18, 2018, 08:56:45 am
I doubt he told them anything, I do not think he knows what to tell any of them. He sure does not know how to correct any of it.

Play with more high energy.  Play with more intensity.  They're all intense, high energy players.  Discipline and fundamentals would be neat to have, too...
Quote from: Cooper on November 16, 2008, 10:35:46 pm
I might try my hand at some porn.

Quote from: Breems on May 02, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
Last post in the Tavern here.  See you guys.  Have fun.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 19, 2018, 11:18:49 am

I am a big Mike Anderson fan. Hogsanity and others are a bit blinded by their disdain, but Anderson owns the poor play. His team is better than how it has performed. In the Mizzou game alone, ONE player gave up 22 points off poorly executed switches or leaving his man inexcusably. He did this in games prior and since, no reaction or changes. Mike's ability at this point doesn't matter. If he does not make the tourney this year, he should be let go.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

orvillesghost

What other program on earth with a tradition like ours would keep someone six years who has

1. Never won his conference's regular season championship
2. Never gone past the round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament.
3. Only made the NCAA Tournament in two out of six seasons.

And we aren't much of a threat to do the first of those in year seven.

How this mediocrity *and let's call it by its rightful name* can be defended is beyond me.

A simple thing, if he doesn't accomplish 1. or 2. this year, can him. If he does, well great, he has earned another year.

hawg66

Quote from: Danny J on January 18, 2018, 10:17:28 am

Last year we stopped the switching, for the most part, after the Vandy loss. Coincidence we went on a long run? Hmmmmm....

Start playing matchup zone and hedging and rotating back when playing man. Problem on D solved and Mike knows this. He did it last year. Pushing tempo is going to be his downfall without the correct personnel the same as CBB in football. Pure stubbornness
Explain to me how these points prove that Anderson can't or won't change things up.

GuvHog

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 19, 2018, 01:08:06 pm

If the Hogs make the Sweet Sixteen this year, I will congratulate the team on a very good season and give Mike the credit he would rightly deserve for that achievement.

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on January 19, 2018, 01:33:03 pm
I am a big Mike Anderson fan. Hogsanity and others are a bit blinded by their disdain, but Anderson owns the poor play. His team is better than how it has performed. In the Mizzou game alone, ONE player gave up 22 points off poorly executed switches or leaving his man inexcusably. He did this in games prior and since, no reaction or changes. Mike's ability at this point doesn't matter. If he does not make the tourney this year, he should be let go.

I agree with your last sentence. Assuming we could find a better coach. The switching is Mike's call. I'd rather get beat by Missouri in Jan than get knocked out of the SEC tournament in the first round. I said that to say that Mike is looking at getting this team better over time. Not a quick fix solution. He has an idea of what he wants to accomplish as a team and he sticks to his gun. What brought down Bielema ? Getting away from what he knows best.

Thats why I continue to say let the season play out. This team will learn to play physical against crappy SEC officials and will be all the better for it come post season. But certainly if not a change should be considered.

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: orvillesghost on January 19, 2018, 01:46:10 pm
What other program on earth with a tradition like ours would keep someone six years who has

1. Never won his conference's regular season championship
2. Never gone past the round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament.
3. Only made the NCAA Tournament in two out of six seasons.

And we aren't much of a threat to do the first of those in year seven.

How this mediocrity *and let's call it by its rightful name* can be defended is beyond me.

A simple thing, if he doesn't accomplish 1. or 2. this year, can him. If he does, well great, he has earned another year.

Frankly, its defended because its much better than we were the last 20 years.

Athog

Paul

Quote from: hawg66 on January 19, 2018, 01:55:32 pm
Explain to me how these points prove that Anderson can't or won't change things up.
Stevie Wonder can see that over the last 7 years.

HogBreath

We haven't had the talent to compete. Its just now getting better.

Acchhh...dead wrong, the talent level is going the wrong direction, once we had guys like Portis, Kingsley, Clarke and Qualls, not so much nowadays.  Now we have Gafford and Barford and that's about it.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: HogBreath on January 19, 2018, 05:08:03 pm
Acchhh...dead wrong, the talent level is going the wrong direction, once we had guys like Portis, Kingsley, Clarke and Qualls, not so much nowadays.  Now we have Gafford and Barford and that's about it.

Lets agree to disagree. Gafford is a fresh and one of the best I've ever seen. We also have Macon. Who has been off lately. But is a very good performer. He's just in a slump. Darious Hall is going to be really good SOON. Beard gets a lot of hate here but he's talented. CJ Jones is pretty good as well. This team is way more than just Gafford and Beard.

raz1965

I doubt that one that has no clue how too coach could beat a final four team on there home floor an take the natiinal.champion team to the wire as the Razorbacks did last year. Sports are full of ups an downs , negative fans an positive fans. I chose to have hope an be positive as facts.have proven that Mike does know how to coach. I think fans are overreacting  for the most part an then some truly just want Mike gone  to satisfie there long standing agenda of seeing there prediction of failure come to pass. I end by saying I'm a hog fan regardless of whom is the coach. My belief in Mike , is totally based on beleiving.he can take the Razorbacks too the top an I have seen program improvement since his arrival which cannot be argued with stats.

HogBreath

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 19, 2018, 05:15:46 pm
Lets agree to disagree. Gafford is a fresh and one of the best I've ever seen. We also have Macon. Who has been off lately. But is a very good performer. He's just in a slump. Darious Hall is going to be really good SOON. Beard gets a lot of hate here but he's talented. CJ Jones is pretty good as well. This team is way more than just Gafford and Beard.
Disagree all you'd like...Portis was SEC player of the year, Kingsley was SEC preseason player of the year, Qualls was the most dynamic, exciting player in college basketball for two seasons.  Gafford could rival that, but there's nothing else even kinda close.  You're reaching, really badly.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: HogBreath on January 19, 2018, 05:29:05 pm
Disagree all you'd like...Portis was SEC player of the year, Kingsley was SEC preseason player of the year, Qualls was the most dynamic, exciting player in college basketball for two seasons.  Gafford could rival that, but there's nothing else even kinda close.  You're reaching, really badly.

Hide and watch.

HogBreath

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 19, 2018, 05:32:42 pm
Hide and watch.
What if I just rewatched the LSU or Florida games?  Then hide.

ParkerSchnabel

Gafford will wind up being better than Moses and Portis when its all said and done. And Barford is better than Qualls. Macon is very good. And Hall and CJ will also be impact players. The talent level has improved. Some of it is still young.

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: HogBreath on January 19, 2018, 05:34:59 pm
What if I just rewatched the LSU or Florida games?  Then hide.

Why not just watch yourself to the Missouri boards ? So we don't have to listen to your nonsense.